Farmers Almanac More Accurate Than Climate Science

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Farmers Almanac more accurate than climate science
Farmers Almanac more accurate than climate science
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-28 14:15:28  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
But, how old is the Earth?
Latest dating suggests approximately 4.4 billion years ago.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-02-28 14:16:30  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Bzzt. The correct answer was 6000 years old.

Checkmate, science dorks.
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-02-28 14:25:32  

You know, if you're going to use such reliable facts as that, you may as well be accurate. Given it is February 2014, the Earth is 6017 years and 5 months. I have a personal flaw in that I forget everyone's birthday, including that of the rock I cling to as it hurls through the aether, so I've forgotten what day in September, 4004 BC, that God's alarm clock went off.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-28 14:26:16  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Don't conflate skeptic with denier. The people in the article you and King linked are skeptics. They adhere to the idea that increased CO2 are warming the planet, but challenge the ability of current models to accurately predict it's extent.

A skeptic implies a greater understanding of the topic than you appear to have. You're a denier. That's why people laugh at you.

And in comes the hateful bigot to further perpetuate the hoax and argue against people who aren't really there. Skeptic became too legitimate a term to discredit (especially since the "professionals" keep getting it wrong), so thus "denier" was coined.

You're swinging at a figment of your imagination...
You're not skeptical about anything here. Any link, any information, any logic, any fact gets tossed aside with zero scrutiny on your part. That's not skepticism.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-28 14:26:22  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Don't conflate skeptic with denier. The people in the article you and King linked are skeptics. They adhere to the idea that increased CO2 are warming the planet, but challenge the ability of current models to accurately predict it's extent.

A skeptic implies a greater understanding of the topic than you appear to have. You're a denier. That's why people laugh at you.

And in comes the hateful bigot to further perpetuate the hoax and argue against people who aren't really there. Skeptic became too legitimate a term to discredit (especially since the "professionals" keep getting it wrong), so thus "denier" was coined.

You're swinging at a figment of your imagination...
what hoax? And most of research is "getting it wrong"; you often have results which do not match the expectations, to some degree or another. That's the interesting bit. That's what you use to come up with a better hypothesis, and generally increase the amount of information about a particular area or process.

There are definite camps; people who think that climate change does not exist, people who think climate change is not caused by increased CO2, and people who think climate change exists and is primarly driven by man via CO2 production.
It isn't as cut and dry to state there are only three camps, they run the spectrum from denial of any change to dear god we're all going to die in 50 years.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 14:31:58  
What, no-one wants to talk about absorption spectra or physics anymore?

Well I think it's because the actual skeptics didn't even know how absurd the "AGWE is hoax, because of the second law of thermodynamics" argument really is.

What bothers me most though is Ocean Acidification and how that being a byproduct of CO2 overabundance isn't respected by skeptics or deniers. I guess should say not so much bothered but surprised maritime industries haven't started lobbying to protect their financial interests with respect to all of it.

I'm getting bombarded by trillions upon trillions of neutrino's every second, a few billion jettisoned protons in my direction from IR absorbing CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't really phase me. But its messing up my aquatic food chains, which even though it is affecting all food chain systems, is ultimately having a negative impact on my bottom line. Can we do something about this?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 14:34:10  

Oh you'll get a kick of this one:How big is the "unobservable" universe?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-28 14:46:49  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
What, no-one wants to talk about absorption spectra or physics anymore?

Well I think it's because the actual skeptics didn't even know how absurd the actual "AGWE is hoax, because of the second law of thermodynamics" argument really is.

What bothers me most though is Ocean Acidification and how that being a byproduct of CO2 overabundance isn't respected by skeptics or deniers. I guess should say not so much bothered but surprised maritime industries haven't started lobbying to protect their financial interests with respect to all of it.

I'm getting bombarded by trillions upon trillions of neutrino's every second, a few billion jettisoned protons in my direction from IR absorbing CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't really phase me. But its messing up my aquatic food chains, which even though it is affecting all food chain systems, is ultimately having a negative impact on my bottom line. Can we do something about this?
The acidification/having the ocean as a sink for CO2 is one of the more fun interactions at play as a result of higher CO2 concentrations. But like most other items, when it moves from being a theoretical problem to being a fiscal problem, it suddenly gets important.
Not really sure what the comment about neutrinos (almost impossible to interact with) or protons ejected from CO2 (energies involved aren't sufficient for proton ejection)
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 14:50:55  
Not really sure what the comment about neutrinos (almost impossible to interact with) or protons ejected from CO2 (energies involved aren't sufficient for proton ejection)

non sequitur wax poetic malarkey.. say the italicized portion aloud in a ranting tone and the joke may manifest.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-28 14:53:16  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Do you not believe that approximately 97% of climate scientist believe in AGW?
I do not believe that

Oh wait, you said this yourself too. 10188/29286 scientists who agree that AGW is the cause of global warming does not equal 97%
By fonewear 2014-02-28 14:53:33  
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 14:55:38  
fonewear said: »

Cat is walking on water!
All praise Pentagrammato-cat!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-02-28 15:25:50  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Quote:
“The survey results must have deeply disappointed the researchers – in the end, they chose to highlight the views of a subgroup of just 77 scientists, 75 of whom thought humans contributed to climate change. The ratio 75/77 produces the 97 percent figure that pundits now tout.”

