users online
フォーラム » Windower » General » Packet Restriction
Packet Restriction
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-10-10 17:28:11  
Is there any reason the C++ API is still not available/packets are still restricted? I can think of quite a few things that could be added with minimal work, but no access to outgoing packets in Lua is a roadblock. Obviously a few packets could cause balance issues, but anyone smart enough to write the appropriate program could just as easily do so on Ashita, which has no packet restrictions and is freely distributed.

(I'm in the process of making a heavily-featured inventory manager, would have liked to make it work for both. As is, being limited to Itemizer for packet movement is a pretty big hindrance. For the Ashita end, I just threw together a plugin that takes the same arguments the packet actually uses, so the manager has full access. Also missing a way to send the drop packet in Windower.)

I realize it's possible to add the packet through windower without using a windower API, or limp through with itemizer, but seeing as the function already exists I thought I'd ask. My apologies if this was read as discourteous, I'm just not understanding the reasoning for holding back features that are freely available with the competition.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-10-10 19:19:05  
Aureus waffles about this, but the general consensus is that the limitations are being removed from v4.1 in an upcoming update.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2013-11-05 07:58:53  
This has now been enabled in 4.1, although a move_item function has already been available for a few weeks. But now packet modification/injection is unrestricted. See the wiki for a documentation of move_item.

Also, if there are any specific functions you wish the Lua API had let us know, we much prefer adding a Lua function with proper safeguards enabled on the C++ side than to make users experiment with packet injection, if we can see a good use for it.