users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Samurai - Y/G/K help
Samurai - Y/G/K help
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-12-05 18:33:54  
personally whenever i see a dancing edge go off or blade jin i try to do sekkanoki then kasha for gravitation, and then top it off for a darkness that will do more than the ws. or same with light

but i do admit i fall into the gekko sam category alot.. during merit parties i kinda just zone out, and just hit, ws, kill, engage, hit, ws, kill and repeat that for 5 hours
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-05 19:01:52  
Thanks, Veg. I didn't know LGM still worked either, so thanks for that as well. lol So handy for crowded moments and kiting.
 Fairy.Winterlight
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-12-05 19:35:27  
Fairy.Vegetto said:

The subliminal image is soooo scary....

I'm COMPLETELY freaked out.
 Phoenix.Spheroth
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Spheroth
By Phoenix.Spheroth 2009-12-05 19:35:39  
Unicorn.Ged said:
I would agree with you except for the fact that polearm is a waste for sam. I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell a weapon with a 240 skill can outdamage a weapon with a 276 skill. My gekko's(as a fully merrited taru) average 1.1k on birds where my penta thrusts average about 800. There is no contest. And if you are actually dumb enough to merit polearm on a sam just for xp parties which dont count for anything in the bigger spectrum of things, then you just wasted merits on a useless weapon unless you have drg. If you are a sam and have to do piercing then lv rng to 37 and sidewinder. However you have to have about 70 r.acc for this to be even considered so again why wast all that time and money when you could just merit your GK and own everyones dmg cept rng and good drg in parties.

u can easily cap acc on birds as a polearm sam. and avg damage for good geared polearm sams on birds is usually 1.2k and the really well geared sams can avg 1.7k
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-05 19:38:37  
Phoenix.Spheroth said:
Unicorn.Ged said:
and the really well geared sams can avg 1.7k

1.7 average won't happen, at least I've never seen it and I have a pretty nice sam/war build.

You can see frequent 1.7's, yes, but to average 1.7 means you'd have to frequent much higher than 1.7 to average in the times you do less. Highest I've AVERAGED is in the upper 1500s
 Pandemonium.Shephard
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Shephard
By Pandemonium.Shephard 2009-12-05 19:47:14  
Umm. Maybe I missed some odd sort of revelation here, but since when did gekko become "the most damaging weapon skill? Yuki gekko and kasha share the exact same modifier. The only difference to my knowlege is their skillchain property, and the enfeeble they cause. So why the preference to gekko? All 3 have their uses in a skillchain, and in today's meripo, all 3 should be known and used when the opportunity presents itself to close a skillchain.

As for meikyo shisui, if somehow something occurs that will screw up a chain, meikyo shisui is probobly the party's best bet at keeping chain 206 from becoming chain 1.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-05 19:50:20  
Pandemonium.Shephard said:
Umm. Maybe I missed some odd sort of revelation here, but since when did gekko become "the most damaging weapon skill? Yuki gekko and kasha share the exact same modifier. The only difference to my knowlege is their skillchain property, and the enfeeble they cause. So why the preference to gekko? All 3 have their uses in a skillchain, and in today's meripo, all 3 should be known and used when the opportunity presents itself to close a skillchain.

As for meikyo shisui, if somehow something occurs that will screw up a chain, meikyo shisui is probobly the party's best bet at keeping chain 206 from becoming chain 1.
Many 1hit WS have a hidden attack multiplier, gekko having been tested to have the most.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-05 20:02:09  
Well that was about the dumbest gawdamn thing ever. lol
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Thegiftedmonkey 2009-12-05 20:23:24  
Veg, the Headgear a dat mod? Or did you get some nice augment stats on it? =O
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-05 20:25:28  
Prolly gearmod or blinkmenot
 Fairy.Clave
user: Clave
By Fairy.Clave 2009-12-05 21:15:00  
I don't understand why some of these posts here seem so butthurt.

@OP: Coincidence. You may want to get a parser so you can do more than just eyeball.

@rest:

Fact: YGK have the same damage potential. Same multipliers and mods.
Fact: Gekko has a higher pDIF(attack) bonus than Y and K. G > K > Y in that regard.

Knowing these two things, you can surmise that Gekko is the better weapon skill damage-wise. In capped pDIF situations, they will all perform the same outside of their additional status effects(para on K, blind on Y, silence on G). If the extra attack bonus from gekko will still have an effect over the other two, then Gekko will do more damage than the other two.

In situations where you can get high accuracy and attack with a polearm, it will perform better than GK. YGK advantage comes from their pDIF bonus. Without those bonuses, they would be terrible weapon skills. Average 1.7k is unheard of. 1k I would believe, but that still seems a bit high to be completely honest (assuming spamming at 100%, with or without hagun). DA procs do much to push the average up, so it would depend upon your sub and equipment.

In most zerg situations (like that DL video Veg showed) you will want a polearm build available since you would, I hope at least, receive plenty of buffs. Non-DA Gekkos will range 600-900 depending on build and Hagun use, while polearm will usually always do over 1k. The higher your attack and accuracy in comparison to the mob's defense and evasion, the more this will favor polearm. Gekko is most useful when your attack is low against the target's defense.

