So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20
 Fenrir.Sathicus
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: SathQuetz
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-26 12:26:30  
Forgive my laziness, but before I delve in and start investing gil, is the OP updated and relevant for current gear and content?

Edit: And also forgive the further laziness, but the OP seems to imply that the most effective means of PUP tanking utilizes Ventriloquy and master actions. This is contrary to both my previous understanding and needs from PUP. Can anyone comment on this?
By clearlyamule 2017-01-26 12:45:32  
Teuphist said: »
I find it hard to believe it were anything else since nothing was absorbed prior to. That and the increase in BC dmg for that period of time would be a little difficult to explain.

Er I said specifically that Fu was weird and it might be unique to him as RW is generally untouchable not that it didn't happen.

That said as far as increase in dmg... well dmg would've increased regardless of the buff absorbed because it's Fu. My dmg fluctuates a rather large amount each nullification as number of buffs change. I've had AS/AP go from doing 30k down 14-20k after a nullification just because 1 less buff was up. Again not saying that was necessarily the case but Fu is weird and it's dmg taken and dealt change dramatically so would be best to go by /checkparam stats

edit: For fun did a check of the statuses in the dats and spur is there but runwild isn't. Probably just spur got stolen and likely the att with it
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-26 12:51:30  
clearlyamule said: »
Teuphist said: »
I find it hard to believe it were anything else since nothing was absorbed prior to. That and the increase in BC dmg for that period of time would be a little difficult to explain.

Er I said specifically that Fu was weird and it might be unique to him as RW is generally untouchable not that it didn't happen.

That said as far as increase in dmg... well dmg would've increased regardless of the buff absorbed because it's Fu. My dmg fluctuates a rather large amount each nullification as number of buffs change. I've had AS/AP go from doing 30k down 14-20k after a nullification just because 1 less buff was up. Again not saying that was necessarily the case but Fu is weird and it's dmg taken and dealt change dramatically so would be best to go by /checkparam stats

Unrelated to PUP but the +/- on number of buffs absorbed for me on BST changes damage done with Pentapeck from 99999 all the way down to ~25k with the same frailty bubbles. It is very significant.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-01-26 13:13:55  
Fenrir.Sathicus said: »
Forgive my laziness, but before I delve in and start investing gil, is the OP updated and relevant for current gear and content?

Edit: And also forgive the further laziness, but the OP seems to imply that the most effective means of PUP tanking utilizes Ventriloquy and master actions. This is contrary to both my previous understanding and needs from PUP. Can anyone comment on this?

Gear hasn't changed much save for a handful of pieces, but essentially we don't bother with Ventriloquy as a primary means of generating hate anymore. Since the update with Strobes and Flashbulb, there isn't any particular need.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-26 13:30:11  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

Gear hasn't changed much save for a handful of pieces, but essentially we don't bother with Ventriloquy as a primary means of generating hate anymore. Since the update with Strobes and Flashbulb, there isn't any particular need.

Thanks!

I am skimming through the thread a bit and getting the feel of it, but could someone with a few spare minutes give me the gist of how the procedure would go about for VE/VE tanking against something like Schah (essentially my main motivation for taking up the job). Including such things as attachments and maneuvers and etc. I would appreciate it as I don't have much of a baseline of PUP knowledge as I am primarily BST.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-01-26 14:18:28  
Yeah, hate was a really bad problem with PUP tanking before the strobe/flashbulb update, which is why all that Ventriloquy and /BLU talk was even a consideration. Now it's really a non-issue, also really no need to use a subjob for enmity purposes. So, I'm generally always /WHM when tanking for the status removal spells, enhancing magic (haste, SS), and the occasional cure.

Taeon or Rao/+1 gear still works great, each has their advantages: Rao's higher HP, mostly for enmity. Taeon's additional stats like stacking multiple pieces with Meva/DT/regen.

Pet tanking accessories are pretty limited in general so not terribly hard to figure out.
By clearlyamule 2017-01-26 15:41:34  
I'd add that while raos higher hp does mean you will lose less enmity per dmg done the lesser dt will cause more dmg to be done so from an enmity and usually survivability standpoint they somewhat cancel each other out.

