フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Yet another SAM gear advice thread
Yet another SAM gear advice thread
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Shiva.Brisk
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Lowell
By Shiva.Brisk 2009-12-24 19:33:22  
Ok so my LS is giving me a hard time on my new sam so I was wondering what I should be wearing for fulltime. Currently I have the ACP body with ACC+10 and Double Attack+2 which seems like a good TP piece for over time damage and they tell me I should wear a Hauby or Hauby +1 for the att and WS with it as well because it's better than my Hachiman Domaru. The second item is my Forager's Mantle and Smilodon +1 which they say I should just throw out and full time Forager's. Now I may not have played SAM for very long but I could at least think for 1 hit weapon skills stacking STR and decent acc is enough for WS gear right? Some expert advice would be great.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-12-24 19:39:03  
/breaklinkshell
[+]
 Shiva.Tadieal
user: Tadieal
By Shiva.Tadieal 2009-12-24 19:39:25  
Brisk i would suggest that ppl in your ls know what they are talking about. Why not give it a shot and try it both ways? :p.
 Shiva.Brisk
user: Lowell
By Shiva.Brisk 2009-12-24 19:43:55  
Here is my TP set which I hope to have soon when I get Haidate

And here is my WS set currently, again - the Haidate

Not the best but this is what im thinking so far. Hope this gives a better idea
By Rangappa 2009-12-24 19:50:44  
pretty sure forager's is main time thing unless you have like cerb+1 or whatever, next id shoot for is osode and af+1 hands or alky for ws. sea gorgets make a noticeable difference too. as far as hauby and +1 vs. your nuevo, hauby wins, if ya dont believe me go parse it on birds or something not too stressful, or you could just take a lot of peoples word on it >.> anyway hope that helps a bit. sam POWA
 Siren.Stewie
サーバ: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2009-12-24 19:52:40  
Reaugment your body with 4 sTP + 10 ACC, the rest of your gear is fine.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 19:57:43  
Siren.Stewie said:
Reaugment your body with 4 sTP 10 ACC, the rest of your gear is fine.
This. You don't have a 6-hit at the moment and that or Rose Strap with a Haubergeon is a great way to go about getting it. Hauby v Domaru and Smilo +1 v Forager's on WS varies, lower level mobs you'll be pDIF capped so the attack on Haubergeon and Forager's won't help but as you move into HNM type mobs that's no longer true and the Attack starts to become worthwhile again.
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-24 20:32:39  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Siren.Stewie said:
Reaugment your body with 4 sTP 10 ACC, the rest of your gear is fine.
This. You don't have a 6-hit at the moment and that or Rose Strap with a Haubergeon is a great way to go about getting it. Hauby v Domaru and Smilo 1 v Forager's on WS varies, lower level mobs you'll be pDIF capped so the attack on Haubergeon and Forager's won't help but as you move into HNM type mobs that's no longer true and the Attack starts to become worthwhile again.

With 5/5 Store TP merits that's true, I didn't see if he had that or not, I'm just gonna assume he does. If not, he'll want to change gear slightly.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 20:45:56  
Aye, I was assuming 5/5 STP merits with that.
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-24 21:27:59  
Yeah I agree /breaklinkshell

1.) Hauby full time is ***-tarded- ACP is alot alot better than Haub for TP gain.

2.) If you don't have osode ... Hachiman is fine for WS

3.)Forgers Full time ONLY if you're out of gear swapping macro space Like I was. Cerb Mantle better fulltime if you go /thf to a lot of endgame.

4.) Get some damn Gorgets to replace that nasty neck piece

5.) Hachiman kote+1 over dusk IMO
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 21:35:02  
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:
1.) Hauby full time is ***-tarded- ACP is alot alot better than Haub for TP gain.
And if you've a better use for the ACP body?

Quote:
In this case, I'm pretty sure it's needed to maintain 6-hit either way (once he re-augments into ACC/STP).

