users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » July 2018 Ambuscade V2
July 2018 Ambuscade V2
 Quetzalcoatl.Jaqbauer
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: jaqbauer
By Quetzalcoatl.Jaqbauer 2018-07-09 08:02:52  
Has anyone figured out the gimmick on V2 yet? We tried Difficult yesterday and managed to clear it, but it took 15 minutes. The boss seemed to take reduced damage to the point where WS never broke 2k. Dispel from our RDM managed to take off buffs, but that didn't fix the low damage output problem.
By Nyarlko 2018-07-09 08:27:07  
Something something.. fire damage.. boiled crab.. something something.

^ The devs have been basically spelling out the gimmicks/strats for V2 for a while now during FP broadcasts. I just didn't care to translate it when I watched FP40 due to lack of interest from the playerbase on this side.

The official summary for FP40 should be up on POL sometime this week. Suggest you keep an eye out for it. ^^
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-07-09 08:30:53  
While I do not know V2 this month. I would highly recommend just doing V1 VE. Not only do you get more gallantry, but V1 is rather easy month imo; in terms of battle strategies established.

You can form a party for V1 VE with fairly meh geared players with just the right jobs. :p
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-09 08:42:38  
Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
While I do not know V2 this month. I would highly recommend just doing V1 VE. Not only do you get more gallantry, but V1 is rather easy month imo; in terms of battle strategies established.

You can form a party for V1 VE with fairly meh geared players with just the right jobs. :p

This is literally every month, not just this one.
By clearlyamule 2018-07-09 11:06:20  
oh hey this old conversation again
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-09 11:16:41  
Kind of amazing SE is still making V2 fights, when everyone knows V1 is (1) more popular and (2) nets far higher points. Would have only made sense if they were making new V1 fights and recycled the V2 fights (or just swapped them for higher stats and mechanics), but that would be a logical content design, and SE is having none of that.

Quote:
The boss seemed to take reduced damage to the point where WS never broke 2k

V2 is a cracklaw, correct? Have you tried using different weapon types, or creating light/dark skillchains and seeing if it temporarily removes his DT effect? There is a rarely fought NM that is a Cracklaw, with a similar DT effect that is removed via utilizing skillchain damage, alternating light/darkness. I wouldn't be surprised if SE revived this shitty NM gimmick for V2, seeing as how nobody bothered to fight him anyways. Wouldn't be difficult to just copy/paste him into Ambuscade.

Test and see if that works.

Thread for discussion here.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jaqbauer
user: jaqbauer
By Quetzalcoatl.Jaqbauer 2018-07-09 12:11:55  
Thanks for the feedback. We’ll look into various damage types and elements when we try again. And we’d certianly prefer to do V1. But we’re a small group of recently returned players who lack job diversity. We have no buffers or crowd control yet. While we’re working towards that, we’re casual and have no idea when we’ll achieve it. We did clear V1 VE this month, but it took close to 10 minutes so we thought we’d try V2 to see if it was any faster.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-09 12:19:41  
You don't need buffers or crowd control or a tank

Your points per run will be lower to do V1VE but your points per hour will be dramatically higher just doing 10 minute V1VE

V2 for any and all purposes is a waste of time
By kestiel 2018-07-09 12:33:36  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
You don't need buffers or crowd control or a tank

Your points per run will be lower to do V1VE but your points per hour will be dramatically higher just doing 10 minute V1VE

V2 for any and all purposes is a waste of time

I get what you're saying, but some people have a hard time constantly getting the KIs and repeating it, so they do both V2 & V1 to avoid the somewhat constant BST/SMN/BLUs that run into groups of mobs and AOE them all down.

Granted, I agree that V1 is better pts per time invested, it's sometimes more stressful for some groups/returners to do compared to the (general) ease of V2.
 Phoenix.Ueauvan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Ueauvan
By Phoenix.Ueauvan 2018-07-09 12:44:42  
so because of my other half's illness i do ambu when i can, i grind through v2 with trusts because i dont worry if i have to see to gf and lose hence i do with trusts
i did v2 last month with trusts on ve and i was happy with that. my usual party is apururu, arciela II, august or amchuchu, shantoto II, iroha II and me as dnc/war. i have 250 odd jps and last month v2 was grind. this month im failing after clearing the adds on the boss and his spikes, by the time i realised he had spikes i went splat. dunno how to neutralise that. im confident on playing nin or dnc only.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-07-09 12:57:27  
Phoenix.Ueauvan said: »
this month im failing after clearing the adds on the boss and his spikes, by the time i realised he had spikes i went splat. dunno how to neutralise that. im confident on playing nin or dnc only.

The boss has damage spikes (and a major evasion boost) while it has Garuda out. Take the avatar out first, then melee the boss down. It'll resummon, but it's not an instant thing. As soon as you see the animation start, damage off (just turn around or whatever). Swap targets back to Garuda and take it out again, then back to the Yagudo.
 Phoenix.Ueauvan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Ueauvan
By Phoenix.Ueauvan 2018-07-09 13:00:05  
thanks i must have missed the avatar
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2018-07-09 13:02:03  
It doesn't have it out initially, but it'll summon after you do any damage to it (at least). So, be prepared to immediately turn/swap targets after engaging, if it's not already out.
 Ragnarok.Alahra
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2018-07-09 13:51:05  
I haven't found a consistent way to reduce the boss's damage resistance so far. Piercing, Blunt, and Slashing damage all seem to be reduced, as does magic damage.

