users online
New Desktop

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 20:00:36  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
multiple 4k displays? or moved to 5k?

Only 1k, imagine the cost 2 years ago for 3 27" 4k displays.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 20:44:34  
I don't think it was quite that much, but well into the thousands.
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-28 21:04:58  
darkk said: »
Hey OP,

This is a BEAST budget build I put together for you that is just under $1000 after some MIR

The GTX 970 will allow you to play most AAA titles at 60fps running full HD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kjBG99

Price at time of build was under $1000, but seems to have fluctuated a bit higher now.

It'll be +-$50 which isn't a big deal considering all of the parts are top tier.

I hope you enjoy :)

since he built one based on the intel cpu i figured id goof around and see what i could come up with using an amd cpu. Came up with this tonight. Interestingly only a $10 difference' - I dont know if it would match up as well or what not, but it was interesting playing around on that site.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93m7Q7
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 21:09:30  
Yeah, and you got a comparable CPU and a little better GPU and RAM with the AMD setup.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-28 21:32:13  
how exactly does one compare the two different types of cpu's?

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 21:39:53  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
how exactly does one compare the two different types of cpu's?
Intel processors are miles ahead in terms of IPC - instructions per clock. So while they both may ran at the same clock speeds, Intel are (generally speaking) able to get far more done in the same time.

Intel also have much more efficient memory controllers.

For all this I do think there is a significant "intel tax". I suspect, because they have the performance edge and market share, they're able to mark up their products much higher than AMD can. This means that AMD are often able to compete on price/performance... just not power/performance or absolutely performance.

Adding in, the FX processor is a lot higher clock speed than the intel one in those builds. AMD processors typically require more power and cooling because of that higher clock speed. Most people way overestimate their processor needs and end up skimping on the rest of the bits. I'd take an AMD setup with a PCIe SSD over an i7 and SATA SSD all day, and that's about the difference in price between the two.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-28 22:28:33  
Clock speed literally means nothing when choosing a good CPU unless you playing something like quake.

The AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core is a LOW END processor and honestly for any gaming rig
I'd be suggesting at least the AMD FX 6300 3.2 Hexa core Ghz or an I3.

Also saying the FX-4350 is comparable to I5-6500 (or any recent i5 ) is a joke it's nearly half the strength of it.
the 4350 is comparable to a duo core intel.

AMDs are good if you need more money for a GPU the 8350 is a solid processor and the 6300 is cheap as chips (pun intended)

But the I5s are the best gaming CPUs before you get diminishing returns.

As for PCIe SSD LMAO for video encoding or gaming you are literally just burning your money. For a gaming/video rig my preference is a Hybrid drive plenty of space with fast booting time.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-28 22:33:28  
Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
the 4350 is comparable to a duo core intel.
just for the record, thats what my current comp is using -_-
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 22:36:08  
Obvious intel fanboy is obvious.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-28 22:37:16  
The AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core is a LOW END processor and honestly for any gaming rig
I'd be suggesting at least the AMD FX 6300 3.2 Hexa core Ghz or an I3.
Kinda the stuff im interested in knowing more about. How does one tell the higher/lower ends. Theirs so damn many out there, and so many with a certain type (like the FX.) The only thing i rly see listed are the L# cache, but i dont rly know much about that.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-28 23:06:33  
Jassik said: »
Except I'm not saying Intel > AMD I'm saying if you going AMD route then at least 6300 or an 8350 (8320). The 4350 is low end (if your going for a 970 build).

As for working it out it's depends on a few thing like what you are using the computer for ect.

Using Tom's hardware is a good way to go.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-cpus,review-33354.html

As far as knowing what's better from the specs it doesn't really help because the features of a processor it what really determines why a processor is good.

Probably the question most people ask is why are higher spec AMDs run slower than the lower spec Intels.

Reason is that AMD uses a less efficient threading architecture meaning it loses fair chunk of what it does and even AMD have admitted that by using the same architecture as Intel in there next gen processors (2016).
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-28 23:14:00  
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BnK823

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/HV7W6h

(can take the gpu out of steam box to go SLI on main computer and use steam box as a streaming box and when I go to my mate for a lan party put the 970 back in)

Also I have both these builds and the only difference is the processor and certain games struggle with the AMD processor.

That said the processor in the steam box is on the same level as the 4350 so that's why i'd say get at least a 6300 8350

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 23:57:36  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Jassik said: »

Can't see a reason to use inferior AMD processors unless you wanna save a little $

That's kind of why I even brought up AMD. An i7 or even high end i5 is overkill when it means the difference between having an SSD or cheap RAM, etc. When I built this PC, I didn't have gaming in mind at all, and I still really don't when it comes to my work machines. But, even for not being a gaming rig, I've thrown literally everything I can think of at it without a hiccup, and I spent far less on it than most people spend on gaming rigs without getting better results. And my PC is over 2 years old at this point. That's the point, bang for your buck.
 Asura.Ninjaface
サーバ: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-29 00:22:59  
I just bought all the parts for a budget build for my girlfriend basically all on newegg(though, I started the build on pcpartpicker, I eventually had to switch to newegg once I had a feel for what I wanted so that I could more easily browse different combo options).

