フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 19:09:13  
fonewear said: »
170 bucks yea I'll pass on that.

I don't know man, 170bucks seems like a steal for a box of vagina repellent.

Page 2'd!

Time to put the "Dragon" in Dragon Age.

By fonewear 2014-05-13 19:32:33  
The game does look good but the last time I bought a collector's edition I think it was like 70 bucks.

I don't need all the extra stuff. The only exception I would make is for Elder Scrolls or Fallout.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-13 19:49:45  
need more CEs like BD's, or ESO's without the statue. Useless trinkets and baubles, and statues that you'd have to be a really diehard fan to display in your house, just up the cost. Soundtracks, artbooks, and lorebooks are really nice extras for $10~20 more.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 20:20:58  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
need more CEs like BD's, or ESO's without the statue. Useless trinkets and baubles, and statues that you'd have to be a really diehard fan to display in your house, just up the cost. Soundtracks, artbooks, and lorebooks are really nice extras for $10~20 more.

The art book will be available separately, which is welcome in my opinion. I wanted the Skyrim Art book so much, but then it came with all the extra stuff.

If you are interested, the Art book is available for Pre-order on Amazon.com

That said, I like where this particular CE is coming from, because it's just useless ***, there's no "One item most people probably would like" and then a bunch of markup items.

In general, I see the physical distribution model moving completely away from Standard Editions (In the reasonably distant future), and being solely the front of multiple collector-tier SKUs.

Little off topic, but Morrigan seems to be fitting into the ostentatious Orlesian court well enough.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-13 22:05:38  
fonewear said: »
170 bucks yea I'll pass on that.

I say that now too, but I'll probably fork it out.

The series has been good to me, I really dig it, I'll feel kind of remiss if I don't. Lots of goodies there I dig.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-13 22:23:59  
oh god what have they done to her face
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-13 22:31:27  
She isn't a playable character, as if that wasn't a huge letdown in itself.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 22:44:47  
I always thought Morrigan was overrated, I'm personally hoping we get to kill the *** (Again, since it happened once already in Origin's Witch Hunt Expansion).
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-05-13 22:47:40  
Her story kept me going through the first game after it got woefully repetitive.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 22:51:39  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Her story kept me going through the first game after it got woefully repetitive.

Her story kind of was the game. Just because I hated her doesn't mean she wasn't important.

Also, in terms of who got thrashed with the next-gen ugly stick, I think Cassandra Pentaghast takes 1st place.
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2014-05-13 23:38:00  

The only thing that has really changed in that image of Morrigan is her hair, cheeks are still hollow and still the dark around her eyes and full lips. As long as she is still voiced by Claudia Black that's all that matters.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-13 23:44:48  
Asura.Ina said: »

The only thing that has really changed in that image of Morrigan is her hair, cheeks are still hollow and still the dark around her eyes and full lips. As long as she is still voiced by Claudia Black that's all that matters.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-04 05:24:00  
E3 Presentation Rehearsal. Less than a Week left.

Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-06-04 06:06:29  

Meth
By fonewear 2014-06-04 06:48:58  
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Asura.Ina said: »

That woman scared me...in a good way.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-04 07:18:35  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

Meth

Well, there's a reason why Orlais is called The Masked Empire. Everyone looks like freaks.

Just wait until you see Gwendoline Christie's character Empress Celene I. Think Gothmog with ***.

Dual purpose screenshot! Purpose 1, Sometimes characters look really bad just because Lighting in games isn't particularly good. Purpose 2: if you look up on the roof, you can actually see a painting of Empress Celene.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-06-04 08:32:26  
I have high expectations for 3 and I sort of expect to be let down.

Unlike many people, I liked 2 a lot. But they've already ignored DLC in the past, so what happens with 2? What is kept canon and not?

I'm assuming your characters from the first (if alive) and second have to make an appearance. Yet even if you and Leliana swore undying love to each other in the first one, your warden is sorely absent from her life.

