日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Mayweather vs McGregor
Mayweather vs McGregor
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-28 15:38:05  
Always amusing seeing internet guys claim "I'LL SAY THAT TO HIS FACE I DON'T CARE". Knowing they'll never have to live up to it and nobody can challenge then on it. So tough
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 15:51:16  
afheal said: »
...the most technical fighter in history? He won, his record is 50-0, and no amount of bitterness will change that!

Common sense finally!!!! ...Anyone saying Mayweather isn't brilliant in and out the ring is either a troll or something else I don't feel like typing due to it being denied.

I'm assuming you are parading my statement as an arrival of common sense, but I'm also one who will always say Mayweather is not brilliant in and out of the ring. I'll agree he is a savvy businessman but that is as far as I will go.
I could get an undefeated record in the Special Olympics if I wanted to. And no doubt there will be athletes there that will make me work harder for my wins. It doesn't mean my record would be worth respecting. Instead, it would cheapen the efforts of those competing for something more important than a hollow record.

Mayweather is not worthy of your "most whatever in history" or "brilliant" statements. He picked his fights like an actor picks his movies or a prosecutor picks his cases. Some aim for $$$ and others aim for critical acclaim. Truly special individuals can achieve both, but Mayweather is not of this category.

If you think Mayweather's 50-0 record is impressive, accept now that you will forever be in a shrinking minority.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-08-28 15:58:41  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Always amusing seeing internet guys claim "I'LL SAY THAT TO HIS FACE I DON'T CARE". Knowing they'll never have to live up to it and nobody can challenge then on it. So tough

Just means you trust someone with that much to lose isn't going to risk getting arrested over what Joe Nobody thinks of them..
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 16:02:17  
Haha, yeah, insulting someone like McGregor or Mayweather redefines "cash grab." The result will almost always prove negative, since the two most probable options are:

1) Nothing happens. Mr. Rich knows better than to waste his time.

2) Mr. Rich is so irritated that he will take the bait... And make sure the annoyance is so beaten he couldn't enjoy a settlement even if he gets one.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:08:20  
I really don't understand your stance on Mayweather. That's how Boxing works. They pick their opponent that will give them the most $$/highest chance of victory. The Promoters have all the power in boxing, and it is all money grabs.

That's why UFC is more popular, because they put the best vs the best, or the most interesting fight together when it is asked for.
By afheal 2017-08-28 16:16:02  
If he's not brilliant business man = bought out his contract from Bob Arum, bought the golden boy roster, renegotiated his contract where he made more money than ANY fighter (even til this day), helped others renegotiate their contracts to not get r*ped (i.e. Paq) promoted his fights and got people to buy based off of the hatred towards him...

I can keep going if you like?

Brilliant boxer = calculated EVERY punch and fight and showed that you can retire without losing your motor skills.

Plus what stamos said is 100% facts! Floyd did the job of what promoters have done for years. What's the difference? Oh yea, he was able to control the beginning and end of ALL of his fights.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-08-28 16:17:54  
If he's not brilliant business man = bought out his contract from Bob Arum, bought the golden boy roster, renegotiated his contract where he made more money than ANY fighter (even til this day), helped others renegotiate their contracts to not get r*ped (i.e. Paq) promoted his fights and got people to buy based off of the hatred towards him...

I can keep going if you like?

Brilliant boxer = calculated EVERY punch and fight and showed that you can retire without losing your motor skills.

Plus what stamos said is 100% facts! Floyd did the job of what promoters have done for years. What's the difference? Oh yea, he was able to control the beginning and end of ALL of his fights.

None of that is about being good at boxing. You can say what you want about his greed and ability to make mountains of cash, no one can debate that.

Still a shitty person, and a worse boxer.

It wasn't even worth the effort to bet on him, you would've made 5 cents per dollar. What kind of salesmanship is that?
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 16:18:03  
What you are implying is that there is no integrity in boxing, it is all about money. And that is what Mayweather has made many believe.
It is with that that I disagree. Sure, there is a lot of money at stake. These athletes deserve to be paid lots of money. They are literally cutting their lives short, ruining their long-term health, to appease the fans that claim to love them.
But if a match isn't set to determine who really is the better athlete, if the outcome is so obviously hedged to the benefit of one over the other, why bother? Just set your dollars on fire. At least that way, you'll get some light and heat.
By afheal 2017-08-28 16:21:18  
Last comment, what the difference between Marciano and Floyd? Hint, they did the SAME exact things but one had help...
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:23:11  
There is very little integrity in Boxing. When Boxing has no governing body to oversee anything, and it is all owned by old rich white men that are all about making money, what do you think is the outcome?

