Does Anyone Play FFXI Using Cellular Data?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Does anyone play FFXI using cellular data?
Does anyone play FFXI using cellular data?
 Cerberus.Resetti
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Freezepop
By Cerberus.Resetti 2018-03-05 15:09:46  
I'm wondering if anyone uses FFXI using cellular data because I'm looking for any upgrades to running ffxi with my DSL. I'm currently sitting at 1.2mbps upload .8 download with DSL and I'm tired of it. I know that data is controlled after a certain amount of usage and can become slow. Does anyone know if this slower speed is slower than DSL? I'm looking specifically for people that have ATT but anyone's knowledge on the subject is appreciated! Thank you!
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2018-03-05 15:16:34  
Do you have an older limited plan or an unlimited plan? The game doesn't use that much data. I don't think you'd hit the point where AT&T would throttle you if you're not doing other crazy things via your cell data.
 Cerberus.Resetti
By Cerberus.Resetti 2018-03-05 15:19:12  
Well I know when my wife uses Netflix with my DSL I lag pretty bad on DSL. I'm wondering if it will be the same thing with cell data.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-03-05 15:21:01  
Dsl is terrible...

When ever i visted my moms house they had dsl... my att 4g was faster
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-05 15:23:34  
Cerberus.Resetti said: »
I'm wondering if anyone uses FFXI using cellular data because I'm looking for any upgrades to running ffxi with my DSL. I'm currently sitting at 1.2mbps upload .8 download with DSL and I'm tired of it. I know that data is controlled after a certain amount of usage and can become slow. Does anyone know if this slower speed is slower than DSL? I'm looking specifically for people that have ATT but anyone's knowledge on the subject is appreciated! Thank you!
The area I was at for two days had no internet and I used my celluar data with my phone. It ran fine I will admit I had lag logging into characters but no issue after logging in. Mind you using a laptop with 4 windows at same time.
By zaxtiss 2018-03-05 15:23:59  
i used to 4 box FFXI when i lived in Phoenix using my cell
By Nyarlko 2018-03-05 15:33:24  
Of course you will lag if someone else starts streaming video on the same line. FFXI uses very little data quantity-wise, and is capped to a very low speed server-side, so 3g+ should be fine if all you are doing is using it for FFXI and not trying to download updates.
By clearlyamule 2018-03-05 15:43:01  
I've done it on ATT and cricket (which is mostly AT&T). About what you'd expect from 8-10 mbps. A bit slower but 3 box fine if I wasn't streaming at the same time. Still get to data caps easily and data is kind of expensive on AT&T
By Zephin 2018-03-05 16:04:06  
I've played on a Tethered phone for 3+ years now.

Most of the phone plans in my area are sourced through AT&T.
When they throttle me for my "unlimited" 15 gig limit, i can still 3-4 box if i wish.

I'm on the edge of nowhere with a cell booster, so my connection isn't 100%, mild lag spikes once in a while, but i rarely ever fully DC.

If your in a good service area i would see no problems playing off cell data.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2018-03-05 16:17:56  
I used to use my hotspot at work when the wifi was terrible. With 2-boxing for ~3 hours I'd only use about 18 MB with some light FFXIAH and GameFAQS browsing. The only downside was that it drained the battery pretty quickly.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-03-05 16:57:06  
Have Verizon now, but have done it on T-Mobile and as well. Never had a problem tethering cellular data, and I did it for an entire month straight on T-mobile, and still didn't budge much data at the end of the cycle. Have even done it in the car on the road for long trips. To be fair, I did have a grandfathered Unlimited plan that could never be depleted. But the data the game consumes was so little, I never once got a notice from either provider that my data was going down in speed. Probably would even be fine if you go over your data anyways.