One thing I really like about the ME series was the ability to keep the relationships readily present throughout all three games. They seem to be having a harder time allowing player choices to carry through all three DA games.
By fonewear 2014-06-04 08:34:20  
I'm very rarely excited about games but this game has certainly gotten my attention. Most of the games I want (Fallout 4 Elder Scrolls VI) probably won't be out for a long time. So it is nice to have a game in between that looks pretty damn good.

Hopefully at E3 there will be some RPG's announced worth looking into.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-04 09:30:16  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I have high expectations for 3 and I sort of expect to be let down.

Unlike many people, I liked 2 a lot. But they've already ignored DLC in the past, so what happens with 2? What is kept canon and not?

I'm assuming your characters from the first (if alive) and second have to make an appearance. Yet even if you and Leliana swore undying love to each other in the first one, your warden is sorely absent from her life.

One thing I really like about the ME series was the ability to keep the relationships readily present throughout all three games. They seem to be having a harder time allowing player choices to carry through all three DA games.

The events of Dragon Age 2 are still canon, as are all the events (Including DLC) of Dragon Age: Origins. An important thing about the DLC from Origins and "Being Ignored" is that most of the problems stem from internal Logic issues with importing, not intentional writing choices.

The Dragon Age Keep is designed to address all these logic issues so that false states no longer happen.

The one "Retcon" I know of is that Leliana is alive no matter what. In Dragon Age: Origins you can kill her during the "Urn of Sacred Ashes" if you defile the Ashes of Andraste. (Unlock the Reaver Class). Leliana serves as the Inquisition's spymaster, so she has a very major role in the game. About as major a role as you can get without being a party member.

She is not a Romance though. The original quote I remember is "No previous love-interest characters will be available for Romance in Inquisition." I feel that's specifically targeted at Leliana, Alaistair and Morrigan.

The Warden and Hawke are confirmed to make an appearance, I have my own theory of what they'll be doing, but I don't want to post any story spoilers here. It's just a crackpot theory, but it involves a confirmed event in the beginning of the game.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-10 11:56:00  
In about Twenty minutes, Twitch will be showing a 30minute livestream demo.

This will probably be the make or break moment. It's too close to release than any massively glaring issues would be resolved.

Dead Island 2 right now, Inquisition at 10:30PST
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-06-10 11:59:37  
In about five minutes, Twitch will be showing a 30minute livestream demo. This will probably be the make or break moment. It's too close to release than any massively glaring issues would be resolved.

Will have to wait until I'm home around 5:00 and hope someone posts a video. But I bet Bioware themselves posts it on Facebook or w/e, so we'll see what happens.

I'm not looking to romance anyone from prior games, as they're already set for me. Leliana and my warden, Isabela and Hawke.

I just want to see them carried forward.

That said, in one of the endings to Witch Hunt, you can follow your Warden with her through the mirror bit. I find myself wanting to know how they accomodate that.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-10 12:04:11  
In about five minutes, Twitch will be showing a 30minute livestream demo. This will probably be the make or break moment. It's too close to release than any massively glaring issues would be resolved.

Will have to wait until I'm home around 5:00 and hope someone posts a video. But I bet Bioware themselves posts it on Facebook or w/e, so we'll see what happens.

I'm not looking to romance anyone from prior games, as they're already set for me. Leliana and my warden, Isabela and Hawke.

I just want to see them carried forward.

That said, in one of the endings to Witch Hunt, you can follow your Warden with her through the mirror bit. I find myself wanting to know how they accomodate that.

There's a ton of playthroughs being done today and tomorrow, most slightly different. At the very least, each demo will feature a different Protagonist character class/race/gender combo.

Edit:Twitch Stream archived video Dragon Age: Inquisition starts at about 1:44:00.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-17 22:49:37  

Depending on how much you value the opinion of the press in the Media Circus that is E3, you could argue DA:I won some people over with their 36 minute demo.