Of course rao+1 offers even more hp and same dt so generally the winner in pure tanking. But as a bst you probably already made a dt taeon set and that would work fine.

As previously said accessories pretty limited but one thing I see that trips people up are the earrings. Basically you'll want DT over pdt as pdt is much easier to cap. For hands you'll want alluvion, midnights, reisin or old faye weapon. All can get some dt though the time and difficulty of each varies as well as other useful stats.

I'd also recommend a -overload set. Pretty nice in all these battlefields we zone into if you want to spam stuff before the timers on maneuvers gets higher. Pretty simple gearing there though just search overload.

For tanking Schah specifically I've never done that... but I would recommend getting a feel tanking some other stuff first. But pup can change so much it's hard to give any exactness on what you are doing and how many jps you got the exact frame/head maneuvers and attachments can vary quite widely. I think I've used just about every type of frame other than stormwaker and a variety of heads usually for different elements to get more of certain attachments.

Generally speaking though you will want a minimum strobes, highest ARK you can equip, optic fibers, and an armor plate and at least 1 fire and 1 light maneuver to go with that. The rest I find are often questions of how much elemental capacity you have left and what your focus is. Do you need more magic dmg resistance, do you want it to do some light DDing, can you take advantage of cool things like steam jacket/analyzer, do you need more hate, is the mob going to hundred fist you, do you want to try and resist debuffs. All those things will end up factoring what you choose
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-01-26 16:37:53  
clearlyamule said: »
I'd add that while raos higher hp does mean you will lose less enmity per dmg done the lesser dt will cause more dmg to be done so from an enmity and usually survivability standpoint they somewhat cancel each other out.

I pretty much agree with this.

I tend to default to Taeon (DT/Regen/Meva) over Rao, mostly because I have good Meva (21~25) on all 4 non-head pieces and my Ohrmazd. Basically equivalent to a Geo-Attunement (Meva+95 from a 900 skill Dunna GEO, or 30 more from Idris). Puppet isn't quite the same since it doesn't get other Meva in gear slots like players will, but I think there's at least a baseline Meva from pet ilevel. At any rate, my experience is that it's at least above floored Meva on a lot of content.

I use Rao primarily when I'm tanking with melee DDs, due to the extra HP for enmity purposes, since melees present more difficulty in keeping consistent hate. With nuke setups (which, for me is a far more common PUP tanking situation), enmity is a total non-issue so I never really find a need for Rao in that scenario. Also, I don't like the extra Acc on Rao in a nuke setup, since it just makes the puppet gain TP faster and be more likely to screw up a SC+MB if you don't have Tactical Switch up to steal TP from the puppet.

I honestly don't find the 1% DT- difference between Rao and Taeon/Rao+1 too significant. Generally the automaton is so sturdy anyway, and basically always capped on PDT (assuming 1200 gift) regardless. The extra DT is fairly irrelevant when you're barely ever dropping into yellow HP to begin with. The major tanking concerns on PUP are deadly enfeebles, weird mechanics, and inability to effectively tank multiple enemies as well as a PLD.

If you already have Rao+1 pieces or are rich, Rao+1 is nice. But I don't really think it's a huge advantage for PUP, and to me it's not worth the gil.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 09:45:51  
So now that I have PUP 99 and have completed the Valoredge frame, I have a few questions.

First, are people using VE/VE for stuff like Escha T3/Helm and Omen, or are people opting for the combo of VE + whatever gives Shell V?

Second, and this is a question I didn't think of until my PLD friend just asked me, does the automaton need to be skilled up in any way in order to tank effectively? I burned PUP to 99 last night and have all the DT-% gear already, but does that mean I am good to go immediately or do I have some tedious work to do?

