users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Trial of Magian
Trial of Magian
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-25 09:20:32  
Aye, I was camping Serpopard Ishtar with a full alliance last night... Poor *** has never had anyone even get off their chocobo to kill him, now he has full alliances after him.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-25 23:50:17  
Odin.Blazza said:
@ Nightfyre: more importantly though, blu can't use joyeuse.

...well then Blazza, what would you reccemend a blu would use, and would you even dare try the trial of magian for a new weapon?

just b.c I'm a fellow Blue Mage at 75 , just recently....
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-26 00:07:04  
I'm not blazza but I will tell you this in any situation you are meleeing much the double attack on with higher dmg is good. I'm currently done with the first 3 trials on that path need 3-6 more to go depending on if I wimp out and don't do VNMs for the higher dmg double att.

NOthing else the dps on them is pretty dang good. The stat ones are kinda meh if you got koggles already. 4str/4dex >> 4 str 12 att for blu.

Could do -5pdt 4 vit one for blood tanking situations maybe. Combine that with with genbu and probably prevent more dmg then earth staff. While still keeping swd so you keep spells accurate.

Maybe the eneffects might be coolish.
 Siren.Talonn
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-26 00:11:03  
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Odin.Blazza said:
...well then Blazza, what would you reccemend a blu would use, and would you even dare try the trial of magian for a new weapon?

Antea isn't hard to get. It takes time, like all the good stuff in this game. Im currently on last stage for the:
DMG:40 delay:(i forget)
occasionally attacks twice
sword.

3 Serpoptaurd Ishtar
3 tottering Toby
3 Drooling Daisy
(this can easily be done within a reasonable amount of time, unless the NMs decide to be stupid.
400 birds - This is ANY form of bird. Meaning bats, and colibri work.
300 Cluster Bombs - My current stage. This one will be interesting because of the lack of mobs. I might wait for some people on my server to catch up so we can duo/PT on it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-26 00:18:09  
Odin.Blazza said:
Nope ; ; Believe me, I'm stoked about Antea. Really hoping the proc rate is good, been wanting a multihit for BLU for a long time.
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Odin.Blazza said:

Also not Blazza, but I'll second everything Dasva said (with the exception of the sword/shield combo somehow preventing more damage than Earth/Terra's). If it procs like Joyeuse it's our new best offhand and arguably the best mainhand when soloing too. If you have it I'd use Koggelmander over the Soulsabers and Nobilis; I'd probably do the same given Perdu but imo that falls back into the mix a bit more than Koggelmander. As far as weapons before those... I said Erlking's + Beast Slayer before the update and kind of want to still because working on a Nobilis or Soulsaber takes away from time you could spend getting Perdu, Koggelmander, or Antea.

As far as it being hard to get or no, depends on how much interest your shell has in doing VNMs.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-26 00:31:56  
The reason I said it will probably prevent more dmg is because after soloing alot of lvls of parrying/shield on rdm/blu the dmg difference from random dagger/genbu vs terra staff whatever the vit strap was negligle. And seeing as I was going large numbers of mobs at the same time with phalanx to finish the dmg down even small difference were usually pretty noticable in survival rate.

Now sure blu has no shield skill. But this will be another 5% so yeah. Really 36 def with cocoon vs 5 more pdt.. not to mention you are actually accomplishing something with a swd on lol

Speaking of which hmmm might want that for rdm.
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-26 00:42:46  
You can fully unlocking Antea as i am without VNM items.
VNM items are need for certain paths, but not all. This may affect the outcome of the attacking twice effect.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-26 00:51:37  
Siren.Talonn said:
You can fully unlocking Antea as i am without VNM items.
VNM items are need for certain paths, but not all. This may affect the outcome of the attacking twice effect.
May or may not. What it's known to affect is the base damage of the weapon... even at 50% proc rate, the non-VNM route isn't really worthwhile.
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-26 01:34:30  
DMG40 Antea with 2 attack chance is Non-VNM route.
you only need to kill 300 cluster bombs.

VNM Antea is delay related and keeps the DMG23
you need to trade 10 Ruth(whatever's) nails
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-26 01:49:30  
Siren.Talonn said:
DMG40 Antea with 2 attack chance is Non-VNM route.
you only need to kill 300 cluster bombs.

VNM Antea is delay related and keeps the DMG23
you need to trade 10 Ruth(whatever's) nails
You've got them backwards and I'm pretty sure you've got the final trial on the D:23 path (clusters) wrong.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-26 02:07:05  
Yeah to get the 40 dmg you need to go VNM... I mean really why would the easier route get the better weapon?
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-26 02:34:01  
Ruthven isn't hard fyi. ANd yes, i checked Magian moogle now.
Cluster bombs get Delay -6 which can then branch to
10 nails - top sword
or
500 vermin for delay -12
to
600 demeons for delay -14
to
delay +36
occ. attacks twice

simple mistake. I check the stage after and thought i was on that one :\
And as i mentioned before, Ruthven isn't hard and can drop (so far found) up to 2 nails/kill. T3 VNM can be killed with a little more than a PT with no problems.

For those of you who don't do end game, i suggest you do because your gonna be whining yet again that the good stuff requires end game items.
 Tuv
By Tuv 2010-03-26 05:01:08  
Currently camping Ramponnaeu the frog in the past for polearm Trial 434. 4 DRGs here :D I dont know if any other job does this but, do you take it in turns to camp? Ive always done these with loads of DRGs, different timezones so some are sleeping while others are awake. While some sleep do you keep killing NMs so the other person gets the objective? Or are you like :O Hey, gtfo, work for your achievment!
 Siren.Talonn
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-26 05:07:49  
Tuv said:
Currently camping Ramponnaeu the frog in the past for polearm Trial 434. 4 DRGs here :D I dont know if any other job does this but, do you take it in turns to camp? Ive always done these with loads of DRGs, different timezones so some are sleeping while others are awake. While some sleep do you keep killing NMs so the other person gets the objective? Or are you like :O Hey, gtfo, work for your achievment!
I PT'd all my NM kills. IF you are working together then i don't see why it would be a problem if one fell asleep and you helped them get credit. No need to be selfish about it. On the higher tiers it may be beneficial to have more people on the same trial as you so that it is easier to get done.
 Tuv
By Tuv 2010-03-26 05:12:32  
Yeh, my LS are on T3 for the VNMs so shouldnt be a problem geting help for them. I always kill things if people are asleep though, they do the same for me. I tend to end up camping the NMs with the same people anyway, we seem to be going at the same pace. Finally getting close to a nice lance! Trying to be the first in my endgame LS to get one XD
For my dynamis/social LS im the only DRG... so, high chance of me being the first/only =/ lol. Been camping NMs for 4 days straight now.
 Diabolos.Rydiya
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Rydiya
By Diabolos.Rydiya 2010-03-26 05:15:02  
Tuv said:
WHMs, at least here on Diabolos all team up.
 Ifrit.Duanyu
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-03-26 06:24:51  
Tuv said:
Yeh, my LS are on T3 for the VNMs so shouldnt be a problem geting help for them. I always kill things if people are asleep though, they do the same for me. I tend to end up camping the NMs with the same people anyway, we seem to be going at the same pace. Finally getting close to a nice lance! Trying to be the first in my endgame LS to get one XD
For my dynamis/social LS im the only DRG... so, high chance of me being the first/only =/ lol. Been camping NMs for 4 days straight now.

yea i pretty much finished my lance yesterday, at least up to shoggoth, but now im stuck. Pretty sure the T2 VNM's will destroy me solo, so i guess im going to have to wait until the rest of ifrit population doing polearm catches up /sigh.