フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » Site Update 2015.07.07
Site Update 2015.07.07
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-08 07:16:23  
Awww yisss gimme my juicy mythic points!
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-07-08 07:27:23  
Yeah rooks no matter the tweaks, someone is always going to be unhappy. And in all honesty since things are very debateable anyway, it's impossible to find an absolute perspective.
Just do what you think it's right and ignore the whiners!

From my point of view 550 jps should be way worthier than getting 2 jobs to 99 and especially merits which are even faster.
Grinding jps, especially without the double campaign, is still pretty intense, and that's with the plethora of cp multiplying items and KIs we got access to over the last months.

But it's hard to balance this, especially because we could get even more KIs with RoV.
Regardless, I think 20 points each it's a good starting point for sure.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-08 07:32:56  
If people are unhappy that the point system is adjusted to more accurately reflect effort:reward then just nuke their ***, like a boss. Or just tell them to grow up, and nuke them when they refuse to.
By ibm2431 2015-07-08 07:52:28  
Rooks,

Any plans to implement points for Titles somehow? There's soooo much more in FFXI other than RMEs and how many experience points you've earned. Quests completed, NMs defeated, Mega Bosses slain, battle content cleared, chocobo raising, etc.

I don't think anyone would disagree that a person that's completed every quest in the game would have done/accomplished "more" than one who leeched a job 1-99 in just two days. Or heck, personally I wouldn't argue that someone who's completed just all the quests in Base + Zilart has done "more" than the relic I made simply by farming Salvage for two months and buying currency.

While normally it might be hard to measure how much of a game a person has done (as opposed to how many times they've repeated the same task - grinding, farming, etc), FFXI gives you a Title for virtually everything of note you could do in it. That information is already being scraped, so you could just assign a point value for how many Titles a person has. I am in no way suggesting you try to determine if Title Y should be worth more than Title Z - just give X points per title in a way similar to Merits and Atma. The value can be arbitrary, with the understanding that over all the Titles a person has, the difficulty of the harder ones make up for the ease of others when all averaged together.

I think adding Titles to the Achievement Points system would help contribute to a more accurate gauge of what all a player has done. And since ranking is such super serious business, would help give a (very small) leg up to lower leveled players who actively do all the game has to offer vs those who funded 10 Relics by fishbotting when Haks still NPCed for 10k but otherwise do nothing but stand around in Jeuno all day. It would also note a sense of progression when a player is accomplishing things, like wins against Delve and Escha NMs. Each day they play doing new things, they're bound to earn a new title, and get some small number of points added - as opposed to just deciding next week they're going to afk in Abyssea for a few hours and suddenly end up with 7k more points the next time their profile syncs.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-07-08 08:08:53  
ibm2431 said: »
Rooks,

Any plans to implement points for Titles somehow? There's soooo much more in FFXI other than RMEs and how many experience points you've earned. Quests completed, NMs defeated, Mega Bosses slain, battle content cleared, chocobo raising, etc.

I don't think anyone would disagree that a person that's completed every quest in the game would have done/accomplished "more" than one who leeched a job 1-99 in just two days. Or heck, personally I wouldn't argue that someone who's completed just all the quests in Base + Zilart has done "more" than the relic I made simply by farming Salvage for two months and buying currency.

While normally it might be hard to measure how much of a game a person has done (as opposed to how many times they've repeated the same task - grinding, farming, etc), FFXI gives you a Title for virtually everything of note you could do in it. That information is already being scraped, so you could just assign a point value for how many Titles a person has. I am in no way suggesting you try to determine if Title Y should be worth more than Title Z - just give X points per title in a way similar to Merits and Atma. The value can be arbitrary, with the understanding that over all the Titles a person has, the difficulty of the harder ones make up for the ease of others when all averaged together.

I think adding Titles to the Achievement Points system would help contribute to a more accurate gauge of what all a player has done. And since ranking is such super serious business, would help give a (very small) leg up to lower leveled players who actively do all the game has to offer vs those who funded 10 Relics by fishbotting when Haks still NPCed for 10k but otherwise do nothing but stand around in Jeuno all day. It would also note a sense of progression when a player is accomplishing things, like wins against Delve and Escha NMs. Each day they play doing new things, they're bound to earn a new title, and get some small number of points added - as opposed to just deciding next week they're going to afk in Abyssea for a few hours and suddenly end up with 7k more points the next time their profile syncs.

There are, currently, 975 titles in the game. The full list is here.

So, I'm not opposed to this, but titles don't update particularly quickly unless someone is running the GW plugin full time. Also, anyone that changes servers is going to have to sit at the title changer (ALL OF THEM, since they all give different ones) and just spam the changes until their title list fills out again.

The actual implementation isn't hard at all; I just don't think it'll be the boon to lower-powered players that you think it will be.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-08 08:44:35  
I don't know why you imply that players with rme are all botters, or that these players do not partake in quests.
Both cases are false and seem just an excuse to feel better about yourself compared to people who have more than you do.
[+]
 Bismarck.Herzins
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2015-07-08 09:07:56  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't know why you imply that players with rme are all botters, or that these players do not partake in quests.
Both cases are false and seem just an excuse to feel better about yourself compared to people who have more than you do.

^ ...
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2015-07-08 09:43:19  
Any plans to update Play Online News Feed? It is still showing from June 1st. Or does this belong to some other thread? I am not aware if this is something as "not easily fixable" since it has happened some times in the past.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-07-08 09:44:42  
Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq said: »
Any plans to update Play Online News Feed? It is still showing from June 1st. Or does this belong to some other thread? I am not aware if this is something as "not easily fixable" since it has happened some times in the past.

