フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Fat People Now Illegal in Japan
Fat People Now Illegal in Japan
 Asura.Eeek
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 16:13:21  
Yeah, I just tried to quote Blurr too. It didn't work. >.<

Anyways, I just wanted to point out the CEO of Safeway disagrees with Blurr's assessment. They built incentives into their insurance coverage for employees to reduce their health risk factors by taking action to lose weight, lower hypertension, quit smoking, and lower their cholesterol. They claim that they "were able to see savings clearly and immediately the first year [they] implemented the program."
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-11 16:13:42  
Caitsith.Blurr said:
just as many "skinny" people can require "additional services and special care" as obese people. you make it sound like every single overweight person has special needs, which is hardly the case. of the 35% of americans being over weight, maybe .5 percent of that are people that fall into this category your trying to make.. even thats a generous estimation imo. if you wanna talk about people sucking other peoples tax dollars, talk about the prison/justice system -_-
Your just making up numbers now.
WHO said:
Approximately 85% of people with diabetes are type 2, and of these, 90% are obese or overweight.
In the analyses carried out for World Health Report 2002, approximately 58% of diabetes and 21% of ischaemic heart disease and 8-42% of certain cancers globally were attributable to a BMI above 21 kg/m2.
CDC said:
Economic Consequences
Overweight and obesity and their associated health problems have a significant economic impact on the U.S. health care system (USDHHS, 2001). Medical costs associated with overweight and obesity may involve direct and indirect costs (Wolf and Colditz, 1998; Wolf, 1998). Direct medical costs may include preventive, diagnostic, and treatment services related to obesity. Indirect costs relate to morbidity and mortality costs. Morbidity costs are defined as the value of income lost from decreased productivity, restricted activity, absenteeism, and bed days. Mortality costs are the value of future income lost by premature death.

More than one third of U.S. adults—more than 72 million people—and 16% of U.S. children are obese. Since 1980, obesity rates for adults have doubled and rates for children have tripled. Obesity rates among all groups in society—irrespective of age, sex, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, education level, or geographic region—have increased markedly

Obesity has physical, psychological, and social consequences in adults and children. Children and adolescents are developing obesity-related diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, that were once seen only in adults. Obese children are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, including high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, and abnormal glucose tolerance. One study of 5- to 17-year-olds found that 70% of obese children had at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease and 39% of obese children had at least two risk factors

In 2000, obesity-related health care costs totaled an estimated $117 billion.

Between 1987 and 2001, diseases associated with obesity account for 27% of the increases in medical costs.

Medical expenditures for obese workers, depending on severity of obesity and sex, are between 29%–117% greater than expenditures for workers with normal weight.

From 1979–1981 to 1997–1999, annual hospital costs related to obesity among children and adolescents increased, rising from $35 million to $127 million.

The Health Consequences of Obesity

Coronary heart disease
Type 2 diabetes
Cancer (endometrial, breast, and colon)
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Dyslipidemia (high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
Stroke
Liver and gallbladder disease
Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
Osteoarthritis (degeneration of cartilage and underlying bone within a joint)
Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)

[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-11 16:26:15  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
lolol, If only I had a picture of her to go along with it. I love Lily and all, but her "lets play!" death flop is dangerous.

Ahahaha, I know exactly what you mean! My dog's the same way, but if I didn't put in the effort to take him on walks, you'd hear my foundation crack whenever he flopped on the ground.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-11 16:31:29  
Asura.Eeek said:
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
lolol, If only I had a picture of her to go along with it. I love Lily and all, but her "lets play!" death flop is dangerous.

Ahahaha, I know exactly what you mean! My dog's the same way, but if I didn't put in the effort to take him on walks, you'd hear my foundation crack whenever he flopped on the ground.
haha, super coincidental because I'm leaving with my own little sir for that very reason before it gets super dark out. Mostly because the vet makes fun of him. :c
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-11 16:36:03  
This is for you Korpg. http://www.hulu.com/watch/102325/the-colbert-report-wed-oct-14-2009#s-p3-so-i0
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-11 22:06:53  
-.-
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-11 22:33:34  
Asura.Korpg said:
-.-
What I thought you'd like the professor he had on his show. Did you get that far into the video? I know there were a bunch of fat jokes at the beginning :/
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-11 23:40:39  
What about severely underweight people? They are also a drain on tax payer's dollars, but I don't see anyone trying to punish them. "Oh hey, you haven't eaten for 5 days? GREAT JOB! Keep up the good work!" "What's that? You barfed up those grapes you ate? AWESOME!"

And Cai, was the drug your dog was on thyroxine?
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-12 11:39:56  
Isn't today's perception of the "perfect" weight to be severely underweight anyway?