That doesn't raise a red flag for you? This media outlet is telling you what must have happened inside someone's head and backed it up with nothing.

Alright, let's ignore that for a moment. Why didn't this media outlet tell you who was excluded and why, and why were this group of 77 scientist selected? What do they share in common? Obviously not a belief in AGW since it final percent wasn't 100%.

It seems that they're telling you fragments of what you already believe and because of that, you willing believe them.

Of course, that's all fine and well for you, but you can't really bring that out use it to argue a case with people who don't already believe what you believe.

So yeah, two things wrong with the first link.

As for the second link, I thought I went over this already. You just combined 'No Opinion' with 'Uncertain'. There are papers that are written about the effects of climate change, then there are papers written about the cause of climate change. 'No opinion', 'Uncertain' and 'Reject' all have different meanings.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-28 15:29:20  
Lakshmi.Saevel said:
In all cases current AGW theory violates the laws of thermodynamics. There is a finite limit to the amount of energy that can be back radiated due to the logarithmic scaling involved. We passed that limit back at ~250ppm and now any additional back radiation would be so insignificant that it would be lose in the noise.
I'm interested in where this claim comes from. There is a finite limit to the amount of energy; in no way, shape or form can the amount of energy exceed the input to the system.
The feedback loops are based on (relatively constant) overall energy input into the system, with an increasing proportion remaining trapped. Over time, temperature would increase until it reaches a new equilibrium.

This comes from elementary logic being applied to an understanding of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. To put it simply the argument is that AGW is a hoax based on the fact that upper atmosphere is cooler than the lower atmosphere and that the second law of thermodynamics indicates that heat flows to the cooler system.
Um, what? That isn't the second law of thermodynamics, which is basically that outside any other inputs, you should eventually reach equilibrium. Which is obviously not the case here. Also, that doesn't even touch the differences in pressure/density.
I swear I've had this same discussion with Saevel on this before, but the entire thing hinges the oversimplification of how the atmosphere is stratified. Even if absorption was occurring at some saturated level in the lower layers of the atmosphere, further absorption would still occur at higher and higher levels. The absorption and emission of long-wave radiation at these levels, where water vapor is scarce, is the determining factor in how much of this energy is released back into space rather than back towards the planet.

The faux second law argument is perhaps more absurd. It's proponents again take the oversimplified view that heat only transfers from hot to cool when it's more like the net transfer will be from hot to cool. It's like holding a match up to a blowtorch and saying that heat from the match can't be directed towards the blowtorch just because the blowtorch is hotter. In the case of the atmosphere, backradiation is most definitely occuring (otherwise we'd be living on a ball of ice), but the net radiation is still directed away from the planet's surface. There's no violation of physical laws occuring.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 15:47:53  
Lakshmi.Saevel said:
In all cases current AGW theory violates the laws of thermodynamics. There is a finite limit to the amount of energy that can be back radiated due to the logarithmic scaling involved. We passed that limit back at ~250ppm and now any additional back radiation would be so insignificant that it would be lose in the noise.
I'm interested in where this claim comes from. There is a finite limit to the amount of energy; in no way, shape or form can the amount of energy exceed the input to the system.
The feedback loops are based on (relatively constant) overall energy input into the system, with an increasing proportion remaining trapped. Over time, temperature would increase until it reaches a new equilibrium.

This comes from elementary logic being applied to an understanding of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. To put it simply the argument is that AGW is a hoax based on the fact that upper atmosphere is cooler than the lower atmosphere and that the second law of thermodynamics indicates that heat flows to the cooler system.
Um, what? That isn't the second law of thermodynamics, which is basically that outside any other inputs, you should eventually reach equilibrium. Which is obviously not the case here. Also, that doesn't even touch the differences in pressure/density.
I swear I've had this same discussion with Saevel on this before, but the entire thing hinges the oversimplification of how the atmosphere is stratified. Even if absorption was occurring at some saturated level in the lower layers of the atmosphere, further absorption would still occur at higher and higher levels. The absorption and emission of long-wave radiation at these levels, where water vapor is scarce, is the determining factor in how much of this energy is released back into space rather than back towards the planet.

