users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Low Level Corsair Gear
Low Level Corsair Gear
First Page 2
 Fairy.Deliverance
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 10:59:56  
I would like advice on some low level gear for Corsair..

Let's consider this an AF and Under Thread.

So far I've got both my Archer Knives.
I am after a Bronze Bandolier, mainly for the bullets.
I have my Peacock Charm, Empress Hairpin. I have Bounding Boots as well, but I haven't checked if COR can wear these.

I've also looked into Beetle Earrings/rings, Bone earrings/rings.

Has anyone else got any suggestions? As for now I'll be running around with daggers/gun/bullets/and accessories, no other actual armor.

I've trained COR for about an hour, I'm nearly level 9 (I know, woohoo, level 9, I seem so dedicated). I want this job to be taken to 75 though. So I have been collecting and preparing to level this job up for awhile.

Thank you for your time,
Deliverance.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-06 11:04:41  
Noob. Advanced Search, {You can have this.}
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 11:30:29  
You're a nab.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-06 11:31:03  
No, I'm lazy. :P
 Siren.Kuz
サーバ: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 11:47:16  
Fairy.Deliverance said:
I have Bounding Boots as well, but I haven't checked if COR can wear these.

User submitted image

You.... have them... look at them...

Fairy.Deliverance said:
Has anyone else got any suggestions? As for now I'll be running around with daggers/gun/bullets/and accessories, no other actual armor.

Suggestion: don't run around in just accessories.

Fairy.Deliverance said:
So I have been collecting and preparing to level this job up for awhile.

OK, I'm afraid to ask...
Exactly WHAT have you been collecting...
and exactly HOW have you been preparing...
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 11:49:05  
I am at work, and didn't search sorry for not looking.

Yes I know, I didn't want to do that, it's...why I started this thread?

Getting Rare/EX chest items... like I've stated above...

So...

Rather than just attempt to be an ***.

Answer the questions?

Thanks.

You just turned a thread asking for advice, into flame-bait. In under an hour, Congratulations.
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 12:00:41  

Siren.Kuz said:

OK, I'm afraid to ask...
Exactly WHAT have you been collecting...
and exactly HOW have you been preparing...

which leads to

Fairy.Deliverance said:

Rather than just attempt to be an ***.
Answer the questions?

~ahem~ try answering my question...
I asked this for a REASON. I would like to see where you are going with the job. What you expect the Job to be. How you are gearing it for the future. Exactly what you plan is...will you focus on support? DD? QD?
ALL of this goes into me and any other people giving you advice as to HOW to gear and what to save up for and or quest.

there are ALOT of very talented, helpful and insightful COR's on this forum who will be more then energetic in their responses...

but just saying "HAI GUYZ!!! I HAZ BULLETZ AND A HAIRPIN" does NOT a Corsair make.

Help us to help you.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 12:03:34  
Well, heh, the first advice, was "Get this job Astral Flowed up to 75 and just roll dice," I don't think, I want to do that.

I want to have a mix of support/DD.

For example... (I apologize for not knowing the job better), but...I know of some of the effects of the rolls on party members, and out of all the "support" jobs... I like COR the most.

I want to be a support character that can solo when need be, does that sound stupid?
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-06 12:10:43  
Step 1: AB it to 75.
Step 2: Get all of your dice and a ton of cards.
Step 3: Get a Joyeuse, Martial Gun, and Luzaf's Ring.
Step 4: Go skill up sword and marksmanship a LOT.
Step 5: Get gear for acc, r. acc., r. atk., QD, and ele shots.
Step 6: Pwn stuff.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:11:57  
Basically, anything that increases ranged accuracy or agility should be your priority at low levels, if you plan on using bullets. I can't really be bothered to go through the effort of researching specific pieces myself; I think it's something you should do as you're levelling the job. I'd list them all myself but it's literally been years since I levelled COR.

Basically, for a DD setup, prioritise:

Ranged Accuracy > AGI > Ranged Attack > STR

And if you're subbing WHM in parties then obviously focus on MP; although at those levels, you really shouldn't be and it wouldn't help your party much anyway. As your level gets higher you can start focusing on adding in some attack. Remember, COR has no natural accuracy traits so your accuracy will really suck until you start getting higher.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:17:29  
Fairy.Deliverance said:
I've also looked into Beetle Earrings/rings, Bone earrings/rings.

With regards to this sort of melee gear, it's really quite pointless unless you just want a filled slot for completion's sake. They really provide no benefits that are important to a Corsair and after 28, you won't be meleeing anymore anyway since you get +20 Ranged Accuracy through 2x Archer's Knives. You'll use them until Trailer's Kukris at 61, so it's really just a waste of your inventory and money buying +6 attack for 6 levels. After 28, you shouldn't ever worry about melee attack and should never buy gear specifically for it.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 12:20:58  
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Basically, anything that increases ranged accuracy or agility should be your priority at low levels, if you plan on using bullets. I can't really be bothered to go through the effort of researching specific pieces myself; I think it's something you should do as you're levelling the job. I'd list them all myself but it's literally been years since I levelled COR.

