users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » No disconnect from server 4001 vith VPN
No disconnect from server 4001 vith VPN
 Asura.Karppa
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-26 02:17:44  
Any idea? why my connection is stable now with VPN..without it keep getting 4001 messages random time periodes..it happens even faster when char is idle..This problem occured like 2 weeks ago..my ISP said everything is ok with providers side.., must be in something to do with SE EU servers? did tracert trackin..got 1 timeout msg I'm not network guru so any advice would be nice..
By ksoze 2020-05-26 02:30:21  
Do you use a wifi or cable connection to your router.
I would suggest cable if not.

The rest is pure magic
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-26 04:55:31  
Using cable.. same problems occurs another Finnish player as well and we have same ISP too.. as like me.. we haven't changed nothing in our end..done pretty much most of things which I have been read from ffxi forums.. at least it works with VPN but.. pings pretty bad when using it..sended mail to SE support..I hope they could fix this if it is EU game server prob....
 Asura.Lobbi
user: Lobby
By Asura.Lobbi 2020-05-26 06:06:40  
Which vpn are you using?
By Shichishito 2020-05-26 07:20:22  
i got A LOT of 4001 during free campaign, once i've seen the campaign ended thread and i still could log in for a couple of hours i didn't get a single 4001 until they disabled my char for free campaign too. i couldn't stay online even 1/4th as long the entire 2 weeks befor that. worst were the last hour befor i had a free ride till campaign end. got a disconnected within every 1-10 minutes of logging back in.

when did you start using the VPN?
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-26 08:15:39  
You seem to be under the assumption that they have EU based servers... they dont, they are all in Japan. What is most likely happening since you are fine when you are using a VPN your connection is being routed through a faulty or high traffic node which SE can do jack all about.

Asura.Karppa said: »
did tracert trackin..got 1 timeout msg

That trace records the nodes between you and the servers and you got a time out message at one of the nodes between you and the XI servers in japan.

Only real fixes to this is either go with a different ISP and hope they route you another way or keep using a VPN to bypass that node.
By Shichishito 2020-05-26 08:54:39  
but how does that explain the heavy DC during free campaign vs no DC once free campaign ended for most other players?
By missdivine 2020-05-26 08:57:12  
I get that a lot . Asura is too crowded
By Shichishito 2020-05-26 09:00:35  
is there a reliable way to test connection to the server without resubbing?
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-26 19:25:16  
Asura.Lobbi said: »
Which vpn are you using?

F-secure Freedom not free software..you need to buy it..ofc there is free 30 day period..if u want test it?
By Draylo 2020-05-26 19:26:03  
missdivine said: »

But the game had 5k people on regularly back in the day, unless they downgraded their servers
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-26 19:30:12  
Odin.Creaucent said: »
You seem to be under the assumption that they have EU based servers... they dont, they are all in Japan. What is most likely happening since you are fine when you are using a VPN your connection is being routed through a faulty or high traffic node which SE can do jack all about.

did tracert trackin..got 1 timeout msg

That trace records the nodes between you and the servers and you got a time out message at one of the nodes between you and the XI servers in japan.

Only real fixes to this is either go with a different ISP and hope they route you another way or keep using a VPN to bypass that node.

Or just buy different/better router? if it isp I wonder what have they done..never needed to use VPN before..and sry for late response was at work..
 Asura.Darviss
By Asura.Darviss 2020-05-26 19:31:51  
It's a nightmare if you're multiboxing in any capacity. It's been notably worse during this free campaign, but it was still fairly frequent before too.
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-05-26 19:38:23  
I had the same experience at a co-op I used to live in. FFXI was unplayable unless I used a VPN.

My guess is it probably has to do with how FFXI handles packet loss. If FFXI drops a packet, the server doesn't go "oh ***let me resend it for you bro." but your VPN does.

Same thing happened when I tried to SSH into an old cluster. When I was getting crazy packet drop I would get kicked off, but not if I was using a VPN.

