users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Verified by visa/secure code
Verified by visa/secure code
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-03 02:15:46  
I got visa certified today or whatever but i'm LM-21 i think was message, i dont have appropriate funds :P yah i got laid off last month my debit cards -200$ in the hole and unemployments only 160/wk for me so it'll be a few weeks
 Fairy.Blackmist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-08-03 02:18:58  
heheh... i dont Qualify for Unemployment i didn't get 200 hours in at my last Temp Job.. =\ 2... years ago... ive been Spamming appalcations with nothin but Rejection, so i work for my old boss, yard work and ***like that he oues me a good 50$ >.>;

Donate now! the [I need to play FFXI] Fund... Just 1 Dollar gets me closer to playing, donate now, and um... get a free tele/retrace on Fairy? XD
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-03 02:31:01  
yeah it sux tho cuz i was all like hellbent on lvling my ninja and then bam i get *** yo
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-03 02:33:22  
the *** up part is i didnt actually get booted for non payment, i stayed logged in for several days like i usually do even if afk bazaaring, anyway i logged off to grab some gil a mule sold on AH and i got teh LM-21 =(
 Bismarck.Rinako
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2009-08-03 02:36:06  
Pakalolo said:

Step 3 Mass sales of FF14 on day 1.... SE makes millions the suits are happy.

i wouldn't even waste my time on 14 if they screwed me over once. lol
 Pandemonium.Vite
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vite 2009-08-03 02:58:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Psyence said:
Sounds pretty simple to me... I had to use "Verified by VISA" several times to buys things over the internet before. And as stupid as this may be, it's just another damn password you have to make and remember... >.>

Now if you credit card company doesn't support that program, I guess you can just make a 500$ CC with another company that does... How hard is that? Unless you have a TERRIBLE credit score, any financial instution will gladly send you a card in the mail the next business day... >.>

SE making our life miserable? Of course they are, but that's nothing new, so why don't we just all calm down and stop acting like it is the worse evar PR mistake of Square Enix?

Becuase this is just a game, I'll go to the bank and get a new CC if i can't get my electricty back or can't pay my phone bills. Not when a gay *** *** *** company thinks their game is everything the world revolves around.

FU square-enix

P.S. Aion is kick *** and they care about their customers.
 Valefor.Quickmart
サーバ: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Quickmart 2009-08-03 03:14:46  
This has nothing to do with accounts being sold RMT /tells or making you more secure. This removes penalties SE incurs from charge backs.

Before this every time someone had a billing problem and says to hell with sitting on hold with SE for hours and had their bank or credit card company handle it, and the charge is reversed, SE payed a fee for it. So rather than improve their 6+ year old billing system they're just moving liability onto the card issuer.
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-08-03 09:37:46  
Rinako said:
Pakalolo said:

Step 3 Mass sales of FF14 on day 1.... SE makes millions the suits are happy.

i wouldn't even waste my time on 14 if they screwed me over once. lol

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but all this crap SE is doing and has done, makes me never want to play another SE supported game again.
 Ragnarok.Tyrian
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Tyrian 2009-08-03 09:51:10  
Quickmart said:
This has nothing to do with accounts being sold RMT /tells or making you more secure. This removes penalties SE incurs from charge backs.

Before this every time someone had a billing problem and says to hell with sitting on hold with SE for hours and had their bank or credit card company handle it, and the charge is reversed, SE payed a fee for it. So rather than improve their 6+ year old billing system they're just moving liability onto the card issuer.

Which sounds like a great conspiracy theory... except for the fact that this only applies to PC-users. PS2 and Xbox360 users are still able to use unverified accounts the same as they used to.

An LS member contacted support, and they stated that it was PC-only. He then confirmed this a couple days later when he had to change his billing options. On the PC, it asked for the "Verified by Visa" information. So he logged out of his PC, logged into his Xbox, and updated his payment information there... and was never taken through the verification steps. He is now back in the game, using his updated information, unverified through a console.
[+]
 Hades.Hatekhaos
サーバ: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-08-03 09:54:35  
I tried to have a friend do the update for me and couldnt do it on xbox says I didnt have a gamer tag or something? any ideas?
tx
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-08-03 10:50:31  
pick up a 1 month subscription to xbox live, or have a friend with a PS2/3 do it for you.
 Bahamut.Hatekhaos
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Hatekhaos 2009-08-03 10:52:01  
Littledarc said:
pick up a 1 month subscription to xbox live, or have a friend with a PS2/3 do it for you.