Cut down E3 demo. Pretty much the same as the Linked Twitch from E3 but much higher quality. The full 35minute demo may surface through unofficial or official channels eventually. A few Shakey-cams have already been taken down, but they typically were only half the presentation

Only things really interesting (see: New) out of E3

1) Ambitious customization-forging-crafting system made it into the alpha which means it'll be in the final version

2) Female Qunari was shown for the first time in game.

3) Few new characters shown, the big *** "Iron Bull" sounds like Idris Elba (Heimdal of Thor Fame), then there's a Toe-headed Elf girl and I think Doc Holliday from Tombstone.

Biggest criticism is that the in-cutscene character models still look way too wax-figure like for my tastes.

The Demo was played on a High-End PC with an Xbox One controller. (Openly admitted, no Bait&Switch)
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2014-06-18 02:06:47  
The one "Retcon" I know of is that Leliana is alive no matter what. In Dragon Age: Origins you can kill her during the "Urn of Sacred Ashes" if you defile the Ashes of Andraste. (Unlock the Reaver Class). Leliana serves as the Inquisition's spymaster, so she has a very major role in the game. About as major a role as you can get without being a party member.
If you were to count beyond the games Wynne and Shale both had major roles in Dragon Age: Asunder which was all about how the mage rebellion was triggered. It also had one very big point which I'm not sure they will just sweep under a rug since it's sorta a big deal with regards to the mages.

There was also a comic series revolving around Varric, Isabella and Alistair I think but I never looked into that so have no idea what went on. Bioware does how a tendency to keep some to keep some big points and discard others. In The Calling for example Duncun was the typical joking rouge type character but Riordan comments that he was always serious and timeline wise it doesn't match up to what Alistair says about him being close to his Calling. But they still kept Utha(?) with the Architect and that it was the Architect who triggered the blight.

So there is potential for them to "fix" that Wynne, Shale and Alistair survived DAO but I really couldn't guess one way or another with them.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-20 16:09:12  
Not sure how long this one will last. It's been up for a few days now with a non-cloaking name, and as a bonus, it's actually in 1080p. Still, EA may take this down so have a look while you can. This only represents 1/2 the Demo. (But has the entire Dragon Fight at least)

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-09 05:14:37  
Big Infodump yesterday.

I generally try to stick with critical gameplay information because I approach this game from the perspective of someone burned by DA2 for it's shift in gameplay, but I decided not to just cut the character spoilers out entirely. Open them at your own peril.

Q&A session with Mark, Cameron and Laidlaw said:
The Inquisitor/Character creation

* Voice Actors are Jon Curry (American M), Sumalee Montano (American F), Harry Hadden-Patton (British M), and Alix Wilton Regan (British F)
* Character creation happens before the opening cutscenes, like in Origins
* Mounts do not increase inventory size, though Laidlaw considers the idea ‘interesting’
* The Inquisitor can take part in the Grand Game of the Orlesian nobility
* The Human Inquisitor’s Trevelyan family is unrelated to the Amell, Hawke, or Cousland bloodlines
* The Inquisitor can take prisoners of war and sentence them
* The Inquisitor cannot have chest hair
* There are options to give the Inquisitor scars in character creation
* Conflicting information about freckles; Mike Laidlaw confirms, Mark Darrah denies
* The Inquisitor will be treated as a ‘holy figure’ by certain NPCs
* Every race of Inquisitor has a concrete background, but will begin the game in the same place
* The Inquisitor’s race will have a constant effect throught the game
* The Dwarf Inquisitor is a surface dwarf
* The Inquisitor may have central heterochromia, but not complete heterochromia; the color of both inner and outer iris can be changed in character generation, but having both eyes be different was crashing the UI
* Non-mage Human Inquisitor is a noble

Basic character background information can be found here. which is useful to contextualize the following information if you so desire. Moderate to severe spoilers. The intro blurbs are fairly benign, but each character has an in-depth interview with the writer that gives away quite a bit.

