日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » I <3 DRK... Should I cry
I <3 DRK... Should I cry
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-15 03:49:41  
If your going to be serious about playing DRK as a DD in high end content, for the love of god don't go around full timing Apoc or using Torcleaver (outside of fairly rare situations). Rag + Reso spam is usually the way it go if you don't have a Liberator. Equip a ton of multi-attack and you will put out a high volume of both melee and WS damage.

Torc @1000 TP (Moonshade) = 5.43 fTP 80% VIT +1.0 fTP per DA
Torc @1000 TP (Moonshade + belt/gorget) 5.63 fTP 80% VIT +1.0 fTP per DA
Reso @1000 TP (Moonshade + Ele belt / gorget) = 5.55 fTP 85% STR + 1.11 fTP per DA, -15% attack

Reso will average higher then Torc unless the boss removed your attack buffs (roll / song / LR / food / endark) or had something like Harden Shell up. Torc will also be better if you have low accuracy as then reso starts missing hits. If this situation occurs then I'd start questioning the selection of buff / debuff and gearsets. VIT really is a bad modifier, not as bad as AGI / CHR / MND / INT but much worse then STR / DEX.
By Voren 2014-11-15 03:51:45  
Wouldn't apoc still be worth getting as a situational piece?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-15 03:54:14  
Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:
If your offense is killing you in certain fights I could suggest full timing the Fallen's Sollerets +1. I don't personally use these boots outside of PvP but with Last Resort up I only lose about 100 def with the shoes on.
What? You just need to cast LR with them on fulltiming them does nothing but add some subtle blow to Last Resort.

Also this thread is hilarious, Drk isn't unplayable and is your average mid range DD right now. Please god do not sub Blu, use Apoc, use Infernal Scythe, or basically do anything suggested in this thread.

DRK is a tier 1 DD along with WAR and MNK. It goes like this

Tier 0 SAM (Fudo is broke as *** right now)
Tier 1 DRK / WAR / MNK / DRG (only with Mythic)
Tier 2 DRG (not Mythic) / BLU (full offensive spec) / NIN / DNC (full offensive spec) / THF / RUN / BST / RNG

Tier 2 really depends on the situation as those jobs each have pro and cons that change where they fall. Tier 1 is pretty much tied in raw potential with tier 0 being the currently broken Fudo spam Tsurumaru / Koga SAM.
 Asura.Failaras
サーバ: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-11-15 03:55:48  
Quote:
If your going to be serious about playing DRK as a DD in high end content, for the love of god don't go around full timing Apoc or using Torcleaver (outside of fairly rare situations). Rag + Reso spam is usually the way it go if you don't have a Liberator. Equip a ton of multi-attack and you will put out a high volume of both melee and WS damage.
I don't disagree that Reso is a better WS than Torc, but the WS does make light with Fudo which is a relatively big deal these days. Given how powerful SCs currently are, you should probably use Torc pretty often actually, especially since Sam is the most common DD by a mile.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-15 03:58:39  
Voren said: »

Yes it would though it's really only for soloing old content or when your WHM is so bad they are drooling on their keyboard. Don't bring it on serious fights as your just wasting your WHM's time / MP. Good WHM's cure primarily with Curaga's and the more HP they cure the cheaper and better it is for them. I absolutely hate Apoc DRK's when I'm main healing, they do nothing but cause Cure IV/V's and Curaga IV's to hit for 0 on them. So the DRK is dealing less damage and costing the WHM more MP for absolutely zero benefit to the fight. It really is a shitty weapon now that die hard Cosplayers refuse to let go of.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-15 04:03:50  
Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:
I don't disagree that Reso is a better WS than Torc, but the WS does make light with Fudo which is a relatively big deal these days. Given how powerful SCs currently are, you should probably use Torc pretty often actually, especially since Sam is the most common DD by a mile.