tx will try
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-08-03 11:01:36  
np, every 360 gets a month of gold free. see if he used it yet.
 Ragnarok.Miraeldito
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Miraeldito 2009-08-03 11:18:49  
just a notice, my rechargable card isn't expired, had money on, is a visa electron, I've an european account.
that's the message i got yesterday:
User submitted image
guess this have omething to do with that, or not?
and no, I can't verify my CC on veifyedbyvisa
 Hades.Hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-08-03 11:26:37  
decided to contact POL for the hell of it (waiting for my friend to get home from work to try the 360 route again)

SEI POL Eric: well what I can do for you is get your contact information and put you into our contact system when have a direct CC update.
SEI POL Eric: We have been working on it extensively and so it should be up in the near future.

when i asked the time duration on the fix :

SEI POL Eric: Well we don't have a time because I was just told yesterday morning.
 Asura.Desperado
サーバ: Asura
user: Desp
By Asura.Desperado 2009-08-03 13:37:10  
So far SE wasn't really treating me well. And I been playing for more than 3 years.

1. Every month I was getting that same error (LM-21) for no valid reason. I had all my credit card information correct and I even checked with my card issuer if there were any declined transactions and they said there were nothing. Still, I talked to SE again and they said its rejected by the system. NOT MY FAULT!!! But still... I said okay SE, I will pay you for both reactivation and content ID... EVERY MONTH. Meaning I was paying them double every month.

2. I bought the security token and it never worked for me. I registered it once in SE account then I logged back to the same account and boom, there is no Security token!! How? it just disappeard. I try to input the serial number again but every time I try to register it, it says it's not valid. I contact them again to inquire about this and they tell me this can't happen. WELL.. IT DID!! So now what? I can't use it and I have to buy another one. Great. After 3 weeks of waiting, I get this.

3. NOW, I can't even log in to my account because of this new security. Well, I didn't want this, I didn't ask for it. How come I don't have a choice? My card issuer don't even support this. They don't even know about it. Even no institution in my country support it. I contact them again and they said that they don't accept any other way of payment. They also say that they implemented this to protect me. HUH? With all that protection we going through, you still want to protect me? I'm not a lvl1 WAR fighting Fafnir for you to Cast Protect VVVVVVV on me!!! And even you casted that it will wear in a second. Geez.

So what options do I have left? Right. QUIT! THAT'S RIGHT. IT'S WHAT THEY WANT.

But hell no am not quitting before I give them at least half the pain they give me.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-03 13:52:18  
Miraeldito said:
just a notice, my rechargable card isn't expired, had money on, is a visa electron, I've an european account.
User submitted image

I got the same thing. But I was never asked for secured by visa or whatever the hell they call it. Dont think that applies to EU version of POL. wonder how it is with JP version. anyone know? Maybe its just the NA version that get the verify by visa crap.
 Valefor.Forgjr
By Valefor.Forgjr 2009-08-03 14:10:17  
Tyrian said:
Quickmart said:

Which sounds like a great conspiracy theory... except for the fact that this only applies to PC-users. PS2 and Xbox360 users are still able to use unverified accounts the same as they used to.

An LS member contacted support, and they stated that it was PC-only. He then confirmed this a couple days later when he had to change his billing options. On the PC, it asked for the "Verified by Visa" information. So he logged out of his PC, logged into his Xbox, and updated his payment information there... and was never taken through the verification steps. He is now back in the game, using his updated information, unverified through a console.

Conspiracy theory nothing, its 100% correct. This aimed at NA customers on PC because thats the demographic that has a ton of chargebacks. Most JP play on ps2 and don't have to deal with this hassle. For now (might change) you can get around this by using a ps2 or xbox360 when you update your card.

