Windower Won't Start! - Windower V4.3 And The Creators Update

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Windower » News » Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 19 20 21
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-04-30 14:37:33  
Asura.Daiiawn said: »
How many of you find it tricky getting your lua's to work? ... Take that, times 1000

(Paraphrased for brevity)

This is the same community where some members have repeatedly asked "Why can't SE just copy the party finder from XIV?"

(For those people: it'd be about as easy as frying an egg in your Blue Ray Player)
 Asura.Fiv
サーバ: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2017-04-30 14:42:19  
Its not just windows key it seems, i use the Alt a lot and it appears nvidia shortcuts took those away for its screenshot and recording functions, yay for a 45 minute video of me standing in my mog house. Anyway disabling the nvidia experience share function made all those binds work without reloading or rebinding anything, changing all the nvidia key shortcuts to other combinations also worked. Turning the share function back on or changing the key combinations back to the same ones as my windower binds makes them overrule my windower binds again.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-04-30 14:44:30  
Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
So is the intent for the majority of people that play this game and wish to use windower be on Windows 10?

Yes. Not sure what's so mind blowing about this. It's the most common operating system our player base uses (by far), and it's growing constantly. It was facing a critical issue that would mean half of our users would not be able to play anymore. See more details below.

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
I'm curious if there was some effort in trying to poll what users were playing on rather then just make things compatible for win10 only?

We have statistics:
Iryoku said: »
Operating Systems

10: 49.55%
7: 30.95%
8 & 8.1: 17.09% (8: 12.33%; 8.1: 4.76%)
XP: 1.23%
Vista: 1.18%

Asura.Sesono said: »
But would you please admit that you *** it up?

No.

We released a broken build, sure. But *** up implies a glaring mistake in our process, incompetence, carelessness, etc. And while we had a number of bugs, we did everything right in the process. We tested internally until it passed our own checks. Then we released it to the public through our dev stream until they also reported all the major issues fixed. After two weeks of public testing the following issues were the only ones left that we knew about with version 4.3:

• It crashes on minimizing for some people

• Windows key does not work in keybinds

• In windowed mode the close button is greyed out

Contrast that to this one issue 4.2 had:
  • People can't log in and play

So we made a conscious choice to release it despite the known issues. And I maintain it was the right choice given all the information at the time. This update we pushed fixed the game for many people who had or were about to have updated to the Windows 10 Creators' Update. As Iryoku showed above, that concerns about half of all Windower users. In addition to that we had reports that this also fixed a number of outstanding issues Windows 8 users were having who couldn't log in at all. And here's the thing: even despite all the issues people have reported since, statistically it still looks like this was a net benefit for many Windower users.

So what you're really saying is that we messed up your weekend. And you're furious, we get it. If you wanna say that's *** up, that's your prerogative. But I will not agree to that assertion, and rationally you can't expect me to, given the above.

Asura.Sesono said: »
Please consider taking it - and fix it, please.... would you?

Whatever made you think we won't fix it? You don't have to beg us. You don't even have to ask us. If you just provide us with the info we need (which, btw, people have yet to do - aside from one crash concerning a 32 bit OS and one about private servers, we have no crash dumps or even detailed crash reports for anything) we will get on it on our own.

All this aside, I wanna say something about disabling updates. It was a very conscious and very careful decision the team made to force updates. And while that decision was made before my arrival on the team, I do agree with it. So disabling updates is not a missing feature, or something we're too lazy to do. It's something we chose not to do, and here are the two main arguments that influenced that decision:

Quote:
1. Time

Our time, as said before, is very limited. We never have a shortage of things to do, so much so that we have to forego some things entirely. That was one of the reasons behind releasing an addon system in the first place - so the community can do things we don't get to. Every addon that exists we would have loved to implement, but given our time requirements that's just not an option.

