Stolen Instruments In Houston, TX Area

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Stolen Instruments in Houston, TX area
Stolen Instruments in Houston, TX area
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 09:33:40  
This may seem very insignificant for some, but the victim is a lifelong mentor and friend of mine, one of the nation's top Orchestral Clarinetists who has played in Pittsburgh, New York, Denver, and Houston Symphonies, and who's iconic sound has been a life's journey of trials and mistakes, only to find the two instruments that matched his playing and internal sound goals after over 20 years of testing.

If you have ANY information, and ANYWHERE across the country as these will be highly valuable, I will gladly put you in touch with the original owner. Exceedingly large reward will be provided for the actual instruments by both the owner and his orchestra.

---ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW---

" I have the ultimate violation today when my Clarinets were stolen out of my car. It was a 20 year pursuit to find the sound that I had been seeking including two Charles Chedeville Mouthpieces, two gold Momotake ligatures, an actual Jacobi Bb barrel, a fantastic Moennig A barrel made great by none other than Mark Jacobi, the best Buffet R13 A clarinet (ser #583110) I have ever played, and my brand new R13 Prestige Bb (ser #716528) all wrapped up in a Buffet Legende double pouchette case and in a Tumi backpack. I hope they don’t end up in a trash can. If pawned, I feel quite comfortable that I will get them back one day.
I guess the main lesson to be learned is to not leave your clarinets unattended even for 5 minutes. Obviously if you are approached to purchase these, I plead with you to pay what you need to pay and I’ll buy them from you. I have attached photos of the type of backpack, case and color scheme.
Thanks to all of my FB friends for keeping their eyes and ears open on my behalf!
With Sincere Appreciation,
Mark Nuccio"

http://www.marknuccio.com
[+]
By Aerison 2020-01-29 10:39:53  
Don't leave things in your car that you won't mind losing, hard lesson to learn and one I've learned the hard way.

Hope your friends gets his instruments back.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 10:47:50  
Aerison said: »
Don't leave things in your car that you won't mind losing, hard lesson to learn and one I've learned the hard way.

Hope your friends gets his instruments back.

It is- and its a sad way to have to learn it. For those of you not familiar w/ the process that a professional woodwind player goes through to find that "perfect sound", here's what Mr. Nuccio did to get his two clarinets he currently uses:

-His mouthpieces are French made in the 1930s, then hand cut/finished by a technician in Germany who was trained in the original factory that made them.

-His barrels were made by the leading clarinet repair technician in the United States in the 1960s in philadelphia. There were fewer than 100 made in Mr. Jacobi's career, and less than 50 remain in playing condition.

-His ligatures are 24k gold made in Japan. I know personally that he has tried over 300 different ligatures from over 60 makers to match his mouthpieces.

-It took over 15 years and close to 1000 total clarinets tried and tested before he found the two mentioned above.

It was around 4 years ago that he finally was "happy" with the setup he had. This is a multiple Grammy winning musician, who has played with 4 major symphonies in this country, and has recording credits for over 30 movies. His life work is his sound. And I was shocked to hear of this news, knowing how paranoid he has always been about his instruments, lovingly known has "his sons"- he has daughters, so he joked that the only sons he had were his clarinets. But so much can change in an instant, even in broad daylight in a locked car.

Someone clearly knew what he had in terms of value (the true value of these two instrument setups is well over $30,000USD) and had been watching him, waiting for an opportunity.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 11:30:09  
Translation to FFXI player language:

A Full RMEA Bard was riding the Airship between Windurst and Jeuno this morning, and went to the bar to grab a Yagudo Drink. While there, some dirty Galka stole his Gjallarhorn and Marsyas. Any assistance in location is appreciated.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-01-29 11:42:03  
I have dyslexia so I thought this thread was about someone stealing a Texas instrument calculator.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-01-29 11:43:41  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
This may seem very insignificant for some, but the victim is a lifelong mentor and friend of mine, one of the nation's top Orchestral Clarinetists who has played in Pittsburgh, New York, Denver, and Houston Symphonies, and who's iconic sound has been a life's journey of trials and mistakes, only to find the two instruments that matched his playing and internal sound goals after over 20 years of testing.

If you have ANY information, and ANYWHERE across the country as these will be highly valuable, I will gladly put you in touch with the original owner. Exceedingly large reward will be provided for the actual instruments by both the owner and his orchestra.

---ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW---

" I have the ultimate violation today when my Clarinets were stolen out of my car. It was a 20 year pursuit to find the sound that I had been seeking including two Charles Chedeville Mouthpieces, two gold Momotake ligatures, an actual Jacobi Bb barrel, a fantastic Moennig A barrel made great by none other than Mark Jacobi, the best Buffet R13 A clarinet (ser #583110) I have ever played, and my brand new R13 Prestige Bb (ser #716528) all wrapped up in a Buffet Legende double pouchette case and in a Tumi backpack. I hope they don’t end up in a trash can. If pawned, I feel quite comfortable that I will get them back one day.
I guess the main lesson to be learned is to not leave your clarinets unattended even for 5 minutes. Obviously if you are approached to purchase these, I plead with you to pay what you need to pay and I’ll buy them from you. I have attached photos of the type of backpack, case and color scheme.
Thanks to all of my FB friends for keeping their eyes and ears open on my behalf!
With Sincere Appreciation,
Mark Nuccio"

http://www.marknuccio.com

I hope they get that Ti-84 clarinet back !
 Bahamut.Minimuse
user: grumpette
By Bahamut.Minimuse 2020-01-29 11:56:11  
I hope your friend gets his instruments back in good condition. Even if he had insurance, such a loss of equipment is nigh irreplaceable and heartbreaking.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 12:03:46  
Bahamut.Minimuse said: »
I hope your friend gets his instruments back in good condition. Even if he had insurance, such a loss of equipment is nigh irreplaceable and heartbreaking.

He definitely has insurance for the financial value of the instruments. The problem is that re-creating his setup is impossible.

-both clarinets are no longer in production with the exact bore dimensions, materials used, and craftsmanship. Modern equivalents produce different sound due to those variances in bore, age of the wood, and skill of the hand-drilled/bored tone holes.

-NO ONE sells jacobi barrels any more. So few were created, and the only ones still in playable condition are all accounted for with professional players or collectors...they aren't for sale.

-His mouthpieces were a lifelong journey of first finding the model he wanted, then getting them adjusted by hand scraping by an original technician at the making factory. That factory hasn't been operational for almost 40 years, and the technician who modified his passed away about 12 years ago.

This is why I am going to such great lengths as to advertise this even on a gaming forum. Yes, financially it's only about as much as an average SUV....but unlike that SUV you can't just walk down to a dealer with the insurance check and replace them.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 12:15:43  
kireek said: »
Chances are it was probably sold for $20 for drugs or booze and the people that sold them will never see this or even remember they stole them if they do. It was just one of many things they stole and sold that day to get high.

That's one of the biggest fears. The two most likely scenarios (based on what fellow musicians have experienced....instrument thefts are on the RISE, regardless of value or type of instrument) is that it either was a crime of pure opportunity and was liquidated for easy cash fast, wish no knowledge of their real value; or someone had been watching him for a chance, knowing EXACTLY what they were taking and did so for personal benefit as a fellow musician. ><

If it was stolen without knowledge and pawned, it likely will eventually be found. Not guaranteed, but it does make things simpler. If it was stolen and then quickly sold on something like Craigslist (Ebay,etc will be harder and slower...someone who doesn't know what they have probably isn't taking the time to do that), it would be harder, we only hope that it is bought by someone who will know to at least do a serial number check.

If it was stolen by an educated thief in terms of the true value...it either will be found almost immediately due to foolish attempts to sell it openly (no way orchestral instruments of this value ever sell at their true value without plenty of attention....and that attention is a SMALL group of people who mostly are all connected), or it will NEVER be found because it will be kept by the thief who is a musician, or sold privately to someone with no ethics and knows they're getting stolen goods.

That last scenario is the saddest. We like to consider the world of orchestral music as a family- yes, we audition against each other, compete for work, compete for audiences...but we've all been on the journey for decades, that private journey in the practice room, that group journey of growth through performance and audition. But we take care of each other. To think someone could be part of that community, that FAMILY, and live with themselves after something like this....its heartbreaking.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 12:37:36  
kireek said: »
If it was mine I would check all the pawn shops in a 10 mile radius and see if you could find them there to buy back, I think that would be the most common place to get rid of them for easy cash.

The serial numbers and pictures have been provided to over 400 of his colleagues and friends within 1 hour of the incident. From there, it now has reached over 4000 students, professionals, and consigners. Every pawn shop in the Houston Metro area has photos of the case, serial numbers, and other unique markings. Ebay and local region Craigslist has been alerted, along with of course local law enforcement.