Asked visa/mastercard about it, its a confirm system to prove you authorized so the merchant is not liable. Depending on the bank responsibility may not only not fall on the merchant but the bank might have a policy of "tough ***for you"

Quote:
I was snooping around in regards to this whole Verified by Visa and Secure Card business, and came across something interesting. This comes from a random banking website:

Quote:
CARDHOLDER PASSWORD AND SECURITY – You are solely responsible for
maintaining the confidentiality of your password, Registration Data and other verification
information established by you with Verified by Visa, and all activities that occur using your
password, Registration Data or other verification information supplied to or established by you
with Verified by Visa. You agree not to transfer or sell your use of, or access to, Verified by
Visa to any third party. You agree to immediately notify us, by contacting us as we require in
our Cardholder Agreement with you for a lost or stolen card, of any unauthorized use of your
password or other verification information, or any other breach of security. You acknowledge
and agree that, except as otherwise provided by Applicable Law or in our Cardholder
Agreement with you, Frost Bank shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your
failure to comply with this TOS.
This means that, say, someone hacks into your computer, and obtains your password for your "secure" Visa, this particular bank washes their hands of it, and you owe the full amount of the charges, local laws not withstanding.

On the Visa site, they defer to the ruling made by the bank:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/visa_security_program/zero_liability.html
The fine print said:
1Covers U.S.-issued cards only. Does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Individual provisional credit amounts are provided on a provisional basis and may be withheld, delayed, limited, or rescinded by your issuer based on factors such as gross negligence or fraud, delay in reporting unauthorized use, investigation and verification of claim and account standing and history. You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. Transaction at issue must be posted to your account before provisional credit may be issued. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer.
I'm trying to find my bank's terms to see if they, too, subscribe to the same philosophy as the Frost Bank.

SecureCode is no different, as far as I've seen, it defers to your financial institution's ToS.

So, as a word of warning, check what your rights are, and aren't.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-08-03 14:35:51  
Drteeth said:
Basically, if you already play, stop worrying so much.

I've played for 5 years; know 4 other people who have played a long time. All 5 characters I know of use PrePaid Credit Cards. These no longer work either. So that's 5 characters on my end that won't be playing anymore. Thank you POL for *** us once more. What will it be next?!

I would never in a million years have thought you'd have to have GOOD CREDIT to play a video game. How else you gonna have this required type of Credit Card?? We can't even use PayPal on this ***. Even other games let you use PayPal as a form of payment. This game is becoming too 1980's
 Valefor.Forgjr
By Valefor.Forgjr 2009-08-03 15:05:34  
Vintaru said:
Drteeth said:
Basically, if you already play, stop worrying so much.

I've played for 5 years; know 4 other people who have played a long time. All 5 characters I know of use PrePaid Credit Cards. These no longer work either. So that's 5 characters on my end that won't be playing anymore. Thank you POL for *** us once more. What will it be next?!

I would never in a million years have thought you'd have to have GOOD CREDIT to play a video game. How else you gonna have this required type of Credit Card?? We can't even use PayPal on this ***. Even other games let you use PayPal as a form of payment. This game is becoming too 1980's
Just so you know, not all prepaid cards are screwed, some can actually meet the new requirements. I heard miocard works. But most I've seen don't :/
 Remora.Redchaos
サーバ: Remora
user: Redchaos
By Remora.Redchaos 2009-08-03 15:06:21  
886 searching remora @4:05pm est 1:05 pst 3:05 cst
 Remora.Redchaos
サーバ: Remora
user: Redchaos
By Remora.Redchaos 2009-08-03 21:38:03  
if you are not able to use the verified by visa or master cards version,or if your bank isnt offering this service you are not screwed. you can get a free bank account at bankofamerica.com with a debit card that comes with verified by visa ready! all you have to do is make the free acccount at
http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/checksave/index.cfm?template=apply&ch_bag=CHMA

this is the path i picked to get back online hope this helps all who think they have no way to play again after this new screw up on SE's part
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-04 14:27:11  
While I do appreciate all these little "work-arounds", has anyone heard back from SE on this issue? I've sat on hold for 3 hours, sat on webchat idle for over 4, and sent 3 emails since the 2nd of August, no response from anything so far.

I sat back and thought of the options, and they all seem to be too much of a hassle for a simple game. I will not pay $5 USD to pick up a gift card simply so I can pay SE to play their game. There is no guarantee that said card will work next month when some new policy is enforced. Nor will I switch my bank to one that supports this protection scheme. Not when my bank has been more than adequate.

Just wondering if SE has gotten back to anyone yet about this issue. It seems to be affecting a large portion of the player base. Or am I the only one left out? :P
 Shiva.Clowdd
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-08-04 14:39:56  
Zanno said:
Miraeldito said:
User submitted image

I got the same thing. But I was never asked for secured by visa or whatever the hell they call it. Dont think that applies to EU version of POL. wonder how it is with JP version. anyone know? Maybe its just the NA version that get the verify by visa crap.