Thanks
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-31 10:02:19  
Don't need any skill for VE tanking. Actually not having skill might be more beneficial as it will make its TP gain slower! XD

You kinda need at least the 550JP Gift, better if you reach the 1200 one.
Once you have 1200 Gift, related attachments and are able to cap DT through gear, you don't really need anything else to be able to tank efficiently most mobs that are tankable by a PUP (that is: a lot)

Of course there's still a lot of space for refinment from that point onwards, but that's exactely fine-tuning and tweaking, not stuff necessary to be able to tank.
My two cents at least, Trulusia will give a more detailed and useful insight I'm sure.
 Asura.Neufko
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2017-01-31 10:07:22  
Your Puppet won't be able to cast Shell V with 0 skill.
Your puppet learn spells as it skills up.

You can look at this chart :
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Automaton_Magic_Skill

----

What you will need the most is Job points. You won't be able to attach optic fiber I/II + Autorepair IV (+ Flashbulb) With 0 jp.
Especialy if you want VE/VE, as you will only get 3 light to deal with.
With 0 jp, you'll need to use Soulsoother / VE to get 3 more light. At the cost of less hp.

----

You'd better skillup your puppet anyway and get 1200jp. Or wait for a better answer from a better puppet :)
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 10:09:38  
Asura.Neufko said: »

----

What you will need the most is Job points. You won't be able to attach optic fiber I/II + Autorepair IV (+ Flashbulb) With 0 jp.
With 0 jp, you'll need to use Soulsoother / VE to get 3 more light. At the cost of less hp.

----

You'd better skillup your puppet anyway and get 1200jp. Or wait for a better answer from a better puppet :)

To be clear, in order to skill up, I will need to have an active automaton beating on something? Is there a preferred skill-up target for automatons? Will I need to switch between head/frame setups to effectively skill up multiple skills?

Thanks
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-31 10:13:04  
First and foremost you gonna need Percolator. Without that skillups are a massive pain.

Some skills (like ranged) can only be skilled on specific frames (sharpshoot).
Not sure which head/frame setup I would suggest to skillup faster though.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-31 10:24:04  
You'll want insight as well from PUP's who have been tanking Volume 1 Intense VD also, such as Ruaumoko, Cicion and so on.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-01-31 10:29:19  
Been tanking V1 on VD on D1.
If you don't suck you can do it without JPs but I honestly wouldn't go there with under 550 JP Gift, can really feel the performance dive with the compromises you have to accept without that =/
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 10:33:02  
Since my first tanking experience will likely be on Schah or something of similar difficulty I'll probably take the advice and wait for JPs, but skilling up seems like a pain in the *** without a preferred spot so hopefully there will be some insight into that.

Also, I feel like it was lightly touched on, but no confirmation, are people opting for Shell V head with VE body over VE/VE combo for anything that has the ability to nuke?

Seems with Shell V DT-% (except for breath I guess) should be very easy to cap even without maneuvers.
By clearlyamule 2017-01-31 10:33:38  

----

----

To be clear, in order to skill up, I will need to have an active automaton beating on something? Is there a preferred skill-up target for automatons? Will I need to switch between head/frame setups to effectively skill up multiple skills?

Thanks
To gain a skill your actually has to connect with said action. Gotta land spells to get magic, gotta hit with ranged to skill that same with melee so need the right frames for that. Preferred targets are things that don't die easy nor kill your auto easy. Like Urganites.

Also Soulsoother / VE shouldn't come at less hp as that's determined by frame.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-31 10:35:20  
I didn't even realize PUPs were being used to tank Schah (+ at least 1 Mantri + misc adds). PUP obviously has a role for Teles during the aura phase but I'm not aware of anyone really doing that anymore.

Is this old news or something recent?
By clearlyamule 2017-01-31 10:42:04  
Since my first tanking experience will likely be on Schah or something of similar difficulty I'll probably take the advice and wait for JPs, but skilling up seems like a pain in the *** without a preferred spot so hopefully there will be some insight into that.

Also, I feel like it was lightly touched on, but no confirmation, are people opting for Shell V head with VE body over VE/VE combo for anything that has the ability to nuke?

Seems with Shell V DT-% (except for breath I guess) should be very easy to cap even without maneuvers.
VE frame can't cast regardless of head. It has no mp. Whether to use harlequin frame or not is a big depends. You lose out on the I believe 20% hp bonus not using VE frame which is kind of a big deal for survivability so preferred not to unless it just nukes that ridiculously hard.