Equipment

* NO CAPES
* Mages are able to wear proper armor with the correct crafting materials
* Qunari (Iron Bull and Qunquisitor) do not wear helmets, but have another kind of gear in their place
* Basil is a crafting agent
* Equipment crafting is based off Templates rather than strict recipes. This allows a piece of gear to be crafted mostly independently from either it's physical appearence or stats. Meaning if you like how a piece of gear looks, you can use its "Template" with better materials to create an approximation at the appropriate level of power.
* Armor is Class restricted, except for custom forged equipment. Meaning if you want a Mage in plate mail, you have to assemble your own armor.

Specializations

* Specializations are to be earned, rather than freely given or unlocked
* Knight-Enchanter is designed to encourage mage Inqusitors into melee combat. It is desicrbed as “less tanky” than Arcane Warrior
* Necromancy is not as reviled as blood magic’ it is more of a ‘grey area’. In Nevarra, it is considered a sacred magic to be treated with respect

General Gameplay

* It is possible for the demons to win the war
* The game does not end when you finish the main story, much like an Elder Scrolls title. New Game Plus has been discussed but there are currently no concrete plans.
* Unlike Mass Effect 3, there are no ‘war assets’ to be earned or missed opportunities if the player does not have enough.
* Many abilities and spells will be returning from previous games, and they will be accompanied by newer ones
* Control over Fade Rifts can provide “intereting combat abilities”
* There will be both moments where choices the Inquisitor makes are very black and white- ie, Option A or Option B- and moments where major choices can have multiple outcomes depending on previous player actions
* Skyhold Keep is “highly customizeable”; there are options to rebuild parts of it and perform crafting and research’
* Skyhold Keep has “a ton” of people, including Advisors, Companions, and NPCs
* Information about the Dragon Age Keep savefile system should be released around August or September
* Warriors can bash down obstacles, while Mages can repair things

Combat

*Combat settings will range from easy to nightmare, as in previous Dragon Age games, but there is not (yet, at least) a story mode.
*You can only have up to one specialization in DA:I, unlike previous Dragon Age games.
* Weapons are still restricted by class.
* All rogues can use bows — there is no “archer” specialization.
* No mabari in combat.
* You’ll be able to quick travel to any Inquisition camps you’ve established in your current region, which allows you to rest and recover health.
* There’s plenty returning abilities and spells from previous DA games, but a ton of new ones, too.
* "Having control over fade rifts may provide some interesting possibilities in combat”.
* Cross-class combos are back.
* "Knight Enchanters were designed to let mages get up close and personal and the abilities in that tree encourage you to do so, including the ability to be effective at melee ranges. They’re different from Arcane Warriors, though. Less tanky."
* Positioning, traps, and other preparatory manoeuvres are all available and even a good idea against some of the more difficult fights.
* You can jump, but there won’t be complex climbing dynamics.
* There is no weaponless combat, as in the DAO-style punching.
* If you get into a fight with friendly, non-companion NPCs around, they will typically come and help out (presuming they’re warriors).
* Certain specializations will affect moments in the story.

Misc.
* No pysical Deluxe Edition for Europe. The items in Deluxe Edition will be offered as paid DLC instead.
* Tarot Cards from Inquisitor’s Edition may or may not be offered separately due to unforseen high demand
* The Inquisition will not be visiting Kal-Sharok

And cause why the *** not:
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-09 12:12:38  

I don't always bump threads with a post train, but when I do it's because Bioware officially released the first half of the E3 demo, full-screen with no goddamn shaky-cam.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-09 12:27:40  
I am excitement.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-07-09 12:28:38  
Quote:
The Inquisitor cannot have chest hair

This seems oddly specific. Plot point?

Edit: nevermind. This is totally because of Varric.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-09 12:30:45  
Quote:
The Inquisitor cannot have chest hair

This seems oddly specific. Plot point?

Edit: nevermind. This is totally because of Varric.

I was actually watching a good chunk of the Q&A as it unfolded, and yeah I can confirm it was only a reference to lolVarric, who's chest hair has this kind of cult following.

About 2/3 of the questions were stupid things like that, but that's what happens on open mic night.