Windower Crashes When Another Program Launches

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Windower » General » Windower crashes when another program launches
Windower crashes when another program launches
By RadialArcana 2021-03-13 08:54:18  
I had an issue for along time where the game would sometimes crash out of nowhere, all instances.

It turned out to be a another game with its own launcher, checking for updates (only recently found this out and turned off auto checking for updates). Why would windower crash out because of that and is there a way around it?
 Asura.Aeonova
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-13 11:31:49  
RadialArcana said: »
Why would windower crash out
It turned out to be a another game with its own launcher, checking for updates

is there a way around it?
turned off auto checking for updates

By RadialArcana 2021-03-13 11:34:24  
Point is, we should not have to do that. I don't get why windowed FFXI would crash just because another program started up to check if an update was available. Firewalls would probably crash it too if they spawned a popup if that's the case.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-13 11:37:57  
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-13 11:41:26  
Point is, we should not have to do that. I don't get why windowed FFXI would crash just because another program started up to check if an update was available. Firewalls would probably crash it too if they spawned a popup if that's the case.

Sounds like Epic Games launcher tbh. I've had that launcher pop up out of nowhere and all my instances of ffxi close. Yet to find a reason as to why and a fix.
By RadialArcana 2021-03-13 12:27:36  
FFXI is one of the very few games you can play where anything checking for updates in the background can crash it out, I could understand it if it was vanilla but if you have windower running it should not happen.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-13 12:44:35  
I'm not a tech guy, but this does bring to mind the word "ports". Perhaps the program trying to update is clogging up or closing off the ones used by Windower.

Is it the slow trickle R0 crash, the quick crash still in FFXI, or a crash closing all of Windower out entirely? If it was the slow trickle R0 these is maybe you need something that would allocate your updating game program to ports somewhere else.

Again, not a tech guy, but these are just vague generic trouble-shooting thoughts and feelings.

By RadialArcana 2021-03-13 12:52:54  
Straight crash of all instances right away.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-13 12:58:19  
Drat. I was hoping to help. Looks like all I came up with is one big goose egg.

By LightningHelix 2021-03-13 14:02:30  
Firewalls would probably crash it too if they spawned a popup if that's the case.
So this sentence makes it look like there's a popup opening. Could that popup be messing with your screen resolution? Cause that's a known way to crash windower in tyool 2021 and I think there's literal zero they can ever do about it.

(there's no reason it should but that's not the conversation we're having...)
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-13 14:25:20  
The resolution change crashing Windower thing (if that's what it is) has a fix via DGVoodoo. I could see a popup aggravating resolution.

A little google-fu got me this gem:

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
Happens because the program flashes your windowsexplorer to ask for permission to launch and that causes ffxi to crash. To fix that install Dgvoodoo.

I have a similar crash any time I turn off my TV while logged onto FFXI overnight. It will leave the game running all night, but when I turn the TV on the next day, Windower crashes then and there. The DGVoodoo thing was what I was told would fix it, but I've never actually went through that process and just learned to log on/off like a normal human being overnight.