Quote:
3.)Forgers Full time ONLY if you're out of gear swapping macro space Like I was. Cerb Mantle better fulltime if you go /thf to a lot of endgame.
What? In comparison to Smilo +1, Forager's is the superior TP item and better for WS on anything stronger than merit/limbus/einherjhar mobs, especially if you're not highly buffed. Against Cerb NQ, the advantages of /THF are situational and should not be build around for a fulltime gear choice as a result.

Quote:
Agreed, you could use some Sea gorgets.

Quote:
5.) Hachiman kote 1 over dusk IMO
*** no. I've done the math on this way too many goddamn times. Rose/Rajas/Brutal/Ecphoria with the first 3 fulltimed beats the ***out of a Hachi build, using an ACC/STP ACP body and WSing in Domaru accomplishes the same task handily and should perform even better as you're keeping your DA from Pole Grip.
[+]
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-24 21:40:16  
I guess you're not realizing how little ATTK effects SAM and how 3% haste is < to Store tp +9.. I don;t know you're haste setup but relying on 3% is nothing to STP. I've tested . Thanks
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 21:41:32  
RE: Attack: You can't read or you don't understand pDIF, depending on which portion of my post you were referring to.

RE: STP: Both setups have a 6-hit. Go away.

EDIT: Actually, I explained when Attack is and isn't useful in... two posts in this thread. Hmm. Nevermind, you just can't read.
[+]
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-24 21:43:28  
No u
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-12-24 21:55:11  
Ashitaka, you're wrong. The 20% haste build (read: Rajas, Brutal, Ecphoria, Rose Strap) beats every other non-usukane build there is. Either you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, or trolling. It'd better be the latter. Stop *** with the OP either way.

OP: Try to use this setup: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=77700

I used this before I obtained Usukane. It's a wonderful set, and I'd recommend it over any ***-tastic Hachi build. It also allows you to WS in full STR, everywhere you can pack it in, as long as you fulltime Rajas/Brutal. This was actually my WS set, so you can see the two combined: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=103530

Please don't listen to any trolls in here, I assure you this is the way to go. If you don't want to use a Haubergeon (Please god use a Haub, it's better than ACP, and nearly free anymore...), do NOT use Askar Korazin for your Store TP needs on a body piece. The lack of accuracy is terrible. You'll end up in a "LOLSAM" pic thread before long, trust me. If you insist on ACP body, get sTP+4/ACC+10 augments on it over anything else.
 Hades.Stefanos
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-24 22:09:42  
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:

Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 22:16:43  
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:
Stuff

Using an Axe Grip :(

Both are 6 hit so the Store TP might as well be Store TP + 0.
 Alexander.Helder
サーバ: Alexander
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-24 22:19:49  
Shiva.Brisk said:
Ok so my LS is giving me a hard time on my new sam so I was wondering what I should be wearing for fulltime. Currently I have the ACP body with ACC 10 and Double Attack 2 which seems like a good TP piece for over time damage and they tell me I should wear a Hauby or Hauby 1 for the att and WS with it as well because it's better than my Hachiman Domaru. The second item is my Forager's Mantle and Smilodon 1 which they say I should just throw out and full time Forager's. Now I may not have played SAM for very long but I could at least think for 1 hit weapon skills stacking STR and decent acc is enough for WS gear right? Some expert advice would be great.

This is what I use for TP

This is what I use for WS

for TP im missing PCC for neck otherwise im fine
for WS im missing nothing really Im elvan so I already got a shitload STR I can break most monsters defence and I don't HNM so i prefer 15 att from foragers then 2 str from smilodens.

otherwise what i have is generally considered pre-usukane perfect gear except for +1's and PCC
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-24 22:23:23  
This is what I use for penta

However I am missing a bit of gear and polearm merits would be huge. however I do pretty good in meripo's with brd giving acc and att, more then 1K consistatly with ACC food doing like 1.2k easy.

like I said though a bit of gear missing. Shadow gorget being a major missing gear piece.