Basically, for a DD setup, prioritise:

Ranged Accuracy > AGI > Ranged Attack > STR

And if you're subbing WHM in parties then obviously focus on MP; although at those levels, you really shouldn't be and it wouldn't help your party much anyway. As your level gets higher you can start focusing on adding in some attack. Remember, COR has no natural accuracy traits so your accuracy will really suck until you start getting higher.

I'm not sure how the formulas worked for ranged at lower levels, but for melee, attack is worth SOOOO much more than acc (for example mighty ring > vision rings) as well as base dmg.

Unless it works way different, 1 rattack > 1 racc, 1 str > 1 agi
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:22:01  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
I'm not sure how the formulas worked for ranged at lower levels, but for melee, attack is worth SOOOO much more than acc (for example mighty ring > vision rings) as well as base dmg.

There's absolutely no point having attack if you never hit; and at low levels, Corsair's ranged accuracy is just awful.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-06 12:22:01  
I know I'm no COR expert, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, Wooooo.

COR's skill is too low to reliably hit at lower levels, and even if you do pump enough gear into R.ACC, it's not doing much damage and your Ranged WSs suck. I personally recommend waiting until 55-57 to even consider fulltiming ranged attacks.

That, and Bullets are expensive as hell. That's the main thing I was getting at. Not worth how many you'll be losing doing mediocre damage.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:22:52  
Siren.Enternius said:
I know I'm no COR expert, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, Wooooo.

COR's skill is too low to reliably hit at lower levels, and even if you do pump enough gear into R.ACC, it's not doing much damage and your Ranged WSs suck. I personally recommend waiting until 55-57 to even consider fulltiming ranged attacks.

That, and Bullets are expensive as hell. That's the main thing I was getting at. Not worth how many you'll be losing doing mediocre damage.

I was just assuming the OP was going the whole hog, so answered accordingly. As for attacks being weak, bullets at those levels, even with no ranged attack gear, are one of the best forms of damage.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 12:23:47  
Well Beetle rings I wanted for slot fillers for Range ACC.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:26:00  
Fairy.Deliverance said:
Well Beetle rings I wanted for slot fillers for Range ACC.

You said beetle earrings, which provide zero accuracy. Typo maybe?
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 12:26:23  
Does not sound stupid at all.

First bit of advice if you are aiming to support:
Subbing mage low level for support, invest in astral rings.
You wont find too much MP gear for a COR at low levels.

Level up your WHM, but also look into RDM, BLU and BLM for higher level sub.

In the beginning, you find yourself DDing more often then support for the reason listed above.
Sub RNG, WAR, NIN, or hell... even DNC if you plan to melee.

Seek out the firefly. Its the lowest level gun for COR (used to be you couldn't get a gun till level 15)
Not sure what level your COR is now... I believe you said 9

IF you plan to melee, stack on the Ranged Accuracy gear, and AGI.
Unless you are subbing RNG... COR has NO natural ranged accuracy trait. You'll find yourself missing... a lot.

Noct around 30 is nice. get your Archers/Hawkers if you haven't done so.

Once you hit 40, you'll get Quickdraw...and Evoker's Roll
and your Corsair experience will thrive.
You will literally be the life of the party (IE: Blind invites a plenty)

This is where you want to start looking into subbing more BLM for your Quickdraws. and start questing your Magic Attack Bonus gear (moldy earring, Uggy Pendant, elemental staves, etc). Also stacking on more AGI.

For SOLO experience...
Might be rough at low levels. Never really solo'd much pre-Quickdraw.
You'll find QD to be a necessity for soloing .if you run into trouble, you just turn your back and Sleep.
Also 90% of COR solo is like RDM solo... Kite, Nuke (Quickdraw), Sleep (if possible)
It IS possible to stand your ground and straight fight. Just maintain rolls such as Ninja and Dancer, and stack on Eva (sub NIN for shadows...or if you have a Joy-toy you can easily sub DNC and solo like a soboroSAM/DNC)

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
typing fast at work.
just keep asking questions.

Lastly...

Fairy.Deliverance said:
Well, heh, the first advice, was "Get this job Astral Flowed up to 75 and just roll dice," I don't think, I want to do that.

PLEASE Don't do this...
Ever.
on ANY job you plan to take seriously.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:27:11  
Also Enternius, don't forget that in most situations a Corsair will have a permanent attack boost on that will only be dropped for a minute after a bust and for a minute putting Evoker's roll up (40+).
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 12:28:16  
Siren.Enternius said:
I'm no COR expert
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 12:28:21  
Alright thank you very much for your advice Kuz

I have WHM 31. I can use that, and I have astral rings already.

When I get home I will edit this and reply more in depth.

