Idris
First Page 2
 Asura.Rinuko
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2018-05-01 10:58:25  
Hello,

I'm thinking of returning to the game and was thinking of finishing my GEO to 99 and try gear it up.

My worry is Idris is something everyone require like BRDs are expected Ghorn and whatnot (unless that changed during my break) or is GEO decent without Idris?
By tyalangan 2018-05-01 11:02:56  
There was literally a post on this (got side tracked) the post before yours. Should answer your questions.

Is Idris Not Needed

Short answer is no. I have two non Idris Geos that have done all game content (minus JP battles). It obviously can help and I am in the process of getting their Idris's but just do it as you go. Will take 6 months anyway and you should be fully geared up by then.
By Rinuko 2018-05-01 11:07:50  
I was reading through it, it came across a troll post with all comments to me so I was hoping to get a serious answer by making my own thread. I'm sorry.
By tyalangan 2018-05-01 11:11:10  
No worries. Text is hard at displaying sentiment. I meant it more as "hah, that's funny this was just posted" than "can't you read!". Also, why i put that it got side tracked in parenthesis as I'm not sure there was a concise answer. Which is also why I wrote my short answer at the end. Hope that helps.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-01 12:29:36  
Asura.Alfylicious said: »
The only trouble you face, especially on asura is that so many GEO's have idris and they will always be chosen for parties over a non-idris geo.

Idris definitely needs to be a goal if you are maining GEO.
Facts
By Rinuko 2018-05-01 14:06:18  
The only trouble you face, especially on asura is that so many GEO's have idris and they will always be chosen for parties over a non-idris geo.

That's perfectly fine. That should probably be the goal for most jobs i imagine.

Main reason is i used to play BRD a ton back in 75 days but from what i understand BRD isnt taken anymore unless you can do 4 songs (?)

So that leaves GEO or COR for my support fix.
By Kodaijin 2018-05-01 14:52:35  
You will be able to do all content with a non-idris GEO as long as you have the proper gear and skill. Obviously go for Idris long term. You could also do BRD at the same time if you love that job. Relics are easy and when the VW campaign hits, you can get the plates and rift items in a month for the Harp. farm the NMs at your own pace before or after the campaign. Get the aeonic horn using your geo to kill NMs.
You mentioned cor... its the quickest to gear for rollsbut you also tend to roll and then disband unless your able to contribute to dmg.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-02 01:32:25  
If you could for an instant pretend you have an Idris, 90% of PUG members and leaders would never notice you don't have one, once you guys start doing content.

That aside NO, you don't "need" an Idris.
But "yes" it's gonna be a trouble getting invites to a large quantity of end game events, when most of them specifically ask for an Idris GEO. Which, let me remind you, they have all rights to do even if it's not "necessary".

I guess it kinda depends on the server you're on, I'm describing what I see happening around me on Asura.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-02 01:37:36  
Asura.Sechs said: »
If you could for an instant pretend you have an Idris, 90% of PUG members and leaders would never notice you don't have one, once you guys start doing content.

This. Idle in something that isn't solstice, no one will have a god damn clue you don't have an idris. hell a good portion of idris owners don't even know when they accidentally cast in not-idris.

I tell people the same thing when someone has an acc requirement in their shout, *** em, lie.

RDM lock styled as a BLU no one will notice unless they want you to MG.
[+]
By geigei 2018-05-02 01:39:11  
I can tell if idris/bolster/bog is used in content i usually do.
By Afania 2018-05-02 02:32:28  
Asura.Eiryl said: »

This. Idle in something that isn't solstice, no one will have a god damn clue you don't have an idris. hell a good portion of idris owners don't even know when they accidentally cast in not-idris.

I tell people the same thing when someone has an acc requirement in their shout, *** em, lie.

RDM lock styled as a BLU no one will notice unless they want you to MG.

I can tell by comparing the ws avg v.s idris runs, it usually shows on parse. The NM needs to have really low defense(or roll with cor+drg or something for defense down) for nq geo not making any ws avg difference on parse.

