フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » SAM AF+1
SAM AF+1
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 03:39:20  
Long boring story short, I'm finally bothering doing SAM AF and I have a full AF+1 set sitting in my MH and don't know which piece I should HQ.

I'm torn between Legs, Hands and Head (Head because it'll replace my Wyvern Helm also >.>)

Thoughts? Genuine suggestions?
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 03:46:42  
Legs: Do you have haste pants? If not, do you have a 6hit w/o sacrificing haste in other slots (w/o accounting leg gear)? If the answer is no to either, these pants will help hold you over for a bit

Head: Inventory+1 (bye wyv helm). That's about all it's worth.

Hands: Polearm sam? No Bkote/Okote? These will serve fine for penta thrust. Y/G/K? You're better off with Pallas/Alkies
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 04:02:04  
I don't have Haste pants atm, trying to get someone to pop Byakko ._. Though I do have a 6-hit without sacrificing any other Haste gear.

I have B Kote that I'm using for Penta atm, just wasn't sure if the +1 hands would work out better or not.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 04:12:36  
"Though I do have a 6-hit without sacrificing any other Haste gear."
Without leg slot? (for example are you using sam JSE?) If so, then pants+1 would most likely be better (unless you lose the 6hit w/ 1 less stp)

Some ppl use hands+1, some use Bkote. I personally ues Bkote.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 04:15:55  
Atm I'm saving to get Hagun, so I'm using a Rindomaru (got lucky with STP+12) and a few other bits.

This is the gear I use atm for TP with GK (and the same with Engetsuto)

Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 04:17:29  
Hmm Rindo is only worth it really if you can manage a 5hit out of it. What other stats does it have? Not very likely to beat Onimaru (which is very cheap btw) tbh. If you could afford one, I'd use it over a 6hit rindo.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 04:20:37  
WS Acc+4 Acc+3
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 04:22:32  
Yea, definitely Onimaru then.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 04:25:41  
Alrighty, I'll work on getting hold of one and see what it's like =)

So AF+1 legs would be a decent substitute to get my 6-hit and not be failing >_> (I have 3 pieces of the Hachi set that I macro in, I use Feet/Body in WS and I have Hands because they were part of my original 6-hit build)
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 04:28:29  
yea, they'll work. Leg options really blow until haste pants unfortunately, but yea, without them, that's the best option I see for 6hit. Once you get kitty pants then we can re-evaluate your 6hit. As for WS, Rutters serve well if you can get them, but hachi will work fine until then. Domaru will last you until osode for ws, but remember if you do anything with REALLY high defense, like JoL, then attack will come back into play and haub may pull ahead, but that situation will be rare.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-02 04:31:54  
Alrighty, Thanks for the help =) I'll hand my legs in later today^^
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 04:33:23  
They'll also work for Y/G/K because acc on those 3 WS is next to moot. So if you're saving up for anything in particular, Shura haidate won't be a priority and can leave them on the back burner. Though they do well for penta if you don't have kitty pants.
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 07:12:33  
I would personally go with Myn. Domaru +1 if I were you.

For those times you would have to tank (hi2u Salvage) +20 Evasion > - 10 Attack, and you get the same STR/Acc as Hauber+1.

And its cheaper than Hauber+1.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 08:39:58  
You can do that if you want, but honestly it's a waste of money. Inferior to haub for DDing and is a crappy tanking piece. When you're going for mobs like chariots, they're not going to miss you in any plausible tanking set. Damage mitigation is what you'll want for when seigan drops (arhat's+1). Your evasion as sam, is most likely going to be floored, minimal evasion rate and that one piece swap isn't going to help. (Hell, mnk has the same eva skill as sam and w/ full usu, hades sainti, and dodge up, chariots still parse 90-95% hitrate on me).
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-02 08:48:07  
Get Legs +1 for your WS build first. After that... Doesn't really matter tbh b/c there's other better pieces for every slot.
 Seraph.Octaviusc
サーバ: Seraph
user: Octaviusc
By Seraph.Octaviusc 2009-12-02 09:07:51  
I would invest in an Onimaru and spend the rest of your gil on gear. Hagun is overrated. You will get a much better return on gear setup first then Hagun later if you still want one.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 09:10:06  
Seraph.Octaviusc said:
I would invest in an Onimaru and spend the rest of your gil on gear. Hagun is overrated. You will get a much better return on gear setup first then Hagun later if you still want one.
Most of sam's good gear is rare/ex. I don't see what's buyable that would beat out hagun's benefit.
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-02 09:13:22  
70% of samurai's damage is through WS, so why not get the best possible WS piece considering single hit WS get a massive acc boost anyway.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-12-02 09:23:10  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Seraph.Octaviusc said:
Most of sam's good gear is rare/ex. I don't see what's buyable that would beat out hagun's benefit.

idk, I use a Onimaru myself and can do just as much dmg as a Hagun SAM.

First AF+1 I probably will go for is the legs >.> I just gotta get the Regular ones first lol, i've been lazy about it.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 09:26:23  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
You can do that if you want, but honestly it's a waste of money. Inferior to haub for DDing and is a crappy tanking piece. When you're going for mobs like chariots, they're not going to miss you in any plausible tanking set. Damage mitigation is what you'll want for when seigan drops (arhat's+1). Your evasion as sam, is most likely going to be floored, minimal evasion rate and that one piece swap isn't going to help. (Hell, mnk has the same eva skill as sam and w/ full usu, hades sainti, and dodge up, chariots still parse 90-95% hitrate on me).

