I <3 DRK... Should I cry
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-16 16:36:13  
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by using Meko over Ragnarok you are losing at least 50 accuracy (52ish), and that was just me comparing the combat skill on each weapon. If Meko had some accuracy and 242 skill, it would be a different story. We tend to favour Resolution, so accuracy is pretty important to DPS. On anything difficult, you can never expect to have full buffs all the time, nor can you expect to have all debuffs erased immediately.

He stipulated with enough acc buffs.

But meh.

Not denying it could rival Rag in certain situations, but to claim it is the best all round great sword in the game?
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-11-16 16:44:24  
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by using Meko over Ragnarok you are losing at least 50 accuracy (52ish), and that was just me comparing the combat skill on each weapon. If Meko had some accuracy and 242 skill, it would be a different story. We tend to favour Resolution, so accuracy is pretty important to DPS. On anything difficult, you can never expect to have full buffs all the time, nor can you expect to have all debuffs erased immediately.

He stipulated with enough acc buffs.

But meh.

Not denying it could rival Rag in certain situations, but to claim it is the best all round great sword in the game?

XHit, STP needs, Attack potential (it has +50 but lower skill so meh) etc etc.
By Fasaga 2014-11-16 18:39:15  
The purpose of my statement was more to quell the thought line of "if you want to play dark knight, you need ragnarok and apocalypse". I find that all too often, players spend all of their time & resources pursing and endgame weapon to be deemed useful but then are severally lacking overall. If you spend 100 million building a ragnarok, but then have no AF/Relic reforge 119, no R15 xaddi gear, no +1 cizin, your probably going to suck. So my advise to up those looking to play drk would be try and grab the meko blade from incursion, and for those situations when you do need that weapon accuracy try and get a mesyohi sword. It should be fairly easy to get since most people doing that bcnm would be after the hauby.
 Phoenix.Urteil
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-11-16 19:28:44  
Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:
If your offense is killing you in certain fights I could suggest full timing the Fallen's Sollerets +1. I don't personally use these boots outside of PvP but with Last Resort up I only lose about 100 def with the shoes on.
What? You just need to cast LR with them on fulltiming them does nothing but add some subtle blow to Last Resort.

Also this thread is hilarious, Drk isn't unplayable and is your average mid range DD right now. Please god do not sub Blu, use Apoc, use Infernal Scythe, or basically do anything suggested in this thread.

You don't even know how the item works, but yet you give advice.
If you take the shoes off you lose the defensive benefit. You must keep them on to reduce the amount of defense lost.

I personally never full time these shoes outside of Ballista and only vs. a select few jobs.

I suggest everyone leave this thread who is serious about this job. Feel free to PM me and I am happy to talk to anyone who has questions.
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
サーバ: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-16 19:31:14  
I suggest nobody PM that guy unless you want to be laughed out of alliances.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-16 19:45:17  
Fasaga said: »

That doesn't even beat a Crobaci +2 with +25 DMG and +10 WSD, does it? Or a Macbain with acc/atk and WSD.
 Asura.Myrrh
サーバ: Asura
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2014-11-16 19:45:44  
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Asura.Myrrh said: »
Wow. So much ignorance.

Play what you want. DRK is fun and does good DD. Just about every contrary poster is just saying "throw a fudo at it." Your SAM isn't good. Fudo is broken. Broken Fudo doesn't make you a good DD. it just makes you a number in a mass.

Ay the end of the day, beating delve with a SAM, DRK or DNC is still a win. Get off the bandwagon, get a friend, and consider a personality too.

Except "broken Fudo" does make you a good DD, as it complete and utterly crushes anything any other job can offer bar certain situations.

It's cool to be a shiny DNC with 119 mythic and all, but don't confuse yourself with being anything but mediocre in the eyes of Samurai, and quite frankly, the playerbase.

No? My understanding of what I am is very sound, thanks.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2014-11-16 20:41:37  
Funnest thing about DRK is having an Apoc using weird subs (/RDM /WHM /THF /BLU /MNK) in low man/old/mission content.