That being said, people don't normally demand for idris if friends or lsmate wants to join, that would be an ***. So if OP is worried there's always "get invite from ls and friends" route.

Also I know that RDM pretend to be blu is a joke but still.....we can tell by temperII gain str Stoneskin enspell, which they absolutely should cast on DD RDM.

Shouts with acc requirement is 99% bad setup without brd.
By Afania 2018-05-02 03:47:48  
Rinuko said: »

That's perfectly fine. That should probably be the goal for most jobs i imagine.

Main reason is i used to play BRD a ton back in 75 days but from what i understand BRD isnt taken anymore unless you can do 4 songs (?)

So that leaves GEO or COR for my support fix.

Purely personal pov, which doesn't apply to N or lower level content.

BRD:
I use 3 song brd in VD quite often, mostly because 4 songs are very rare so I have to settle for 3. However I prefer 3 song brd to have honor March access at least. If I can't get hm or 4 song brd, VD is still doable but at that point I prefer not to play cor because acc requirement is too high and it's painful to dps.

That being said, there's severe lack of brd in the job market so having a top end brd means lots and lots of opportunities. I would encourage you pick up brd for more opportunities.

GEO:
I also use nq geo in VD quite often, mostly because people want in and nq geo is all they have that fits in.

Idris makes quite a bit of ws avg difference, but it can be offset by inviting a cor for chaos roll and making sure your DD pop more defense down debuffs or just bloster.

Armor break, Tenebral Crush angon and Tachi: Ageha are some defense down from various jobs.

If you have cor and DD job that can do above def down then the difference between nq and idris is much smaller. Alternatively just bloster then reset bolster with wc.

I would say even nq geo has better Contribution than roll only cor or 3 song brd without hm.

Cor:
The job usually occupy a DD slot unless it's smn burn. I rarely use setup with cor in support slot since it's just not effective. Like any DD job, you are competing with tons, tons and tons of people with capped gears, and there are more well geared cor than Idris geo. Many people who primarily play DD just recycle gears for cor as a way to expand their job role versatility, resulting the job market being extremely competitive.

So you either have to gear cor to competitive level to get a chance(and this chance is quite small), or don't bother. SMN burn and nuke is really the only setup with room for roll only cor. I personally don't think it's a good job for "support fix" unless you go with friends or ls.

Also just FYI for comparisons sake, in this months ambuscade with same DD, a pt with cor + Idris + 3 song brd without hm roughly takes 7.5 min a run. Nq geo + cor + 4 song/hm brd takes 6 min, Idris + cor + 4 song/hm brd takes 5 min closer to 4.

The jp video without cor took almost 6 min.

So rough estimate when it comes to kill speed improvement in vd: nq brd to hq > nq geo to Idris > DD to DD cor.

Considering we didn't use armor break on main NM, nq geo pt could be even faster. I don't think the difference between nq geo and Idris is THAT big in terms of kill speed, to the point that nq can't do content at all.

The problem is job market, bigger server has more competitive job market because there are more people and leader has more choice. And burning bridges by not inviting friends/lsmates are less punishing with more bridges to burn. On a server with 300 people, if you don't invite friends with nq geo that wants in, pretty soon you won't have any friends to do stuff with. So you are more likely to get in without Idris.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-05-02 05:03:10  
Rinuko said: »
I was reading through it, it came across a troll post with all comments to me so I was hoping to get a serious answer by making my own thread. I'm sorry.

I assure you, I did not mean for it to be a troll post. Some of those who commented on it made it that way. >-<
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-02 05:42:53  
Afania said: »
That being said, there's severe lack of brd in the job market so having a top end brd means lots and lots of opportunities.
With the amount of RMEA a job like BRD is "required" to have, is that really so surprising?

I kinda, partially, disagree with your statement though.
Yes, fully fledged BRDs are more rare than an Idris GEO (on Asura).
Yes, BRD is now more useful thanks to Honor March mostly and the song potency update we received lately, making so (in conjunction with several other changes) that melee setup are more viable for a wider amount of content.
Before that BRD wasn't very useful, mostly a ballad/mage secondary (and not compulsory) job, mandatory just in a couple of circumstances for sleeps and such.