That said, we cannot allow to waste our time when working on FFXI. And unfortunately that happened a lot. Why? Because people didn't update. People would report errors months after they were fixed. And every report we have to investigate, because they're so generic, it's hard to say immediately if that's one we've already fixed. Which makes it even worse, because we cannot reproduce it, because it's already been fixed on our machines. Sometimes this can be resolved quickly - often it can't. I remember a certain error in Spellcast that only happened in heavy load situations, when many events were triggered at once, and then only under certain conditions and rules. So we have to try to recreate the situation, find a tough battle and sometimes a group to do with it so everyone can spam spells and abilities to try to reproduce it. After days of testing it was found to be fixed months ago, that person simply hadn't updated to the fixed version.

Having everyone on the same version is a massive boon to us in that regard. The only times in Windower 4's history when we had such issues was when the update system for addons didn't work right under certain conditions yet. I don't know who remembers, but we often had to tell people to manually update Lua libraries in the early Windower 4 days because of it. So this is not just a hypothetical, it was a massive time sink for us. And Windows XP users still suffer for it.

And this is not only good for us. Ultimately the time we save is time we can use for other things that can benefit everyone.

2. Security

This one the more important reason. Windower uses many features that could, in theory, cause issues with GMs. We inject packets, we modify them, we allow things that are not normally possible. This in itself is controversial, but we try to remove as much of the risk from the users as possible.

Unfortunately, things happen. Things change. Sometimes packets. And if someone uses an outdated version they could be sending wrong packets to the server. Which, in the best case, could do nothing. It could crash the game. It could drop rare items. In the worst case it could draw the attention of GMs. And this is also not a hypothetical - it happened plenty of times in the past.

And incorrect packets are just one example. It could be an addon with a critical bug that wasn't noticed because it happens only in rare circumstances. Such as the one time Treasury's auto-drop mode was dropping wrong items. If that wasn't auto-updated away people would have come with pitchforks when their relics were lost due to this (or whatever it is that's fancy and expensive these days).

Ultimately security is something we have to prioritize. This is not a legal responsibility, but as someone offering these services we feel an ethical responsibility. Forcing users to update is one way to do that responsibility justice from our end.

There are other advantages, but these two I would consider key arguments, and most of the other arguments can be reduced to time savings anyway.

You can disagree with these decisions. Some people think it's not our ethical responsibility to care for peoples' security either. There's nothing to say to that, other than that we feel differently. I also may not speak for the entire team - which is a fluctuating team anyway, and everyone has their own opinions on things. But that's generally how most of us feel. I don't know what Windower 5's future will hold and how our update system will work there, but for the time being I wouldn't count on it to be any different.

Now, I can see the argument for reverting to an old version (and frankly, I can't stop people from blocking updates - it's not magic, anyone can do it if they want), but people asking for that are again missing that this update is a net benefit. It may cause issues for some, but it fixes them for others.

The only thing we could do is have two separate versions - which indeed was the point behind the dev and live system. Unfortunately that system seems to need a bit of practice. So once again I'd like to appeal to people to help us out, so we can avoid situations like these in the future.

And one final point, which is especially important for people posting here: not all devs read these forums. Sometimes people remind us on IRC about things that go on here, but for the most part we work off of our issue tracker. Forums are notoriously ill-suited for this. I can see the comfort you have in posting here over registering with a service like GitHub, but you cannot expect us to keep up to date with all posts in all major related forums. If you find a bug, please report it on the issue tracker. If it's a crash, please try to post a crash dump along with it.

We have currently only 6 reported issues with Windower 4.3 there. Of those, one is regarding private servers, another regarding Windows XP, two about keyboard issues, one where the Windower launcher is hanging. And only one about crashes, and it gives neither any information, nor any crash dumps.

Tl;dr, the update is done, we won't revert it. We will work on known issues. Please help us where you can.
[+]
By Prong 2017-04-30 15:07:34  
I am on Windows 7 64 bit. Upon downloading the update this morning, I can log into POL and onto a character, but after a random short period of time, POL crashes every time.