I mean, yeah, we all should be like twigs who only eat once a month, very healthy if you ask me

PETA would love it, that means less cows consumed per person, which means so many more cows would live to be cows.

Global Warming Activists would love it, meaning less cows being breed for the consumption of meat, and that produces less methane to be "used" in the ozone.

Of course, that would totally kill our agriculture industry, bye bye the middle 2/3s of the USA, but at least we keep people in NY and CA happy....

.....*** that.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-11-12 12:38:58  
Anorexic people make up an estimated 1% - 5% of the US population. Obese and overweight people (yes, there's a difference) make up over 50% of the US population. I'm astounded that anyone seriously thinks that anorexic/bulimic individuals rack up health care bills that approach anything remotely close to the magnitude of the health care bills incurred by overweight/obese individuals. No one with any capacity for critical thinking can seriously make such a claim.

To top if off, people are seriously suggesting that we should all eat once a month? At this point, anyone who says something this ridiculous shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone for any reason. This is craziness and intellectual laziness in the same vein as Jenny McCarthy/Suzanne Somers.

You want some sane suggestions? Here's a few sane suggestions:

1) Stop eating fast food on a regular basis. The calorie/fat content in those value meals is outrageous. The same can be said of casual dining restaurants.

2) Stop sucking down a six-pack of soda per day. That ***is diabetes in a can.

3) Stop couch-surfing and move around. You'll reap tremendous health benefits just by doing something simple as walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes, 5 times a week. I do this presently just by walking my dog. I used to do it by walking around an enormous college campus. You don't have to put forth the effort Jaerik does in order to be healthy, but please realize that bulding a strong, muscular body is a completely different goal from developing and practicing more healthy habits.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-12 12:53:31  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
And Cai, was the drug your dog was on thyroxine?
I'm not sure, it was tiny and pink. lol This was an ex's dog like 3 years ago so hard to say. I could certainly go and make the most awkward phone call of my life and find out though? lol

Also, those were pretty god awful arguments, Korpg. Like, obscenely terrible. lol
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-12 17:58:54  
wtf... ;_; i like chubby chicks. lol this would ruin everything if they do that in the US... /cry
i do like when they start putting more "plus size" girls (as they call it) as models.
and whaaaat??? i'm like 5'5" (around 127 lbs) and maybe have a 28'-30' waist. >_>;;
hmm... now that I think of it i'm around the size of some asians.... heh... *cries inside*
how the hell am i going to keep that after age 40 though?
up to around 30 sure... my metabolism will probably hold up...
but seriously....
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2009-11-12 18:02:44  

This is what I'm having tonight. :)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-12 18:07:23  
Asura.Korpg said:
Isn't today's perception of the "perfect" weight to be severely underweight anyway? I mean, yeah, we all should be like twigs who only eat once a month, very healthy if you ask me PETA would love it, that means less cows consumed per person, which means so many more cows would live to be cows. Global Warming Activists would love it, meaning less cows being breed for the consumption of meat, and that produces less methane to be "used" in the ozone. Of course, that would totally kill our agriculture industry, bye bye the middle 2/3s of the USA, but at least we keep people in NY and CA happy.... .....*** that.
This has nothing to do with perfection or even aesthetics so stop trying to change it to that. Eating once a month is stupid in all kinds of ways but go ahead and try it. You will lose weight if you live thru it. Also those cows that are not dieing now supposedly guess what there is also no need to have a ranch for them so in all likelyhood they would be slaughtered wholesale by the ranchers who can no longer afford to raise them and then no more cows. Also California is a very argicultural state. Just about any and everything is grown somewhere in cali.

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-12 18:14:36  
Asura.Eeek said:
You want some sane suggestions? Here's a few sane suggestions:

1) Stop eating fast food on a regular basis. The calorie/fat content in those value meals is outrageous. The same can be said of casual dining restaurants.

2) Stop sucking down a six-pack of soda per day. That ***is diabetes in a can.

3) Stop couch-surfing and move around. You'll reap tremendous health benefits just by doing something simple as walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes, 5 times a week. I do this presently just by walking my dog. I used to do it by walking around an enormous college campus. You don't have to put forth the effort Jaerik does in order to be healthy, but please realize that bulding a strong, muscular body is a completely different goal from developing and practicing more healthy habits
1) somewhat depends on the person and level of activity. And resturant lol. I remember seeing a 2k+ calorie burger in applebees I think it was but for me that was nothing really while that would probably be alot to most people. Though alot can be on what you order pretty much every fast food place and all real resturants have low fat/calorie meals that also can taste good. Which is nice since this is a very speed oriented society that doesn't like to waste time on things like cooking.

2) Meh same thing but really its any high sugar/caffiene drinks. Like all the coffee people chug or there sweet teas or worst of all those people that like live on energy drinks. But me I'm kinda a sugar fiend. I can feel it like a need when I'm low on calories. Even get headaches lol.

