Is Ranger A Safe First Job?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » is ranger a safe first job?
is ranger a safe first job?
 Asura.Iuno
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: freyavp
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-12 13:00:22  
how does one get this drain and aspir spell im missing?
By Verda 2016-07-12 13:27:31  
The older wiki has a lot more info on quested spells etc, check that out too:
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Drain
Quested via http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rumor

Here is the aspir quest:
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Making_the_Grade

You can buy them but quested spells are rarely cheap because you get them once per character as far as I know.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-12 13:45:04  
Verda said: »
The older wiki has a lot more info on quested spells etc, check that out too:
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Drain
Quested via http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rumor

Here is the aspir quest:
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Making_the_Grade

You can buy them but quested spells are rarely cheap because you get them once per character as far as I know.

ok thanks

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Lemme dust off my trusty old list:

• Starting Point (just returned): Records of Eminence (sparks gear), lower end Unity NMs, Reforged Artifact/Relic/Empyrean armor (at least 109), Macrocosmic Orb BCs, easier difficulty Merit BCs, Wildskeeper Reives, regular Skirmish (not necessarily recommended) and probably Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish

• Next Step (your gear nearing ilevel 119): 119-128ish level Unity NMs, Reforged AF/Relic/Empy armor 119, higher difficulties Merit BCs (Normal/Difficult), Delve, Alluvion Skirmish, Escha Zi'Tah/Sky Tier 1/2, Incursion (pre-level 130), maybe Vagary

• Mid-point (full 119, good practice with mechanics and strategies): level 130 and up content like Sinister Reign, Vagary, Escha T3 and some HELM NMs, Reisenjima T1, Unity 135 NMs

• High-end (great gear, more experience with complex enemies): Reisenjima T2/3, Escha Gods/AAs, generally level 140ish content

• The Hardest Crap in the Game: level 145+ content like Super Kirin, Warder of Courage (super Absolute Virtue), the 7 HELM NMs in Reisenjima, Tumult Curator (super Pandemonium Warden), fighting me in Ballista

With support, you do have the option of skipping a few steps if you really want to, though you'd basically just be sitting on the side lines and collecting gear. Arguably, it's more important that you reacclimate yourself to the game's world and mechanics, which helps you beyond what gear, and into understanding why you'd want it.

also saw this in another thread, is it an accurate stepping stone guide for endgame?
By Verda 2016-07-12 15:03:55  
It's good, but really what events/quests etc you do are often driven (at least for me) by gear. For example I never did much meebles until I needed the 5% fastcast torque (all jobs and most in game), so in a lot of ways it's not a stepping stone as much as a gear list to acquire, quests to do/experience, and making social connections. Delve was on the way out when I came back too, and I never used hardly any gear from there and jumped straight from sparks (which I got leveling up) to alluvion skirmish shouts I ran myself (and learned how by asking questions and watching videos) and used the gil I made from that to reforge my AF gear for THF and gear my thf in a nice taeon set. Then, the social connections I made running those shouts and reputation as a reliable thf helped me get into a gilfarm LS that was very good at farming skirmish and made a ton of gil, and those same social connections and the gil I made me let acquire gear in Escha Zi'tah when it came out, usually also on THF in fact for a long time after coming back I only focused on THF and used WHM to mostly get vagary and delve clears. Basically it's a matter of opinion and the game is constantly changing too, so hard say. One thing about FFXI is some gear you keep forever. Evoker's Ring for example is still an amazing ring for SMN and Defending Ring will forever be great for every job and things like that don't fit into step by step guides so well, there's also final rewards items from every mission story line that are top of the line even today, and how much missions you complete has a big effect on how fast you gain capacity points, and so on. Also, all guides are opinion but the more you know the better choices you can make for yourself, so here is a good list of resources for new/returning players: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/wiki/faq

