Microsoft Now Owns Blizzard?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Microsoft now owns Blizzard?
Microsoft now owns Blizzard?
 Asura.Kenaithus
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kenaithus 2023-07-19 14:25:30  
Welp, so far:

- CoD servers Fixed
- Blizzard games will be on Steam (I have some reparations but… well Battlenet launcher was not bad but those abusive prices and customer support)

It won’t be (probably) the “golden era Blizzard) but i think this will be ages better than what there is now
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-07-20 18:37:33  
Afania said: »
Jetackuu said: »
The lack of Japanese games and that terribly huge xbox 360 power adapter is the main reason why I regretted my xbox 360 purchase, and never want another xbox again.
Why on earth would this be a factor in anything? It was external and made the console lighter...

How does hardware design not a factor in anything if it affects aesthetics as a whole and space taken?

I am quite certain hardware design is one of many reasons why xbox had difficulty winning console war in Japan because people just don't prefer hardware design like this.

Edit: some of the posts in this thread explained the design preference difference better than I did. Huge power adapter is one thing that I find it "rough" in terms of hardware design, it is not the only factor for the final decision but it adds up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/14u594/why_xbox_failed_in_japan/

Except we aren't talking about the aesthetics of the console. Engineering wise it's better for the ac>dc conversion to be external not internal, there's no logical argument there.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-07-20 23:15:16  
Blazed1979 said: »
I'd love, for once, to see a debate on here between two opposing opinions without it getting personal.
Yo momma
[+]
By Afania 2023-07-21 03:13:32  
Except we aren't talking about the aesthetics of the console. Engineering wise it's better for the ac>dc conversion to be external not internal, there's no logical argument there.

But we were. The original discussion was why xbox didn't sell more units. For most of the consumers 2 main biggest factor behind choosing a console was 1) having games that they want to play 2) hardware aesthetics. Only small amount of consumers would care about "logically better choice in engineering".

Judging from the fact that smaller/cuter consoles like Switch sells super well in Japan and xbox360 didn't despite it had quite a bit of Japanese games, I fail to see how aesthetics isn't a strong reason behind Japanese purchasing behaviour.

And since Japan is a very big market for console, I would say aesthetics definitely plays an important role in console war results.
By Trillium 2023-07-21 05:21:40  

But we were. The original discussion was why xbox didn't sell more units. For most of the consumers 2 main biggest factor behind choosing a console was 1) having games that they want to play 2) hardware aesthetics. Only small amount of consumers would care about "logically better choice in engineering".

Judging from the fact that smaller/cuter consoles like Switch sells super well in Japan and xbox360 didn't despite it had quite a bit of Japanese games, I fail to see how aesthetics isn't a strong reason behind Japanese purchasing behaviour.

And since Japan is a very big market for console, I would say aesthetics definitely plays an important role in console war results.

Would also add a 3rd to it, and that is where friends/family are playing.

1005 agree about the engineering/tflops etc lol having much effect for most buying choices. I was talking to folks about ray tracing at work, and their eyes just glazed over. This was to a friend who prizes graphics over all else too. He even said he won't buy a switch because it doesn't have the best graphics... so someone more likely to care. (did some somewhat interested after I boiled it down to making games look better potentially)
By Afania 2023-07-21 05:32:53  
Trillium said: »
He even said he won't buy a switch because it doesn't have the best graphics... so someone more likely to care. (did some somewhat interested after I boiled it down to making games look better potentially)

It depends on the people tbh. I know more than one friend irl who isn't a serious gamer by any means but they bought a switch only because it is popular. Then they bought one Nintendo game and play a few times and done...

I bet People like that will never buy a serious console like xbox nor ps5 but they'd buy a switch only because it's "fashion"...
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2023-07-21 08:34:48  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Metroid also
ofc. forgot about that one. But never tried it. We had a choice for my brother's birthday to buy Castlevania or Metroid. Never regretted the choice.

I wonder what the gaming market would be today if SEGA had survived as a console.
When we saw sonic and Altered beasts in the window shops, that NES suddenly seemed like garbage.