The faux second law argument is perhaps more absurd. It's proponents again take the oversimplified view that heat only transfers from hot to cool when it's more like the net transfer will be from hot to cool. It's like holding a match up to a blowtorch and saying that heat from the match can't be directed towards the blowtorch just because the blowtorch is hotter. In the case of the atmosphere, backradiation is most definitely occuring (otherwise we'd be living on a ball of ice), but the net radiation is still directed away from the planet's surface. There's no violation of physical laws occuring.

Yeah that second paragraph was more along the lines of what I was reciting as the crux of their argument.

One thing that bothers me is the radiation absorbed by CO2 is the end of story for skeptics/refuters. They don't want to hear about how that the very same CO2 molecule then creates radiation. That the proton that is jettisoned doesn't simply float up to the upper atmosphere but goes in any direction.

Another one that gets me is that the acknowledgement of there being thermal vents at the bottom of the ocean and on land, but the earth itself isn't emitting heat in any fashion train of thought.

But then again they probably don't acknowledge cause and effect at the end of the day either.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-28 15:49:11  
Then there was this tidbit:

Gary Novak said:
O2 Absorption Spectrum
There is no Valid Mechanism for CO2 Creating Global Warming

Proof one: Laboratory measurements show that carbon dioxide absorbs to extinction at its main peak in 10 meters under atmospheric conditions.* This means there is no radiation left at those frequencies after 10 meters.

The key word to focus on here is "frequencies" in that:

Carbon dioxide absorbs Infrared Radiation (IR) only at two very narrow ranges of wavelength, one between 2.5 and 3 microns, and another between 4 and 5 microns. I don’t know how much of the total IR radiation is emitted in those ranges, but, even if it’s a uniform probability distribution, it couldn't possibly be more than 10-15% of all IR. If it’s a normal probability distribution, then the percent of all IR that falls in those two ranges would be more like 5%.

Leaving, lets say for shits and giggles, about 85-95%

Disclaimer I'm just reciting what skeptics propose.
It's dishonest to use all IR as a reference point here when it's largely the wavelengths radiated by the planet's surface that matter for the GH effect.

Looking at radiation from the Earth's surface (so energy that is directed downwards), you can see how large that portion of radiation attributable to CO2 is.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 15:56:21  
It's dishonest to use all IR as a reference point here when it's largely the wavelengths radiated by the planet's surface (14-16 um) that matter for the GH effect.

It is, but it's also a textbook example of manipulating statistical data to fit an argument.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-28 16:01:17  
Either that consensus study is the most complicated piece of research outside of, say, theoretical quantum physics or you guys just enjoy being obtuse.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-02-28 16:09:29  
I'm assuming you mean the second link.

Basically, they looked at all papers published relating to climate change within a time span and separated them into 4 categories: Endorse AGW, no opinion on AGE, reject AGE and uncertain with AGE.

What kingnobody did was assert that if the paper doesn't specifically endorse AGW, the author must be against it. What he didn't take into consideration is the fact that not all papers relating to climate change are about the causes of climate change. He'll take those papers and lump them into the group that rejects/uncertain about AGW and that's where he got his numbers from.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-28 16:13:54  
What kingnobody did was assert that if the paper doesn't specifically endorse AGW, the author must be against it. What he didn't take into consideration is the fact that not all papers relating to climate change are about the causes of climate change. He'll take those papers and lump them into the group that rejects/uncertain about AGW and that's where he got his numbers from.
But you are asserting that if they didn't specifically endorse AGW, the author must be for it.

You are stating that 97% of all climate scientists agree that AGW is the cause of global warming. I'm proving you wrong.

So continue to spout your idiocy.

Oh, and before you say you never said that, guess what:

97% of climate scientist on one side

Check your own post
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-28 16:22:09  
Well, the thing to keep in mind is that it affects both incoming and outgoing radiation.
In both cases, the thermal radiation emitted from CO2 is omnidirectional; like omnisexual, it swings all directions.

In other words, CO2 absorbs incoming solar radiation at particular wavelengths. When it re-radiates, it can radiate in any direction/orientation, including back out into space (if at the outer limit). So what you would in effect have somewhat of a thermal barrier in the upper atmosphere, where the likelihood of propagation of that particular class of radiation "downwards" (or towards earth) is relatively non-existent past some depth.

However, that neglects the absorption of all other forms of solar radiation by land and water masses, which achieve a certain temperature and radiate heat back outwards. This energy, which bypassed the upper layer of CO2 absorption, is in effect downshifted in wavelength to whatever the temperature of the land/water/air currently is. That radiation hits the internal CO2/H2O barrier, where the absorption/re-emission occurs. Like the upper barrier, the lower barrier has a very low probability of penetration for radiation in particular wavelengths, prior to being absorbed/re-emitted. Similar to how the upper barrier retards "downward" propagation, the near-surface barrier retards "upward" propagation. This retardation drives higher temperatures, creating more H2O, which enhances the retarding effect, or 'greenhouse effect'.

