フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Shura for TP
Shura for TP
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-22 09:03:29  
Enternius said:

Well, seeing as how we did it RDM/WHM, BRD/WHM, BLM/WHM, SCH/RDM, NIN/DRK, he couldn't really have gotten Stoneskin from, say, a WHM's Solace JA and Cure. I did, however, give him Phalanx, with capped Enhancing Magic and we all know what that does.

Uematsu said:
Whm has a job ability that gives SS with cures. And i can bet with 100% certainty that is how he/she got a 0.

a swing and a miss
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-10-22 09:11:25  
Shadow mantle perhaps? lol
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 09:14:32  
Arg pretty much hitting all the points dead on.
[+]
 Siren.Corrin
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Corrin 2009-10-22 09:24:29  
SCH/RDM did his AOE stoneskin maybe?
To the OP, what everyone has said is pretty much true. Shura Togi isn't
horrible to TP in, but there really are better options for ninja.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 09:29:05  
Statistically, no it isn't. Judgment-wise, it is very horrible to TP in. Cheaper options that are better, and can be used (w/o being gimped) in 60 cap.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 10:31:14  
Vegetto said:
and can be used (w/o being gimped) in 60 cap.

But who honestly gears 75 jobs with that in mind?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 10:33:02  
The main point was costing less and being better, that was just a side thought and additional bonus. Now if you have anything against the main point, I welcome any issues with that.

Edit: To me, it's like the mnk who buys triumph earring (bad Tp choice) when merman's is better and cheaper. Shows lack of "knowing wtf you're doing"
[+]
 Unicorn.Uematsu
user: uematsi
By Unicorn.Uematsu 2009-10-22 10:35:21  
Argettio said:
Enternius said:

Well, seeing as how we did it RDM/WHM, BRD/WHM, BLM/WHM, SCH/RDM, NIN/DRK, he couldn't really have gotten Stoneskin from, say, a WHM's Solace JA and Cure. I did, however, give him Phalanx, with capped Enhancing Magic and we all know what that does.

Uematsu said:
Whm has a job ability that gives SS with cures. And i can bet with 100% certainty that is how he/she got a 0.

a swing and a miss

LOL well so far this morning im 0/3. 0/2 from the thread and 0/1 for spilling my coffee on my facorite skirt.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 10:36:10  
Vegetto said:
The main point was costing less and being better, that was just a side thought and additional bonus. Now if you have anything against the main point, I welcome any issues with that.

Right. Then your post could've been:

Vegetto said:
Statistically, no it isn't. Judgment-wise, it is very horrible to TP in. Cheaper options that are better

Because gearing for 60 cap is irrelevant to the point.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 10:40:15  
Vegetto said:
Edit: To me, it's like the mnk who buys triumph earring (bad Tp choice) when merman's is better and cheaper. Shows lack of "knowing wtf you're doing"

Somebody who's a MNK main and just got NIN to 75, who already has a Shura Togi for their MNK, would be better off using the Togi rather than a Haubergeon. Whether or not that Haubergeon is statistically a better piece, it might not be the most economic if they already have Shura Togi for another job.

To attribute this point to your post, I would probably use a Triumph Earring on Monk because I have two of them from RNG / COR.
 Unicorn.Alarin
user: Alar
By Unicorn.Alarin 2009-10-22 10:45:06  
My nin hardly gets used nowadays, but over time its gathered up some decent options for body pieces. Right now I have Shura, Hauby, Enkidu's Harnees, Koga body, and AF body (no +1 cause temenos item never drops).

If you had to rank these for tping in situations where you would be eating meat (i.e acc not a problem) what order would you rank these in?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 10:46:19  
But, haub isn't lv 73 like shura is, the nin should already have a haub at that point and shouldn't sell one beause they have a togi for their monk. Hauby is very cheap these days anyways, and it's not rare/ex so you could always sell it back at any point.

even if you have 2 triumph earrings, I don't see any reason to use them on mnk, as there are better options that run less than 20k and if you're not willing to go out and farm 20k for a job, I don't see why you'd want to play it to begin with.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 10:46:58  
Alarin said:
My nin hardly gets used nowadays, but over time its gathered up some decent options for body pieces. Right now I have Shura, Hauby, Enkidu's Harnees, Koga body, and AF body (no +1 cause temenos item never drops).

If you had to rank these for tping in situations where you would be eating meat (i.e acc not a problem) what order would you rank these in?

