After 259 Years Noone Will Listen To 50 Cent, Madonna, Pink Floyd, MJ, Fall Out Boy Etc, Yet..

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » After 259 years noone will listen to 50 cent, madonna, pink floyd, MJ, fall out boy etc, yet..
After 259 years noone will listen to 50 cent, madonna, pink floyd, MJ, fall out boy etc, yet..
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-17 18:26:32  
Helsmire said:
How often do the words of a song make you stop and think?
I'm sure even the "slap a hoe, slap a hoe" kind of music makes people stop and think.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-17 18:27:43  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Helsmire said:
I'm sure even the "slap a hoe, slap a hoe" kind of music makes people stop and think.
Yeah think about slapping a hoe! /highfive
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-17 18:37:47  
Helsmire said:
Not often :( On the other hand, about half the stuff in my library is instrumental so it's not as bad as that might first seem. Good music will always be out there if you know where to look.
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-17 18:57:25  
Diabolos.Ghlin said:
why do i care about some ugly chinee playing on her fiddle...

50 cent was shot 9 times and lived.

I really wanna be nice and assume you're just trolling.

Since when does being shot and surviving = being able to make good music? I definitely couldn't see 50 Cent's music being around hundreds of years later. If anything, it'd be used to mock music these days, if you ask me.

If I want to listen to any rap, I'll go backwards for better rap, not the current stuff. Regarding whether rap should be actually considered music, I'd say the older stuff, up to mid-90s, when 2Pac and Biggie were around, was as far as it went to be good. After that, it was downhill.

Regarding the OP, I didn't really learn to like the older music until I took band in high school. It's just something about it that doesn't compare to music these days. At the end of the day, I much rather prefer that type than anything else.
サーバ: Remora
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-12-17 19:08:21  
"How often do you hear something written in 5/4 or 12/8 time signature?"

rofl very rarely because it sounds HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. it sounds like what youre saying is you would rather have something be popular because its pretentious rather than catchy
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-12-17 19:16:59  
classic!

edit: meh wont let me embed it D:
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-17 20:11:41  
Remora.Hackstealandbot said:

rofl very rarely because it sounds HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. it sounds like what youre saying is you would rather have something be popular because its pretentious rather than catchy
Time signatures do not pretension make. The point was that so much music out there is boring and formulaic rather than creative.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-17 20:14:46  
And if everyone did that you'd just say the same thing. You don't have to go way out of your way to be different to be creative. In fact that would be sorta uncreative really
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-17 20:17:21  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
And if everyone did that you'd just say the same thing. You don't have to go way out of your way to be different to be creative. In fact that would be sorta uncreative really
Well yeah, but you're missing the point from the other side >.>;
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-17 23:42:03  
Helsmire said:
How often do you hear something written in 5/4 or 12/8 time signature?
Actually, I've played both on the drums. XD Goes with playing a lot of music at church. 5/4 songs were hymns, and they weren't so bad, but there's essentially no emphasis other than the 1st downbeat.

12/8--Shiiiit, that was crazy @_@ It was during a Christmas concert AND a meter change in the middle of a song; both the pianist and I had to keep very good eye contact during the whole thing. It's not as bad as 5/4, though--it's basically playing 6/8 twice as fast.

That being said, I'm just a huge fan of any sort of music. Especially if I can drum to it. :D
 Remora.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-12-17 23:46:01  
o.o Anye is a fellow drummer?!
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-12-18 00:02:36  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Time signatures do not pretension make. The point was that so much music out there is boring and formulaic rather than creative.

take math rock for example, they do odd time signatures just for the sake of being different... it doesnt make it good it just makes it different
 Valefor.Helsmire
サーバ: Valefor
user: Helsmire
By Valefor.Helsmire 2009-12-18 00:11:15  

Edit: finally got it to embed >.<

I present to you a song done in 12/8 time, that is rather quite catchy and well constructed.

I have been a musician for years, playing trumpet in concert bands throughout middle and high school as well as college, also playing guitar in jazz band ensemble through high school. Pretentious? No, just mere pointing out lack of creativity and willingness to write and think outside the box.

As far as playing a song in 12/8 time it's not a matter of counting to twelve, as it more of playing every beat as a triplet note
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-18 00:12:07  
take math rock for example, they do odd time signatures just for the sake of being different... it doesnt make it good it just makes it different
They also do unusual progressions and chords, irregular structures, etc. That still doesn't automatically make it pretentious. It's part of the style, it by definition would not be math rock without these characteristics. Nothing you said above is false beyond perhaps the assertion that it's only done to be different (do what you love rather than doing something different than what you despise), but neither is it particularly worth noting as it's self-evident. I could say the same thing with jazz and note the I-ii-V-I and other common progressions in use over I-IV-V-I, for example. It doesn't make it good, it just makes it different. At least there's an element of creativity in most of both examples though...
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 00:49:16  
Remora.Dubont said:
o.o Anye is a fellow drummer?!
Er, well.... I play drums mainly, but started on piano first (now mainly for Final Fantasy piano collections, though).... Sing (melody and harmony) and play guitar and a little bass, too--all for church.
Valefor.Helsmire said:
As far as playing a song in 12/8 time it's not a matter of counting to twelve, as it more of playing every beat as a triplet note
True! :) It's just "faster" if the meter changes from 4/4 to 12/8 without changing tempo. :<
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I could say the same thing with jazz and note the I-ii-V-I and other common progressions in use over I-IV-V-I, for example. It doesn't make it good, it just makes it different. At least there's an element of creativity in most of both examples though...
Very true; I've seen a LOT of common chord progressions throughout musical history, even the EXTREMELY common I-V-vi-iii-IV-I-IV-V from Pachebel's Canon in D is used A LOT--I think I've seen a comedian illustrate this before. XD

For me, even if I'm aware of the musical reiterations, even if it's soooo corny but still evokes some emotion from my softer side, I'll still acknowledge it as good music. :3