users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Help with Low MP SpellCast Rule
Help with Low MP SpellCast Rule
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: kbeezie
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 17:54:42  
Not really new to the job, though I only started up in late april. I just haven't invested much in P/M damage taken gear. Primarily because I've only recently discovered SpellCast, which as such your suggestions would be too tedious without SC.

There's also a number of things that can't just be bought like the rare/ex you mentioned. I haven't even gotten +2 sets yet (i.e.: 4/6 on stones of wieldance).

Looked up the prices on some of the stuff you can buy that you listed... rather pricey.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 17:56:55  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Serpentes boots are nice too if you can't afford gaiters or don't need movement speed.

In a PT, if you're getting aggro, one of the worse things to do is to be running, supporting mages hate that more than anything.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 17:58:00  
Leviathan.Haruhigumi said: »
Serpentes boots are nice too if you can't afford gaiters or don't need movement speed.

In a PT, if you're getting aggro, one of the worse things to do is to be running, supporting mages hate that more than anything.
I generally just warp and leave in a rage.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:01:48  
Not really new to the job, though I only started up in late april. I just haven't invested much in P/M damage taken gear. Primarily because I've only recently discovered SpellCast, which as such your suggestions would be too tedious without SC.

There's also a number of things that can't just be bought like the rare/ex you mentioned. I haven't even gotten +2 sets yet (i.e.: 4/6 on stones of wieldance).
Well like you said, you already have a Terra's staff, you just aren't using it apparently. Apollo's staff offers nothing in terms of idle sets. I'm not questioning the availability of the gear presented to you, I'm simply stating there are a lot of easy, cheap, efficient improvements. If you don't want to listen because you think you know what you're doing, that's fine, I can't make you. But based on what I've seen, you don't. I tried to say this in a way that didn't seem insulting, but you really seem quite novice to the job. I'm sorry, but that's what you're coming off as.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:04:36  
Cerberus.Wolfshadow said: »
Well like you said, you already have a Terra's staff, you just aren't using it apparently. Apollo's staff offers nothing in terms of idle sets. I'm not questioning the availability of the gear presented to you, I'm simply stating there are a lot of easy, cheap, efficient improvements. If you don't want to listen because you think you know what you're doing, that's fine, I can't make you. But based on what I've seen, you don't. I tried to say this in a way that didn't seem insulting, but you really seem quite novice to the job. I'm sorry, but that's what you're coming off as.

Seems any time someone tries to speak a tad more eloquently they're considered an ***, just what you seem to be perceiving me as.

I'm merely stating that some of your suggestions are far from 'cheap', and its not that I had discounted your suggestion to use the terra staff among others in idle state, you just assumed I did.

I'm new to spellcast, prior to that I wouldn't have considered most of your suggestions as it would be tedious to change out manually prior to discovering spellcast. So not really new to the job, just new to how it can be used with spellcast.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:14:07  

Seems any time someone tries to speak a tad more eloquently they're considered an ***, just what you seem to be perceiving me as.

I'm merely stating that some of your suggestions are far from 'cheap', and its not that I had discounted your suggestion to use the terra staff among others in idle state, you just assumed I did.
Who brought the way people type into this?

And the fact you're constantly deflecting leads me to believe you're either are outright ignoring any/all suggestions I made, or disregarding them quite nonchalantly as something of not great importance. I can't tell you how many times I've been saved by idling in pdt in comparison to your apollo's staff. I'm offering great advice, but you seem concerned on qualifying things not being brought to the table as an issue of great importance, like your HMP set, the situations in which you rest are very few and far between if you're playing the job correctly, and it usually benefits one more to save inventory space to prioritize enhancing the effects of your spells.

I'm saying there are multiple changes that can be made that would greatly improve your current sets that are very easy to make, but of course the very best will not be "cheap", it was simply an example of what one should be shooting for, and what one looks for in an idle set over other unimportant things like idling in MND or other bizarre choices.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:15:24  
Might have been better off just editing the spellcast and making the idle set include Terra's, and just see if s/he notices.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:16:23  

And the fact you're constantly deflecting leads me to believe you're either are outright ignoring any/all suggestions I made, or disregarding them quite non-chalantly as something of not great importance. I can't tell you how many times I've been saved by idling in pdt in comparison to your apollo's staff. I'm offering great advice, but you seem concerned on qualifying things not being brought to the table as an issue of great importance, like your HMP set, the situations in which you rest are very few and far between if you're playing the job correctly, and it usually benefits one more to save inventory space to prioritize enhancing the effects of your spells.

