users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Discontinuation Announcement for FFXI ReFriender
Discontinuation Announcement for FFXI ReFriender
 Ragnarok.Trixi
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2023-06-06 14:50:42  
The FFXI ReFriender system, which originally launched in November 2018, will unfortunately be discontinued as of June 5, 2023, due to changes on Twitter's behalf preventing users from registering or logging in to the service.

Thank you for using the FFXI ReFriender and your continued support of FINAL FANTASY XI.

FINAL FANTASY XI Producer & Director, Yoji Fujito

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml and https://refriender.finalfantasyxi.com/
 Ragnarok.Trixi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2023-06-06 14:51:30  
Obviously not the most important of things, but it would have been nice to have some sort of heads-up. I used it several times, and I would have at least liked to copy out the people I tagged.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-06 15:53:43  
I doubt they even remembered of its existence. It likely broke when Twitter made their API changes and the FFXI team put out a "were closing it yesterday" announcement when they were notified the ReFriender is broken.
By Draylo 2023-06-06 21:31:06  
I honestly laughed when they introduced this, it seemed so dumb and gimmicky like something from 2005. They love to release stuff and then let it die off without ever touching it again, so weird and a waste of resources.
[+]
By Foxfire 2023-06-06 21:43:22  
I mean, twitter's trying to charge for basic API access so for a team that's already barely funded it's only logical to kill it off. It's not a matter of "letting it die". Twitter forced their hand.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-06-06 21:45:18  
I mean... You take the easy "not our fault" and run with that ***lol

(I know literally nothing about it, how hard would it be to put on facebook or some other dumb *** site. They just needed a painless out) It was a stupid idea in the first place.
By Tanag 2023-06-06 22:31:46  
Not saying this was a well-implemented system to begin with, but the blame here lies on Elon. Blaming SE is silly.

But lets be real, they never kept the community site updated so the odds of this getting any fixes or updates were slim at best.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-07 00:19:40  
No its SE's fault SE is terrible, FFXI is terrible, blame SE for everything, its always their fault!
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-07 03:56:55  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
(I know literally nothing about it, how hard would it be to put on facebook or some other dumb *** site. They just needed a painless out) It was a stupid idea in the first place.

Facebook is nowhere near as widely used in Japan as Twitter is (was?)