IN an attempt to help (not complaining), I did download and install the dumpsetup.exe and was able to get a .dmp report to produce. I am now making a sign-on for GitHub so I can post this issue there and hopefully can figure out how to post a link to the dump report.
[+]
By SMN4LIFE 2017-04-30 15:18:24  
I just logged in to Original Windower 4.3 and it did a Hook update. Looks like a rollback. But it's working perfectly now.
 Valefor.Psykopat
user: bob
By Valefor.Psykopat 2017-04-30 15:53:33  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
* Windows 7 32-bit doesn't like the launch process - Is this what you guys are experiencing? https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues/889

Same issue but windows vista 32-bit
 Ragnarok.Inx
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-04-30 16:01:10  
Valefor.Psykopat said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
* Windows 7 32-bit doesn't like the launch process - Is this what you guys are experiencing? https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues/889

Same issue but windows vista 32-bit

Same thing with Win10 Pro 32-bit.

Currently running with latest hook and dev build from Thursday/Friday last week without issue.
By Jetackuu 2017-04-30 16:04:49  
It's 2017, why the hell are people still running x86 versions of Windows?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-04-30 16:49:52  
Entitlement upgrade, Win 7 x86 ->Win 10 x86 in my case.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-04-30 17:42:13  
I noticed a common issue that caused crashing for a number of people: old, unsupported plugins.

A while ago, we deprecated and subsequently removed many plugins. In doing so, we also stopped the Windower launcher from loading them. However, some people did not load them through the launcher but through custom mechanisms, such as the init.txt (which was the way to do it for Windower 3). These still persist and try to load old plugins which are no longer compatible with the newer Windower, causing crashes.

So if you load plugins through a non-launcher way (init.txt or the plugin_manager addon, or whichever other way people come up with), remove the old plugins mentioned in the above list. As far as the init.txt goes, you should remove them all from there and add them to the Windower launcher (run Windower and click on the *Plugins* tab). The init.txt method to load plugins should never have been used with Windower 4, I assume people just copied their init.txt over from Windower 3.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-04-30 18:33:46  
Ragnarok.Inx said: »
Entitlement upgrade, Win 7 x86 ->Win 10 x86 in my case.

You have Pro, you can install any of it anyway.
By Jetackuu 2017-04-30 18:45:01  
Leviathan.Arcon said: »
Yes. Not sure what's so mind blowing about this.

Because you're going to drive a lot of the userbase away by not supporting the more stable OS. /shrug
 Fenrir.Aisaka
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Kari
By Fenrir.Aisaka 2017-04-30 19:31:28  
Fenrir.Aisaka said: »
Is there any reason to be using SE's windowed mode over what Windower was doing before? So far that is making Windower less useful and I haven't heard any benefits.
This requires a pretty lengthy explanation, but here goes my best shot at explaining this as simply as I can.

I certainly didn't expect that big of a response, so thanks for that. The insight is valuable.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-04-30 23:06:17  
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else and doesn't seem like it needs another thread when can be shared here.

Two people I know are losing macro lines in game. One guy thinks using macro set commands and macro book commands is maybe causing the issue. The lines seem to just poof. I'm unsure if it's just when executed via windower or if he's tried it inline in game.

This even happens when not dualboxing (I know Windower uses some voodoo to try to make the game play smoothly with multiple instances. So my first thought maybe some threads were getting crossed as a possibility.)

Yeah I'm the guy that made the Macro Editor but neither of these friends have used it because their macros were complete and I of course never saw any such problem, but it was the very first thing I asked about.

I don't even play anymore but Windower's many team members (past and present) deserve a lot of respect for making the game far better than SE was willing to.
 Odin.Horu
サーバ: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2017-04-30 23:52:51  
Valefor.Omnys said: »
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else and doesn't seem like it needs another thread when can be shared here.

Two people I know are losing macro lines in game. One guy thinks using macro set commands and macro book commands is maybe causing the issue. The lines seem to just poof. I'm unsure if it's just when executed via windower or if he's tried it inline in game.

This even happens when not dualboxing (I know Windower uses some voodoo to try to make the game play smoothly with multiple instances. So my first thought maybe some threads were getting crossed as a possibility.)