And again, both Mr. Nuccio and the Houston Symphony have personally guaranteed to cover ANY costs to purchase the stolen instruments as well as a hefty reward for the return of any or all aspects of the instruments. Its very likely that a "smart" thief will try and sell these piecemeal rather than bundled due to the uniqueness of the setups, case, and combination of the instruments. We can always hope for stupid thieves, but these days instrument theft is getting a lot more sophisticated.
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-01-29 14:26:35  
Let's send an ff11 mob squad and go door to door in houston.

Joking aside. I hope the *** gets caught and the instruments get returned. When a musician loses an instrument it is soul crushing. I am no musician, but I can understand that level of loss.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nikkije
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-01-29 15:54:13  

A Full RMEA Bard was riding the Airship between Windurst and Jeuno this morning, and went to the bar to grab a Yagudo Drink. While there, some dirty Galka stole his Gjallarhorn and Marsyas. Any assistance in location is appreciated.

Even though this topic is nothing to laugh at, and I'm a multi-instrumentalist myself and would be devastated if someone snagged any of my gear, I still appreciate your sense of humor, Cele. Hey at least they didnt take the Daurdabla too!
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-29 16:06:11  
Bahamut.Nikkije said: »

Even though this topic is nothing to laugh at, and I'm a multi-instrumentalist myself and would be devastated if someone snagged any of my gear, I still appreciate your sense of humor, Cele. Hey at least they didnt take the Daurdabla too!

I took the suggestion from Eloc on leviathan in a message on Discord. All credit and blame goes to him :)
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-31 08:56:40  
****UPDATE*****

Due to the TILE hidden in one of his backpack pockets, the cases were located last night. Sadly, anything instrument related (the mouthpieces, barrels, instruments, ligatures) had been completely removed, and all non-instrument contents had been dumped into a rainwater filled barrel (the cases were found in a municipal park).

Its far from the solution we all want for Mr. Nuccio, but the good news is that it does gives authorities a start. Surveillance video from stores next to the park are being pulled to hopefully see a car or person dispose of the cases, as well as seeking other leads in the area. Thankfully, the Houston authorities are giving this the respect that it deserves beyond the dollar value of the instruments, and are looking at this the same way they look at artwork stolen.

Again, any information that you may have regarding the instruments themselves (serial numbers and basic description in 1st post) that leads to the recovery of the instruments will be rewarded by both Mr. Nuccio and the Houston Symphony. PM any possible info to me, and I will get you in touch with them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-02-10 18:43:12  
another update. This time, direct post from Mr. Nuccio:

"Thanks to Francois Kloc, Jordan Olinsky, Magali Marie Tricoche, Matt Vance, and all the wonderful people behind the scenes at Buffet Crampon USA, I made my first steps to recovering my sound and career. Today I found a wonderful R13 Prestige Bb that might, one day, be as good as the Bb clarinet that was taken from me on January 28.

I would love for you all to post the following pictures on your FB pages showing what is yet to be found. The case, a Buffet Legende, is very recognizable, the clarinets are as follows: a Bb R13 Prestige #716528, and the A Clarinet, an R13 #583110, two Gold ligatures made by Momotake, two Charles Chedeville mouthpieces and three barrels including an actual Jacobi Barrel and two Moennig barrels.

The case is VERY recognizable and the instruments have serial numbers listed above. Could you post/share this on your Facebook as well as search your Nextdoor, OfferUp, LetGo, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace and evening pawnshops, if you have time? I am offering a reward of $1000. I am very active with this in Houston but welcome any help in and out of Houston. These will be difficult to sell the more we get this out there. I am not looking to press charges but rather get my musical life and sound back.

This is a HUGE violation to what we do as artists and I would very much appreciate any SHARES as well as searching around the country. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. Again, the backpack was found in a trash can but what we are looking for is this case with the aforementioned contents. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!"

Essentially Buffet Crampon (the french manufacturer of his Clarinets for which he is a sponsored Artist) provided him with two Clarinets free of charge to replace the stolen ones while the search continues. They also ordered two of his gold ligatures that he loves so much, as well as were able to find an actual Jacobi barrel- there are so few of those in the world current belief is one of the few owners worldwide got word of this and DONATED it to Mr. Nuccio.

He's able to play again with a similar setup until hopefully his original setups are found. Again, if you can be of any help, the more people worldwide who know this story the better. The fact that they haven't been found yet means the thief is somewhat educated regarding the uniqueness and value, making location even harder. So we're all doing our part to spread the word. Thanks as always for reading and any help possible!
By Lilllith 2020-02-10 21:33:35  
Can i recommend him an alternative, the Gjallerhorn? it will give him +4 to all his songs.
[+]