The whole point of boxing is to market a fighter well enough so they are popular enough to be a main draw in a PPV fight. Once they reach that point their whole objective is to milk as much money as possible.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-08-28 16:25:39  
Leviathan.Stamos said: »
There is very little integrity in Boxing. When Boxing has no governing body to oversee anything, and it is all owned by old rich white men that are all about making money, what do you think is the outcome?

The whole point of boxing is to market a fighter well enough so they are popular enough to be a main draw in a PPV fight. Once they reach that point their whole objective is to milk as much money as possible.

That says more about the stupidity of the people paying for PPV than the ability of Mayweather to get them to pay for it.

(it's also accurate.)

For the record, I pirated the event.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:28:35  
He marketed himself well. Everyone pays to see him get knocked out. What people hope to see is that "this" opponent will be different than the others, and be able to knock him out.

Really, I disagree with people saying Mayweather is not brilliant in the ring. If you are saying he isn't a great brawler I will agree. But, every high classed/top rank fighter he has fought over the last what? Ten years, he makes them look bad. Not because they are bad, but he makes them look bad. Similar to a great defense in Football, making a great offense look bad.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-08-28 16:39:59  
Leviathan.Stamos said: »
He marketed himself well. Everyone pays to see him get knocked out. What people hope to see is that "this" opponent will be different than the others, and be able to knock him out.

Really, I disagree with people saying Mayweather is not brilliant in the ring. If you are saying he isn't a great brawler I will agree. But, every high classed/top rank fighter he has fought over the last what? Ten years, he makes them look bad. Not because they are bad, but he makes them look bad. Similar to a great defense in Football, making a great offense look bad.

That's kinda the point, Conklin's overhand right had literally absolute zero chance of knocking out Roper.

And you STILL paid to see it, that's -not- marketing, that's Nascar.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:42:46  
Well, he markets himself to be hated. Flaunting his wealth, talking trash, being undefeated etc.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 16:43:13  
Last comment, what the difference between Marciano and Floyd? Hint, they did the SAME exact things but one had help...

I'll bite, because it sounds like you are really interested in this so I'm hoping we can all learn from your opinions. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely interested; to me, this is the whole point.

Let's start somewhere easy. If you look up both boxers on Wikipedia, Marciano's article ends with Legacy and Mayweather's ends with Controversies.

But that difference isn't really a fair answer, since we're supposed to be comparing them as boxers. So, let's go deeper, a major difference between Marciano and Floyd are:

Under Legacy, the third paragraph:
Quote:
John Durant, author of The Heavyweight Champions, wrote in 1971 (pg. 123) "Critics do not rate Rocky with the great ones, like Jeffries, Johnson, Dempsey, Tunney and Louis. He never faced top fighters like they did. It was not Rocky's fault, of course, that there was a lack of talent when he was boxing. He fought them all and that is what a champion is supposed to do."

You might like some of this article, but the counter-point to the above is:
Quote:
Put simply, Mayweather can't compete. And Robinson isn't alone in that; there are a number of boxers who can point to a more impressive list of victories than Mayweather can, impressive enough that their defeats aren't enough to elevate Mayweather above them. You can certainly argue that it was a different age for many of those boxers and it was far more common for them to box once a month (or even more frequently), which allowed them to pack in all these bouts but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. They still beat the better competition.