Oh yes holy master I shall read over all your advice as if it were doctrine... feel better now?
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:16:59  
Might have been better off just editing the spellcast and making the idle set include Terra's, and just see if s/he notices.

I had already done that, but apparently he'd feel better about himself had I acknowledged that I followed his advice.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:18:05  

I had already done that, but apparently he'd feel better about himself had I acknowledged that I followed his advice.
Sorry, was talking to Wolf.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:19:42  

My apologies for expecting the slightest amount of acknowledgment that you comprehend what I'm trying to get you to understand. For all I knew you were off to go cast some Blizzard IVs in some CHR gear while commenting on how advanced your hmp set is.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:20:24  

[+]
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:20:51  

My apologies for expecting the slightest amount of acknowledgment that you comprehend what I'm trying to get you to understand. For all I knew you were off to go cast some Blizzard IVs in some CHR gear while commenting on how advanced your hmp set is.

I'm still researching of course, but it seemed to be a mistake to try to engage in discussion. I should have just said I'll look into it and leave it at that, didn't expect you to be so hostile.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:23:01  
It's not hard to change "Apollo's" to "Terra's." And, it's not like you HAVE to listen, but what he's getting at is that the 20% PDT isn't harming you in anyway, especially if you use spellcast to swap staves appropriately anyways.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:24:43  
It's not hard to change "Apollo's" to "Terra's." And, it's not like you HAVE to listen, but what he's getting at is that the 20% PDT isn't harming you in anyway, especially if you use spellcast to swap staves appropriately anyways.

And I'm not saying it is harming either. I had already set it up in idle because it did indeed sound like a good idea. Just a lot of unnecessary hostility coming off him. And as you already said the appropriate mains are already being swapped based on the spell being cast.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:24:49  

^
I'm sorry if I came off as hostile, but you came off as uncaring about making pretty important improvements that cost you nothing at all
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:26:57  

^
I'm sorry if I came off as hostile, but you came off as uncaring about making pretty important improvements that cost you nothing at all

Be it language barrier or otherwise, I wasn't trying to come off as unemotional to your suggestions, I'm just doing multiple things at once. My "idle" set at the moment is probably the weakest set out of the bunch as I had not researched it much. I had only been using spellcast for about 2 days now, prior to that I usually had myself equipped for what I was going to be doing rather than worrying about idle sets since its usually a bother to requip before I attack something (bet it in macro or otherwise).

Right now I been concentrating on resting state then was going to look at what I could do for other states now that I have 80 slots on person. Though it would be great if there was a macro to grab stuff from mog sack or satchel.
 Lakshmi.Greggles
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-08-24 18:27:29  

And the fact you're constantly deflecting leads me to believe you're either are outright ignoring any/all suggestions I made, or disregarding them quite non-chalantly as something of not great importance. I can't tell you how many times I've been saved by idling in pdt in comparison to your apollo's staff. I'm offering great advice, but you seem concerned on qualifying things not being brought to the table as an issue of great importance, like your HMP set, the situations in which you rest are very few and far between if you're playing the job correctly, and it usually benefits one more to save inventory space to prioritize enhancing the effects of your spells.

Oh yes holy master I shall read over all your advice as if it were doctrine... feel better now?

You don't -have- to do it, but you'll notice improvements if you do -- especially now if you say it's not too tedious to make these changes, why not make the change?

Some of the changes aren't the cheapest(Umbra's cape, Hedgehog Bomb, Herald's Gaiters, for instance) But you don't need to have the absolute best set. You could use a combination of say Witchstone, Savant's Treatise and Phantom Tathlum to get the job done fairly well -- the MP and enmity from that slot won't kill you.

As for Umbra's Cape, you can solo Baobhan Sith in Gustav Tunnel if you pull him up to the Bune area to kite. He always drops at least one cheviot cloth, with a chance to get up to 4. You can then get the cape crafted. Having the NQ won't kill you in this case either if you have a decent enough PDT set.