Glad I don't live there anymore.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-26 19:53:01  
missdivine said: »

These servers used to handle more than the number of current players on Asura. It floats around 4,500 even after free-to-play ended. The servers used to rock 6~8k players in this game's prime when it was the hot new SquareEnix game. Also, zones have a limit on how many players can simulaneously be in the zone (used to see it a log during Besieged back in the day and you couldn't get into zone). It is currently only possible to hit that number in a zone now during Mieru. Nobody else camps any other zone to number-of-players-in-a-zone cap.

Here is basically exactly what you're going to get from SquareEnix at this time. I know because I had a character stuck in the zoning screen that would crash POL when I picked him at character select screen. I contacted SE customer support and even though I said it was Final Fantasy XI, they mailed me this generic statement about FF14.

SquareEnix said:

The issue you are describing is most associated with interference with the game data. Most of the time, it results from certain security/privacy changes on Internet Explorer. Other times, it occurs when an application running in the background causes interference, such as anti-virus software, firewalls, media players, web browsers, communications software, etc.

Please make sure all background applications (including anti-virus programs such as Norton, Kaspersky, Windows Defender, etc.) have been disabled and/or closed to minimize game interference before attempting to log in.

Ensure that the latest version of Internet Explorer is installed on your PC (even if you don’t use Internet Explorer). Please do not use Microsoft Edge for these steps, as that is a different Internet platform.
Once Internet Explorer is up-to-date, please open the Internet Explorer browser’s “Internet Options” by clicking on the “Tools” option (or type Alt+X), then click on the “Internet options” setting. Please adjust the following settings:

- Under the General tab, please delete ALL browsing history by clicking on the “Delete…” button, then selecting all of the options and clicking “Delete” again.
- Under the Security tab, please move the slider to the lowest possible setting, or no higher than “Medium.”
- Under the Privacy tab, look for the Settings section and click on “Advanced,” then Accept First-party Cookies and Third-party Cookies, then check the box that says, “Always allow session cookies” and click OK.
- Under the Advanced tab, look for the Settings section and scroll towards the bottom of the list and check on the setting under Security for “Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid.”
- Under the same section, make sure that all ‘Use TLS’ options (EXCEPT SSL 3.0) are checked. [Use SSL 3.0 should be unchecked]

Hit “Apply” then “OK” to save the changes.
Please RESTART your PC now.

Once your PC has been restarted, Right-Click the FFXIV launcher icon once more and select “Run as Administrator.” This option can also be set permanently by Right-Clicking on the FFXIV launcher icon, selecting Properties, then under the Compatibility tab, check the box that says “Run this program as an administrator” and clicking OK.

If the suggestions provided above do not resolve the issue, there may be a communication error.

Check the following Port Ranges on your router/modem to ensure that the following Port Ranges have been opened/forwarded/triggered:
▼TCP
54992 through 54994,
55006 through 55007,
55021 through 55040

*You may learn how to do this by visiting http://www.portforward.com/
Find your specific router's brand and model number from the 'List of Routers' and you will be provided a step-by-step guide on how to access these port settings.
Otherwise, your ISP may forward these ports for you.*

If you have properly configured your router, and you are still experiencing these issues, our next suggestion is to bypass the router, and connect your computer directly to your modem. Please ensure that you power down both the modem and the computer for at least five minutes before attempting to connect to FINAL FANTASY XIV.

If you continue to receive these same errors when you are connected directly to the modem, then the problem lies with your ISP. We would recommend contacting your provider and advising them that one or more of the ports previously provided to you are being blocked or filtered, and that you do need access on these ports.

Thank you,
Agent
SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-26 20:06:07  
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Besieged back in the day and you couldn't get into zone).

Lol yea I remember that XD but..but back to my original post..it is not tied to single server..that player also from Finland which I mentioned earlier.. he plays at Ragnarok same problem..same isp..I guess I just keep playing with VPN at least it never dc so far.. and GN clock here 4AM..time to sleep..
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-26 20:20:51  
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Besieged back in the day and you couldn't get into zone).

