フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Weapons for PUP
Weapons for PUP
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2012-10-06 12:57:35  
Hi, im just leveling PUP and not including Empy/mythic what weapon would be a good starter, NM drop, bought or magian, one from each catagory would be nice please, so that i have a choice. thanks.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-06 13:06:18  
STR Magian
Brawny Adargas

Are really the only viable options outside of Mythic and Empyrean.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-06 13:07:46  
Just remember that PUP is starting out at a disadvantage so gimping it further with cruddy weapons is rubbing salt in a festering sore,
 Asura.Karbuncle
サーバ: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-10-06 13:16:45  
If you like the job a lot, and in turn, want to take it seriously, I'd suggest Vereth, Since they're not insane to obtain.

Brawny If you're just leveling it for fun.

Kenkon if you're insane about the job.
By sleepstudy 2012-10-10 15:43:06  
Kenkonken or BUST!
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-10-10 15:47:52  
Are the burritonachos not a viable option anymore? (That's what I used when I leveled pup to 99, I was super casual though)

Nevermind I looked at them vs Brawny, I can see how they would be better.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-10 22:50:45  
There's always Girru, no?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2012-10-11 16:22:01  
How many pairs of Girru are there across all servers? 5? Less?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-11 16:26:04  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
There's always Girru, no?
There's always ultra-rare Legion drops? For PUP?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-11 19:40:18  
who else is gonna use it
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Cortez
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: emerle
By Lakshmi.Cortez 2012-11-12 07:46:06  
You can make PUP very good with Mythic or decent with Verethragna. Without either of those 2 weapons, you will find your PUP pretty useless except for things you want to solo. In most cases, a NIN/DNC would be able to solo those things better.

A Sub par geared PUP will be comparitevely much worse than an equally sub par geared war or drk or sam. However, a PUP with 99 Mythhic, the sky is the limit.

I know you might doing it for the fun factor but everyone here has leveled a job for the fun factor knowing that they probably won't ever get good gear for it. You know how often people actually play that job after the first few weeks they get it to 99? Like never. If you can't take it to high end events, your not going to touch it. I suggest putting that same effort into one of your current jobs and make it better.
 Ragnarok.Bobdeezz
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: bobdeezz
By Ragnarok.Bobdeezz 2012-11-12 08:45:37  
sleepstudy said: »
Kenkonken or BUST!
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2012-11-12 18:12:23  
Lakshmi.Cortez said: »
You can make PUP very good with Mythic or decent with Verethragna. Without either of those 2 weapons, you will find your PUP pretty useless except for things you want to solo. In most cases, a NIN/DNC would be able to solo those things better.

A Sub par geared PUP will be comparitevely much worse than an equally sub par geared war or drk or sam. However, a PUP with 99 Mythhic, the sky is the limit.

I know you might doing it for the fun factor but everyone here has leveled a job for the fun factor knowing that they probably won't ever get good gear for it. You know how often people actually play that job after the first few weeks they get it to 99? Like never. If you can't take it to high end events, your not going to touch it. I suggest putting that same effort into one of your current jobs and make it better.

I disagree with a lot of this, but NIN is a better soloer than PUP, really? I can't think of anything that NIN can solo that PUP can't. PUP has higher evasion and Shell V/Haste/debuffs from automaton, it's a really solid solo job.

Puppetmaster isn't too bad to gear for the stuff that the job is good at- Dynamis, Abysea/old content soloing, stuff like that. If you can get Brawny Adargas or STR magian H2H, and you have access to Stringing Pummel/Shijin Spiral, that's a great start.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-11-12 18:21:43  
STR/ATT, VIT/PDT, and even the INT/petMAB ToM are pretty solid. Brawny Adargas, Metasoma Katars, and even the Ursa Majors are also amazing pup weapons.

Considering the OP said "aside from mythic/empy", i see far too many people where that's the only thing they offer as "suggestions other than mythic/empy".

Puppetmaster also shares roughly 90% of it's gear with mnk, and other light armor melee jobs, such as nin, thf, and the like, which makes it even easier to gear. If you don't have Shijin Spiral because your weaponskill merits are already maxed on on others, than Stringing Pummel will be your best friend.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [45 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2012-12-28 06:14:11  
If you're not interested in particular stats for your automaton then the two new Blut-something weapons added in the last patch (NQ and HQ) both are better than STR path TotM, Brawny Adargas and Metasoma Katars.
Factoring just pure master damage here, not other things like the utility of -PDT etc.