Also working a virtuoso belt for some more umph.
 Pandemonium.Cipher
user: Cipher
By Pandemonium.Cipher 2009-12-24 22:27:00  
Honestly gettin rid of Smi +1 for ws and the hauby vs hach? really? Aint no way anyone in your ls has a full time SAM. On one hit WS u want to stack as much STR as you can. Hauby is great for TP dont ws in it tho, Hach Domaru is alot better for Ws. I personally use Cerb for tp and ws in smioldon, i dont have access to haidate and i use Cerb on my pld as well so its a ez investment for me vs foragers. But i agree with the others sounds like your ls doesnt have alot of sams.
 Odin.Ahligieri
サーバ: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-24 22:28:07  
You'd actually want the atk if you're doing HNM, smilo if you're doing merit lvl stuff, if I'm not mistaken.
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-12-24 22:30:47  
In regards to Smilodon +1, it's actually better to use Forager's or Cerb+1 for Yuki and Kasha, but Gekko has a slightly higher attack boost in comparison to the other two, and on most mobs you'll be just fine using Smilo+1.
 Hades.Exion
By Hades.Exion 2009-12-24 22:31:19  
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:

1) Hauby +1 full time is far superior to ACP body, NQ hauby is on parse
2) Hauby +1 is better than osode for weaponskill unless /thf. Domaru is not fine
5) yes
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 22:32:21  
Alexander.Helder said:
otherwise what i have is generally considered pre-usukane perfect gear except for 1's and PCC
>.>

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Rose/Rajas/Brutal/Ecphoria with the first 3 fulltimed beats the ***out of a Hachi build.
Pandemonium.Vincentius said:
The 20% haste build (read: Rajas, Brutal, Ecphoria, Rose Strap) beats every other non-usukane build there is.

aaaaaand...

Quote:
However I am missing a bit of gear and polearm merits would be huge. however I do pretty good in meripo's with brd giving acc and att, more then 1K consistatly with ACC food doing like 1.2k easy.
What?

March/March and pop Sushi like a boss. Min/Min if we're talking about a second BRD here unless you're all sushi poppers and could swap to Mithkabobs, in which case you're doing it right (ie March/March/Min/Mad/Mithkabobs).
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 22:33:30  
Hades.Exion said:
2) Hauby 1 is better than osode for weaponskill unless /thf. Domaru is not fine
Domaru for WS is very much fine considering they need the STP from it to maintain 6-hit unless they go the Rose route.
 Siren.Stewie
サーバ: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2009-12-24 22:33:33  
Hades.Exion said:
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:

1) Hauby 1 full time is far superior to ACP body, NQ hauby is on parse
5) yes

1) No.
2) Gekko/Yuki/Kasha get a huge accuracy bonus innately, you're wrong.
5) Learn the formulas or ->

Why do you tp in Ace's Helm?
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-12-24 22:36:37  
Haub+1 is crap for WS in comparison to Osode. 1-hit WS get an INSANE accuracy bonus to the point of capping you on almost anything. And no, NQ haub is better than ACP body, unless you get ACC/ATT on ACP, which puts them equal.

Trollllllllllllllllll.
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-24 22:37:09  
Siren.Stewie said:
Hades.Exion said:
Leviathan.Ashitaka said:

1) Hauby 1 full time is far superior to ACP body, NQ hauby is on parse
5) yes

1) No.
2) Gekko/Yuki/Kasha get a huge accuracy bonus innately, you're wrong.
5) Learn the formulas or ->

Why do you tp in Ace's Helm?

did you just say why do you tp in ace's helm?

7 acc or 1% haste. easy choice IMO

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-24 22:39:42  
Indeed it is.

Walahra wins when:

-Acc capped regardless of Haste
-High Haste and high hitrate

Ace's wins when:

-Low Haste, uncapped hitrate

Pizza exists. There aren't many situations that justify Ace's anymore.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7