users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Low Level SAM gear/advice
Low Level SAM gear/advice
 Fairy.Deliverance
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-19 15:34:25  
Well, new to the game /sort of/

As soon as I 75 BST (67/75) I am going to take up SAM.

I have been preparing, but would like some suggestions.

I've already received advice...on merits and such when I get to 75. My main concern is knowing what gear to use, and what build... SAMs can take. BST is a lot easier in figuring that out really.

So. Here is what I have farmed.

I have... as far as rare/ex gear.

The level 10 GK that comes off of Carnero (My SAM is level 9).

I have Bounding Boots, Empress Hairpin, Ochimusha Kote...

I am working on farming the 3% haste boots in Castle Ostraja.

I was just looking for some suggestions on subjobs...and a bit more advice on gear.

Please, and Thank you.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 15:47:53  
More than anything, I suggest you get a Soboro.

Sadly, BST is not a very useful job for that so finding a run will be even harder than for other jobs.

Nevertheless, it's worth the trouble. Took me two weeks to get mine and I'd gladly do it again.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-19 15:50:44  
That's the level 50 GK, chance of attacking 2-3 times, right?

Yes I'm working on getting access there.

I'm sure I could get my friends to help :P.
 Leviathan.Webjester
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-10-19 15:52:11  
For Gear, you'll go through a ton of different gear taking Samurai up. I would recommend spending some time using the Advanced Search Option and just browsing through the equipment that becomes available for Samurai.

For sub jobs in the party environment there's the Must have:

/NIN - Standard Party setup, you'll likely be asked to /nin
/WAR - Tank supremely confident? /war
/THF - Not really as useful in party situations as the other two, but you'll need it for end game.

And the "Cool Factor" Subs:

/DRG - Jump and High Jump are really nice for quick TP. ACC/ATK bonus are nice too.
/RNG - Very Gear Heavy. Don't attempt until 57 (55 with merits), and even then only if you have a soboro and supporting RACC gear for sidewinder.
/DNC - Nice solo sub job. Great in Campaigns. Tons and TONS of fun with a Soboro.

Hope this helps, and have fun leveling Samurai!
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 15:53:17  
If you can get that, everything else should fall into place. That's probably the hardest rare/ex item to get for SAM until 70s at least.

And you'll still get a LOT of use out of it even at 75 so it's far from a waste of time.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-19 15:54:51  
Thanks very much for all the help so far, everyone is awesome.
 Odin.Ahligieri
サーバ: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-10-19 15:55:48  
Level syncing at good camps when you get to Aht Urhgan is going to make soboro pointless. Get one definitely, but skill up and use polearm when you get there.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-19 15:58:30  
Would it be wise, to skill up on Polearm on WAR for now, just to have it "up there"? My WAR is 51 (Yes I know it's not very high level) but, I could skill up polearm to about 140-150.
 Leviathan.Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-10-19 16:00:57  
Deliverance said:
Would it be wise, to skill up on Polearm on WAR for now, just to have it "up there"? My WAR is 51 (Yes I know it's not very high level) but, I could skill up polearm to about 140-150.

Certainly won't hurt. Its challenging to keep GKT capped if you're using a polearm, especially now with level sync and bird camps.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-19 16:01:17  
150 is Penta, if you can get it there you should be fine.

SAM uses Polearm from LV54-65, then again at 75 in parties so yeah, it would be a good idea.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-19 16:03:12  
Alright, so at level 51, where would be a decent place to start getting skill ups... sorry.
I'm assuming somewhere like...Yuhtunga Jungle...for awhile, maybe sea serpent's grotto.
 Leviathan.Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-10-19 16:05:19  
Find some crabs, and beat em up.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-20 06:59:25  
Well I skilled up Polearm a little from 1-50 yesterday. Until I found a party on WAR lol. I like East Ron [S] Ladybug and Colibri camp.

I will skill till I cap Polearm at level 53... so that will take care of SAM for awhile, until I start actually partying with it and skilling it up from there, any other advice?
 Remora.Beltenebros
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Beltenebros 2009-10-20 08:04:01  
>>/NIN - Standard Party setup, you'll likely be asked to /nin
/WAR - Tank supremely confident? /war
/THF - Not really as useful in party situations as the other two, but you'll need it for end game.<<

/NIN is wonderful to have on SAM 74+, but as a general rule if you're asked to /nin in an XP PT, thank the leader for their time and put your flag back up. /nin is useful for SAM, but gimps your damage output too severely to be of anyone's use in a PT situation. Learn how to ride hate lines as /war and your contribution to your PT will be far, far greater than if you use 3 shadows from /nin as a crutch.

Otherwise, your gear looks pretty solid and I don't think you'll have too much trouble advancing along. Skill up Polearm, as others have said, and check out the stickies on the Alla SAM forums- especially those relating to gear choices and equipment guides- and you should be fine.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-20 08:09:30  
Thanks Beltene. I don't really like subbing NIN on even WAR, I'm more interested in subbing SAM, honestly for that. I don't plan on being the tank, as I am already willing to tank on my WAR and my NIN if I wanted to tank I'd xp those up more. I did level WAR from 51-53 fast...last night in that East Ron party.

Thanks for the compliment about the gear. I do have a lot to learn about the hate lines.

Where is a good place to skill up? I know crabs are good. But at level 53, being my highest job that can equip a polearm, I can't just go to, say cape terrigan and run wild. Would Sea Serpent Grotto, or Garlaige Citadel be decent replacements?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-20 08:13:14  
Deliverance said:
I'm more interested in subbing SAM

SAM/SAM? Lol.

