users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Addiction epidemic thread
Addiction epidemic thread
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2016-07-29 20:11:43  
Currently, only 1 of my friends are for certain not using heroin and meth...

***is an epidemic where I live.
All my friends are so distant from me...
They walk around with lifeless eyes and the only light in them is a burning anger that darkens their path even more as they fall deeper into despair...
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-07-29 20:17:11  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
I had never heard of a dry county.

Moore County in Tennessee is a dry county. It also contains Lynchburg. The city with a horrible name and the home of the Jack Daniels distillery.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-29 20:52:03  
Some music artists kicked the habit of substance abuse and wrote music to warn folks like these first 3 videos.

Korn- Pop A Pill
YouTube Video Placeholder

Brian "Head" Welch - Flush

Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me)

While others in the industry still keep the message going

Stitches - Kilos In My Bag
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 21:26:06  
Valefor.Endoq said: »
Currently, only 1 of my friends are for certain not using heroin and meth...

***is an epidemic where I live.
All my friends are so distant from me...
They walk around with lifeless eyes and the only light in them is a burning anger that darkens their path even more as they fall deeper into despair...
That is so horrid. I am truly sorry for you.

I have lost friends to addictions over the years, but they always dropped out of my social circle so I didn't have to watch the disintegration.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-07-29 22:11:49  
Out in the west texas town of el paso, I fell in love with a mexican girl
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-29 22:18:57  
Ninja edit: I was 13 in 1967.

I was negative 18 in 1967 !
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-07-29 22:22:37  
nighttime would find me in rosa's cantina, music would play and fillina would whirl...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-07-29 22:33:47  
Asura.Thorva said: »
More than 194,000 people have died since 1999 from overdoses involving opioid painkillers, and abuse of the drugs has contributed to a national resurgence in addiction to heroin, another opiate.

All drug abuse combined falls way low on the list of deaths per year, talking like 0.15% of deaths per year, alcohol disorders being 0.16%

Hell asthma kills 0.42% people per year. Diarrhea is responsible for 3.15% of the deaths.

President Obama wants to spend a billion dollars on new treatment programs.
I feel like that money can go to better use.
There are several problems with your post:
-It's not just about mortality, morbidity matters.
-It doesn't have to kill half the population to take action. If it's preventable and its harm is established, it's not wise to not avoid it.
-Diarrhea is a symptom, you need to list its cause(s).
-Alcohol increases the risk of certain cancers several folds (funny how I was reading a new article earlier).

You'll find everything you need to know (with references) here:
CDC Fact Sheet: Alcohol Use and Your Health.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: Statistics and Facts.

Excerpt:
Quote:
Global Burden:
In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption.13
Alcohol contributes to over 200 diseases and injury-related health conditions, most notably alcohol dependence, liver cirrhosis, cancers, and injuries.14 In 2012, 5.1 percent of the burden of disease and injury worldwide (139 million disability-adjusted life-years) was attributable to alcohol consumption.13
Globally, alcohol misuse is the fifth leading risk factor for premature death and disability; among people between the ages of 15 and 49, it is the first.15 In the age group 20–39 years, approximately 25 percent of the total deaths are alcohol attributable.16
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-07-29 22:37:55  
blacker than night were the eyes of fillina, wicked and evil while casting a spell
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-07-29 22:40:54  
What if we just "carpet bombed" this thread with classic and outlaw country, girlboy? What then?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-07-29 22:41:26  
This isn't the Trump thread. :/
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2016-07-29 23:04:08  
my love was deep for this mexican maiden, I was in love but in vain I could tell...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-07-29 23:16:24  
Favorite drug of choice these days is alcohol in the form of a nice craft brew.

I liked lsd, when I was younger though; and I LOVED ecstasy. Haven't done them in forever though, had myself a few bad experiences on them and it totally changed the experience for me, bringing anxiety right along with their onsets. Anxiety doesn't pair well with LSD, ecstasy, or weed for that matter.

It's a shame, if it were possible I'd surely like to wade into the pool again, but you never know what you're taking, and jumping in the deep end is just no longer a good time.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-31 08:21:28  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Asura.Thorva said: »
More than 194,000 people have died since 1999 from overdoses involving opioid painkillers, and abuse of the drugs has contributed to a national resurgence in addiction to heroin, another opiate.

All drug abuse combined falls way low on the list of deaths per year, talking like 0.15% of deaths per year, alcohol disorders being 0.16%

Hell asthma kills 0.42% people per year. Diarrhea is responsible for 3.15% of the deaths.

President Obama wants to spend a billion dollars on new treatment programs.
I feel like that money can go to better use.
There are several problems with your post:
-It's not just about mortality, morbidity matters.
-It doesn't have to kill half the population to take action. If it's preventable and its harm is established, it's not wise to not avoid it.
-Diarrhea is a symptom, you need to list its cause(s).
-Alcohol increases the risk of certain cancers several folds (funny how I was reading a new article earlier).

