users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » Rooks's big dumb list of things to do
Rooks's big dumb list of things to do
 Asura.Tsm
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-12 21:18:58  
Yeah. Honestly it's respectable to move on. Ffxi is a game, not life.

This was the passion project of many people, if you want to let it die that's ok! It's the choice of the people who run the project.

I don't get the slow bleed though, leaving the website to the wolves will result in it bleeding out. Like many people rooks it sounds like you're stuck in a "when I have time" loop. I get it. I have a ton of projects I want to work on "when I have time" but truth be told I'm just not making time for them because they don't matter as much to me as the stuff I'm doing. I'm not telling you you should spend more time on this site. Honestly I wouldn't in your position at all lol. The community is full of whiny ungrateful people like myself and it sounds like you aren't financially incentivized to do so

I say all this to say I agree with the other poster and wish we could get some fresh blood working on and even moderating these projects or making their own completely.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vespertaru
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vespertaru 2021-09-12 21:48:05  
Rooks is there anyway someone like myself can help update all the GuildPoint items on the site since I have all the raw data for each grid slot?
By Draylo 2021-09-12 21:54:35  
I would honestly consistently donate to anyone who is willing to actively work on FFXI related community stuff and see actual results. It's a shame that most have lost the spark (and understandable) but there seems to be others willing to pick it up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Vespertaru
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vespertaru 2021-09-12 22:06:28  
I'm willing to help with at least this one thing assuming its not too hard to update. I'm not a programmer by any means, but I catch onto stuff quickly when shown and explained.
Administrator
By Rooks 2021-09-12 23:52:19  
I've said this to anyone who asks, but I can't help you with access to anything. That's Scragg, and Scragg only.
By Pantafernando 2021-09-13 02:24:58  
Make P&R section like "Members only", then you gonna see the cash flowing in.

While we are that, charge $1 to unban someone from the site, and you gonna see many $100 contributors monthly
[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-09-13 02:31:54  
Also, instead of donations by paypal, isnt that stuff called Patreon a thing? Ive seem many small youtubers publishing technical content living on that as their work has generally limited public.

Could as well just make one for FFXIAH
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-09-13 02:48:40  
Unless you're friends with Scragg, I think at this point it's pretty much useless to ask for that guys.

If Scragg didn't "trust" Rooks enough to give him full access so far, do you really think he's gonna trust anybody else? lulz

The main problem is that the current platform wasn't made to have multiple staff members with different user rights, you need access to the Virtual Machine to do certain things, and it's honestly understandable why Scragg wouldn't trust anyone with access to that.
To allow for different user rights management for the machine he would probably need big changes to the structure of the machine, a stronger (and more expensive) server that handles versioning in case something goes wrong, and stuff like that.
Scragg understandably cba with that stuff, he's busy being one of the bosses of one of the biggest modern gaming community platforms (Discord), of course he has no time for this.

I think the only one who has realistic chances of mediating with Scragg so he can give more "rights" to Rooks, is none other than Rooks himself.
And he said he's pretty busy with a new job atm so...

But yeah Rooks as a long term thing, it would be good if you could think of a method, a system, a model to propose to Scragg where people make free donations and those are used to finance your work, Scragg's work and the platform itself.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-09-13 05:52:24  
Asura.Sechs said: »
But yeah Rooks as a long term thing, it would be good if you could think of a method, a system, a model to propose to Scragg where people make free donations and those are used to finance your work, Scragg's work and the platform itself.
Rooks said: »
I very intentionally don't take money here, for reasons I've expounded upon in the past.

Rooks likely doesn't want to feel obligated to put more time than he has available into this. It's the same reason I don't take donations for Ashita stuff, even though they've been offered. If someone gives you 50 bucks or whatever, they have some degree of entitlement that you actually continue to work on the project, and 50 bucks doesn't actually buy a meaningful amount of labor. Further, even if you got donations commensurate to your time invested, it turns what was a casual and fun project into a job.

Unfortunately, given Scragg doesn't want to bring anyone else in, it's pretty much a stalemate. Throwing money at Scragg won't make anything better either. A few people have thrown around the idea of donating to get a different platform going, but the startup cost is at least several thousand in labor and then you still likely end up with a wiki & bg-wiki scenario where a decade later the new standard has failed to fully replace the old standard.

I don't have a solution to offer, but it isn't as simple as throwing a 'donation' at anyone(keep in mind the word donation implies no expectation of return, and the conversation is literally about donating to get a return).
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-09-13 06:11:22  
You're making absolutely perfect sense Thorny.
I was just saying that a donation sort of things could become useful only if it was Rooks himself who for some reason changed his mind and decided to handle things differently.

Then, with a project in mind and some vague donations (made in the same style of BlueGartr, maybe?) he could mediate and have realistic chances to obtain something from Scragg.

I can't think of anybody else who could get a small chance to convince Scragg to do that, other than Rooks.
By joemamma 2021-09-13 11:08:33  
Rooks said: »
I've said this to anyone who asks, but I can't help you with access to anything. That's Scragg, and Scragg only.