It's not something I have access to. I'll bug the boss about it again, though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2015-07-08 10:58:08  
Rooks said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Oh ok, I was looking at Delve items only to be fair like: http://www.ffxiah.com/item/3979/rockfin-tooth

Huh. Rockfin tooth is obviously listable. I suspect it has something to do with Browse being out of date. I'll have a look. Thanks!

I think Browse has been like that for three or four years now. There's not even an Alchemy 2 or Misc 2, but that's probably not a huge deal.

Another thing that's been broken for a while are some of the sorting options for Power Search of Items. Not sure about all of the sort options that are messed up, but sorting by Damage is broken for sure.

Thanks for all of the work that you're doing to try to make this site even better Rooks!
By ibm2431 2015-07-08 12:14:27  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't know why you imply that players with rme are all botters

I don't understand how you're under the impression I said anything remotely close to that. No, all players with RME (which I apparently need to repeat I'm one of) aren't botters, and not once did I say they were. It's not until the 5th mythic that one starts to smell of botting and/or brosale.

I will admit that my stated "10 relics" is obtainable by extremely devoted players who have been working on it over a period of years. And if anyone who achieved that legitimately read and felt slighted by the comment, then I both apologize for the slight and commend them on their devotion.

But I'm not talking about them. I was specifically mentioning those who bot. Stating that there are some people who did A to accomplish B isn't the same as claiming everyone who has accomplished B must've done it by doing A. Honestly, I'm a mildly offended that you took me saying, "people have cheated" and suddenly portray me as saying, "all people with X are cheaters."

To hopefully clarify, what I attempted to convey with that one sentence comment: There are people who cheat. At the moment, most of the current achievement categories are things you can have some program earn for you (exp/merits/JP/gil). Maybe adding points for Titles would help give a more accurate picture of who actively plays the game rather than those who have bots play it for them.

And since points/ranking are all relative anyway, I don't know who would take issue with the sentiment other than those that do bot while not partaking in content. Well, assuming an idealized implementation - the technical issues Rooks mentioned non-withstanding. Since you presumably do stuff Sehachan, it's not like you'd be negatively affected. If anything, you'd only gain an edge over those who don't do stuff.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-08 12:21:54  
It's not about gaining, I don't care to be honest, I'm happy if the last missions alone are added. Simply cause the incompleteness in the category bothers me. I also didn't say that I'm against titles counting.

What I was against was how you presented your point. But if the argument(namely hardcores are supposedely botters and don't do quests) had no relation to what you're trying to convey then you shouldn't mention it. Mentioning means implying that only casual players do quests and that only botters get shinies(there's been nothing else to do in game for a very long time for those who already had completed everything).
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-07-08 12:46:44  
Was wondering if it would be possible to move these two threads to the Adoulin section:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44971/adoulin-gates-nm/
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46057/full-alluvion-augment-cap-list/

...or would it be better to just remake them in said sections?
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-07-08 12:49:28  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Was wondering if it would be possible to move these two threads to the Adoulin section:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44971/adoulin-gates-nm/
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46057/full-alluvion-augment-cap-list/

...or would it be better to just remake them in said sections?

Moved. Let me know if there are any others; I was going to look around for any to move and got preoccupied with other tasks.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-07-08 12:54:20  
A capped merit category should have a fixed value used in lieu of the total merits spent in that category. In cases like black mage, where it's prudent to throw one merit into each AM2 and only cap one, you shouldn't be losing potential ranking points versus an inferior merit setup.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-07-08 12:59:52  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
A capped merit category should have a fixed value used in lieu of the total merits spent in that category. In cases like black mage, where it's prudent to throw one merit into each AM2 and only cap one, you shouldn't be losing potential ranking points versus an inferior merit setup.

That's annoyed me for years.

So, the calculation is actually based on exp spent; once AP get adjusted, exp is mostly going to be a drop in the bucket, so I doubt it will affect anyone much either way. EXP is just way too easy to get, so I'd rather just reduce the overall effect of merits on ranking, than change the core of the calculation.

I may go ahead and change that later anyway, just because it annoys me, but for now, that's my plan.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-07-08 13:15:47  
Moved. Let me know if there are any others; I was going to look around for any to move and got preoccupied with other tasks.

Made a big ol' list, though I'm thinking many of these threads might be either dated, poorly titled, or otherwise providing very little. Is it easy to move them, or do you have to like, one-at-a-time it?
Also, could you sticky the Alluvion Augment thread? I was thinking of making a new thread with a guide for new/returning players on how to get started in Adoulin, like getting the pioneering KIs and navigating to waypoints.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-07-08 13:32:38  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Made a big ol' list, though I'm thinking many of these threads might be either dated, poorly titled, or otherwise providing very little. Is it easy to move them, or do you have to like, one-at-a-time it?
Also, could you sticky the Alluvion Augment thread? I was thinking of making a new thread with a guide for new/returning players on how to get started in Adoulin, like getting the pioneering KIs and navigating to waypoints.

Augment thread stickied, the rest moved.

And yeah, it's a one at a time thing since I don't have direct DB access; I just use the regular moderation tools. But you took the time to build the list, least I can do is click a couple times :)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq
Guildwork Premium
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Imoq
By Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq 2015-07-14 17:08:16  
Carbuncle.Elvaanmoq said: »

It's not something I have access to. I'll bug the boss about it again, though.

*bump* any luck with the boss man? :)
[+]