One thing that bothers me is the radiation absorbed by CO2 is the end of story for skeptics/refuters. They don't want to hear about how that the very same CO2 molecule then creates radiation. That the proton that is jettisoned doesn't simply float up to the upper atmosphere but goes in any direction.
It isn't a proton. It really, really reeeaaaaaally isn't a proton. What you mean to say is photon.
They sound similar, but are vastly different.
When in doubt, think Star Trek vs. Alchemy; photons are "energy packets", while protons "define elements". That's a pretty horrible way to remember it, but it's good enough for most areas.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-28 16:23:02  
I'm assuming you mean the second link.

Basically, they looked at all papers published relating to climate change within a time span and separated them into 4 categories: Endorse AGW, no opinion on AGE, reject AGE and uncertain with AGE.

Oh, I know. It's just comical at this point.

This graph should answer any future questions King:
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 16:24:12  
This article is great.
Rex Tillerson files anti-fracking lawsuit

Fracking is so safe for the environment
that the CEO of Exxon Mobile is filing a lawsuit to stop it from occurring in his own area.....hmmmmm wonder if it's due to industrial rivalry or true environmental concern?

Well, the thing to keep in mind is that it affects both incoming and outgoing radiation.
In both cases, the thermal radiation emitted from CO2 is omnidirectional; like omnisexual, it swings all directions.

In other words, CO2 absorbs incoming solar radiation at particular wavelengths. When it re-radiates, it can radiate in any direction/orientation, including back out into space (if at the outer limit). So what you would in effect have somewhat of a thermal barrier in the upper atmosphere, where the likelihood of propagation of that particular class of radiation "downwards" (or towards earth) is relatively non-existent past some depth.

However, that neglects the absorption of all other forms of solar radiation by land and water masses, which achieve a certain temperature and radiate heat back outwards. This energy, which bypassed the upper layer of CO2 absorption, is in effect downshifted in wavelength to whatever the temperature of the land/water/air currently is. That radiation hits the internal CO2/H2O barrier, where the absorption/re-emission occurs. Like the upper barrier, the lower barrier has a very low probability of penetration for radiation in particular wavelengths, prior to being absorbed/re-emitted. Similar to how the upper barrier retards "downward" propagation, the near-surface barrier retards "upward" propagation. This retardation drives higher temperatures, creating more H2O, which enhances the retarding effect, or 'greenhouse effect'.

It isn't a proton. It really, really reeeaaaaaally isn't a proton. What you mean to say is photon.
They sound similar, but are vastly different.
When in doubt, think Star Trek vs. Alchemy; photons are "energy packets", while protons "define elements". That's a pretty horrible way to remember it, but it's good enough for most areas.

you're right i did mean to say Photon.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-28 16:25:09  
This graph should answer any future questions King:
That would explain how you get your answers then. Go beyond reality!
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-28 16:36:11  
But you are asserting that if they didn't specifically endorse AGW, the author must be for it.

You are stating that 97% of all climate scientists agree that AGW is the cause of global warming. I'm proving you wrong.

Check your own post
We're back to this again?
Correct, it does not say that 97% of all climate scientists agree that AGW is the cause of global warming.
It does say that of studies which contained 'global climate change' or 'global warming' in the abstract, and expressing a position on AGW in their abstract, approximately 97.1% concluded that climate change was anthroprogenic.
It also noted that if papers self-described themselves as having a position on AGW, 97.2% concluded that climate change was anthroprogenic.

So approximately 97% of the studies published on whether or not current climate change trends are due to human influences conclude that it is due to human influences.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-02-28 16:37:07  

Check your own post

You have it mixed up.

The 97% number you're referring to was not in referenced to the link that showed 97% of studies with an opinion on AGW that also endorsing AGW. It was in reference to the survey of climate scientist, which also happens to be 97%.

I thought it was obvious since the link mentioned studies and I mentioned people, but whatever.

Oh and I actually did a little bit of research on the 95/97 number.

10,257 were polled Earth scientists
3,146 replied
I don't know why the numbers are different in the wiki article here, but 79 "listed climate science as their area of expertise and who also have published more than 50% of their recent peer-reviewed papers on the subject of climate change". In other words, they just reduced the 10k+ number down to only the people who specialize in the field, and that's how you got your 77 or 79 number.

And it's the same study, Doran 2010 at the University of Illinois.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists%27_views_on_climate_change

Now we know why your article didn't mention that. Maybe they just didn't know; with my google'ing skills, I should have become a journalist and showed them how it's done.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-02-28 16:37:57  
Climate Change Evidence & Causes : An Overview by the Royal Society and the US National Academy of Sciences

This is the most recent publication. Whether one needs ammo for fighting a skeptic or are a skeptic and want to better understand your oppositions argument give it a read.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7