[Fun] What Is The Most WTF Thing In FFXI?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » [Fun] What is the most WTF thing in FFXI?
[Fun] What is the most WTF thing in FFXI?
By RadialArcana 2024-02-22 09:26:57  
The most wtf thing in this game is the having HP/MP stat on so many pieces of gear, why would you do this?

Look at this:

The game has to show HP/MP values of EVERYONE in your party / alliance. This is highest tier of importance of data sent to and from the server, since the healer needs to see the tanks hp etc.

So you have a game with a limited data connection rate to the server, you have a UI that needs to update these HP/MP values at the highest priority. You know gear swapping becomes a thing, you know users create adons like gearswap that changes gear constantly (and to a ridiculous level btw, the people that made gearswap should have put limits on it) and knowing all that you put HP/MP values on vast amounts of gear needlessly.

This is part of why we lag so bad in DynaD and Ody, cause of gearswap and so much gear with hp/mp values on it.

The problem is that you effectively shove the problem of some guy using gearswap to a ridiculous level, onto everyone else in the group. Cause every time his HP/MP changes from any swap it has to be shunted to literally every single persons UI too, constantly. Now imagine precast and aftercast and all that other stuff, now imagine everyone is the party / alliance is doing that and imagine how much data is being shunted to every single persons UI from all these hp/mp changes constantly.

If some guy went through the database and removed 80% of the hp/mp values on stuff like a necklace or a ring, the game would instantly function better in group content. Additionally, remove MP being shown from any job that does not have native MP. Why do I need to know the sam/war has 50mp (merit) and 60 mps a second later cause that ring he swaps in has 10 mp on it, then back to 50 a second later. Needless data causing congestion.
[+]
By Tanag 2024-02-22 09:35:52  
I suspect it's a more generic packet request than just widescan. The same server function is probably called anytime a new NPC has to be loaded regardless of why. This would have been developed very early in the game dev cycle. It could be widely used in the code base and adding all these checks to it has a chance to break much more than widescan and add to server processing times/costs.

The simplest solution was something like the claim check.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vow
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: woVow
By Leviathan.Vow 2024-02-22 09:41:25  
jubes said: »
the only toilet in vana'diel is in a jail
There's a toilet in a storeroom in the Maze of Shakrami.
[+]
By Guyford 2024-02-22 10:00:30  
Reisenjima is the future in Rhapsodies, but its the present in VR.
By Karl87 2024-02-22 11:22:15  
The Magicite mission for Rank 4. When you have to collect the pre-req KIs and have to trade some coeurl meat to the Elvaan lad, the cutscene after with the mentally ill Elvaan woman is just very, very strange to me.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-22 11:29:54  
Karl87 said: »
The Magicite mission for Rank 4. When you have to collect the pre-req KIs and have to trade some coeurl meat to the Elvaan lad, the cutscene after with the mentally ill Elvaan woman is just very, very strange to me.

Most players didn't do this follow up quest.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2024-02-22 11:32:53  
Guyford said: »

If I'm remembering right the RoV Reisenjima is present day. What would the point in killing CoD in the future when its already killed everyone else?
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-22 11:46:18  
Reisenjima exists in both.

Quote:
The cut-scene below is showing your failed attempt (as told to you by the disjoined one) to destroy the CoD in the future, where you call trust versions of your allies (cause CoD sucks the soul from living beings, so trust magic was created to fight it) and you discard darkness within you to become a being of light (and in doing so create the disjoined one). This however was a fail strategy because as a being of light you are not allowed to exist in Vana'diel and you are transported to paradise (and from there can't do anything), and now CoD takes over your dark self you shed earlier to make the dis-joined one and with its help destroys Vana'diel.

Iroha is saved by Phoenix at the point of death, but awakes in total darkness with everything destroyed. You later goto her as a spirit and send her back in time to help yourself in the past, to not make the same mistake again.

The CoD senses what you are doing with Iroha and sends the disjoined one back too, to stop you. It effectively sends your future (dark) self back to fight you in the past.

Future cut-scenes in Reisenjima are in current time.
 Asura.Melliny
サーバ: Asura
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-02-22 12:08:45  
Good god that is some of the most iconic music in the entire series. 0:00 and 2:24 both. Brings back memories and a tear to the eye. Literally!

[+]
By Felgarr 2024-02-22 12:13:52  
Leviathan.Vow said: »

Pics or GTFO, respectfully.
 Lakshmi.Sahzi
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sahzi
By Lakshmi.Sahzi 2024-02-22 12:16:37  
RadialArcana said: »
The most wtf thing in this game is the having HP/MP stat on so many pieces of gear, why would you do this?