3) Yeah you'd actually be really suprised how well just a little walking can do. And its not really that hard. You don't even have to go out of your way really. Though in todays soceity walking places gets you looked at strangly. I don't know how many times I just get stared at when I suggest or say I'm going to walk to some place especially if its over like 2 blocks lol. I have pretty much always walked wherever I went or rode my bike and pretty much no matter what I ate and no matter how little exercise I got I stayed in at least OK shape.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-12 18:14:53  
Quote:
Anorexic people make up an estimated 1% - 5% of the US population. Obese and overweight people (yes, there's a difference) make up over 50% of the US population. I'm astounded that anyone seriously thinks that anorexic/bulimic individuals rack up health care bills that approach anything remotely close to the magnitude of the health care bills incurred by overweight/obese individuals. No one with any capacity for critical thinking can seriously make such a claim.

I'm saying if you're gonna be a hater, be an equal opportunity hater. In other words, don't be a hypocrite. Don't tax one extreme and leave out the other because statistics are on their side. Anorexia/Bulemia are just as much of a problem as over-eaters. Plenty of people who are overweight go on diets, lose the weight and become healthy. A lot of over-eaters can decrease their BMI by doing simply what you said. Anorexics/Bulemics, on the other hand, usually have to go through intense psychotherapy to get over the fact that 85 pounds is NOT a healthy weight.

You're ignorant to think that overweight/obese people are the only causes for health costs being outrageous.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-12 18:23:06  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
I'm saying if you're gonna be a hater, be an equal opportunity hater. In other words, don't be a hypocrite. Don't tax one extreme and leave out the other because statistics are on their side. Anorexia/Bulemia are just as much of a problem as over-eaters. Plenty of people who are overweight go on diets, lose the weight and become healthy. A lot of over-eaters can decrease their BMI by doing simply what you said. Anorexics/Bulemics, on the other hand, usually have to go through intense psychotherapy to get over the fact that 85 pounds is NOT a healthy weight.

You're ignorant to think that overweight/obese people are the only causes for health costs being outrageous
And what about the people who are fat because they admitidlly chose to be and think its good or at least all right? And really do you realize how much it takes for most these people especially in this society to actually lose the weight? And so what if they do guess what then they are not being taxed!?! OMFG they win and win! He never said they are the only cause however they are a very large and growing cause so much so that people are taking action. While anorexia and bulemia are barely blips on the radar.
You find me cost that even come close to this or even can quote where major health organizations refer to bulemia/anorexia as epedimics like they do for obesity then we will talk
CDC said:
In 2000, obesity-related health care costs totaled an estimated $117 billion.

Between 1987 and 2001, diseases associated with obesity account for 27% of the increases in medical costs.

Medical expenditures for obese workers, depending on severity of obesity and sex, are between 29%–117% greater than expenditures for workers with normal weight.

From 1979–1981 to 1997–1999, annual hospital costs related to obesity among children and adolescents increased, rising from $35 million to $127 million.

Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-12 18:24:14  
LOL

Yes 1-5%

And fat slobs? something like 30-40%.

Get up and go for a run instead of coming on here and trying to justify being 500lbs.

Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-12 18:27:01  
I wonder how long it will be before somebody comes on here and cries woe that they have the 'fat gene', an excuse made up by a pair of ridiculously overweight woman in the UK to try and justify being lazy fat ***.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-12 18:28:27  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
I wonder how long it will be before somebody comes on here and cries woe that they have the 'fat gene', an excuse made up by a pair of ridiculously overweight woman in the UK to try and justify being lazy fat ***.
Wait why they have to be in the UK? I mean I understand the rest but why british?
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-12 18:32:48  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Get up and go for a run instead of coming on here and trying to justify being 500lbs.

*** that lol i have no long distance running stamina. short bursts of speed! :P

and hey... :'( i'm only 127 thank you very much lmao
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-12 18:35:05  
Lakshmi.Wardens said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

Ever saw that movie Zombieland? One of the main rules for survival was cardio. The fattest got eaten first.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-12 18:38:04  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Lakshmi.Wardens said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Ever saw that movie Zombieland? One of the main rules for survival was cardio. The fattest got eaten first.

lmao that would make them run all right XD

Also I found chasing them with a bowl of salad provokes the same reaction.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-12 18:38:15  
LMFAO i loved that movie. the main char was exactly like me... minus the cardio.. ;_; i'll work on that...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-12 18:38:46  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Lakshmi.Wardens said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Remember to double tap too. But really you don't have to do long distance running. That is kinda overdoing it if your only going for healthy
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-12 18:44:59  
Or you can do what I do and train 25hours a week, that way you still get to stuff your face lol, but with healthy stuff umk!