Well see... one night at the video game christmas party, they kinda had too much to drink, and a year later we get Metroidvania.

https://afterimagegame.com

Seriously that game is gorgeous.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-07-21 12:32:29  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Metroid also
ofc. forgot about that one. But never tried it. We had a choice for my brother's birthday to buy Castlevania or Metroid. Never regretted the choice.

I wonder what the gaming market would be today if SEGA had survived as a console.
When we saw sonic and Altered beasts in the window shops, that NES suddenly seemed like garbage.
I went thru the EXACT same thing with Metroid v. Castlevania, made the same decision. Sorry, WAY off-topic, but I can't speak about Castlevania w/o talking about SOTN, which reminds me of the best year of my life. I went thru 2x PS that year.

SOTN: Oct. 3, 1997
MGS: Oct 20, 1998
FFVII: Sept. 7, 1997

AND

SEGA Dreamcast was designed by a time-traveller who went to the future, and came back with the greatest console of all times.

EDIT: Sorry I thought this was RT thread!

Microsoft gonna be fine. Blizzard gonne be fine. They need to bring back the Neversoft developers of the original THPS and make a THPS MMO that has THE WHOLE WORLD TO GRIND >:]

Ok that was on subject.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-07-22 08:45:00  

Only a moron buys a console based on how it looks.

Japan didn't buy the xbox as it isn't a Japanese console. It doesn't take much pondering to realize that.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 10:05:28  
There were upper-middle-class kids that were able to get the latest console.

...and then there were the kids who actually had a f_cking neo-geo at home.
[+]
By Afania 2023-07-22 10:50:30  

Japan didn't buy the xbox as it isn't a Japanese console. It doesn't take much pondering to realize that.

Japanese didn't buy xbox because the design doesn't follow Japanese aesthetics preferences, they prefer smaller, elegant consoles with no rough edges. Xbox is not that, it's bulky and puts "power" on a higher priority. It also cuts a lot of corners when they try to keep the price low.

Japanese buy Apple's iphone like crazy, iPhone pretty much dominated Japanese Mobile phone market at 55%. iPhone is not made by Japanese. Which proves that they obviously made choices by design and aesthetics, not entirely nationality.

There is an article on the internet documenting MS's history of trying to understand Japanese preference when they design the xbox console but ultimately failed because they couldn't change their "spend big money to get things done" mind set when it comes getting things done. Which ultimately leads to losing the console war in Japan.

MS probably thought the same, that's why they couldn't make money in Japan. Some people actually care about how our room looks and feels as a whole and would be picky with furnitures inside it. Especially these days when most console games are not even exclusive anymore. The incentive of owning a bulky looking console decreases when we don't even need them to play most games anymore.
By Jetackuu 2023-07-22 13:11:31  
unhuh
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-07-22 13:46:32  
There were upper-middle-class kids that were able to get the latest console.

...and then there were the kids who actually had a f_cking neo-geo at home.
When I was like 8 y/o I was taken by my friend to his neighbour next door to play games
He had an NES and was running Captain Tsubasa 2
I proudly flexed my CT2 knowledge by inputting an 18-character password (in hiragana, from memory!) to play a tough match against Hyuga/Bassam (if you were familiar with CT)
After having a nice session, and once we were about to leave, I noticed that nice NEO GEO sitting atop a cupboard
...among other consoles
"So, why the heck were we playing NES all this time?", a young me muttered to himself

MS probably thought the same, that's why they couldn't make money in Japan. Some people actually care about how our room looks and feels as a whole and would be picky with furnitures inside it.
Aesthetic design is definitley a factor in deciding what gadget you wanna buy.
I never had any real incentive to buy any Xbox release, and the bulky design helped make the perspective of a purchase even less appealing. On the other hand, I'm thankful that most PS releases ranged from nice to ok.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 13:54:50  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
(if you were familiar with CT)
Am I familiair?!
this soundtrack is still ringing in my head 30 years later!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-07-22 14:19:13  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
(if you were familiar with CT)
Am I familiair?!
this soundtrack is still ringing in my head 30 years later!
Had to ask XD
Metal Yuuki is fondly remembered as a great composer of the 8-bit era