Yeah I'm the guy that made the Macro Editor but neither of these friends have used it because their macros were complete and I of course never saw any such problem, but it was the very first thing I asked about.

I don't even play anymore but Windower's many team members (past and present) deserve a lot of respect for making the game far better than SE was willing to.

Please remember to ask your friends to submit a official report on the windower bug reporting website https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues As reddit and ffxiah.com aren't the place to submit it

Ask them to submit as much information including system infomation "Start button -> all programs, accessories, system tools, system information". click the edit button to select all then click the edit button again then select copy. any bug reports that the game might generate.

also include what plugins, add-ons and which version/hook of windower is currently on the computer and which ones are currently active. what situation they were in (E.g. in the mog house or fighting a mob or clicking a npc etc), did the game lag, what state did it revert to (E.g. back to how you first get macros when you install ff11 or is it completely blank) etc etc.

Add as much information so the dev team can attempt to recreate such a situation so they might beable to narrow when and how it occurs
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-05-01 05:19:41  
I thought my crashing caused my macros to disappear until I just redid a bunch of them, changed jobs a few times, and more are gone now.

Disabled MacroChanger since it looked like it was acting up, and nothing has disappeared yet. Might be the cause of that one.
 Odin.Horu
サーバ: Odin
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2017-05-01 06:40:54  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
I thought my crashing caused my macros to disappear until I just redid a bunch of them, changed jobs a few times, and more are gone now.

Disabled MacroChanger since it looked like it was acting up, and nothing has disappeared yet. Might be the cause of that one.
make a thread and report it on
https://github.com/Windower/Issues/issues

-include as much info as you can including general system you use (Since all windowers systems seems to be functioning differently atm, and include if you have the windowers 10 creators edition and if your using a XiLoader)
-Conditions that lead to the problem,
-Your windower version/hook and if its the dev version
-plugin or addon (Since some people have been using older versions)
-and any dump reports that may have arisen as a resulted

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
Comment: Cleaning
By Jetackuu 2017-05-01 09:44:27  
Finally, out of desperation I tried to use SE's Windowed mode, and... it worked. Alt-tab worked just like it's supposed to.

Is there plans to try to get out of using this in the future if possible, or are you considering it a path already taken?

*Note: Not affecting me one way or the other it looks like, just curious.
 Asura.Longsnake
user: Longsnake
By Asura.Longsnake 2017-05-01 10:36:52  
I'm not sure if this is related to these changes/updates, but this is my first time getting back on XI on my laptop. Whenever I change the active window from XI to something else, it freezes and crashes. I've been able to putz around for 15m+ at a time as long as I don't change the window -- it doesn't seem there is some inevitable crash coming to matter what. I've unloaded all plugins and add-ons and the crashes still happen on window change.

I followed someone's steps earlier to get a crash dump and I threw it up on my gdrive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QlleGZS4OLTkg0SjNYQTJTTzA/view?usp=sharing

Any suggestions or fixes?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-05-01 10:42:51  
Jetackuu said: »
Finally, out of desperation I tried to use SE's Windowed mode, and... it worked. Alt-tab worked just like it's supposed to.

Is there plans to try to get out of using this in the future if possible, or are you considering it a path already taken?

He said in another post (maybe the one you quoted, not sure, I'm tired) that Windower 5 is in the works and has its own hook. Using SE windowed mode was a duct tape job.

Maybe we should give them less ***and hope that gives them more time for Windower 5.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-05-01 11:03:25  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Jetackuu said: »

He said in another post (maybe the one you quoted, not sure, I'm tired) that Windower 5 is in the works and has its own hook. Using SE windowed mode was a duct tape job.

Maybe we should give them less ***and hope that gives them more time for Windower 5.

I wasn't giving anyone ***?

I'm aware of what was said about the hook, it doesn't change my inquiry.
By pankakes 2017-05-01 18:58:51  
Bismarck.Radec said: »
pankakes said: »
Asura.Selindrile said: »
@Arcon

windower.play_sound() seems to be working fine, no crashes there
Same issue I reported earlier are still happening though, quoting here.

