users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Thoughts on BST Jug Pets
Thoughts on BST Jug Pets
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-04-19 03:09:41  
I recently dinged 75 on BST and was wondering about the jug pets since the last update made them generally more available, excluding Sun Water (cactuar jug pet). What are your thoughts on the jug pets? Specifically:

Funguar Familiar (Funguar)
Courier Carrie (Crab)
Homunculus (Black Mandragora)
Ambusher Allie (Eft)
Panzer Galahad (Beetle)
Lifedrinker Lars (Diremite)
Chopsuey Chucky (Antlion)
Shellbuster Orob (Fly)
Coldblood Como (Lizard)
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-19 04:23:20  
These are my 3 favs. Haven't had a lot of experience with the rest. Courier Carrie doesn't get a lot of face time with me anymore, with Beast Affinity, Funguar is a much better alternative.

Funguar (Damage Dealer)
Pro:
-Strong TP
-Cheap and Available at NPC
-Respectable Defense and Extreme Offense
Con:
-Requires Max Beast Affinity
-Trips to Kazham to restock can be irritating
-Doesn't have a cool name.

Panzer Galahad (Tank)
Pro:
-High Defense
-Debuff's Evasion at will
Con:
-Very Expensive

LifeDrinker Lars (Enfeebler)
Pro:
-Powerful Fighter
-Moderate Price
-Powerful Slow effect
Con:
-Weak Defense
-More expensive than Funguar
[+]
By Odin.Equivocator 2010-04-19 04:47:47  
LDL and PG should be much cheaper now thanks to the 'new' (100% HQ) synergy recipes.

No reason to use CC for anything now, unless your really cheap, in which case (with 5/5 BA) Fungur is probably better anyway. If you dont have 5/5 BA and are really, really Cheap. CC works.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-19 04:56:37  
Oh, and there's a niche use for Coldblood Como. Summon him before a King Vineagaroon Zerg and Killer Instinct the DRK party to take him down twice as fast. Same principal works with Dark Ixion and Funguar pet, but Good luck getting someone to buy that story and let a BST near Dark Ixion, though a Max Killer Instinct (5min with 1min duration) is actually quite a boost to a Ranger party.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-04-19 05:28:20  
I really only use Diremites, Antlions, Tigers and Crabs (all HQ) just depends on the situation.

Diremite is good for me when I need stuff to die fast, same as Antlion, Tigers and Crabs are more or less when I'm just farming or messing around, depending on the mobs I'm fighting, if it's something that has high defense but not so good offense, I'll use Tiger, if it's the opposite or I'm unsure about the mob, I'll use Crab.

I also keep Crabs on me at all times for those times when I need an extra minute or two before I can charm some other mob (repops or waiting for the one I just let go to heal)

I don't really mess with any of the others, I've tried them all, didn't like any of the others for one reason or another (abysmal defense/offense, no decent TP moves, etc, Cactus is just too *** expensive, but being able to manually select 1,000 needles has it's uses.)
[+]
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
サーバ: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-04-19 11:45:04  
Thanks for the replies!

I've tried using the HQ efts, but they just have too weak of a defense to even bother and their TP moves aren't great.

Just another quick question or two:
Would you rate the HQ beetles as having about the same amount of HP and defense of an HQ crab?

and

I see that the HQ tiger caps at 73 with 5/5 Beast Affinity, is the 2 level difference very noticeable? Or does it do as well as the other jugs?

Also if anyone has info on the black mandy that'd be awesome! The times I've used him I noticed he has a pretty sick attack speed, but apart from that there really isn't anything unless I'm missing something.
By Gaard 2010-04-19 20:54:36  
The difference is noticable, yes (even with relic hands on top of 5/5 affinity). Jugs are already kinda weak, as it is. You don't want a level disadvantage hurting you more

At 75, the tigers should only be used for kiting stuff (since they just outrun everything and don't really get hit). There's better pets for DD, as noted above.
[+]
 Unicorn.Rilu
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-04-22 11:40:21  
Fenrir.Omgwtftaru said:
Thanks for the replies! I've tried using the HQ efts, but they just have too weak of a defense to even bother and their TP moves aren't great. Just another quick question or two: Would you rate the HQ beetles as having about the same amount of HP and defense of an HQ crab? and I see that the HQ tiger caps at 73 with 5/5 Beast Affinity, is the 2 level difference very noticeable? Or does it do as well as the other jugs? Also if anyone has info on the black mandy that'd be awesome! The times I've used him I noticed he has a pretty sick attack speed, but apart from that there really isn't anything unless I'm missing something.

I believe though, with merits and AF2 hands, you can get HQ tiger to cap at 75, which makes it a viable option for damage.

Overall, I love jug pets, but sadly I kinda stick to Lifedrinker Lars and Courier Carrie (since I craft both of them). I think I could start to try different jug pets for different situations (ie. try the whole Ixion thing with Funguar pet - since we lowman ixion anyways (8-12 people) it wouldn't be hard to get into one of the DD parties to experiment.
 Cerberus.Ayr
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Ayr
By Cerberus.Ayr 2010-04-25 16:51:35  
CC's still your best bet for most stuff. Scissor Guard cuts a heap of dmg, and Bubble Curtain will cut incoming magic dmg by half. If you want a DD jug, go for Funguar (with merits and gloves) or Lars.