And um, /NIN isn't intended to help you DD.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike /NIN as much as anyone else, but in the current state of FFXI, parties tend to go DDx4, BRD, RDM. No tank and one healer means you WILL be getting hit, and you want to reduce damage as much as possible, because RDMs have limited MP.

That being said, you could technically fulltime Seigan with SAM/WAR but you lose Hasso which is more than any sub would give you anyway. Best to just keep Hasso up with /NIN and be more efficient to the party. If your RDM runs out of MP, that means your chain dies instantly and that's exactly what you're NOT going for, so MP management is key.
 Asura.Endelig
サーバ: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-10-20 08:18:24  
Enternius said:
Deliverance said:

SAM/SAM? Lol.

He meant /SAM on WAR.
[+]
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-10-20 08:33:26  
Yeah I meant WAR/SAM...sorry run on sentences are my thing.

So I will be using /NIN a lot then huh?
 Cerberus.Mindi
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-10-20 08:34:22  
Enternius said:
Deliverance said:

SAM/SAM? Lol.

Deliverance said:
I don't really like subbing NIN on even WAR, I'm more interested in subbing SAM, honestly for that.

he talked about war/nin

well my bfriend and me last leveled new job to 75 and he took sam, cant say exactly till what level but i think until polearm use at bird camps, he allways /thf and was working very well.

edit: after that he allways went /war
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-20 08:36:07  
Deliverance said:
I don't really like subbing NIN on even WAR, I'm more interested in subbing SAM, honestly for that.

That was an edit, lol.

And yeah, unless you have a tank, I recommend NIN sub.

Really helps for not getting your food/TP taken away every mob also.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-10-20 08:38:13  
Only time I see a good reason to /nin is if you have a piss poor tank or in a meripo, other then that, stick to the DD subs ( /war, /thf, etc) nothing saddens me more when I see a DD/nin when they have a good solid tank, I cringe everytime I see a DRG/NIN anytime... just ... no.

I will say I do /nin on my sam more then then /war nowadays mainly cause the lackluster tanks I seem to get in parties or since I mainly just meripo on it (unless it's a ls party)
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-10-20 09:28:38  
The gear you stated is already a great start to you're Samurai career, Up until lv50 you're most lethal weapon skill is Tachi: Enpi & Tachi: Jinpu which of course are multiple hit weapon skills so you'll need to use a fair bit of accuracy for them. Lv60 is when you get the first of the big 3 weapon skills.. Tachi: Yukikaze now for this and the other 2 you can stack STR as single hit weapon skills get a massive accuracy boost.

Subjob wise i don't really see the need for /NIN unless you're below lv35 or have a sucky tank, Seigan seems to be underrated but I cannot sing it's praises enough so I'd recommend /WAR for the most part or even /THF as I had some fun with it as both Enpi and Jinpu both stack with Sneak Attack, but of course it's you're judgment on when and when not to SA yourself. (SA Tachi: Enpi > and THF with Viper Bite is probably one of the best combination's at lower levels).

Which comes into another pieces for you're ohshit macro as when you get lv60+ and get Hauby and the like you're going to take hate periodically. Arhat's Gi/Jinpachi are lv64 and offer -10% Physical damage reduction for NQ and a nice 15% for HQ which can and has saved my bacon on numerous occasions, and it is a vital set for you're Samurai's versatility, there are other piece's for this set but they come later on down the line.

Hope this helps.
 Remora.Beltenebros
By Remora.Beltenebros 2009-10-20 10:32:42  
I really don't want to dragoon this thread into a subjob discussion (pun... possibly... intended) but even in a MeritPo there's really no point to subbing /NIN on SAM. In merit parties you should be going /WAR if using polearm and /DRG if using GKT (and have a Wyvern Earring available) /WAR doesn't do as much for WS damage as you might think once you get to the capped +attack bonuses of Gekko, Yuki, and Kasha but that's neither here nor there.

I climbed up to 75 a long time ago on SAM and was only asked to /NIN twice. Once during an abysmal party with a prig of a BRD puller and his gimp PLD friend (easily, one of the worst tanks I've encountered in-game) and the other to a pick up JP MeriPo. I left one party, and declined the other. In MeritPos, you'll find SE & TE more than adequate for dealing with birds (in fact, Third Eye anticipates Pecking Flurry *better* than Utsusemi) and, yes, you will get hit and take damage. Gasp. But then again, that's what healers are for. Unless you're in MJSP, most Merit-level mobs will die in under 30 seconds and the other three DDs should- if of comparable gear/competency- share the load of hits.

Anyway, I said I didn't want to threadjack so in an attempt to get back on course I'll provide you with a link to the (slightly out-of date) gear sticky I was referring to:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=13&mid=119991725962317515&num=41&page=1

Follow the guide, roll out to a party where you're likely to ding with the next level's gear in your inventory and you'll be in great shape.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-20 10:39:57  
If you need to /nin in an party, it's one you don't want to be in to begin with. Every party I go on sam, I always fulltime hasso on /war w/ polearm and never have any problems. That being said, I build my pts myself and handpick the members, as to do so, you need a good party.
 Remora.Beltenebros
By Remora.Beltenebros 2009-10-20 10:53:15  
Vegetto said:
If you need to /nin in an party, it's one you don't want to be in to begin with.

This ^^
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-20 19:23:18  
User submitted image
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-10-20 19:58:36