COR can't wear hawker's knives :( RNG/BST :(.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:29:31  
Fairy.Deliverance said:

It's not that much of a deal, you're only missing out on 4 Ranged Accuracy. Archer's Knives should provide you with more than enough accuracy. You have a Peacock Charm, you'll get two Drone Earrings at 35 and with full HQ Noct set, your accuracy should be decent.

Chiroptera Dagger is a nice dagger, although it drops off of Tres Duendes in Phomiuna Aqueducts. It's a really nice knife for COR, and you could even use it later on to avoid forking out on Trailer's Kukri, if you want to save on a little money.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 12:31:02  
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:

There's absolutely no point having attack if you never hit; and at low levels, Corsair's ranged accuracy is just awful.

Ok you had agi > str in your comparison

Let's look at 2 agi vs 2 str.
2 agi = 1 acc
2 str = 1 fstr2

Let's say you have the minimum acc in the game (which you'd get the most increase) 20% hitrate

1 racc will bring that to 20.5

20.5/20 = 2.5% inrease in damage.

Now lets say you have bandit gun+1 15 DMG w/ tin bullet 8 DMG (now this is where i'm unsure, but you simply add the 2 damages, right?)

At this point your DMG would be +23

1 fstr2 will raise your dmg by 1

24/23 = 4.35% increase to dmg/shot

And that's at minimum acc. Let's say you have 40% hitrate 40.5/40 = 1.25% increase.

I'm just not seeing how agi > str at low lvs
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 12:32:41  
Fairy.Deliverance said:

HAHAHA ooops! Sorry brain fart
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:37:27  
Fair point, but your mindset is still in the melee side of things. Corsair's base accuracy really, really is just plain awful until you get bigger boosts later on in gear or sub ranger. If Corsair's your first marksmanship using job, you'll also not have the skill levelled, which will also be a pain when working with accuracy. If you put 4 STR on the rings slot from 2x Courage Ring, you'll be missing out on 2 more Ranged Accuracy, which is accuracy you really need if you plan on hitting. I'm not very good with the maths, but it just seems logical having more accuracy when your accuracy is terrible is better than having a slightly stronger punch when your accuracy is as terrible.

All this is hypothetical though really in my opinion, because it's just a waste of money even considering shooting bullets until "Bullet" at 22. The rest just aren't worth the bother unless you're looking to keep your skill capped.

It's not feasible or worthwhile to really gear Corsair up for damage dealing until 56 and Slug Shot. Because until this point, weapon skills will only even break three digits on piercing weak monsters. It's a sad state when your standard ranged attacks inflict more damage than weapon skills, but such is the life of a Corsair pre-Slug Shot.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-06 12:40:27  
To be completely honest, the whole R.ACC issue is more mental than anything.

Sure, your ACC isn't perfect but whenever you're on a ranged job, you have a mindset that you're paying for every attack. And if you're paying for it, you don't want to have it miss.

It's like those slot machine things >.> It's better mentally to win frequently but only make like a profit of 5 cents, rather than to lose 20 times, then make a profit of 20 dollars.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 12:43:24  
Siren.Enternius said:
To be completely honest, the whole R.ACC issue is more mental than anything.

Sure, your ACC isn't perfect but whenever you're on a ranged job, you have a mindset that you're paying for every attack. And if you're paying for it, you don't want to have it miss.

I disagree. Somebody who's really serious about levelling Ranger or Corsair should come to terms with the expenditure before they start levelling. If you go the distance and really put effort into these jobs, they become mighty expensive; but worth it. The mindset you're going to be spending a stash of cash each party is a good one to be in; otherwise, you either won't enjoy the levelling experience or you'll not put the maximum effort into your gear.

Making sure your ranged accuracy is high enough to be worth it is part of making the effort and spending gil; which is a mindset you should be in before levelling either job.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-06 12:45:20  
"Corsair's base accuracy really, really is just plain awful until you get bigger boosts later on in gear or sub ranger"

This is why I went off the lowest acc possible.

"If you put 4 STR on the rings slot from 2x Courage Ring, you'll be missing out on 2 more Ranged Accuracy"

4 str is 2 fstr 2

Going back to minimum acc, 2 acc is 1% hitrate

Going from 20 to 21 is
21/20 = 5% increase in damage.

Going back to our base of 23 dmg, 4 str brings you to 25 DMG
25/23 = 8.67% increase to dmg/hit, as well as 2 ranged attack, which would probably boost that up to 10%

Have to look at it this way. Your acc is both horrible w/ and w/o that 2 acc if you're at minimum acc.
21% hitrate vs 20% hitrate.

Shoot 100 times, w/ 21% hitrate you will land an average of 21 shots and w/ 20% hitrate you will land an average of 20 shots.

20 landed shots w/ +8-10% dmg/hit > 21 landed shots.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-06 12:45:25  
I'm no stranger to wasting lots of money on a job. That's not exactly my point.

My point is, if you're paying to attack, and your options are either to hit or to miss, you're going to want to take the hit, even if it's less productive over time.
First Page 2