Least you have the ability on top of that to get a great sword and be useful in higher tier content.
 Siren.Sieha
サーバ: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-11-16 21:03:19  
Asura.Myrrh said: »
Wow. So much ignorance.

Play what you want. DRK is fun and does good DD. Just about every contrary poster is just saying "throw a fudo at it." Your SAM isn't good. Fudo is broken. Broken Fudo doesn't make you a good DD. it just makes you a number in a mass.

Ay the end of the day, beating delve with a SAM, DRK or DNC is still a win. Get off the bandwagon, get a friend, and consider a personality too.

In the end its you that is ignorant. If you are playing as a low class dd or if you just plain suck, then you are wasting other peoples time. yes you can beat some delves using drk but why would you? its like trying to screw in a screw using your bare hands vs using a screw driver or better yet an electric drill.

leave drk where it is, solo funses. when you're on the clock play a real job and get things done.
 Leviathan.Blittzjr
サーバ: Leviathan
user: tripletee
By Leviathan.Blittzjr 2014-11-16 21:04:34  
Drk isnt bad. If you plan on endgame I would get a REM weapon. Ive seen darks parse good enough to do endgame content. Point blank play what you want. They suffice as a DD, just make sure its geared well.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2014-11-16 22:12:09  
Taking DRK to endgame is more like trying to screw a screw in with a slightly slower drill that misses a few heads (aka stuff like formless strikes).

If you need a DD and DRK does enough DMG there really isn't any issue. That said when getting random people will avoid DRK since it's DMG varies so much more with gear/skill than most jobs.

That said DRK does have a few things that makes them "useful" like if ya not capping attack and your using chaos roll the +10% attack to the other DD will make up the DMG your lack and then some and if you have a shoddy stunner having DRK to back up stun is nice. Also soul enslavement is pretty strong and in 6 man events can stop mobs WSing for 30sec as your dmg skyrockets.
 Siren.Sieha
サーバ: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-11-16 22:43:52  
Leviathan.Blittzjr said: »
Drk isnt bad. If you plan on endgame I would get a REM weapon. Ive seen darks parse good enough to do endgame content. Point blank play what you want. They suffice as a DD, just make sure its geared well.

Right they are good enough to do somethings. If the drk is near perfectly geared then it will about equal a low end sam with tsuru.
By Fasaga 2014-11-16 23:52:42  
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »

That doesn't even beat a Crobaci +2 with +25 DMG and +10 WSD, does it? Or a Macbain with acc/atk and WSD.

hrm...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-17 00:07:36  
The only advantage Meko has over Ragnarok is x-hit. The base damage doesn't add up to much when you put in OD2.5 and 14% crit rate, the attack is basically even, and the accuracy is ~50 less. I can see it keeping up, and being close enough to be a reasonable stopgap while you focus on other gear, but it's in no way superior to Ragnarok.
By Voren 2014-11-17 00:21:40  
Plus Ragnarok is just sexier than a sword that looks like it came off the Titanic's rotor.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-17 01:15:19  

hrm...

The question mark was to give you the benefit of the doubt. The reality is, that weapon is down too much on accuracy to be a serious option for real content.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-17 02:27:31  
None of those weapons beat Rag in total DPS, the 13% proc of 2.5x and +14% crit become rather important. If you are using the DPS spreed sheets be sure to enable Rag as a 119 weapon, currently they only count Apoc for the 2.5x damage boost. With Rag you pretty much want to do a 6-hit and then stuff as much multi-attack as possible. 5-hit is possible but it requires you drop quite a bit of MA so you don't really get anywhere with it.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-17 09:50:07  

hrm...

After running in spreadsheets best-case scenario for Incursion blade (acc doesn't matter), I get Rag > Macbain with acc/atck and wsd > Crobaci with atk/sd > Meko. It's not even the best option where it's strongest... in Ragnarok's wheelhouse, it'll be thumped. So yeah, that's bad advice.
By Fasaga 2014-11-17 10:33:34  

hrm...