My father in law had to verify as well on non=prepaid CC. he's in the netherlands.
 Asura.Desperado
サーバ: Asura
user: Desp
By Asura.Desperado 2009-08-05 11:24:53  
Yeap am on the "waiting list" now. How long? They really don't know. All they know is the word "Escalate" my case and that they will contact me once they have a solution.

I'm only worried about my saplings lol. Been gardening. And this great security will kill my plants. Waste of 80k gilz or so. That's really great.

Even worse I just got my Soboro GK, never got to party using it. Ahh.

I love you POL.
[+]
 Hades.Hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2009-08-05 12:12:57  
SE called me to update my credit card info. I was suprised cause they called and left three messages and then called back until they got me. By then I had already gotten it taken cared off from XBOX.
Suprised the hell out of me when they called tbh.
 Carbuncle.Alistria
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: ryusadow
By Carbuncle.Alistria 2009-08-08 16:48:20  
I got a update for you. As it stands SE can UPDATE the cc info in POL, however, if there are "Past Due Fee's" They can't help you claiming to not have the ability to charge said fee's. Spent a good amount of time arguing with them on this in which they ask "Is there any other issues I can assist you with?"

-.-

You havn't fixed my first issue asshat....

So those of us who are out of the servers either find a card that works with this new service in all it's gay glory, or we wait until they "Contact us with a resolution" As they've told me.

I kind of have to agree with some people on the idea of thining out the servers prior to FFXIV's launch. Notice how all of this ***happens, and the FFXIV Site get's updated with info.

Cure SE.....REAL Cute....

So for the time being untill I can get back in I'm heading back to AoC.
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-08-13 14:14:42  
SE said:
We have received a number of questions regarding the newly added security feature on PlayOnline known as the Payer Authentication Service (3-D Secure). We would like to take this opportunity to help clear up certain questions you may have about the new service.

If you are a Visa customer, you can enroll in this service at the Verified By Visa(r) site: www.VerifiedByVisa.com

If you are a MasterCard customer, you can enroll in this service at the MasterCard SecureCode(r) site: www.SecureCode.com

All customers are now required to activate this service before registering a new account or making payment method changes to your current account using the PlayOnline viewer. However, since some credit cards are not eligible for this service, we ask that users that encounter this issue contact the Information Center for further assistance. Please be sure to check with your credit card company if you are not sure if this service is supported on your card.

If your card is eligible for this service, please be sure to register at the web site before you register for a new account or make payment method changes to a current account through the PlayOnline viewer.

If your card is not eligible for this service, we encourage you to contact the PlayOnline Information Center for further assistance.

* If your credit card is expiring and you do not have a 3-D secure compliant card, we ask that you wait until you receive your new card before contacting the Information Center.

* Please note that if you would like to make a new account for PlayOnline and FINAL FANTASY XI, you must have a 3-D Secure eligible card. If you have purchased the game, have not made a new account, and do not have a 3-D Secure eligible card, please contact the Information Center for a refund of your purchase.

If you have any questions about these new services, we encourage you to visit the above URLs or contact the PlayOnline Information Center at the below times for further assistance.

We apologize of any inconvenience this may cause, but would like to assure you that these security features are being put in place to make your game experience a safer one.

PlayOnline Information Center
https://secure.playonline.com/supportus/index.html
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time

I know we can bypass this with PS2/Xbox accounts but still I was wondering if anyone has recieved any actual help from SE.
And if not wtf they keep insisting that we contact them?

here is the link for those wondering http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news16694.shtml

well I am curious :P
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-13 15:00:53  
I was contacted via Email within 3 days of submitting a formal query. They told me to call their information desk thing. I figured "ok SE, I'll jump through your hoops one more time since I miss some people and really do enjoy the game..." But, after waiting on the phone for the larger part of an hour with nothing but the classy elevator music to keep me company, I hung up and have decided to quit until they fix this issue entirely. Shame really. I did enjoy my 4-5 years in this game. SE is not winning any brownie points.
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-08-13 18:17:49  
That's a Shame...
SE really likes to lose it's customers... but well what will we do but play their hookin games...