You'll find everything you need to know (with references) here:
CDC Fact Sheet: Alcohol Use and Your Health.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: Statistics and Facts.

Excerpt:
Quote:
Global Burden:
In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption.13
Alcohol contributes to over 200 diseases and injury-related health conditions, most notably alcohol dependence, liver cirrhosis, cancers, and injuries.14 In 2012, 5.1 percent of the burden of disease and injury worldwide (139 million disability-adjusted life-years) was attributable to alcohol consumption.13
Globally, alcohol misuse is the fifth leading risk factor for premature death and disability; among people between the ages of 15 and 49, it is the first.15 In the age group 20–39 years, approximately 25 percent of the total deaths are alcohol attributable.16

Reading all this makes me really want a cold beer !
By Blazed1979 2016-07-31 08:52:16  
You know how being an online gamer kinda slowly eats into your social life? Well its been 13-14 years of me only going out with highschool and college friends at max once every 2-3 months (it didn't start that infrequently but its at that point now) and its usually for lunch or dinner. Being married with kids coming into their teens also limits how much going out I do.

My friends who play with me online in FFXI and other games are all perfectly fine. Most of their wives enjoy the fact that their husbands are home most of the time. None of them are addicted to anything. most don't even drink. They make all their kids concerts, parent/teach meetings etc.

I'm only just noticing the trend with friends who aren't gamers and what a mess their lives are in. Extreme substance abuse and most of them look like utter ***. There's one guy who was an all-star highschooler and played college football and was on the wrestling team. His eyes are always yellow, his teeth look a camel took a ***in his mouth. He's not obese but he's got the kind of belly that comes from eating nothing and drinking hard liquor. Dude got told he has kidney problems. Another chick looks like she's 10 years older than she actually is. One friend is prison for having run over someone while drunk. Another lost his job for sleeping in at his hotel during a trade show, where he was the main presenter.

It just seems like gaming is the least damaging vice. Everyone else who was out-there being an adult-child, still clubbing and still trying to be "cool" has ended up absolutely ***.

I often tell my wife that her and FFXI saved me from a pretty terrible future because I was the guy who partied hardest, went after all the women and thought he was invincible. Thank God I got my thrills in an online game, wiping to ***in game is a lot more forgiving than wiping to ***irl.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-31 08:54:12  
Addiction to FFXI is still an addiction. It may not seem harmful but there are consequences of video gaming. Mostly your *** getting bigger.
By Blazed1979 2016-07-31 08:58:36  
fonewear said: »
Addiction to FFXI is still an addiction. It may not seem harmful but there are consequences of video gaming. Mostly your *** getting bigger.
yeah but even that can be controlled and mitigated by doing some cardio 3-4 times a week. I'll admit my energy levels aren't what they were when I was 25. But I'm not walking around coughing green flem, breathless after a flight of stairs, or unable to walk.
Also Fone wtf that was an actual on topic post. You must be high or drunk.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-31 09:02:56  
Blazed1979 said: »
yeah but even that can be controlled and mitigated by doing some cardio 3-4 times a week. I'll admit my energy levels aren't what they were when I was 25. But I'm not walking around coughing green flem, breathless after a flight of stairs, or unable to walk.
Also Fone wtf that was an actual on topic post. You must be high or drunk.

I can read in small doses !
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-31 09:28:07  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I liked lsd, when I was younger though; and I LOVED ecstasy. Haven't done them in forever though, had myself a few bad experiences on them and it totally changed the experience for me, bringing anxiety right along with their onsets. Anxiety doesn't pair well with LSD, ecstasy, or weed for that matter....
Total agreement Nausi. Except I never had anxiety on ecstasy. If I could find real MDA* out there again I would be tempted but I amn't looking.

*For the non drugies most ecstasy is either MDA or MDMA, almost identical in their effects.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-31 09:30:07  
People have lost jobs, marriages, and homes over video game addiction. I know one who ruined his health by gaining over 80 lbs in less than a year on WoW.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [174 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-20 20:42:34  
The best article I have found yet on our opioid crisis:

‘You want a description of hell?’ OxyContin’s 12-hour problem
LA Times

And look, your favorite grandma aged poster is both a wise and experienced druggie. I have sold and consumed more drugs than you ever have. But only recreational. Well... save for occasionally running American Marlboroughs into Canada...

But this crap is EXPLOSIVE. I mean Purdue Pharma are pushers. And worse mass murders than Walter White.

Oh, this is NOT a two minuet read,
By Blazed1979 2017-01-21 12:34:21  
Where's that "water kills more people than heroin and meth combined" gif when you need it.