TLDR: It can be said that Marciano fought all of the talent of his time. Mayweather did not engage the talent of his time. He waited until an opponent's talent was waning, their bodies were aging, they had taken a few extra beatings here and there, so he didn't have to compete with talent. He just wanted to stand over the names.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:49:47  
I don't even like Mayweather, but I think you are doing him a discredit. The only fight you can say he waited for was Manny. The reason he waited on Manny, because he was pretty sure Manny was on PEDs. Manny refused to do a lot of testing during negations, so the fight took forever to get done.
By afheal 2017-08-28 16:50:07  
TOOOOO easy lol. Fact #1: Marciano had repeat fights, sometimes back to back, same as Floyd

Fact #2: Both fought individuals rated high in their weight class, Floyd went to multiple weight classes to obtain titles

Fact #3: Archie Moore...
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 16:52:12  
Difference between Marciano and Mayweather is Marciano was a heavyweight. There have been many lighter fighters to go way past 49-0. 49-0 is a heavyweight record.
By afheal 2017-08-28 16:55:29  
That's the other difference! Thanks, forgot about that
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 17:05:26  
@afheal: Are we just spouting unrelated facts, similarities between the boxers, or differences? I was expecting a more interesting reply...

@Stamos: I agree the whole Manny thing isn't all on Mayweather. Or even mostly on Mayweather. But there are other examples of what became an obvious trend that culminated in a (I hope) final bout with an amateur boxer.
Check out the second article I linked, 4) … but he has ducked some

All said, I've agreed that Mayweather is a savvy businessman. For many supporters, that equates to being among the greatest boxers of all time. I strongly disagree. If you stop taking risks, you aren't the greatest anything.
By afheal 2017-08-28 17:08:57  

TOOOOO easy lol. Fact #1: Marciano had repeat fights, sometimes back to back, same as Floyd

Fact #2: Both fought individuals rated high in their weight class, Floyd went to multiple weight classes to obtain titles

Fact #3: Archie Moore...

The third one was the "help" that got Roc his final win.

The point was what makes Marciano great and Floyd not? Plus please stop using the guardian as your source...
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 17:11:59  
I think he would make some of the greatest boxers that were in his weight class look very bad and be another boring fight. I don't think he is overall one of the greatest fighters, he is not well rounded enough. But, what he is good at(defense and out pointing opponents) he is great at.
By afheal 2017-08-28 17:17:28  
I can see that Stamos. I just used Marciano as the bar since Floyd was going after his record. My question was since Marciano chose the majority of his fights versus ppl that weren't that great during the time AND had a controversial last fight, what makes him great and Floyd just ok?
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-28 17:17:46  
I wouldn't equate the Marciano/Moore bout with the Mayweather/McGregor bout. For one, only one of these final matches involved an amateur...

You are welcome to link any sources you find to be better.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-08-28 17:22:23  
Theoretically speaking, to beat Mayweather you would have to have a really long reach like McGregor to cause him problems with top notch hand speed/power. The reason it was even remotely competitive for a little is Conor's stance/length. He was using it to his full advantage at first, but he wasn't skilled enough or powerful enough to keep Mayweather from moving forward.

The reason people say Mayweather is a genius is simple, he made people buy something that they knew was going to be boring. Mayweather fights are always boring.
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-28 17:37:09  
I dano I feel the expected physical fight of the century is Mitch McConnell vs Jeff sessions. Wrinkle faced man turtles finally see who's better!
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-08-28 17:51:13  
people still trying to discredit floyd by saying he dodged fighters, but not saying who he should of fought. seriously, manny was definitely roided up for like a full decade and a half. his promoter wouldn't let him fight floyd while taking the tests. floyd is one of the most talented fighters ever. period. you can disagree, but you'll be in the minority. linking a wiki page and an opinion piece article doesn't change the fact that he fought everyone that was supposed to beat him and won in amazing fashion.

highest % landed lowest % landed on him. gtfo with this nonsense. only 1 "official" knock down that was him taking a knee when he broke his hand. you don't have to like the guy, but it's like people saying tom brady is garbage cause they don't like the patriots.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-08-28 17:52:52  
also the most manly physical fight of the last 100 years was Don Fyre vs Yoshihiro. ***was straight out of an anime.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-08-28 17:55:46  
and just for triple posts sake, connor fought dirty as ***. can't believe the ref let that go on, but if he didn't people would say he protected floyd too much.
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-28 18:24:43  
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
also the most manly physical fight of the last 100 years was Don Fyre vs Yoshihiro. ***was straight out of an anime.

YouTube Video Placeholder
:0