I went with a locked intel processor, since I know she isn't going to be overclocking, which means the mobo can also be a locked one. I made sure to get an ATX motherboard so there is lots of room for expansion if she ever needs it(this is something that a lot of those bare bones/pre-built pcs don't offer). AMD processors are just fine for lots of things, but for gaming specifically i prefer a good i5(I bought the 2500k when it came out and i haven't needed another since). Also, if you're going to be building a gaming pc, you don't need an i7 because basically no games take advantage of hyper threading. so save yourself some money there unless you also render video or something.

I think the best thing I can suggest is getting storage now while it is cheap. I got a smallish SSD(~120gb) for windows and a few select games, and a TB or so on a HDD for storage and games that don't really benefit from an SSD in any noticable way(emulation, older games, things like that).

RAM is so cheap right now it is silly. Also, I wouldn't get a power supply that was less than gold rated. Another big thing: don't overbuy on your power supply. If your system only draws 300W under load, for instance, getting an 800W supply like I have is a total waste of money(I need an 800W for my system, though, for SLI).

One last bit of advice, don't every try to justify buying something to "future proof" yourself. That's gonna be a total waste of money for something you are definitely going to wind up replacing a lot sooner than you expect.

Edit: by "budget" I mean not a monster like my computer but it is definitely cheaper than my video card...it's under $700, I think. would be even cheaper if you already have windows on a hdd somewhere that you can clone.

Post deleted by User.
By darkk 2015-11-29 01:21:50  
OP, I definitely recommend you get a ddr4 capable motherboard/memory.

The 970 by eVGA that's on my build is a better performer than the MSI

Not knocking AMD, but I just think a skylake build around $1k is the better route to take.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-29 10:01:03  
SSDs aren't that important anymore they give nothing to gaming performance and with a good Mobo and Fast boot both my PCs (1 w/ SHDD and other with HDD) will boot up in less than 10 secs (Windows 10).

I'm not saying there useless like if you compressing/extracting a lot of archives they are heavenly but for gaming the money is better spent on GPU,CPU,Mobo,PSU,Headset.

Ironically, the only game I've seen that used a SSD well was FFXIV 1.0 cause it loaded a lot from the Harddrive and you'd get stutters.

As a side note if you are building your own PC using OEM licenses for windows are legal and a lot cheaper only issue with it if you upgrade your mobo or cpu the licenses will be invalid.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-29 10:13:06  
SSDs aren't that important anymore they give nothing to gaming performance and with a good Mobo and Fast boot both my PCs (1 w/ SHDD and other with HDD) will boot up in less than 10 secs.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 10:44:52  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
SSDs aren't that important anymore they give nothing to gaming performance and with a good Mobo and Fast boot both my PCs (1 w/ SHDD and other with HDD) will boot up in less than 10 secs.

It's not completely untrue. Some games last a lot into RAM, making SSDs most valuable for loading screens. Others load very little at any given time, making SSDs less important. Sadly, most games made up until the last year or so very rarely make good use of fast storage. SSDs are still one of the most cost effective performance solutions out there and they are one of the few you get full benefit of almost all the time.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-29 11:22:20  
Problem is Consoles don't have SSDs so games usually programmed to run off a HDD anyway meaning it preloads a lot of ***into the RAM even to curb this.

As for FPS http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance/4#.VlsvzPnhChc

It has no effect well may 1fps if your lucky.

As for loading times it does reduce loading screen times for example Fallout 4 you'll see 50%+ quicker loading times easily and is probably one the best cases for having a SSD but other game like say CoD or FFXIV you'll be waiting on servers not load times.

That why a better Mobo/Headset or GPU which will effect every game for me personally than getting a SSD.

Only reason I say this is because I see so many people buying cheap PSU and Mobos then a getting 250-500gb SSD which is well HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 12:07:00  
If you're cutting corners elsewhere, sure, an SSD isn't a silver bullet. But, they are very affordable and large SSDs are basically never required outside of very niche setups.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 13:00:42  
Until a game that's console exclusive comes out that I absolutely cannot not play, I don't bother with consoles. Last generation, consoles weren't that far behind PC's, but that gap has widened significantly in the last decade. For 3 or 400 bucks for a console and 1 game, I can buy half a dozen games or make some major upgrades to my system.

I actually buy components that age well in anticipation of building a new PC when I see good deals. Some of them end up installed into my current PC, but I have an SSD, Blu-ray, full ITX case with ATX hardware, and a 1000W 80+gold PSU just waiting for DDR4 boards to get cheap enough to build another PC.

Post deleted by User.