Lol yea I remember that XD but..but back to my original post..it is not tied to single server..that player also from Finland which I mentioned earlier.. he plays at Ragnarok same problem..same isp..I guess I just keep playing with VPN at least it never dc so far.. and GN clock here 4AM..time to sleep..

They will also be routed through the same node.
 Odin.Barthelby
user: Barthelby
By Odin.Barthelby 2020-05-27 03:04:25  
I have the same problem with error-4001 , error-2059 , disconnect every 25-35min.
I have 2 Accounts running on 2 different PC , the problem started right after the May Version update . And i know one more Person who got the same problem. So i opened a ticket at SE_ Support , got a reply that they working on it and if the problem is solved i should reply them on the mail i received .
The Problem is solved for the Account i made the ticket , but not for the other Account (so i opened a second ticket with that Account).

Before i opened a ticket i already checked on the solution from the OF , my ports were already forwarded . For each DC i had a port 443 error so i called the support of my ISP , they didnt change anything (blocking ports etc.) and also the routing didnt change.
My guess is that something between Playonline and SE doesnt work like it should after the May version update for some EU Accounts and they are able to fix it on their side.
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-27 03:40:30  
Odin.Barthelby said: »
My guess is that something between Playonline and SE doesnt work like it should after the May version update for some EU Accounts and they are able to fix it on their side.
Yes good point that maybe it..I also sended ticket..SE sended me mail below
This email has been sent to notify you that your ticket was received properly. We appreciate your patience and apologise for the delay in responding to your ticket directly.

If your issue has already been resolved and you are no longer in need of support, the URL below will provide you with a "Cancel Ticket" option to close your open ticket.
So I hope they can fix it..kinda stupid if u have to do all technical stuff like port forwarding..Tried that tho..no luck there..Been using mobile connection 3 years worked fine before so this may update might be biggest reason..
 Asura.Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2020-05-27 04:40:00  
Draylo said: »
But the game had 5k people on regularly back in the day, unless they downgraded their servers

Or maybe hardware is old and cuz corona none ppls to fix it..well this is just speculation.. what do I know..
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-27 06:42:38  
Draylo said: »

Or maybe hardware is old and cuz corona none ppls to fix it..well this is just speculation.. what do I know..

Omg. It has nothing to do with SE you have already told us you got a time out message at one of the nodes during a trace. For anything that needs a stable connection like XI this time out will cause you to DC. If it was indeed something to do with the FFXI servers or PoL you would still DC while using a VPN which you don't.

Like I said before you have 3 options to fix this situation.

1. Change ISP and hope they don't route you the same way.

2. Move country.

3. Use a VPN to bypass the node.

Opening tickets with SE wont do anything other than a generic message since support is down. Faulty nodes are also something that SE cant do anything about.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-05-27 08:59:25  
oh look, another connection issues thread, but hey its not SEs fault...
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-27 09:13:21  
Shichishito said: »
oh look, another connection issues thread, but hey its not SEs fault...

Two completely different issues.

One a heavily populated zone, which yes SE needs to fix stability issues in there, and the other is a faulty node between the player and SE best get our pitchforks out and hunt down SE for this faulty node!!!
By Shichishito 2020-05-27 09:23:56  
there have been reports that the DC problem got better after free campaign was over, how do you explain that without adding SEs servers into the mix?
is everyone magically routet thru the same node till the moment they turn off free campaign?
By Jetackuu 2020-05-27 09:50:02  
"servers used to handle more players" yeah, but at a fraction of the taxing. Trusts are a heavy burden on performance, not to mention larger inventories. A lot of the QOL updates have caused server performance issues, it's blatantly obvious.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-05-27 10:26:00  
Shichishito said: »
there have been reports that the DC problem got better after free campaign was over, how do you explain that without adding SEs servers into the mix?
is everyone magically routet thru the same node till the moment they turn off free campaign?

*** knows but this particular issue in THIS THREAD is a node issue.