users online
Yay science!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-29 15:01:21  
Personal preference; having individual threads for these would be far more helpful. We don't really need (or want) another Ni or RT, and science is far too broad a topic.

There are plenty of news sites for finding various things in different fields, it is the conversation on the particular topic which is what is brought to the table here.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-29 15:08:50  
Well, I just thought it would be interesting and bring some non-inflammatory discussion rather than the usual let's skin each other. I'm sorry if it's considered bothersome instead.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-29 15:12:57  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Well, I just thought it would be interesting and bring some non-inflammatory discussion rather than the usual let's skin each other. I'm sorry if it's considered bothersome instead.
Feel free to keep providing topics, but please start them individually. People will post/comment to ones they find interesting, and so begins the discussions.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-29 15:36:15  
I dunno, I kinda like it the way it is. Most of these topics wouldn't warrant their own thread anyway, and the few that do could be moved into their own thread.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-29 20:16:24  
I like it too. Not that I don't think some things deserve their own thread but I'm much more likely to post in a thread like this than I am to start my own thread.

And speaking of...

Some really cold brown dwarfs that are super close to us
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-29 20:27:20  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
If I had a particularly large supply of impossible wishes, one of them would be to be safely outfitted and transported to one of the stars in the sky that is cold enough for human beings to walk on. I know there are a dozen other factors involved in such bodies that would kill me in an instant, but there's something inherently intriguing about walking on a thing that was once too bright to even look directly at and which output more energy than the human species has used in the full history of our species.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-29 22:37:38  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
If I had a particularly large supply of impossible wishes, one of them would be to be safely outfitted and transported to one of the stars in the sky that is cold enough for human beings to walk on. I know there are a dozen other factors involved in such bodies that would kill me in an instant, but there's something inherently intriguing about walking on a thing that was once too bright to even look directly at and which output more energy than the human species has used in the full history of our species.
For someone who has such an interest in space, I'll admit, I didn't know until today that you could have something still labeled star that was cold and much less arctic levels of cold. There's two more that are apparently room temp. I'd totally be out there on the surface with smash mouth playing but I figure the gravity alone, as the smallest of these is 3-10 times the mass of Jupiter, would take care of you quite nicely. I doubt the surface is something that could be stood on anyway, even if it didn't melt your face off from a few thousand km away.

But perhaps eventually...
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-01 07:17:12  
In the 1970s, Scientists Discovered a 2 Billion-Year-Old Nuclear Reactor in West Africa
-Since then, they’ve been using the data from this reactor to study how nuclear waste migrates through the environment

Quote:
The Oklo story ebds with a damp squib. After a period of intense interest in the early 1970s, mining continued at Oklo and eventually all the natural reactors were mined out. The one exception was a shallow reactor zone at a place called Bangombé, some 30 kilometres from Oklo, although this has largely been washed out by ground water.

So these zones have been largely lost to science. That’s a shame. It also means that nuclear scientists are unlikely to get better data on natural nuclear reactors using the advanced techniques than those of available in the 1970s.

No other natural reactors have been discovered anywhere on Earth, making Oklo unique. At least for the moment.

A study published in April (available for free!) using data from this natural reactor
Oklo reactors and implications for nuclear science
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-04 11:59:30  

In the race to colonise Mars, microbes may end up beating humans!

Quote:
Three recent scientific papers examined the risks of interplanetary exchange of organisms using research from the International Space Station (ISS).

"After testing exposure to the simulated Mars environment, we wanted to see what would happen in real space, and EuTEF gave us the chance," said Venkateswaran.

"To our surprise, some of the spores survived for 18 months," said Venkateswaran.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-04 12:13:46  
Can send a man to the moon but God help us if he will put his clothes in the laundry basket.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-05-04 12:53:38  
cant get the video to work, idk why....

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-05-04 12:57:27  
Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

Did you know? lots of pokemon things are based off actual science

also that fungus that effects paras in the game is based off of an actual fungus, it's also the fungus they use in last of us.......
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-04 12:58:00  
Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »

Did you know? lots of pokemon things are based off actual science

also that fungus that effects paras in the game is based off of an actual fungus, it's also the fungus they use in last of us.......
Remove the 's' after http
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-05-04 12:58:28  
fixed...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-05 06:16:56  
The plan to break Europa's ice and explore its ocean

Sadly at least 10 years away, but the article is interesting and explains how they wanna crush through Jupiter's moon ice and eventually send a submarine robot in the ocean beneath to search for life forms.

And this is particularly interesting to me:

New element on the periodic table
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-05-05 08:27:28  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
We don't really need (or want) another Ni or RT

I have requested the moderators remove your post since you have neglected to provide any polling data or any scientific data to back up your bilious claim.

Furthermore, I submit this scientific evidence in rebuttal.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-05-07 06:55:57  
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-08 15:13:10  
Bacteria engineered with expansed DNA

On the way to become god, humanity created life! Jokes aside, this has quite a lot of implication for the possible uses that can be obtained from it.

And there's this very cool video they made which is a 4 minutes simulation of the universe.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-12 12:59:00  
*** Medi-Gel!. Mass Effect Reality is one scientific advancement closer.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-13 04:59:05  
Discovered a plant that eats nickel!

This plant absorbs thousand more times than others nickel in the ground. It could be used to clear fields contaminated with metals, which sounds pretty awesome(at least it would be quite useful around here).
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-19 15:17:05  
AIDs pill stops (up to)92% of new Infections.

So, would you roll the dice?
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-05-19 15:26:58  
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Roll the dice as in using this medication as an excuse to have unprotected sex with strangers? I wouldn't. :X
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8