I'd say you would be fine tethering np
By Draylo 2018-03-05 17:04:12  
Have tried so many times and with unlimited data and nothing but random lag.
 Odin.Kealoha
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-03-05 17:07:15  
People seem to assume that once you’re on your hotspot, everything is fine and dandy. Just remember, your connection will only be as good as your cell coverage.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-05 17:10:37  
My coverage is good it seems ;0 unlimited :)
 Odin.Kealoha
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-03-05 17:12:48  
Coverage as in how many bars you have. :p
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-05 17:30:26  
Odin.Kealoha said: »
When I used it I was full bars then minus one bar no issues t mobile ftw
 Odin.Kealoha
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-03-05 17:34:09  
Odin.Drakenv said: »
That's good. Coverage will of course depend on the carrier and where you live.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-05 17:35:42  
Odin.Drakenv said: »
That's good. Coverage will of course depend on the carrier and where you live.
True :( stupid desert I mean .. not the desert
 Bahamut.Kludge
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Cobit
By Bahamut.Kludge 2018-03-05 18:09:55  
I've run FFXI on my grandfathered VZW Unlimited Data Plan for around 2 years through PDANet+. If the speed gets throttled or the connection becomes congested, FFXI rarely ever goes down, and is usually the last to go when it does.

In all honesty, It's the most reliable connection I've played on.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-03-05 18:12:15  
Bahamut.Kludge said: »
I've run FFXI on my grandfathered VZW Unlimited Data Plan for around 2 years through PDANet+. If the speed gets throttled or the connection becomes congested, FFXI rarely ever goes down, and is usually the last to go when it does.

In all honesty, It's the most reliable connection I've played on.

Agree here, when you get throttled it doesn't phase ffxi at all (playing) but if you d/c and try to log back in... holy *** its terrible.

My phones connection is considerably more reliable than comcast or att I've used.
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2018-03-05 18:55:40  
I used to back maybe 4-5 years ago before HNM died off(maybe longer) i got called at 2 am to come tank tiamat,So im sitting on the side of the freeway at 2 AM expecting to get a cop to pull over :c,That was from cricket(ATT knock off) here in houston worked fine for me,Hotspot and cell data has progressed alot since then,So i would assume so,Just really depends on your coverage honestly,Check your Provider and there map coverage
By Odin.Kuroganashi 2018-03-05 19:03:20  
Where I Live at, there is no internet connections, so yes, I use Mobile Data to play FFXI + Discord (It runs just fine)
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-03-05 19:21:33  
I sometimes play tethered (T-Mobile). It works okay even when I use too much data and get throttled to 2G bandwidth. The occurrence of dropped packets is much higher in congested areas though. In those circumstances the game can be unplayable (think escha dragons, 18x person omen, etc.)
By Jetackuu 2018-03-05 19:42:22  
Quendi210 said: »
Do you have an older limited plan or an unlimited plan? The game doesn't use that much data. I don't think you'd hit the point where AT&T would throttle you if you're not doing other crazy things via your cell data.

I like how you say "older limited plan" like they didn't force everyone to limited plans a few years ago.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-03-05 19:43:36  
I get 10 gigs a month *unlimited hotspot specifically* before throttle, and FFXI does actually cap that. (but it wouldn't if I only played one account)

It takes about 15 days to burn those 10gigs
 Shiva.Spynx
サーバ: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2018-03-05 20:10:19  
I used my Verizon phone as hotspot for FFXI for couple months last summer. Of course there is an higher network latency (translated to time it takes for your input to become action) but it's reasonable over a decent network and not much worse than a home wifi. In term of data consumption I never broke 100M/day (average being 40-50M/day) with a single character while actively doing content for 4-5h. FFXI was created ages ago with 56k connections in mind so it's very low in network demand (main reason why zoning and loading your inventory take forever)
By clearlyamule 2018-03-05 20:10:39  
Jetackuu said: »

I like how you say "older limited plan" like they didn't force everyone to limited plans a few years ago.
Pretty much was so mad when I upgraded to a smart phone and not only did the plan cost more but lost true unlimited.

Though not quite everyone. Cricket's unlimited actually was still full unlimited no throttling up until a few months ago. Even now it's their highest plan is like 22 gig before they throttle and cheaper by half than my 3 gig plan at AT&T
Guildwork Premium
By Quendi210 2018-03-05 20:15:27  
Jetackuu said: »

I don't know at what point you're referring to. I'm currently on a limited plan because it's more cost effective than switching to one of the "unlimited plans" because of number of devices on it. That is what I was referring to since AT&T no longer offers the plan I have.
 Cerberus.Resetti
By Cerberus.Resetti 2018-03-06 00:35:59  
To everyone that responded, thank you very much for your feedback!
[+]