The Vana'diel Project post is outdated on that page as SE has changed their stance somewhat but the rest is good. I know it's not a simple answer and people like simple answers, but the real answer is not really black and white, it's sandbox and full of choices that one could argue many of which are best, and everyone's resources and goals social and otherwise are different. Part of what makes it interesting imo is everyone's experience will be different. Defending ring is great for GEO for example because they have to be close to the mob sometimes, but a huge investment of time and gil, especially if starting out, so when you decide to go for things or if you choose to do it slowly over time and when that time is best, that is all up to you. In my opinion you should do your home city's storyline, then zilart, then chains of promathia, then treasurs of aht urgan, then wings of the goddess and then adoulin and also do rhapsodies as you can for the key items and curio moogle access while mixing in doing some work toward end game and enjoy all the stories and get the benefits of increased capacity point gain rates and then also do some of the addon quests and records of eminence quests. This will also give you final rewards that are very valuable such as the adoulin rings and moonshade earring, and give you access to a lot more trusts to help you clear more content yourself or with small groups if you want to. Speaking of records of eminence, SE did a lot of work on the tutorial part of that to help new/returning players so I'd check that out.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-13 13:39:53  
are any of the rewards after stories still worthwhile? like this rajas ring thinger looked good for ranger with all the talk of TP
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-07-13 14:06:05  
There are a few different STP rings available nowadays, but none of them have racc so Rajas is probably still a good option for RNG if you need STP in that slot. Most jobs have competitive or superior options to Rajas nowadays (Epona's, Hetaroi, Petrov, Chirich/+1, etc).

Moonshade Earring from WotG is still really good, particularly the TP Bonus+250 augment. Most of the SoA rings have some value, though a few such as Weatherspoon tend to stand out over the rest.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-13 19:07:51  
speaking of revelence..

how much of a time investment is getting the annihilator or armageddon guns? are they still worth time/money?
By Verda 2016-07-13 20:16:20  
Annihlator Pros:
* Best Enmity Control for Ranger and possibly for any job
* Great physical damage gun
* Relic weapons are the cheapest and easiest to make, around 60 mil base and 120 mil to afterglow.

Armageddon Pros:
* Great Last Stand, Wildfire and Trueflight damage due to +50 AGI
* Triple damage procs mean a lot of auto attack damage (seen someone with one do ~7k auto attacks if crit and pdif capped)
* Not as time + gil intensive as mythic, questing involves killing the same set of bosses for non tradable materials, base cost is around 250 mil and afterglow is 80 mil. (Mythic is 150 mil base and 150 mil to afterglow but is a lot more quest intensive).

How worth it any ultimate weapon is, is always up to the player. If you are in love with the job though you'll eventually want one (or maybe 2... or 3). Ultimate weapons are the most time/gil intensive endeavors in the game by themselves.

Guns have a closer range requirement to optimize damage and accuracy than bows or xbows so I would read about that too in you decision making: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Distance_Correction

As it currently stands the strongest WS for RNG tend to be Trueflight > Wildfire for magical and Jishnu's > Last Stand for physical, in that order. Expect an ultimate weapon to cost as much as if not more than the rest of your gear put together (unless HQ abjurations), and have less impact than the rest your gear combined, it does however allow a player to really push the envelope and the latest upgrades are quite large.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-13 21:25:56  
Annihlator Pros:
* Best Enmity Control for Ranger and possibly for any job
* Great physical damage gun
* Relic weapons are the cheapest and easiest to make, around 60 mil base and 120 mil to afterglow.

Armageddon Pros:
* Great Last Stand, Wildfire and Trueflight damage due to +50 AGI
* Triple damage procs mean a lot of auto attack damage (seen someone with one do ~7k auto attacks if crit and pdif capped)
* Not as time + gil intensive as mythic, questing involves killing the same set of bosses for non tradable materials, base cost is around 250 mil and afterglow is 80 mil. (Mythic is 150 mil base and 150 mil to afterglow but is a lot more quest intensive).

How worth it any ultimate weapon is, is always up to the player. If you are in love with the job though you'll eventually want one (or maybe 2... or 3). Ultimate weapons are the most time/gil intensive endeavors in the game by themselves.