After running in spreadsheets best-case scenario for Incursion blade (acc doesn't matter), I get Rag > Macbain with acc/atck and wsd > Crobaci with atk/sd > Meko. It's not even the best option where it's strongest... in Ragnarok's wheelhouse, it'll be thumped. So yeah, that's bad advice.

What buffs did you use? With standard brd songs, Sam+chaos roll against tojil, meko is fair but ahead of rag. Again, my point was not to say ragnarok is bad, it was to quell the idea of ragnarok or bust.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-17 10:36:13  
Just curious Fasaga if you have a Ragnarok yourself? If you are beating Rag DRKs in a fully buffed situation, those DRKs must be horrible.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-17 10:49:49  

hrm...

What buffs did you use? With standard brd songs, Sam+chaos roll against tojil, meko is fair but ahead of rag. Again, my point was not to say ragnarok is bad, it was to quell the idea of ragnarok or bust.

I get the opposite, but whatever...

Nobody said "rag or bust", but it is a very obtainable weapon for basically anyone, and if you're serious about a job, especially one that isn't taken to most things, you should strive to obtain the best gear and weapon you reasonably can. The other GS's are stopgaps until rag, not alternatives.
By Fasaga 2014-11-17 10:54:48  
Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
Just curious Fasaga if you have a Ragnarok yourself? If you are beating Rag DRKs in a fully buffed situation, those DRKs must be horrible.

I do not have a ragnarok, nor do I play drk very often. I do however think that that given the nature of the OP's question, "how can I play this job I like after returning and being behind", the answer is not to drop 100+mil on a weapon when there is other choices that are either situationally 5% ahead or behind of said weapon.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-17 10:57:40  

hrm...

Target was debuffed Tojil, standard buffs (bard songs, cor rolls), and /SAM, so attack and accuracy were both capped or close. All four greatsword options were pretty close (~15 dps spread I think).

The thing is, I don't disagree with you. Ragnarok doesn't have a huge edge in Delve1-level content, if at all. But once you're jumping to content like Yorcia or Incursion, where every bit of accuracy matters, 50-some accuracy is just too much to give up. That's huge.

edit- would like to add that I don't have a Ragnarok. Yet. I have a project to finish for my wife, and then I will, though... I have about a third of the required currency already. Rag should be the first goal for anyone who wants to play drk.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-11-17 11:04:44  
Watch Attack on Titan and then Game of Thrones(all seasons), when you're done with that watch House of Cards. Avengers 2 and Superman vs Batman should be out by then.

At no time should you come back to this game if you enjoy playing any dps class other than SAM or MNK.

ESPECIALLY not DRK! =/
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-11-17 11:32:17  
Lakshmi.Neboh said: »

I do not have a ragnarok, nor do I play drk very often. I do however think that that given the nature of the OP's question, "how can I play this job I like after returning and being behind", the answer is not to drop 100+mil on a weapon when there is other choices that are either situationally 5% ahead or behind of said weapon.
I feel the same with with Tsu and Koga SAMs. Tsu isn't too far behind Koga but Koga still wins. Same with Rag, Rag still wins even if others aren't too far behind. I think what people are disagreeing with you on is your claim to say Ragnarok isn't the best choice. It's up to a person if they want to spend 100m on a relic that's only x % ahead. I guess it depends on how serious a person is playing the job, and how much he/she is willing to invest into it. If you don't play the job as often then I would agree on using other options.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-17 11:42:55  
Blazed1979 said: »
Watch Attack on Titan and then Game of Thrones(all seasons), when you're done with that watch House of Cards. Avengers 2 and Superman vs Batman should be out by then.

At no time should you come back to this game if you enjoy playing any dps class other than SAM or MNK.