Only in Yorcia or other situation where everything takes bonus SC damage. Also if it's only you and a SAM, otherwise it won't be worth the lower damage as the SC windows won't line up most of the time. I've done Tojil (just an example) on SAM with a mythic DRG who used SD to make darkness (Tojil weak to water) with my Fudo. The SCs where no where near as powerful as they are in Yorcia. So it really is situational and I'd hope that a DRK who was participating in high end content would be knowledgeable enough in game mechanics to chose the appropriate tool for the job. Reso is stronger then Torc by a fairly large amount and it should be the default damage WS unless the situation dictates otherwise.

Remember Reso -> Fudo makes Distortion so you it's not like your going from zero SC to many SC's. Also souleater is per hit and Torc only has one vs Reso's five, it's a JA that really depends on your WHM being quick and knowing to keep the cures coming but it can really jump your numbers up.
By Voren 2014-11-15 04:04:45  
I was thinking more of low man situations and old content (like you said).

Before leaving yet again I was working on both apoc and rag. I figured that I could solo my remaining old content with apoc and use rag on DRK for end game content.

I was also toying with the idea of making liberator, but that would've come later.
 Cerberus.Detzu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-11-15 04:20:39  
Voren said: »

Except Liberator you can consider all scythes as rank C weapons. Greater base dmg = less dmg : SE logic...
 Asura.Myrrh
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2014-11-15 05:10:52  
Wow. So much ignorance.

Play what you want. DRK is fun and does good DD. Just about every contrary poster is just saying "throw a fudo at it." Your SAM isn't good. Fudo is broken. Broken Fudo doesn't make you a good DD. it just makes you a number in a mass.

Ay the end of the day, beating delve with a SAM, DRK or DNC is still a win. Get off the bandwagon, get a friend, and consider a personality too.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-11-15 05:35:20  
Victorion said: »
Hi everyone,

So, I am a returning player and still getting everything sorted out.

I love DRK- I took it to lvl70 for my Maat fight, though plan to take THF and COR to 99 before anything else to get some gear and gil sorted.

Reading the treads, it seems that DRK doesn't really have a place end game. I am wondering if it doesn't have a place unless exceptionally geared, or is it just sort of fail no matter how well geared (i.e. other jobs fill the roll better 90%+ no matter what)?

Basically... is it worth putting the time into gearing DRK, or should I just have a cry and get over it?
DRK is a good job but if you do want to play it in end game expect to get a apocalypse and ragnarock. mythic is optional but it would help you alot
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-15 09:31:43  
Asura.Myrrh said: »
Wow. So much ignorance.

Play what you want. DRK is fun and does good DD. Just about every contrary poster is just saying "throw a fudo at it." Your SAM isn't good. Fudo is broken. Broken Fudo doesn't make you a good DD. it just makes you a number in a mass.

Ay the end of the day, beating delve with a SAM, DRK or DNC is still a win. Get off the bandwagon, get a friend, and consider a personality too.

Except "broken Fudo" does make you a good DD, as it complete and utterly crushes anything any other job can offer bar certain situations.

It's cool to be a shiny DNC with 119 mythic and all, but don't confuse yourself with being anything but mediocre in the eyes of Samurai, and quite frankly, the playerbase.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-15 09:56:25  
Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
Victorion said: »
Hi everyone,

So, I am a returning player and still getting everything sorted out.

I love DRK- I took it to lvl70 for my Maat fight, though plan to take THF and COR to 99 before anything else to get some gear and gil sorted.

Reading the treads, it seems that DRK doesn't really have a place end game. I am wondering if it doesn't have a place unless exceptionally geared, or is it just sort of fail no matter how well geared (i.e. other jobs fill the roll better 90%+ no matter what)?