Herald's Gaiters. You don't need these per se. Obviously, you want to shoot for this, but you can -easily- make do with just having Desert Boots, which are 40k. Perpetuance + Sandstorm makes sure you don't have to recast that often, and casting a quick spell once every 3 minutes isn't -that- bad.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:28:38  

^

Be it language barrier or otherwise, I wasn't trying to come off as unemotional to your suggestions, I'm just doing multiple things at once. My "idle" set at the moment is probably the weakest set out of the bunch as I had not researched it much. I had only been using spellcast for about 2 days now, prior to that I usually had myself equipped for what I was going to be doing rather than worrying about idle sets.
Idle set is really important for a mage, being able to recover ~100 MP in a minute is pretty amazing. And taking less damage while doing so.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:31:34  
Idle set is really important for a mage, being able to recover ~100 MP in a minute is pretty amazing. And taking less damage while doing so.

Are you confusing Resting with Idle? Unless of course I missed something (which seems to be the case). Also for clarification I'm looking into idle setups now that I have Spellcast at my disposal.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:33:19  

Are you confusing Resting with Idle? Unless of course I missed something (which seems to be the case). Also for clarification I'm looking into idle setups now that I have Spellcast at my disposal.
Nope. 5MP a tick, a tick is roughly every 3 seconds. 60 seconds in a minute, 60/3 = 20. 20 ticks x 5 per tick = 100 MP
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-24 18:33:24  

He's not
Idle is that important, I personally am able to get up to 13mp/tic using sublimation on my SCH outside of abyssea with no other sources of refresh, this adds up very quickly, idle is probably one of the most important sets you can make
 Lakshmi.Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-08-24 18:36:48  

He's not
Idle is that important, I personally am able to get up to 13mp/tic using sublimation on my SCH outside of abyssea with no other sources of refresh, this adds up very quickly, idle is probably one of the most important sets you can make

A good idle set has PDT-40ish% as well(Staff, Two -5% PDT rings, Cape, Torque = 40~41% during the day, 45-48% at night). This translates to taking 120ish damage instead of 200. Makes a big difference on hard hitting NMs where you'd get hit for say 200ish instead of 400 -- Idle sets are quite important.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:36:55  
He's not

Oh with sublimation, thought you were talking just raw latent "refresh" effect. The only thing I have that would enhance sublimation is the Scholar's Motorboard. I haven't been able to get a Siriti or Savant's earring yet, they're planned, but it'll be a while.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:37:53  
He's not

Oh with sublimation, thought you were talking just raw latent "refresh" effect. The only thing I have that would enhance sublimation is the Scholar's Motorboard. I haven't been able to get a Siriti or Savant's earring yet, they're planned, but it'll be a while.
I wasn't even talking with sublimation. 13 a tick would still be around 260 MP every minute.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:43:15  
He's not

I wasn't even talking with sublimation. 13 a tick would still be around 260 MP every minute.
When I get more than about 80k I'll look into it. I used to have an ixiom cloak, but course I'd lose whatever head piece I could wear.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:45:41  
Most of the things in the set Wolf posted earlier are pretty cheap or free, barring the herald's gaiters. You could even get by with a NQ cape if you really needed. Also, don't worry about ixion cloak if you are working on the +2 body. If I remember right, the AF3 body is +2 MP a tick.

Edit: Ha, beat you to 2K wolf.
 Leviathan.Haruhigumi
By Leviathan.Haruhigumi 2011-08-24 18:47:54  
Most of the things in the set Wolf posted earlier are pretty cheap or free, barring the herald's gaiters. You could even get by with a NQ cape if you really needed.

From what I could see the Rare/Ex stuff are in areas I haven't even completed yet. For example A Shantotto Accession is the only expansion I've completed, I'm only on 5-3 on CoP and barely started Zilart, and done next to nothing over in Whitegate. So yes obtainable, it'll just take time to acquire in the same way Savant's earring and Siriti is free, if I can beat the NMs often enough. And when I only have 80k currently something that cost 400k isn't exactly cheap.

PS: What's the NQ cape you speak of?
 Lakshmi.Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-08-24 18:47:56  
Most of the things in the set Wolf posted earlier are pretty cheap or free, barring the herald's gaiters. You could even get by with a NQ cape if you really needed. Also, don't worry about ixion cloak if you are working on the +2 body. If I remember right, the AF3 body is +2 MP a tick.

Body is 1mp/tick :(
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-24 18:49:32  
Lakshmi.Greggles said: »

Body is 1mp/tick :(
; ; Sorry, thought it was like the WHM one.

And the NQ cape I speak of is Cheviot, Umbra being the HQ one. And yes, the sublimation earring would be better than a PDT one while sublimation is active.