Look at this:

The game has to show HP/MP values of EVERYONE in your party / alliance. This is highest tier of importance of data sent to and from the server, since the healer needs to see the tanks hp etc.

So you have a game with a limited data connection rate to the server, you have a UI that needs to update these HP/MP values at the highest priority. You know gear swapping becomes a thing, you know users create adons like gearswap that changes gear constantly (and to a ridiculous level btw, the people that made gearswap should have put limits on it) and knowing all that you put HP/MP values on vast amounts of gear needlessly.

This is part of why we lag so bad in DynaD and Ody, cause of gearswap and so much gear with hp/mp values on it.

The problem is that you effectively shove the problem of some guy using gearswap to a ridiculous level, onto everyone else in the group. Cause every time his HP/MP changes from any swap it has to be shunted to literally every single persons UI too, constantly. Now imagine precast and aftercast and all that other stuff, now imagine everyone is the party / alliance is doing that and imagine how much data is being shunted to every single persons UI from all these hp/mp changes constantly.

If some guy went through the database and removed 80% of the hp/mp values on stuff like a necklace or a ring, the game would instantly function better in group content. Additionally, remove MP being shown from any job that does not have native MP. Why do I need to know the sam/war has 50mp (merit) and 60 mps a second later cause that ring he swaps in has 10 mp on it, then back to 50 a second later. Needless data causing congestion.

Tldr;

The reason why my heals lag out causing the dds to hit the floor is their own damn fault.

Thank you for this!
[+]
 Leviathan.Vow
サーバ: Leviathan
user: woVow
By Leviathan.Vow 2024-02-22 13:37:30  
Felgarr said: »

https://imgur.com/a/ax8yEr1
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-02-22 14:17:13  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Carbuncle.Arakon said: »
It will always be the day I discover this secret in Reisenjima.

Reiseijima #4 has Indomitable Raaz and Jeering Pixie in the same area. It didn't struck as weird, until I notice that if you cross the river and proceed further, the first monster you will encounter is a Porxie.

How did the small fairy give birth to the much larger Porxie?
By Felgarr 2024-02-22 14:18:18  
Felgarr said: »

https://imgur.com/a/ax8yEr1

He's not wrong. Man's got cred.
By Guyford 2024-02-22 16:29:27  
Ragnarok.Creaucent said: »
Guyford said: »

If I'm remembering right the RoV Reisenjima is present day. What would the point in killing CoD in the future when its already killed everyone else?

I'm gonna go with to repopulate the world with porxies.
By Meeble 2024-02-22 16:55:31  
RadialArcana said: »

Look at this:

Yes, it's not the broken update prioritization in instanced zones or the twenty-year old dialup netcode, it's HP/MP on gear that's to blame. /s
[+]
 Phoenix.Gavroches
サーバ: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-02-22 17:30:04  
I dont know, I have no problem healing in big contents, nor bots… usually people still don’t understand the dt/def/mdef/meva/… or have very squishy sets for that pseudo 3 extra dmg/hour, or folks don’t understand the spell lock mechanism (any spell has a 3 seconds lock, so even 2 quick cast proc will take 6 sec). But yeah go blame the packets…

The porxie… that’s a WTF moment… thanks to whoever find that and WTF SE ?!?
 Carbuncle.Arakon
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2024-02-23 20:19:37  
Odin.Senaki said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Carbuncle.Arakon said: »
It will always be the day I discover this secret in Reisenjima.

Reiseijima #4 has Indomitable Raaz and Jeering Pixie in the same area. It didn't struck as weird, until I notice that if you cross the river and proceed further, the first monster you will encounter is a Porxie.

How did the small fairy give birth to the much larger Porxie?

Here's a scary thought, the fairy might not have survived the childbirth.

You see, across the river, the Indomitable Faaz is there with the Porxie, stuck with daddy duty, no fairy in sight right?

Well at night, the Asphyxiating Cyhiraeth pops up in the same area. Could it be the mama coming back to visit her child in the afterlife?

A tragic lesson of bad things that happen to Pixies who chose hang out with the wrong company.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2024-02-26 18:12:39  
Tanag said: »
I suspect it's a more generic packet request than just widescan. The same server function is probably called anytime a new NPC has to be loaded regardless of why.

What this guy said ^
As I mentioned, it's a standard core function that is simply lacking a distance check. It is *also* used by widescan, but it's not unique to it.

A key point of many of these cheats is that when designing the network protocol, SE prioritized "client smoothness" to security - hence why the client is the one in charge of positioning. It avoids the issue of rubberbanding entirely (which was pretty bad when WoW first released) and makes for a lot smoother user experience, at the expense of cheating becoming possible. There's a lot of other things like that.