Basically... is it worth putting the time into gearing DRK, or should I just have a cry and get over it?
DRK is a good job but if you do want to play it in end game expect to get a apocalypse and ragnarock. mythic is optional but it would help you alot
Rag would be a needed to compete with other end game DD in group settings, but apoc's niche for very low man and solo has very little to still offer beyond a quick heal on cata. Weigh that utility for your investment, but I would not place it in any need category.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-15 15:16:18  
When the biggest knock against a job is "it's not samurai", there's nothing wrong with it. That's pretty much where dark knight is. It's not samurai, but it's a very solid DD job. I've started playing it recently, and I find it very fun, with lots of variety. You get two viable weapons, magic, access to great gear, and so on.

There aren't many active drk's still out there but that's because SAM is easier to gear and play, not because there's something flawed with the job. Play it if you like it!
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-15 16:10:48  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
It's sad because I don't see many DRKs anymore. I have been playing DRK for ten years, and it really has gone through stages of strength. It appears MNK and SAM are used more nowadays, they have more tools to stay alive and deliver consistent damage. Nevetheless, I have played DRK in all the current endgame events. Skirmish, Delve, Wildskeeper, Incursion, Unity, all of these events are available to a good dark knight. You need to be well geared, preferably using a Ragnarok or Liberator 119 to keep up with other DD, but it really is fun. I have THF and COR too, they have 119 gear galore, but I will never have as much on them than I do DRK.

Sometimes I know THF will be better. Or the party needs them extra buffs so I will go COR. But if I can get away with it, I will go on DRK, and I will end up tanking NM, and surviving. When I get a party where I'm not taking the hate, I know I am with good DD (and there are some excellent DD on Cerberus that blow me away), and I can really go all out. DRK requires a good use of TP sets, weaponskill sets, and dark magic/absorb sets to get the best out of it. Yes, dark magic is unique, and you should be using it when you can without hurting your dps too much.

The overall damage of DRK is really good. We tend to fall behind on mega boss like Tojil when damage phases come into it, (formless strikes, and the last 25%), but you make up for it in other ways (like tojil from 50%-25%), so you can still contribute.

A DRK with a good damage taken set can survive. We have good defense, and there are plenty of options nowadays to make decent damage taken sets. All I can say is, pull your weight, and people will notice that, and they will invite you back over an average MNK. It's just become the norm to ask for a MNK or SAM because more people have those jobs leveled.

Name one.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-15 16:14:38  
All the good DRKs have retired.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-15 16:19:22  
Altimaomega said: »

One shotting your SCH in NNI makes you a Bad DRK Alitima.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-15 16:34:56  
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Altimaomega said: »

One shotting your SCH in NNI makes you a Bad DRK Alitima.

But in a good way!

On a serious note. A good well geared player can own with any DD, except warrior.. SE *** warrior hard..

If people don't wanna take your DRK either you ain't playing it right or they are a$$holes.
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-11-15 16:56:11  
Sometimes, I sit alone in my dark room, the only sound is My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade played at a low volume as I smoke cigarettes and breathe smoke as dark as my soul.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-15 17:10:34  
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
It's sad because I don't see many DRKs anymore. I have been playing DRK for ten years, and it really has gone through stages of strength. It appears MNK and SAM are used more nowadays, they have more tools to stay alive and deliver consistent damage. Nevetheless, I have played DRK in all the current endgame events. Skirmish, Delve, Wildskeeper, Incursion, Unity, all of these events are available to a good dark knight. You need to be well geared, preferably using a Ragnarok or Liberator 119 to keep up with other DD, but it really is fun. I have THF and COR too, they have 119 gear galore, but I will never have as much on them than I do DRK.

Sometimes I know THF will be better. Or the party needs them extra buffs so I will go COR. But if I can get away with it, I will go on DRK, and I will end up tanking NM, and surviving. When I get a party where I'm not taking the hate, I know I am with good DD (and there are some excellent DD on Cerberus that blow me away), and I can really go all out. DRK requires a good use of TP sets, weaponskill sets, and dark magic/absorb sets to get the best out of it. Yes, dark magic is unique, and you should be using it when you can without hurting your dps too much.