Guns have a closer range requirement to optimize damage and accuracy than bows or xbows so I would read about that too in you decision making: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Distance_Correction

As it currently stands the strongest WS for RNG tend to be Trueflight > Wildfire for magical and Jishnu's > Last Stand for physical, in that order. Expect an ultimate weapon to cost as much as if not more than the rest of your gear put together (unless HQ abjurations), and have less impact than the rest your gear combined, it does however allow a player to really push the envelope and the latest upgrades are quite large.
http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Shiva/Schatzie yeah friend who got me into the game had 2 back in the day for his favorite classes.

how is the annihilator's weaponskill? and does that distance correlation affect ws?
By Verda 2016-07-13 22:02:47  
Armageddon used to be the only way you had access to Wildfire. Quests were added so that you can use Empyrean and Mythic WS without the weapon now. Armageddon was originally designed for Wildfire and is the best gun for Wildfire in the game, Wildfire is a good magical WS, the more TP you have the less enmity you get. Unlike relic and mythics, empy do not get a raw boost to their weaponskill's damage (Coronach is 40% from Anni and Trueflight is 30% from Gastra for example) but the weaponskills themselves are strong. Distance correction has no effect on magical weaponskills, only ranged physical attacks and physical ranged weaponskills. All marksmanship weaponskills use AGI and Arma has +50 AGI, so it's really good for any weaponskill you wish to use it for. The 50 AGI and 35 racc from bullets give it a healthy dose of crit rate and accuracy too, but of all the ultimate weapons for RNG, outside aeonics it has 2nd lowest accuracy, Gandiva has less, the Empyrean Bow. It is sort of the do anything gun, best for wildfire in the game, and great for anything else too. You have to use wildfire to activate aftermath so you'd be using that weaponskill a lot.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-14 00:15:19  
Annihilator used to be the only way you had access to Wildfire. Quests were added so that you can use Empyrean and Mythic WS without the weapon now. Armageddon was originally designed for Wildfire and is the best gun for Wildfire in the game, Wildfire is a good magical WS, the more TP you have the less enmity you get. Unlike relic and mythics, empy do not get a raw boost to their weaponskill's damage (Coronach is 40% from Anni and Trueflight is 30% from Gastra for example) but the weaponskills themselves are strong. Distance correction has no effect on magical weaponskills, only ranged physical attacks and physical ranged weaponskills. All marksmanship weaponskills use AGI and Arma has +50 AGI, so it's really good for any weaponskill you wish to use it for. The 50 AGI and 35 racc from bullets give it a healthy dose of crit rate and accuracy too, but of all the ultimate weapons for RNG, outside aeonics it has 2nd lowest accuracy, Gandiva has less, the Empyrean Bow. It is sort of the do anything gun, best for wildfire in the game, and great for anything else too. You have to use wildfire to activate aftermath so you'd be using that weaponskill a lot.

so annihilator can use wildfire? is there a feature to unlock the other fancy weapon's skills? and what are aeonics, the ultimate skillchain weapons? are they worth while?
By Verda 2016-07-14 06:19:44  
*Armageddon used to be the only way you had access to wildfire. I mistyped that sorry.

Yes, all guns and xbows can use it once you've done the quest. You can also unlock Gastra's Trueflight WS with the right quest. Aeonics are what consume a lot of endgame players time but it takes a dedicated LS of endgame players to get one, they are good but hard to have access to. Annihilator won't do as good of damage with magical WS as Aramageddon because Anni lacks AGI, or anything else to boost their damage (like magic attack bonus for exmaple).
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-14 12:56:28  
do you know of any good low level r.accuracy pieces i could use?
my marksmanship is ~89 and i miss so much in garlaige, it's amazing.

got about +5 r.acc from noct set from sparks gear
+5-10 from ranger/peacock necklace
+10 from davoi dagger

also does one need to go into abyssea still for this sylvan set?
 Phoenix.Cyrinn
サーバ: Phoenix
user: PUPLament
By Phoenix.Cyrinn 2016-07-14 13:15:57  
Rajas Ring is great for a TP build, Moonshade Earring for the TP bonus for weapon skills, and Weatherspoon is an amazing boost for Trueflight, or you can take Adoulin Ring for the MAB for Wildfire/Trueflight, or Haverton Ring for the ranged accuracy boost and free Snapshot.
The rings from Aht Urghan are good for mid level, but most of the good stats are only when in Assault or Salvage.