This is also all ignoring Kaiten. Kaiten follows the same pattern as polearm in this regard. The higher your attack against target's defense, the better Kaiten is compared to Gekko(it receives no pDIF bonus, but has twice the damage multiplier). That said, good kaitens average 1.3k on non-DA, and 1.8k on DA. Under capped pDIF, their max is about 1.6k non-DA and 2.2k DA. My personal best Kaiten was over 2.1k, but I've personally never broken 2.2k. This is ignoring mobs that take more slashing damage than normal.

I've never parsed against a good polearm SAM personally, so I can't tell you how kaiten and polearm builds compare from personal experience. I can say however I would expect it to be fairly close in a colibri merit camp due to piercing bonuses.
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
サーバ: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-05 21:15:49  
Unicorn.Ged said:
I would agree with you except for the fact that polearm is a waste for sam. I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell a weapon with a 240 skill can outdamage a weapon with a 276 skill. My gekko's(as a fully merrited taru) average 1.1k on birds where my penta thrusts average about 800. There is no contest. And if you are actually dumb enough to merit polearm on a sam just for xp parties which dont count for anything in the bigger spectrum of things, then you just wasted merits on a useless weapon unless you have drg. If you are a sam and have to do piercing then lv rng to 37 and sidewinder. However you have to have about 70 r.acc for this to be even considered so again why wast all that time and money when you could just merit your GK and own everyones dmg cept rng and good drg in parties.

Very stupid post...

Merit parties account for the post-75 progression of your jobs, which is well...the rest of the *** game. Unless you're gimping your jobs and not fully meriting them. I don't know why folks act like merits are so unimportant when you spend so much time doing them, and when they help out so much.

Anyways, lose the /nin. Get proper buffs from your brd + cor (none of that sam roll ***), get a good ws set for penta, and you'll change your mind. Penta rapes gekko on birds.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-05 21:29:04  
Quote:
I've never parsed against a good polearm SAM personally,
Holla at ya boy
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-05 21:37:20  
sheesh just use the edit button
 Alexander.Helder
サーバ: Alexander
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 21:43:23  
I was gonna post about to penta in meripo you have to have a penta set, and its kinda hard to get and alot of sams dont have it, but i kept messing up lol.

on another note got bhaidate today so I will try penta again <.<
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-05 21:50:01  
From my Polearm TP set I only switch from Dusk gloves > Okote, Walahra Turban > Shura Kabuto, Swift Belt > Potent Belt (Or that new one from the past), and perhaps Sniper's > Flame depending on what you're acc is like. This is a pretty easy build to work from scratch with, you could over time add Merman's Earring and other pieces but above is a good easy start. ^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-05 21:53:30  
Alexander.Helder said:
I was gonna post about to penta in meripo you have to have a penta set, and its kinda hard to get and alot of sams dont have it, but i kept messing up lol.

on another note got bhaidate today so I will try penta again <.<
Fairy.Vegetto said:
sheesh just use the edit button
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 21:54:22  
I was thinking Osode or NQ hauby, okotes, rajas, woodsman, shura kabuta, chivy (until shadow gorget) brutal, bushi???, foragers, life belt(str+1) bhaidate, hachiman feet.

I have that gear so I was wondering if that would be my best bet? i dont have any polearm merits so I think my GK would still do more DMG not to mention SC DMG.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-05 21:56:16  
NQ Hauby beats the pants of Osode on Penta Thrust as ACC is the key here, the WS modifiers are minimal anyway, and the ACC and ATK from Hauby is too great not to use.

My WS set..

Engetsuto/Pole Grip/Tiphia Sting
Shura Kabuto/PCC/Brutal/Mermans
Hauby +1/Okote/Rajas/Flame Ring
Cuchulain/Potent/Byakko's/Hachiman Sune-ate
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 21:58:02  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
NQ Hauby beats the pants of Osode on Penta Thrust as ACC is the key here, the WS modifiers are minimal anyway, and the ACC and ATK from Hauby is too great not to use.

yea thats what I was thinking, wasnt sure how much the mod on osode would affect it.
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 21:58:58  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:

I really should get rutter sabatons for penta though.
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 22:00:35  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:

My WS set..

Engetsuto/Pole Grip/Tiphia Sting
Shura Kabuto/PCC/Brutal/Mermans
Hauby 1/Okote/Rajas/Flame Ring
Cuchulain/Potent/Byakko's/Hachiman Sune-ate

This isnt super far off from what I use, PCC, Hauby+1 and cuchys would be pretty big though.

How much dmg you do normally? You have any polearm merits?
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-05 22:03:35  
Yes Rutter's are good but I use Hachiman to ensure I keep my 5hit build. I've never really worked out an average WS but SAM/WAR with Berserk I can hit 2300 (Maybe 1500 AVG)providing I have ATK buffs.

8/8 Polearm merits also.

Edit: Currently with this build I'm yet to be outparsed by a DRG, but not run any tests in a while.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-05 22:04:09  
Needs less PCC and more Shadow Gorget. Also quit goddamn post spamming, it's annoying to read.
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-05 22:08:28  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Yes Rutter's are good but I use Hachiman to ensure I keep my 5hit build. I've never really worked out an average WS but SAM/WAR with Berserk I can hit 2300 (Maybe 1500 AVG)providing I have ATK buffs.

8/8 Polearm merits also.

HMMMMM yea i guess if you don't /WAR it might not be worth it because of berserk.

true hachiman might be better off in the end.

I guess once I finish ice acc on RDM and my last 2 overwhelm ill be done RDM and SAM to a well merited level then I can start on polearm. I only have 2 jobs so I dont have that much stuff to merit.