users online
Yay science!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-22 14:56:53  
Fenrir.Sathicus said: »
Being pedantic because I actually agree with you, but being correct is important. We have a sample size of 1 for locations where life exists in the universe.

The statics are mind blowing on this though, the sheer size and diversity guarantee's that "Earth Event" has happened or will happen a few million times. And that's just restricting it to just "Earth" conditions, the moment you open up the possibility for exotic chemistry, tidal fricting heating and other non-Earth-normal situations then it becomes impossible for life not to be everywhere. It's virtually guaranteed that microbiological life has existed on Mars at some point in time, likely around the same time it started on earth 3+ billion years ago. Mar's just had it's atmosphere zapped away and surface bombarded with high energy solar radiation which ended any evolution that would of taken place.

It just won't be life we recognize.

Brings up a point I like to make with people about cosmic events. The concept of time is radically different then what us humans are used to. Our entire "civilization" has been around what, maybe 10,000 years if we stretch it? We as a species have been around maybe 60,000 years, protohumans since 100,000 years. To us that seems like such a huge amount of time but in a cosmic sense that's merely a rounding error. Cosmic events take place in millions if not billions of solar years time scales. Universe is nearly 14 billion solar years old at best estimate with there being 100 billion galaxies in the visible universe alone (meaning 5~10x more actually exist). Each of those galaxies has tens of billions of star systems. The sheer number of stars in the universe is a number so massive that it's beyond human comprehension.

Makes a human feel very small and insignificant in the grand ordering of things.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sathicus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: SathQuetz
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:59:52  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Fenrir.Sathicus said: »
Being pedantic because I actually agree with you, but being correct is important. We have a sample size of 1 for locations where life exists in the universe.

The statics are mind blowing on this though, the sheer size and diversity guarantee's that "Earth Event" has happened or will happen a few million times. And that's just restricting it to just "Earth" conditions, the moment you open up the possibility for exotic chemistry, tidal fricting heating and other non-Earth-normal situations then it becomes impossible for life not to be everywhere. It's virtually guaranteed that microbiological life has existed on Mars at some point in time, likely around the same time it started on earth 3+ billion years ago. Mar's just had it's atmosphere zapped away and surface bombarded with high energy solar radiation which ended any evolution that would of taken place.

It just won't be life we recognize.

Brings up a point I like to make with people about cosmic events. The concept of time is radically different then what us humans are used to. Our entire "civilization" has been around what, maybe 10,000 years if we stretch it? We as a species have been around maybe 60,000 years, protohumans since 100,000 years. To us that seems like such a huge amount of time but in a cosmic sense that's merely a rounding error. Cosmic events take place in millions if not billions of solar years time scales. Universe is nearly 14 billion solar years old at best estimate with there being 100 billion galaxies in the visible universe alone (meaning 5~10x more actually exist). Each of those galaxies has tens of billions of star systems. The sheer number of stars in the universe is a number so massive that it's beyond human comprehension.

Makes a human feel very small and insignificant in the grand ordering of things.

Like I said, I don't disagree with you. Just stating, concretely, that there is other life in the universe is misleading and wrong, as of right now.

It is important to separate what we know to be true from what we can rigorously prove.
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2017-02-22 15:29:37  
scientifically speaking there is confirmed life in outer space.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 15:52:47  
Nadleeh Sakurai said: »
scientifically speaking there is confirmed life in outer space.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-03-03 04:34:18  
First synthetic embryo created from stem cells

At Cambridge they achieved this extraordinary feat! Mind you it will not develop into a foetus because it's missing some parts, but their aim is to study embryo development to better understand the pathologies associated with it.

As for artificial humans, we're still far away from it!
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-03-17 12:26:14  
friendly reminder that science is painful

I just took my PhD qualifying exams today and yesterday (12 hours of testing in total...)

let me tell you about markov decision processes
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-03-21 14:40:06  
Mine was 8 hours in one day. Very not fun.
By anik 2017-03-21 21:13:32  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
friendly reminder that science is painful

I just took my PhD qualifying exams today and yesterday (12 hours of testing in total...)

let me tell you about markov decision processes
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE INDOCTRINATED!!! NOW GO SELL SELL SELL!!!!
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-26 17:11:53  
Health: Researchers grow heart tissue on spinach leaves

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-04-11 17:08:24  
Intelligent Machines
The Dark Secret at the Heart of AI
No one really knows how the most advanced algorithms do what they do. That could be a problem.