ESPECIALLY not DRK! =/

Eh? Why all the doom and gloom? There's nothing majorly wrong with dark knight. I did a couple of pug Tojils over the weekend. There was another SAM in the party, and a monk. I did over 40% of direct damage (and over 10% of damage were my self-SCs), so about half of all damage was mine.. I literally doubled his damage. You're telling me that, on dark knight with Apoc or Liberator, you could not beat that samurai? edit: meant Rag or Liberator, sorry.

DRK should be roughly comparable to MNK, and while you won't beat a good samurai, I guarantee you that you'll beat a lot of average ones.
By Blazed1979 2014-11-17 12:13:52  
Blazed1979 said: »

ESPECIALLY not DRK! =/

Eh? Why all the doom and gloom? There's nothing majorly wrong with dark knight. I did a couple of pug Tojils over the weekend. There was another SAM in the party, and a monk. I did over 40% of direct damage (and over 10% of damage were my self-SCs), so about half of all damage was mine.. I literally doubled his damage. You're telling me that, on dark knight with Apoc or Liberator, you could not beat that samurai? edit: meant Rag or Liberator, sorry.

DRK should be roughly comparable to MNK, and while you won't beat a good samurai, I guarantee you that you'll beat a lot of average ones.
Because everyone who was worth anything quit the game and the only other people around are idiots who want sam or mnk onry.
No other melee jobs exist.
Solo content sucks.Better off playing console games.
 Bismarck.Gippali
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2014-11-17 12:30:29  
But the samurai circle jerk is all the rage right now!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-11-17 12:49:23  
Sigh. DRK does exist, and DRK does well. I have had occasions when someone has picked my DRK over a MNK. Not because the MNK was the worst DD of all time, but because the leader knew I would deliver the damage. DRK is great, get that Ragnarok and kill stuff. SAM is overpowered, I can admit that, but throughout the entirety of FFXI there has always been a "best" DD, and DRK was only seriously behind in the early days, when our accuracy sucked so much, and bad DRKs gave us a bad rep with their Souleater riding. Damn MP Sponges. I waited weeks for a party once, with my flag up constantly, but when I did get a party, I would be complimented for my bloodthirsty attitude. Leaving a good impression gets you invited back.

Point is, DRK is a really good DD if you know how to play it, and it has versatility. I don't solo on DRK very often, but if I seriously wanted to, I would build an Apoc. But I don't want to do that on DRK, it is all about the damage, so I would prefer to take my DRK into high buff situations and deliver the goods. I have seen some pretty bad SAM and MNK that can't keep up in recent times. I am rarely last on the parse, even against SAMs and MNKs, they have to be some of the best players players on the server for that to happen (Mythic 119 SAM and 119 Empy MNK usually). I have never said I am the best, I am an acceptable DD. I would say I am very good, but I am not elitist, I am more of a casual player, I don't play 24/7 like some, and I am not in an event linkshell. I do everything through PUGs.

Also why are people saying that something is better than a Ragnarok when a) they don't even have one, and b) they rarely play DRK. I rarely play Corsair, you don't see me going into the corsair forum and giving advice on what "the best" is. There are stopgap weapons for DRK, many of them actually. Senbaak isn't a bad start. Chances are if you are a casual player, you won't be getting into Incursion to even acquire a Meko Blade, so there's no point in pointing it out. Macbain is probably the easier option (as it doesn't solely rely on luck and sneaking into an Incursion party with a gimp job), but you still have to do Alluvion Skirmish, which is not really intended for someone who is returning.

If I had just returned, and I had no jobs levelled whatsoever. I would get DRK up to 99, buy a Senbaak, then I would work on getting loads of bayld. I would get access to all the zones that have wildskeeper reives, and get myself a Kaquljaan. Then I would augment it. From then on I would focus on a) sparks for reforged b) skirmish for cizin and c) farming gil for Ragnarok. I wouldn't go anywhere near Incursion until after I got my Ragnarok.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2014-11-17 13:10:48  
This thread is *** stupid. Drk is a great job and does just fine, if you like it... Then play it. If somebody tells you otherwise and to lvl a better DD job then let them go *** themselves and find smarter people to play with.
[+]