How low level? You can use the Noct set around 30, which has some ranged accuracy on it. That set will last until your AF armor, or you can look into the Jaridah Peti set (if your server has any on AH).

There's still a couple of useful Sylvan pieces, especially when reforged into Amini. Head has a good chunk of ranged and Snapshot, Hands for Store TP and Archery skill, Body for the ranged accuracy and the Velocity Shot buff, and Legs for more Store TP and critical rate all have a use when made 109/119.
By Verda 2016-07-14 13:33:19  
Use sparks to get skillup books, each missing skill level is .7 accuracy and 1 attack, a difference of even 30 accuracy can make a huge difference in hit rate if you're close to the evasion of the mob. If you unlock ninja and get it up a bit too, you can subjob it for dualwield. Once you have that you can equip two ranged accuracy daggers. Warrior sub does more damage though. Also use Ranged Accuracy food: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Accuracy_Food Unlike melee attacks minimum hit rate of 20%, I don't think Ranged Attacks have a minimum hit rate so if you're missing too much accuracy for ranged attacks you can't do anything really.

Beetle rings, and the other bonecraft made rings as you go up in level are awesome (melee acc down, ranged acc up).

What cryinn said, the Amini Caban +1 is especially amazing for what it does for Ranger. 7% Ranged Attack bonus if worn midshot, and 7% snapshot if used preshot while velocity shot is active (which is almost always is). It should be noted that Velocity Shot % attack boosts are special, in that they multiply with other % based attack mods, like Berserk for example. The enmity -11 is great too and the only time I don't recommend to use it is if you need more accuracy or more STP in midshot and it's always in preshot. The only way to get them is still through abyssea though some login campaigns and bcnm campaigns can give you kupons to help with the upgrade process.

The head can be replaced now but is a great to use if snapshot isn't already capped in your preshot set. Hands are great STP and Bounty Shot gear. Legs are one of your best damage pieces due to trueshot +2 (that's 4% increase in damage and multiplies with other multipliers) and ridiculous 10 STP. They aren't good if you need accuracy however. The only other gear in the game with that big a boost to true shot is Adhemar Gamashes +1 which are HQ abjuration gear so they are very very expensive (not 100% sure on price but wouldn't be surprised if over 120 mil). Note to get true shot bonuses you need to stand at the proper distance when firing.
 Phoenix.Cyrinn
By Phoenix.Cyrinn 2016-07-14 16:02:54  
I also feel your best bet for gearing up now is to get to 99 asap, get some sparks gear, and get into some Ambuscade parties. It may take a while to get Hallmarks, but the new set of gear is a really good benchmark of where you'll end up with Herculean augments down the road.
Plus this gives you the option to make a cape that can cover a massive chunk of ranged accuracy (up to 30 before any from AGI if you choose AGI), and it can fill in the gap of needing gear with Store TP.

Also, off subject, but Verda, what do you think of using Pursuer's Doublet path D over Amini? Would the Critical Hit rate if using other Critical gear (Ambuscade Cape, the new belt, Amini legs +1) make up for the Velocity Shot loss, or would the 2% Velocity Shot from the cape edge it to favor Amini +1?
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-14 16:24:46  
dont think it got mentioned, do i still need to abyssea for the sylvan set before it can be turned into amini?
 Phoenix.Cyrinn
By Phoenix.Cyrinn 2016-07-14 16:29:18  
Yes, and it has to be at least +1 before you can reforge it, so you'll have to farm up the seals. A +1 piece takes 10 Rem's Tale chapters, and a +2 piece only takes 5. You'll also need several Ulhuadshi's Fangs, one for each piece you reforge.
By Verda 2016-07-14 16:45:41  
Asura.Iuno said: »
dont think it got mentioned, do i still need to abyssea for the sylvan set before it can be turned into amini?