This scragg is about as active as the forum mods.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-09-13 14:24:52  
Having more mods that are active sounds nice, but in general even the most active forum participants seem to go AWOL shortly after being promoted to the mod position. Apparently it takes a special kind of insanity to stick around… *glances at Vyre*
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2021-09-13 14:28:15  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Having more mods that are active sounds nice, but in general even the most active forum participants seem to go AWOL shortly after being promoted to the mod position. Apparently it takes a special kind of insanity to stick around… *glances at Vyre*
Hey, Anna Banana is around here too, somewhere. I think life just got busy for him.

Lina was just coming up on her 20s iirc when she got mod, so life likely got busy for her too... or something.

Not sure about Dameshi.

My one regret about being a mod is not getting that big gap where I couldn't login due to that website glitch fixed sooner. I was gone so long I kinda lost the little groove I'd built up.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-09-13 15:25:44  
Asura.Vyre said: »
Hey, Anna Banana is around here too, somewhere. I think life just got busy for him.

Lina was just coming up on her 20s iirc when she got mod, so life likely got busy for her too... or something.

Not sure about Dameshi.

My one regret about being a mod is not getting that big gap where I couldn't login due to that website glitch fixed sooner. I was gone so long I kinda lost the little groove I'd built up.

This is my own observation, but I also feel that mods take a step back so they can remain relatively impartial when assessing and reviewing reports as they come. It's probably such a time consuming process in some regards that once they're done, I think they just want to step away and get a drink, LOL. The mod history of this site is quite the history, to say the least, heh.

I think it's also important to note that just because there isn't a heavy mod presence doesn't mean they aren't present either. I imagine there are a handful of people who feel they are entitled to use the "report button" as their personal dislike button and just causes a lot of ruckus and mess for Rooks and mod team - so I have the utmost respect for them in dealing with these internet princesses and babies. Every forum has these princess and babies, but it's such a thankless job to deal with them because you can only really deal with it in the shadows and all you get is an earful of bitterness in the process. I could never do it, heh.

Anyway

*Gives a cookie to Vyre since they are present*
[+]
By joemamma 2021-09-13 15:52:50  

I really don't think mods should exist. We have artificial intelligence that can do what mods do.

I'm very much in favor of a hands off approach.

Example of over modding is Reddit. They are way too involved with it. Policing reddit like some sort of badge of honor. Its why the website is pretty bad.
 Odin.Foxmulder
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-13 16:02:33  
Reddit literally doesn't moderate enough.

You're only leery because a mod that pays attention would notice you're evading your existing ban.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By joemamma 2021-09-13 16:07:19  
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
Reddit literally doesn't moderate enough.

You're only leery because a mod that pays attention would notice you're evading your existing ban.

I'm leery of anyone that thinks ffxiah is a great website.

Or anything of value is discussed here.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-13 16:15:51  
Wanna try editing that yet again?
By joemamma 2021-09-13 16:18:52  
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
Wanna try editing that yet again?

Wanna argue with strangers on the internet. Apparently this is serious business.
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-09-13 16:25:04  
Honestly, we have a mod in this thread, why is fonewear still not rebanned? Does anyone think he adds anything worth reading to the site, or can you not tell who he is by the really crappy one-liners?
By joemamma 2021-09-13 16:28:16  
Everyone that I don't like should be banned cause I'm some guy with a moogle picture as my avatar.
By joemamma 2021-09-13 16:30:37  
I challenge all of you to an internet tough guy duel. Whoever has the worst post wins.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-13 17:09:52  
I'm actually anti forum moderation unless people are being belligerent or trolling.

Banning people because they are against what you say goes against my core values
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2021-09-13 17:13:01  
ole’ fonewear grew on me after a while. Like tequila, hated it at first, eventually learned to enjoy it for what it is.

ALSO ARE YOU DONE WITH ZAHRAH’S TRIVIA GAME YET?!??!??
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-09-13 17:49:02  
From personal experience, it's often better if the owner isn't active in the community. Very often people keep these things running for the community on them, and the mental image they have of the community is often far more rosy than the reality. I don't mean people here are bad, I mean the level of entitlement and demands can be really grating if you're not into something very much anymore. As long as it's paying for itself and it's minimal upkeep, I don't see much problem with it staying around for a long time to come with how it is. It's still incredibly useful for the game.

Hell they could disable uploading of new images all together to save money if they wanted, they aren't that big of a deal these days as they used to be before image hosting websites were as common as they are now.

Ultimately we don't need much moderation if people can control themselves a bit and have some respect for the platform, you don't have to be a saint but it's not that hard to have some self control for the good of the platform. Also keep in mind that when you use the report button, you're basically annoying someone to come sort something out. Judge if you really need to report something or if you're being a pita when it's not needed and you could just ignore something...like we all used to do.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-09-13 18:36:12  

It just depends where people at in their lives. Once you hit mid to late twenty-something everything gets hyper career focused and it only gets worse going through the 30's.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-09-13 19:04:15  
Imagine that, the 3 people whose heads should rightfully be on the chopping block first cry out against the idea of active moderation resuming on the site.
[+]