The overall damage of DRK is really good. We tend to fall behind on mega boss like Tojil when damage phases come into it, (formless strikes, and the last 25%), but you make up for it in other ways (like tojil from 50%-25%), so you can still contribute.

A DRK with a good damage taken set can survive. We have good defense, and there are plenty of options nowadays to make decent damage taken sets. All I can say is, pull your weight, and people will notice that, and they will invite you back over an average MNK. It's just become the norm to ask for a MNK or SAM because more people have those jobs leveled.

Name one.

Name one DD? Nah ... I know who they are, and so do you.
By mortontony1 2014-11-15 17:11:05  
Anna Ruthven said: »
Sometimes, I sit alone in my dark room, the only sound is My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade played at a low volume as I smoke cigarettes and breathe smoke as dark as my soul.

#drkthoughts
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-15 17:13:55  
mortontony1 said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »

#drkthoughts

My chemical romance? Ew. Not heavy enough. Dark Knights do not listen to pop music.
サーバ: Sargatanas
Game: FFXIV
user: voiceless
By Sawg Madig 2014-11-15 17:17:47  
Macbain is a good GS to start with you can easily augument +8 STP and 18 acc fairly easy to make.
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-15 17:43:29  
Torcleaver with Mcbain is quite beastly, not a drk but seems better thn resolution on anything stronger than fodder, seen lots of 15k+'s.
By Fasaga 2014-11-16 12:43:21  
A little late to the thread but... It should be noted that unless you need the accuracy from ragnarok, it is not the best greatsword.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-16 12:47:45  
Fasaga said: »
A little late to the thread but... It should be noted that unless you need the accuracy from ragnarok, it is not the best greatsword.
I beg to differ. Then again, depends on the content, duration of fight etc. Consensus might agree ragnarok wins DPS over time.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-16 12:57:22  

Of course it is. Just because it doesn't have the highest dmg rating doesn't mean something like Macbain is better. It's all about the hidden effect, low delay, and obviously the accuracy on anything that matters. Otherwise ya probably better off using Kaquljaan with OAT. I wouldn't use that crap though, because as soon as accuracy doesn't matter, you would be on fodder, and something like THF would be much better to use imo.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-16 13:05:55  

I'm not sure about this. Depending on augments, I think either of the Skirmish greatswords are close in Delve1-level content. However, for "real" content (Yorcia Delve, Incursion) Ragnarok is going to be by-far the preferred option.
By Fasaga 2014-11-16 13:14:12  

Of course it is. Just because it doesn't have the highest dmg rating doesn't mean something like Macbain is better. It's all about the hidden effect, low delay, and obviously the accuracy on anything that matters. Otherwise ya probably better off using Kaquljaan with OAT. I wouldn't use that crap though, because as soon as accuracy doesn't matter, you would be on fodder, and something like THF would be much better to use imo.

If your doing things that matter, the buffs will be adjusted to meet accuracy needs.

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »

I'm not sure about this. Depending on augments, I think either of the Skirmish greatswords are close in Delve1-level content. However, for "real" content (Yorcia Delve, Incursion) Ragnarok is going to be by-far the preferred option.

Mekosuchus Blade beats it.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-16 16:28:04  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by using Meko over Ragnarok you are losing at least 50 accuracy (52ish), and that was just me comparing the combat skill on each weapon. If Meko had some accuracy and 242 skill, it would be a different story. We tend to favour Resolution, so accuracy is pretty important to DPS. On anything difficult, you can never expect to have full buffs all the time, nor can you expect to have all debuffs erased immediately.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-16 16:34:01  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by using Meko over Ragnarok you are losing at least 50 accuracy (52ish), and that was just me comparing the combat skill on each weapon. If Meko had some accuracy and 242 skill, it would be a different story. We tend to favour Resolution, so accuracy is pretty important to DPS. On anything difficult, you can never expect to have full buffs all the time, nor can you expect to have all debuffs erased immediately.

He stipulated with enough acc buffs.

But meh.