Sorry it wasn't more clear that's what I meant by this part:
The only way to get them is still through abyssea though some login campaigns and bcnm campaigns can give you kupons to help with the upgrade process.

And again what Cryinn said :D

Phoenix.Cyrinn said: »
Also, off subject, but Verda, what do you think of using Pursuer's Doublet path D over Amini? Would the Critical Hit rate if using other Critical gear (Ambuscade Cape, the new belt, Amini legs +1) make up for the Velocity Shot loss, or would the 2% Velocity Shot from the cape edge it to favor Amini +1?
I'll have to spreadsheet it to be sure but this is what I currently do but if it's incorrect then please let me know:

My Fodder Set (with no regards to accuracy only tp gain), I use relic body for the 5% double shot even if double shot isn't used, it seems to give the best TP gain even if it's not averaged out very well.

My "Normal" set I used Amini Caban +1, for the 7% multiplicative attack bonus and other stats.

My Accuracy set I use Pursuer's for the STP +6 and extra accuracy and crit rate

My Extreme Accuracy set I use a well augmented Herculean Vest for the tons of accuracy and 3 STP and 3 crit rate (my current one is augmented 34 racc and 33 rattack for a total of 30 AGI and 49 racc, could use the last 6 racc, 10 AGI and crit rate/crit damage/ or a very lucky stp).
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-14 22:29:37  
not to sound lazy, but would one of you mind putting together one of those gear set tables with entry level gear? basically, a guide line of what to aim for first past the sparks gear.

thanks again for all the help
By Titanfoo 2016-07-14 23:16:00  
the ambuscade gear is perfect for starters, grind it out with some LS mates
By Verda 2016-07-15 10:32:16  
ItemSet 344758
6+5+5+3+9+8+2
Velocity 15
Merits 10
63 snapshot with velocity active, if you get at least flurry I from a trust you'll more than cap your snapshot. You're missing a ton of rapidshot which also helps firing speed a lot, but this is an entry level set, all is obtained from easier content without the need for vagary clears etc :) Equip this before or as you start every shot (using Gearswap or in game equipsets), then before the shot lands switch to your midshot set. You'll be really surprised how your dps will go up about 80% just doing this.

Midshot set:
ItemSet 344759

This is obtainable cheap via AH, doing ambuscade (which has difficulty ratings, the harder you do it the more points you get, recommend grouping up with ls mates as said), doing quests, clearing old easy content. The hardest stuff I put in was delve and the JSE gun. Your TP gain will be very very slow with this, but it will be a good start and you'll be able to hit most things. Lionsquall can also be upgraded for 300 riftborn boulders (and other rocks but they are cheapest) for a lot of extra accuracy and other stats. Not sure you can get the slime shield for a while it's an event item, there's a lot of novelty shields tho can pick any one you like. I would also start working on making this set or do it instead if ambuscade is too hard to break into: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Arcadian_Attire_Set_%2B1 the head body and legs are needed anyway, and it also has some acc/attack stats. The head and body are excellent TP pieces when accuracy isn't a concern.

I didn't put a weaponskill set together, for now just use that as your weaponskill set and as you get time, you can start working on pieces for different weaponskills.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-15 17:13:36  
thanks again for all your hard work to catch me up. i've only one more question, can you use trust NPCs to !! the abyssea critters for drops? cant seem to find any concrete answer on google.
 Phoenix.Cyrinn
By Phoenix.Cyrinn 2016-07-15 21:01:18  
Yes, Trusts can stagger mobs in Abyssea and in Dynamis.