Still, GEO offers imo more potential in general. It's true (on Asura, at least) you'll have much more competition, and it's true GEO lacks the "different amount of buffs" versatility BRD offers, but at the same time GEO's buffs/debuffs are incredibly powerful and give meaningful advantage to pretty much any setup for any co ntent, except content made purposedly to make GEO irrelevant (NMs immune to GEO debuff).
Keep in mind that type of content was likely created EXACTELY for the purpose of limiting the attractiveness of GEO as a "master" of buffer jobs.
GEO has an use in magic setups, has an use in defensive stuff, has an use in pet setups, has an use in melee setups, has an use in ranged setups.

BRD is mandatory maybe for melee setups, but in all other setups it's totally replaceable by other buffers (aside from Lullaby needs, of course)
By Afania 2018-05-02 11:25:30  
That being said, there's severe lack of brd in the job market so having a top end brd means lots and lots of opportunities.
With the amount of RMEA a job like BRD is "required" to have, is that really so surprising?

I kinda, partially, disagree with your statement though.
Yes, fully fledged BRDs are more rare than an Idris GEO (on Asura).
Yes, BRD is now more useful thanks to Honor March mostly and the song potency update we received lately, making so (in conjunction with several other changes) that melee setup are more viable for a wider amount of content.
Before that BRD wasn't very useful, mostly a ballad/mage secondary (and not compulsory) job, mandatory just in a couple of circumstances for sleeps and such.

Still, GEO offers imo more potential in general. It's true (on Asura, at least) you'll have much more competition, and it's true GEO lacks the "different amount of buffs" versatility BRD offers, but at the same time GEO's buffs/debuffs are incredibly powerful and give meaningful advantage to pretty much any setup for any co ntent, except content made purposedly to make GEO irrelevant (NMs immune to GEO debuff).
Keep in mind that type of content was likely created EXACTELY for the purpose of limiting the attractiveness of GEO as a "master" of buffer jobs.
GEO has an use in magic setups, has an use in defensive stuff, has an use in pet setups, has an use in melee setups, has an use in ranged setups.

BRD is mandatory maybe for melee setups, but in all other setups it's totally replaceable by other buffers (aside from Lullaby needs, of course)

Oh, the reason why I suggest him pick up brd again isn't because brd is more versatile than geo, but because he used "play a ton", suggesting him likes it. And it sounds like he just look into other support as replacement of brd due to lower entry requirement.

My point is, don't get discouraged by the gear requirement. Once you past the grinding stage on brd there's a ton of opportunities.
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-05-02 11:49:56  
It's an age old question: do I need X to play Y job.

The answer will always be: No, you don't need X to play Y, but you need to compensate somehow, usually through playing skill, armor optimization, situational awareness, teamwork, a doctorate in game mechanics, reaction-speed, whatever, etc.

If you're not able to do any of the above, and you're just looking for free lunch, then yeah, I'm sorry... but you'll definitely be needing an X to play Y.
[+]
By Afania 2018-05-02 11:53:20  
From community stand point, X gear is more like college degree for Y job, because people often invite people based on what they have, not who they are.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-05-02 11:59:20  
From community stand point, X gear is more like college degree for Y job, because people often invite people based on what they have, not who they are.

And just like college degrees, most of the people who have them still turn out to be useless. XD
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-02 13:31:35  
Shiva.Arislan said: »

And just like college degrees, most of the people who have them still turn out to be useless. XD

butbutbut.....I swear I'll use my Doctorate of Musicology DAILY!!!! ;)
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2018-05-02 15:59:03  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »

butbutbut.....I swear I'll use my Doctorate of Musicology DAILY!!!! ;)

Your doctorate reminds me of what MNKs go through in life..