AF > Hauby > Enkidu > Koga > Shura

If acc is an issue, the ranks would change.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-22 10:47:17  
NIN AF > all if you have capped ACC, no matter what. That's the equivalent of 5% Haste (not counting the TP reduction associated with Dual Wield), which is not only good for NIN, but would be a dream item for any melee job in the game.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 10:49:59  
It's only an equiv to 5% haste when your haste = your dual wield. You have 30% haste and 30% DW, then 5% DW would increase your attack speed the same amount as 5% haste. If your base haste is 50% for example (haste marches gear ect) then 5% DW is going to increase your attack speed less than adding another 5% haste would
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 10:51:39  
Vegetto said:
But, haub isn't lv 73 like shura is, the nin should already have a haub at that point and shouldn't sell one beause they have a togi for their monk. Hauby is very cheap these days anyways, and it's not rare/ex so you could always sell it back at any point.

even if you have 2 triumph earrings, I don't see any reason to use them on mnk, as there are better options that run less than 20k and if you're not willing to go out and farm 20k for a job, I don't see why you'd want to play it to begin with.

True, but then they might have a Scorpion Harness from when they were levelling Monk and use that instead. As for not farming 20k, putting words in my mouth there. That's not the point I raised whatsoever.
 Unicorn.Alarin
user: Alar
By Unicorn.Alarin 2009-10-22 10:52:46  
Thanks, I've just been lazy lately and only using enkidu since it just looks awesome with my denali head and usu legs. Plus less gear to pull out of storage since I can mostly gear like mnk for the things I do play nin on.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 10:53:56  
I didn't put any words in your mouth, using triumph implies that you aren't going to buy another earring. The earring in question that I'm saying is better only costs 15k.

As for using SH from mnk, grasping for straws. Next thing we're going to be using okote from mnk instead of buying dusk gloves.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 10:56:47  
Vegetto said:
As for using SH from mnk, grasping for straws. Next thing we're going to be using okote from mnk instead of buying dusk gloves.

I know you're a good player and understand the game very well from your posts... But I'm starting to get tired of this "You must use this, or you suck" attitude. There is no "right" way to do things, and when the difference is marginal, there really is no need for that kind of attitude.

If somebody has a piece of equipment lying around that suffices just as well as another, for what reason should they not use it? Because it's "wrong" or "gimp"? We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Edit: Oops, missed this bit:

Vegetto said:
I didn't put any words in your mouth, using triumph implies that you aren't going to buy another earring. The earring in question that I'm saying is better only costs 15k.

It implies no such thing. It certainly doesn't imply I'm too lazy to go farm 20k; so yes, you did put words in my mouth because I never said them.

Although in all honesty, I don't know much about Monk. Was merely bringing up the example that somebody might have a similar piece of equipment lying around.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-22 11:04:28  
Sh vs Haub is a bit more than a marginal improvement, don't see how your argument is valid. Now if you were saying Enkidu vs haub, haub would be a marginal improvement to that.

Ok, "I'd use triumph on mnk" How does this not imply that you'd use another earring instead? You said yourself you'd use it and i was pointing out that it would be silly to do so, as there is a better piece, which costs less than 20k (14k on my server)
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 11:07:57  
Vegetto said:
I don't see any reason to use them on mnk, as there are better options that run less than 20k and if you're not willing to go out and farm 20k for a job, I don't see why you'd want to play it to begin with.

Referring to that paragraph. I simply said I would use a Triumph because I already had one. I don't see anywhere in that sentence that says I'm not willing to go and farm 20k. As said in my previous post, I don't know much about Monk. I don't have plans on levelling it anytime soon so I haven't done much resarch on gear choices.

But the point is a general point, not specifically limited to this example. If somebody has a piece of equipment from another job that acts well enough in the newer pieces absence, then there is no harm in using it. It's your attitude that people are in the wrong for using it that bothers me.

As for SH Vs. Haub, we could discuss it all day long, but we already know we disagree on the use of Evasion on Ninja, so let's not re-invent the wheel and debate that again.
 Pandemonium.Natasdrol
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Natasdrol 2009-10-22 16:05:58  
*note to self*

if you have a question to ask on forums. make sure you ask about everything other than what your question is to get the answer. k thanks
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-22 18:32:42  
Just these forums.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-10-22 18:54:57  
*head explodes*
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-22 18:57:19  
Bshizzle said:
*head explodes*

It's pretty disappointing that after three pages of food for thought on your topic, with some pretty intellectual debate from both sides, that this is your response. =\
[+]
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-10-22 23:55:59  
Actually it's not considering no one has actually compared koga chainmail to shura togi which was the original question.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-23 00:02:33  
Koga wins if you don't cap accuracy with Shura. Shura wins if you cap accuracy either way.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-10-23 00:16:12  
Why would anyone compare those 2 pieces of gear? Bottom line is they are both poor choices for NIN when there is better gear avaliable at a lower level for very little cost.

Koga and Shura are nothing more than town gear for NIN.

Buy a Haub.

Case closed.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-10-23 02:43:55  
They're viable options, but inferior. Stop comparing crap to crap +1.

AF body if accuracy is capped or close, Haub if it's not. *pounds it into your head again*

If you don't want to use either of those options because you don't "like them", or don't like their appearance, either .dat swap or don't ask for advice on which method you should use to suck.
[+]