The adds it summons seem to be based on the proportion of damage types you're dealing, though. If you've done mostly physical damage for the first one, it seems to summon the Vanguard Crab (which is weak to magical damage). If you've done mostly magical damage, it seems to summon the courier-type crab (which is weak to physical damage). A seemingly even split produces a Guardian Crab instead (which as far as I can tell doesn't have any weaknesses).

I have noticed that after killing the courier-type crab (which normally comes up second in my runs), the craklaw seems to take increased physical damage to some degree, but I haven't found a way to get it any earlier than that.
By Fahzewn 2018-07-10 06:29:56  
After reading Alahra's post I tried to pay attention to the fight more.

I generally found the same results. Kill the Vanguard Crab and the boss takes more magic damage (though still low) and kill the Courier crab the boss takes more physical damage (again, still low). This was from Normal difficulty which pops two adds, I'll assume that VE or E has only one add. Not sure if it builds resistance again over time but wouldn't be surprised.
[+]
By kestiel 2018-07-10 10:02:22  
Phoenix.Ueauvan said: »
so because of my other half's illness i do ambu when i can, i grind through v2 with trusts because i dont worry if i have to see to gf and lose hence i do with trusts
i did v2 last month with trusts on ve and i was happy with that. my usual party is apururu, arciela II, august or amchuchu, shantoto II, iroha II and me as dnc/war. i have 250 odd jps and last month v2 was grind. this month im failing after clearing the adds on the boss and his spikes, by the time i realised he had spikes i went splat. dunno how to neutralise that. im confident on playing nin or dnc only.

It sounds like you're talking about V1 (the Yagudo) not V2 (the craklaw, and subject of this thread). Unless of course the crab does some spikes effect which I haven't seen yet.

The freshly picked did some sorta joke about "boiling crabs" so maybe there's something to dealing fire/fusion/liquefaction damage.
By clearlyamule 2018-07-10 11:13:09  
I tried the crabs doing a constant stream of liquefaction-> fusion -> gravitation and yeah dmg on adds was always terrible and dmg on main went from bad to even worse when add was out. idk this month unless it has a huge exploit and someone has it I'd say VE v1 might actually be an easier fight
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-10 11:16:36  
All the things in regard to "boiled crab" were likely about how the ROE for ANV was "fusion on crabs"

At least, that was my take away.

clearlyamule said: »
I'd say VE v1 might actually be an easier fight

I mean, yeah
By clearlyamule 2018-07-10 11:37:56  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
clearlyamule said: »
I'd say VE v1 might actually be an easier fight

I mean, yeah
Yeah but you say that every month even before update is live :p
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-10 11:58:07  
.... Cause it's always true? It's just quite obviously true this time

Like, genuinely want (all peoples) to get their grind done, faster, and more efficient. Something about weakest link, and rising tide raises all boats etc.
By clearlyamule 2018-07-10 12:02:25  
That's certainly 1 possibility...

Anyone try any forms of fixed dmg for better testing?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-07-10 12:04:24  
Because every month, it's literally always the case. No fortune-telling necessary. V2 mechanics are some shitty nonsense, and V1 VE is always a watered down version of a strat that is found out in 2 hours flat. Nobody is finding the V2 exploit because it's honestly a waste of time. There has barely been a V1VE to date that was not easier to do or farm than a Normal V2.

I hate changing the topic from "Do V1 instead of V2" when the OP specifically asked about V2 though. However, this game is all about doing what is "Easier" for "better" net results over time. There is no glory or honor for figuring out the V2 exploit unless it comes with a substantial increase in hm/gal per hour, and that's never been the case once.

Back on topic: did you try using magical weaponskills with malaise etc? Is there an aura you aren't seeing that causes the DT effect? Tried separating the adds? Magic Bursting element the add is weak to and see if a message appears? Just giving gimmick suggestions if you're dead set on doing V2.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-10 12:09:26  
They clearly want you to use Twilight Scythe and Murasamemaru

Enspell damage to keep things "balanced"
By kestiel 2018-07-11 15:28:39  
So for all those people saying V1 is the way to go, how do you do it if you lack a job or access to times when people group up to AOE sleep?

I've only gone in a couple times but each time hate is tenuous, and they just seem to go ream out the backline, or if I manage to survive to get only the conjurer down, it randomly does some 1.5k+ WS when garuda isn't up that destroys trusts.

While it takes ages, I can do the V2 for the same rewards as V1 VE which I can't seem to do. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but it's a reason I sometimes have to do V2.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-07-11 15:44:23  
Ideally.... you don't bother soloing. Aside from V2 (and V1VE) being a total waste of time (for everyone, yes, even undergeared people).

if you INSIST on doing ***the hard way. use ninjas. LionII Gessho AAHM and AOE healers ArcielaI IrohaII Selh'teus

and/or be your own sleeper and/or use pet job