MIT technology review

Deep article about deep learning.

Thank you. Fixed.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-04-11 17:56:50  

link doesn't work

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-04-26 20:45:53  
Humans May Have Occupied North America 100,000 Years Earlier Than Thought
Live Science.

Links in the article.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-09 16:27:04  
Could marijuana hold a key to keeping our brains forever young? Science is starting to find out.

I'm probably safe...
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-05-09 17:46:40  
S C I E N C E ! ! !
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-05-15 11:08:09  
Nuclear Scientist Crowned Miss USA
'I love science,' says Miss DC Kara McCullough

Quote:
(Newser) – Kara McCullough, a scientist working for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, has been crowned Miss USA. McCullough, who represented the District of Columbia in the decades-old pageant, was born in Naples, Italy, and raised in Virginia Beach, Va. She says she wants to inspire children to pursue careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, the AP reports. "I love science," McCullough said after the Sunday event. "I look at this as a great opportunity to ... get to experience worldwide culture, as well as just having the opportunity to be impacted by so many children, hopefully in the math and sciences." ...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-06-03 19:33:09  
This article has several big holy freaking **** moments in it.
LIGO’s 3rd gravitational wave detection
I have only one question they didn't cover in the article. How do they measure distance? Do gravity waves redshift?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-05 19:27:13  
Leave it to Donny being out of his element Josi bringing up weed in a science discussion.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-07-02 10:41:22  
And in the Big Brother is watching you department....

Mini Driverless Cop Cars to Hunt for Criminals in Dubai
They will patrol various areas of the city while scanning faces looking for known criminals and other people of interest to the authorities.

PC Magazine

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [37 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-08 00:10:49  
University develops miracle device that can heal organs and tissue in a ‘fraction of a second’
This is an OMFG wow.
[+]
By Darksparksnot 2017-08-08 04:34:35  
If this is real it will be 100% military only.
By Yandaime 2017-08-08 07:22:56  
Darksparksnot said: »
If this is real it will be 100% military only.

Most medical advances start as military/rich only for the purpose of having an abundance of test subjects. It's been this way for quite a while actually. Concept test it in the field then release it to the public. This was with Cellular Phones, Microwave Ovens, Solar Panels, etc. You can pretty much name it and odds are the military played with it first (unless you're rich)
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-28 15:26:50  
Swords into plowshares dept.

The Air Force Uses Ex-Nuclear Missiles to Loft Satellites Into Space
The Minotaur space launch vehicle is a repurposed Peacekeeper ICBM.

Popular Mechanics

Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-09-09 19:21:37  
For all the weaher geeks here.

See Hurricane Irma in Motion in These NASA and NOAA Gifs
Space.com

Its a format I don't knoe how to copy.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [118 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-05 20:59:10  
This Artificial Muscle Costs 10 Cents to Make. And It’s As Strong As an Elephant.
A team of young scientists hopes to use the device for prosthetics and industrial applications.

Read this one and think about sexbots.
By anik 2018-01-05 21:00:42  
Bruno Mars is gay is the most discussed in the media in the few years ago. Even it has happened in 2018, but some of the public still curious about what is exactly happening and to be the reason there is a rumor comes out about his gay. At that time he became the massive social networking rumor. The public, especially his fans are shocked. He just came out with his bad rumor which is spread massively. This time is not about his music career, but his bad rumor. The rumor is out of standardize of hoax, according the last reported this singer revealed himself as homosexual. Do you still believe or not, this rumor is really much talked by people even in a person of his fans.
 Asura.Cair
VIP
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2018-01-06 00:36:36  
are you ok
[+]
By Blazed1979 2018-01-06 06:32:49  
anik said: »
Bruno Mars is gay is the most discussed in the media in the few years ago. Even it has happened in 2018, but some of the public still curious about what is exactly happening and to be the reason there is a rumor comes out about his gay. At that time he became the massive social networking rumor. The public, especially his fans are shocked. He just came out with his bad rumor which is spread massively. This time is not about his music career, but his bad rumor. The rumor is out of standardize of hoax, according the last reported this singer revealed himself as homosexual. Do you still believe or not, this rumor is really much talked by people even in a person of his fans.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8