users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Facebook: Privacy is over
Facebook: Privacy is over
 Titan.Marzbarz
サーバ: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: MarzBarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-06 03:58:40  
Well the best way to prevent something if you're truly afraid is to just not post it in the first place.
 Seraph.Pikachu
サーバ: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-02-06 04:01:42  
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Seraph.Pikachu said:
paranoid people are too paranoid

Stupid people are very stupid.
NO U!
 Titan.Marzbarz
サーバ: Titan
user: MarzBarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-06 04:02:17  
Seraph.Pikachu said:
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Seraph.Pikachu said:

Stupid people are very stupid.
NO U!
[+]
 Leviathan.Stunx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Bungie
By Leviathan.Stunx 2010-02-06 04:04:15  
I think the OP had a "stupid" moment.. or just doesnt know how to comprehend "user information would now by default be public."...

its just a settings option away from being set to private, and doesnt mean it will reset older members settings to public.

/facepalm, ***
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-06 04:06:13  
Seraph.Pikachu said:
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2010-02-06 04:12:00  
Quote:
Besides, wouldn't it completely defeat the purpose of facebook to begin with if you were extremely private with your information?
When facebook started it was very private. You couldn't get in unless you were oriented with a university. Then they opened it up to outsiders.
 Caitsith.Jadi
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-02-06 04:15:35  
Leviathan.Stunx said:
I think the OP had a "stupid" moment.. or just doesnt know how to comprehend "user information would now by default be public."...

its just a settings option away from being set to private, and doesnt mean it will reset older members settings to public.

/facepalm, ***

Not sure facebook is really as big of a danger then the government tho.. those *** care so little about protecting your privacy they sometimes post your social security numbers on their websites, they leave documents and private information all over the place and they always ask for more information than they need on every one of their idiotic forms.

In the privacy arms race Facebook can't hold a candle to government.
 Ifrit.Myori
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Myori
By Ifrit.Myori 2010-02-06 04:20:36  
Seraph.Pikachu said:
Who Told you that!? Who have you been talking to? O_O
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-06 04:33:25  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Seraph.Pikachu said:
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-06 05:43:01  
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Leviathan.Stunx said:
I think the OP had a "stupid" moment.. or just doesnt know how to comprehend "user information would now by default be public."... its just a settings option away from being set to private, and doesnt mean it will reset older members settings to public. /facepalm, ***
Not sure facebook is really as big of a danger then the government tho.. those *** care so little about protecting your privacy they sometimes post your social security numbers on their websites, they leave documents and private information all over the place and they always ask for more information than they need on every one of their idiotic forms.

In the privacy arms race Facebook can't hold a candle to government.
Various companies are worse. They often sell the info you give them to any number of people from other similar companies (after all you'd wan

t similar products) to tele-marketers or any random person. Though more expensive for you and I since we don't buy in the hundreds of thousands lol. If you have any monthly bill with your name on it chances are without trying that hard anyone could get all the info you sent to that company minus CC info. If you have there cell number you can even with most phones today find out there gps location right now assuming its on.

This facebook thing is lol compared to that
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-06 06:15:26  
I use Facebook to talk to actual people I know. From school and special exceptions from games. If we only have like...5 mutual friends and I've never seen you before: Deny.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-02-06 06:20:15  
Leviathan.Stunx said:
I think the OP had a "stupid" moment.. or just doesnt know how to comprehend "user information would now by default be public."... its just a settings option away from being set to private, and doesnt mean it will reset older members settings to public. /facepalm, ***

It did actually set long term users settings to public, I had to go and set mine back to private......this was before I got pissed off with it all and deleted my FB page 2 weeks ago :-)
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-02-06 06:43:01  
"Facebook is evil" told u !!!
Put a freakin huge montain of money under anyone noze and they'll give up, that was called...
Saw it came since they changed contract user without notice anyone...
[+]
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-02-06 08:02:47  
True, but you can meet a lot of cool people !!!
 Bismarck.Ranu
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ranu
By Bismarck.Ranu 2010-02-06 08:21:46  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Various companies are worse. They often sell the info you give them to any number of people from other similar companies (after all you'd wan

t similar products) to tele-marketers or any random person. Though more expensive for you and I since we don't buy in the hundreds of thousands lol. If you have any monthly bill with your name on it chances are without trying that hard anyone could get all the info you sent to that company minus CC info. If you have there cell number you can even with most phones today find out there gps location right now assuming its on.

This facebook thing is lol compared to that

I hate to break it to you, but those companies that sell your info to other companies have to have your permission to do so, it is illegal otherwise. Just most people skim over the ToS, and allow those companies to do so. If you actually read the ToS of these companies agreements, you'd see it in the print if they plan to sell your info or not and in what capacity.

True, some of them do it anyways. But it only takes one person to catch them doing it for them to get their *** handed to them over it.

And the GPS thing? Umm, it's a little more complicated then just that. I know you see it in alot of movies nowadays, but don't believe the hype. >.>
 Bahamut.Oblivion
サーバ: Bahamut
user: remnant
By Bahamut.Oblivion 2010-02-06 08:36:39  
disabled my facebook account a few months ago--no plans to sign on in the foreseeable future.

'social networking' is zzz.