Hi, I guess you didn't read my post.

I said for tanking, not DDing. Its not a crappy tanking piece because you get a little extra VIT (something you don't get from Hauby) and extra evasion (well, you don't get the -20 evasion anyway) while keeping up damage (hi2u Acc+12) and don't lose accuracy as much as if you were wearing a Kirin's Osode. If you still get hit 90-95% of the time as SAM, you need to skill parrying up. Even if what you said is true (that evasion is floored for a DD SAM) then what harm would it be to have a little extra AGI (that you don't get from having Hauby on) to help with evasion/parrying?

And thats just for tanking little stuff (SAM is not an endall tank, WAR is a much better tank than SAM).

For soloing, AF+1 body > Hauby because of the extra defence, extra evasion, and that extra effect in case you DO get hit. Which is minor, but for a SAM/DNC, that might just be enough for a cure.

Please tell me that you have different sets for party and for soloing though....
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-02 09:29:31  
Generally if you're in the position where you need a tank set then the Arhat's line of equip is the way forward as Arhat head/body +1 is 16% PDR.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 09:30:55  
Bahamut.Fyyvoaa said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Seraph.Octaviusc said:

idk, I use a Onimaru myself and can do just as much dmg as a Hagun SAM.

First AF 1 I probably will go for is the legs >.> I just gotta get the Regular ones first lol, i've been lazy about it.
If you do more damage than Hagun sams with Onimaru, that just means you're a better player. It does not mean you wouldn't do better damage with a hagun.

For example
You + Onimaru > X hagun user
You + Hagun >>>> X Hagun user.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 09:33:36  

Quote:
and is a crappy tanking piece. When you're going for mobs like chariots, they're not going to miss you in any plausible tanking set. Damage mitigation is what you'll want for when seigan drops (arhat's+1). Your evasion as sam, is most likely going to be floored, minimal evasion rate and that one piece swap isn't going to help. (Hell, mnk has the same eva skill as sam and w/ full usu, hades sainti, and dodge up, chariots still parse 90-95% hitrate on me).

No, you are the one who failed to read my post. I read yours just fine. Sam AF+1 body is a horrible tanking piece.
Quote:
Hi, I guess you didn't read my post.

I said for tanking, not DDing. Its not a crappy tanking piece because you get a little extra VIT (something you don't get from Hauby) and extra evasion (well, you don't get the -20 evasion anyway) while keeping up damage (hi2u Acc+12) and don't lose accuracy as much as if you were wearing a Kirin's Osode. If you still get hit 90-95% of the time as SAM, you need to skill parrying up. Even if what you said is true (that evasion is floored for a DD SAM) then what harm would it be to have a little extra AGI (that you don't get from having Hauby on) to help with evasion/parrying?

And thats just for tanking little stuff (SAM is not an endall tank, WAR is a much better tank than SAM).

For soloing, AF+1 body > Hauby because of the extra defence, extra evasion, and that extra effect in case you DO get hit. Which is minor, but for a SAM/DNC, that might just be enough for a cure.

Please tell me that you have different sets for party and for soloing though....

If you're soloing, Askar body, +12 evasion. And if you don't have that and you really care about evasion, then even a scorpion harness is better than AF+1

Again, sam AF+1 body is trash
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 09:50:06  
Thank you very much for your opinion in this manner Vegetto.

Stick with MNK questions please though, since you think accuracy has no meaning for SAM.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-02 10:16:55  
Quote:
since you think accuracy has no meaning for SAM

Has no meaning for SAM on anything that you would be soloing*

... which is pretty much correct, since what are you going to be soloing that is top-end?
[+]
 Fairy.Disc
user: disc
By Fairy.Disc 2009-12-02 10:22:35  
Why would anybody ever upgrade Myochin Domaru to the +1? Why?...

You should be using Arhat's +1 for tanking anything worthwhile on Samurai. There is a reason why nobody wears Myochin Domaru +1, and the people who do are pointed/laughed at for being idiots.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-02 10:26:34  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Has no meaning for SAM on anything that you would be soloing* ... which is pretty much correct, since what are you going to be soloing that is top-end?
What, SAMs don't solo T-VT mobs?

Am I doing it wrong then?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-02 10:28:38  
Asura.Korpg said:
Thank you very much for your opinion in this manner Vegetto.

Stick with MNK questions please though, since you think accuracy has no meaning for SAM.
Again, you've failed to read. I also noted SH, in the event where your acc isn't capped.

Second time you haven't read my entire post (or selectively read).

If you need acc and evasion, then SH(+1) > AF+1
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-02 10:29:45  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:

Has no meaning for SAM on anything that you would be soloing*

... which is pretty much correct, since what are you going to be soloing that is top-end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqwiKfjYJI

sam soloing genbu ^^

but ehm anyways if you want acc AND eva, theres scorp harness but ehhh idk that time has long since past, and then theres what you can make out of the ACP body. Personally i put acc+10 DA+2 on it.. i love me some double attack, and im pretty much an accuracy *** when it comes down to it..

In salvage if your tanking id agree with V on physical damage -% so arhat's +1 is nice, if you dont wanna cash out for that and manage to get an osode from a sky shell, thats vit+10 and it can get the job done i suppose, the def on osode is nice too

the nice thing about tanking in arhat's is that it has PDT- and enmity
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-02 10:31:02  
and nice lol you said what i was gonna say 1 minute before i said it XD
First Page 2 3