It actually comes very very very close to Verethragna 90 (without factoring in the ODD, of course difference increase once you factor that)
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2012-12-28 06:28:04  
Burattinaios are viable until something else comes along if you can obtain them. They're not horrible and pet regain is win for standing around time. (weakened, before besieged, etc).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [87 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Exaudis
By Asura.Exaudis 2013-03-25 10:24:59  
Has anyone gotten and used the pet magian H2H weapons? Specifically the Pet:Attack/Ranged Attack+22, Pet:MAB+11, and Pet:PDT-11% weapons. I already have verethragna and am looking for pet damage alternatives for fights where the PUP wouldn't want to engage(like in Walk of Echoes).
 Shiva.Spathaian
サーバ: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-03-25 10:32:51  
I'd skip the Pet:Attack/Ranged Attack ones simply because the automaton doesn't tend to have any problems with attack on mobs thanks to its attachments so the benefit is gonna be somewhat minimal.

Pet: MAB are going to be a nice increase to damage if you actually use your Spiritreaver but the situations for its use now adays are somewhat few and far between and in most cases you're better off using Valoredge or Sharpshot for a more steady damage output, in which case if you're really not going to be attacking with your pet I would probably go with the Pet:PDT- simply to help the little guy survive.

I'm also sure Burts, while not as strong as they used to be, are still a nice increase to damage if your Automaton is the only one engaged.

TLDR: Pet: Attack/Ratt, probably shouldn't waste your time.
Pet:MAB/PDT-, if you're really in situations where the use of these are applicable, good enough.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 11:31:18  
for "pet only" situations, yeah they are nice, like Spath said. In aby there is something wrong with DG (or at least I'm having issues with it), so pet pdt- might help. Also it'll help you hit that 87.5% total reduction anyways. Pet MAB claws are nice in situations like VW where your pet would die often anyways, just pop your pet, an ice or two, nuke and deact. It's good for situations like Pil where it's being kited and such.
 Shiva.Spathaian
サーバ: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-03-25 11:34:56  
People kite Pil? o.o
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 11:38:29  
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
People kite Pil? o.o

When ***goes arye. Maybe it's just lolOdin, but I see it go bad so often it hurts. But kited situations. Any kited situation, it applies to.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-03-25 12:36:39  
I would use the Blutkrallen if i didn't have verthragnas.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 12:39:08  
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I would use the Blutkrallen if i didn't have verthragnas.

I've been wondering about these, since they are so damn expensive. The HQ have -6% extra def down effect on them. I'm wondering if they are good DPS compared to vere on the spreadsheets. 18.5% def- (basically constantly) isn't too bad, considering the new adjustments to att:def coming up.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-25 12:40:23  
How do Blut help for pet only situations? He didn't ask about best damage h2h.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 12:42:05  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
How do Blut help for pet only situations? He didn't ask about best damage h2h.

I think blood was just adding that to the general discussion in the necro'd thread. It is the pup weapon thread, afterall.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-03-25 13:05:51  
If i'm going pup only, i'd probably take a couple of swing for the def down effect to proc, then back away slowly (read: gtfot) and let the pup continue to toss in extra damage.

Also, Eikechi got it right. It's still a viable pup weapon, especially for Stringing Pummel and Shijin Spiral.
[+]
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-03-25 13:36:52  
Kenkonken or GTFO!

j/k ^^
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-03-26 11:15:17  
Asura.Exaudis said: »
Has anyone gotten and used the pet magian H2H weapons? Specifically the Pet:Attack/Ranged Attack+22, Pet:MAB+11, and Pet:PDT-11% weapons. I already have verethragna and am looking for pet damage alternatives for fights where the PUP wouldn't want to engage(like in Walk of Echoes).

My wife and I have been working on some of these Magian H2H. I guess the first question is- what do you use your pet for? For pet-only stuff, we generally duo Valoredge + Sharpshot, with some exceptions. Best options for pet-only situations:

Valoredge- Kenkonken with AM3, Pet -PDT, Pet. Atk.
Sharpshot- Pet Atk., Burattinaios
Spiritreaver- Pet Matk.

We mostly do pet-only stuff in Abyssea, although we do sometimes use them outside (did ASA expansion with PUP + PUP back in January for instance). My opinion is that Pet -PDT is the most valuable, followed by Pet Atk. Burts are a lot less useful at 1TP/tick, and PUP has less Pet -DT gear than BST. There are some mobs that can really tear through VE, and you can use all the damage reduction for it that you can get for harder solos. For Sharpshot, it's more debatable. Ratk doesn't seem to make much of a difference with Armor Shatterer, but it helps regular shots a bit.
[+]
user: Turtles
By Odin.Screamingbabies 2013-04-02 08:45:54  
Quick question and i feel like already know the answer but...

lvl90 WoE h2h and victory smite
or
brawny and shijin spiral

which would be better overall?

(do not have pummel yet)
First Page 2