users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drain Testing: Potency+ Vs. Affinity+
Drain Testing: Potency+ Vs. Affinity+
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-21 18:00:57  
Forewarning: I'm just beginning testing on this. Since everyone on the guide thread appears to be more concerned with RMEA and Weapon skill Sets at this point, I'm putting my focus and attention on my utility sets while I slowly whittle away at my Apocalypse on the side. This will take some time so I will be updating as I go along.

OK! Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

I don't know about anyone else but this has been bugging me for a while whether Dark Affinity+ will genuinely overtake Drain Potency+ gear over all. The easiest slots I can test this out on are Head and Body comparing a Pixie Hairpin+1 Vs. a NQ Lugra Cloak. (I'm using NQ since it's a flat +30% and I want to compare with a flat round number)

Side Note: Since I don't actually own one, I'm borrowing a Hairpin from friend(s).

Starting with small sample size:
10 Drain III casts on Lv.0 Rabbits in West Ronfaure Naked.
HP: 1749 / Dark Magic Skill 456

841 Highest (So Far)
655 Lowest (So Far)

Average: 758.9 HP Drained.
 Asura.Azagarth
サーバ: Asura
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-07-21 18:38:45  
I will love you for this!! I have been wondering about how to go about gearing for those nasty 9999 drain mb. If anyone has the perfect drain set, please post it, will help us see what the poster is testing a bit easier.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-21 19:56:44  
This is my current Drain III set. It's not complete however. Still missing 3-4 items here and there but I'm happy so far with the results I've gotten (On anything that isn't plain immune to Drain that is...)

ItemSet 344870
Edit: Niht Mantle Augment for Drain is Drain Potency +23.

On a side note in this current month's Ambuscade, apparently Chlorister is 100% immune to Drain but the Absorb- line of spells never saw a single resist. Go figure.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-07-21 19:59:23  
do you cap hp with that set normally?
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-21 20:05:54  
I don't play with Scythe much these days or do Darkness SC's so no. I hit 4500* on the low end and 6300 on the high end. (DS+NV depending) Also, my Dread Spikes macro is a two step FC > Max HP so I get an additional 700 or so HP on cast.

*4500 is more the median. I've had unlucky casts where I hit 3300 HP. :(
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-07-21 22:19:26  
Eh... I'm pretty sure this isn't something that needs testing so much as illumination. For whatever reason this topic comes up every couple months, even though the mechanics involved are pretty straightforward.

The two stats in question are just multipliers. Each starts at 1.00 and each +1 adds 0.01 to that value. If you remember any algebra at all, it should easily follow that (a+b)*c>a*(b+c) if a<c.

Notice how much drain/aspir potency gear DRK has access to. Niht Mantle, Hirudinea Earring, Evanescence Ring, Excelsis Ring, Austerity Belt +1, augmented Acro/Yorium... That all adds up pretty fast. Meanwhile you've only got the two sources of dark affinity (Pixie +1 and Archon Ring). Archon and Excelsis have the same base potency increase (+5%), so Archon is the logical choice (Evanescence stays because dark skill) both because you have other drain/aspir gear and because Archon adds macc. Pixie +1 is nearly as potent as Lugra even at 0 (if you're using Archon then Pixie +1 wins if you have at least 13 drain/aspir potency... that's super easy for DRK to hit) and it lets you use a drain/aspir body that you can also augment with macc, so it's really no contest.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-21 23:12:55  
Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying (though a break in that paragraph would have helped...) but I would really like to see whether Affinity fully wins out for myself. I've seen too many blanket statements of just get the hairpin and move on and I'd like to test it myself.

I don't have an Archon ring and have no plans of going after one soon, but a Pixie Hairpin+1 I can quite honestly ask people I know if I can borrow theirs for an hour or two of testing.

Like I said, I'll be updating over time. I'm taking it upon myself to test this for my own personal curiosity. No loss to anyone here except a minute or so of reading. Just some basic testing to see if Affinty and Potency follow different curves or not.

Cheers.
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2016-07-22 09:59:38  
What he's saying is that they're both equal, assuming 0 in the other. Tested time and again.

When you mix them, however it gets complicated. Since they're two terms in a multiplicative calculation, stacking more of one will have less potency while swapping in some of the other will have a much more favorable return.

Let's take an example using your drain set. In this example, drain hits for 100 damage naked.
Your set has 85 Drain/Aspir potency (as far as we know).
Damage = 100 * (1 + 85/100) * (1 + 0/100) = 185
Let's swap the Lugra Cloak for a pixie hairpin and naked body (note, here we could get up to +7 drain/aspir potency AND magic accuracy on Acro Surcoat) and let's swap Archon Ring for Excelsis
Damage = 100 * (1 + 50/100) * (1 + 33/100) = floor(198) = 198
Now let's add Acro Surcoat
Damage = 100 * (1 + 57/100) * (1 + 33/100) = floor(207.24) = 207
Now you get 47 base int vs 48 base int on lugra, but Acro Surcoat can augment up to +10 INT AND +10 Magic Accuracy
Or, in more magic accuracy problematic situations, get a Carmine Scale Mail or +1 for a total whopping 63 (or 65 for +1) INT and +28 (or 38! for +1) Magic Accuracy AND +15 (or 16 for +1) Dark magic skill, which would provide accuracy and potency on your drain.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-22 10:08:40  
20 more casts naked:
655 771
720 642
797 808
825 717
747 832
714 669
641 820
672 751
640 779
675 677

Original 10 casts averaged out to 758.9, adding up all 30 averaged out to 738.03. So far, my highest appears to be 841 and my lowest 640. I'm going to use those two as my base. (mean of 740.5)
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2016-07-22 10:16:02  
Again, I get what y'all are saying but again: I'm doing this to sate my own curiosity. These data pools won't be large by any standard but I can at least pinpoint simple things like my highest/lowest casts and average it out over a number of variances.

I'm no math wiz so y'all can have fun going through the formulas. The least I can do is test it out in the field and post my results.