Yes pdt is trivial to cap and with. bdt is kind of a big unknown. MDT will also depend on frame with capping or not but yes you will easily get some high amounts that are near cap and can load on a bunch of mdb too

Edit: Alternatively if facing something that doesn't dispel you can use regulator to steal the shell off another mob in zone. For example for reisin the green fairies usually use that or protect on pull or there is always doing something like getting a rdm or sch with pimped duration get charmed by frogs and stealing it
 Asura.Neufko
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2017-01-31 10:46:59  

----

----

Thanks

Yes, yes and yes.

I did my skillup on the beach in ceizak (Bight Uragnite)
You'll have to keep an eye on your puppet for melee skill as it will be poisoned most of the time. (but this one caps quite fast)

for ranged, you can keep it at a distance with a tank trust + white mage and go afk.

You probably can do the same with magic. But I did Magic / melee at the same time using Stormwaker Head/Frame. then finishing up melee with VE.

You can easily do this while watching a movie with an occasional light/dark maneuver or an hp switch.
 Lakshmi.Anastasia
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lotan
By Lakshmi.Anastasia 2017-01-31 11:26:57  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Been tanking V1 on VD on D1.
If you don't suck you can do it without JPs but I honestly wouldn't go there with under 550 JP Gift, can really feel the performance dive with the compromises you have to accept without that =/

I believe you mean the 100 jp gift, which is +2 elemental capacity. The 550 is H2H delay-5.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-31 11:31:43  

Asura.Avallon said: »
I didn't even realize PUPs were being used to tank Schah (+ at least 1 Mantri + misc adds). PUP obviously has a role for Teles during the aura phase but I'm not aware of anyone really doing that anymore.

Is this old news or something recent?

Can anyone answer this? I'm genuinely curious to see if LS's are using PUP's to tank Schah now, or if it's an old strat I'm just now hearing about.
 Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk
Guide Maker
user: Falkirk
By Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk 2017-01-31 11:35:14  
Can anyone answer this? I'm genuinely curious to see if LS's are using PUP's to tank Schah now, or if it's an old strat I'm just now hearing about.

We've been using PUP to tank Schah since last May, and probably weren't the first to do so.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-31 11:39:14  
Quetzalcoatl.Falkirk said: »

We've been using PUP to tank Schah since last May, and probably weren't the first to do so.

Interesting, thanks for the response.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 11:46:57  
Also, does anyone have a decent PUP lua that I can use as a base? Being so new to the job, I am hesitant to trust random luas.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-01-31 16:30:52  
Also, does anyone have a decent PUP lua that I can use as a base? Being so new to the job, I am hesitant to trust random luas.

That could be difficult to find. The majority of PUPs I know don't bother with Gearswap because it doesn't work with the Automaton anyway. If you wanted it for master stuff or...nuking/healing on the automaton that works. Otherwise it's pretty worthless.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 16:36:24  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

That could be difficult to find. The majority of PUPs I know don't bother with Gearswap because it doesn't work with the Automaton anyway. If you wanted it for master stuff or...nuking/healing on the automaton that works. Otherwise it's pretty worthless.

I'm surprised to hear this, given how important a good lua is to BST.

What's the deal then, idle in your tank gear and have macros for each maneuver and then a few notepad swaps? That sounds...not fun.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2017-01-31 16:57:49  

I haven't seen a good one for PUP yet. I'm looking at getting back into the job myself and there just isn't much in the way of good lua's out there for it. Nothing like Falkirk's excellent BST one, for sure.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-01-31 17:09:05  
Gearswap works the same for PUP as any other job. The only difference is the automaton WS and casts are server side, so it won't precast for WS and spells. You can midcast auto spells and set up rules to idle in pet FC gear or pet tank gear whether you're engaged or idle or what have you.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-01-31 17:14:30  
Okay, so just strip down my BST lua for pet engaged and idle sets and reward stuff essentially.

Thanks
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20