Moment of silence for MNKs.. (we might need more than a moment due to Boost Delays ../sigh)..
 Quetzalcoatl.Aish
By Quetzalcoatl.Aish 2018-05-12 14:48:47  
Hi,I began GEO maybe 3-4 years ago,(I'm slow.so it takes time for everything)And I joined most of endgame with Solstice.(You need help for getting it at Geas Fete)I don't remember what I used before that..
I spent 1 year or maybe more with Solstice and dunna.Doing Ambuscade VD,Geas Fete T3,like that.You can be decent GEO with Solstice.
At least on Quetz,which is less populated server,Idris is less required than BRD's lots of equipments.(I gave up BRD)

But eventually,you want to make Idris to do job better.
And as many ppl here told you,so many GEO,even 2nd or 3rd accounts,have Idris.
But you can work as decent GEO on the way to make Idris.
(Now I got it,with 10000 beitetsu,It makes bubble lasts longer,at least)

And,I don't use my B.A political Science in my daily life except in my cause..(Sorry,..someone here XD)<Edit,I mean Senaki
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-05-12 16:25:01  
Quetzalcoatl.Aish said: »
Hi,I began GEO maybe 3-4 years ago,(I'm slow.so it takes time for everything)And I joined most of endgame with Solstice.(You need help for getting it at Geas Fete)I don't remember what I used before that..
I spent 1 year or maybe more with Solstice and dunna.Doing Ambuscade VD,Geas Fete T3,like that.You can be decent GEO with Solstice.
At least on Quetz,which is less populated server,Idris is less required than BRD's lots of equipments.(I gave up BRD)

But eventually,you want to make Idris to do job better.
And as many ppl here told you,so many GEO,even 2nd or 3rd accounts,have Idris.
But you can work as decent GEO on the way to make Idris.

And,I don't use my B.A political Science in my daily life except in my cause..(Sorry,..someone here XD)
:)
By aigulfe 2018-05-16 21:16:07  
tbh, I think it more depends on who you're rolling with. Strong shell with top of the line DDs or SMNs or tanks, whatever is needed, can get by with NQ or even no GEO depending on the content. If your group is not as strong then you probably DO need an idris to compensate for that/ Dont feel like i'm breaking any news here and I haven't read all the replies but a lot of the time I just see "yes" or "no" when tbh neither is the right answer imo.

Stuff like the harder aeonic clear fights, I feel like most of the time they are necessary, especially if you're trying to clear 8-9 people as opposed to six. But the player base has a wide gap between the top-tier players, the next tier below that and then like the average players. Stuff like trying to drop Schah in 30 seconds in a 7-person, 3 SMN burn if maybe all 3 SMNs aren't top flight.. you want an idris for that.

HP Bayld is cheap, it's going to take you six months to clear the coalitions if you haven't started so you can pace yourself, get it done way cheaper than 18-24 months ago. If your group is relying on you to GEO a good chunk of the content, make the idris. If your main role is something else and maybe you just fill in from time to time as needed, probably not as needed.

Post deleted by User.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [115 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Aish
By Quetzalcoatl.Aish 2018-09-09 08:20:26  
Asura.Hrohj said: »

Uh, what?
Oh I realized what I written.maybe I was half asleep.(It happens a lot)I added 10000 beitetsu for M-acc,not bubble.sorry.
Also sorry for necro bump.(I was moving in RL)

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aish
By Quetzalcoatl.Aish 2018-09-30 16:22:03  
I mean,I was half asleep when I wrote
"(Now I got it,with 10000 beitetsu,It makes bubble lasts longer,at least)"

It doesn't affect bubble's strength (weird English)does it?

(Edit in 2020.Something was wrong in my head back then)
By kishr 2018-09-30 18:33:33  
Wot
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2018-09-30 18:52:21  
I mean,I was half asleep when I wrote
"(Now I got it,with 10000 beitetsu,It makes bubble lasts longer,at least)"

It doesn't affect bubble's strength (weird English)does it?
I'm trying despite my crappy English,plz don't bully me :(

No it does not affect your bubble's strength.
[+]
First Page 2