Asura.Selindrile said: »
I'm on the dev version, assuming it has to do with the new hook, but not sure, windows button is now not being intercepted by windower (Win7, borderless windowed), pulling up my windows bar instead of my normal macros that used that key, also the minimize command is not working.

Update: In some cases the windows key does work with some combinations, and doesn't pull up the start bar, like windows+I does the macro I have set up, but windows+M minimizes the next thing I would alt tab to in focus that isn't FFXI (when it should be my mount in game) and the windows key pressed and released alone brings up my start bar, so I presume the windows windows-key combinations are taking precedence, but if there doesn't happen to be one (like in the case of windows+i) it works?

That said, I've also noticed what seems to be a marked performance improvement.

Perhaps that is also "working as intended" due to it no longer faking fullscreen mode, unfortunately it makes some macros I've been using for years not work...

Update: Another thing that is perhaps also related, I've noticed when watching a video or stream on Google Chrome whether it be on YouTube or Twitch, wherever, (only while the new FFXI is up), if I move my mouse cursor across Google Chrome, the video lags SIGNIFICANTLY, though if my mouse is moving over anything over than Chrome, it's fine.

I've found a "fix" for this. The windows key shortcuts can be disabled with policy editor or a regedit if you don't have professional. This really sucks if you're accustomed to using windows key shortcuts, but it can be turned off and on. Regedit requires a reboot though, not sure about policy editor.

Policy editor needs a reboot as well, but I can confirm it also works.

I found a better fix for the windows key hotkeys that doesn't break anything you don't want it to. I was able to use this to permanently disable my windows + number shortcuts while leaving the more useful ones intact. A single logout/reboot is required still.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/shell/explorer/globalhotkeys.htm

Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-05-03 17:25:00  
An update of sorts:

We just pushed a new launcher to the dev branch. This rolled back some of the changes and attempted to keep the injection method as similar to 4.2 as possible while still retaining required changes. If you were having issues with the launcher, give this a try:

http://update.windower.net/dev/Windower.exe

The following issues are currently being looked at and in the internal testing process:

* Buttons being stuck down while out of focus (alt-tab issue). This is essentially fixed as far as I can tell.
* Replicating the 4.2 behavior of controller input. This is nearly functional, and needs some minor adjustments due to code oddities that are likely on SE's end.

Please continue to provide constructive feedback, including detailed descriptions of problems and crash dumps where applicable, and we will continue looking into problems. Thanks!
[+]
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2017-05-03 17:59:48  
Fenrir.Caiir said: »
An update of sorts:

We just pushed a new launcher to the dev branch. This rolled back some of the changes and attempted to keep the injection method as similar to 4.2 as possible while still retaining required changes. If you were having issues with the launcher, give this a try:

http://update.windower.net/dev/Windower.exe

The following issues are currently being looked at and in the internal testing process:

* Buttons being stuck down while out of focus (alt-tab issue). This is essentially fixed as far as I can tell.
* Replicating the 4.2 behavior of controller input. This is nearly functional, and needs some minor adjustments due to code oddities that are likely on SE's end.

Please continue to provide constructive feedback, including detailed descriptions of problems and crash dumps where applicable, and we will continue looking into problems. Thanks!
Thank you for you efforts. Seems most of the issues I had before are gone. The only remaining issue i have still is random crashes when running multiple charaters,I can come back from AFK and someone will crash not entirely sure how to post a dump or a crash log for it. i have the .dmp file but i dont know how to covert it to txt and post it to here
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-05-03 18:03:13  
You don't convert .dmp files to text, you upload them and we run them.
 Shiva.Larrymc
サーバ: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2017-05-03 18:14:03  
Valefor.Omnys said: »
Yeah I'm the guy that made the Macro Editor but neither of these friends have used it because their macros were complete and I of course neve
We have a linkshell member who also said his macro lines were disappearing one by one. This started a few days ago.
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2017-05-03 18:14:05  
Where can i upload them? i tried on github and it keeps telling me file not supported
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 19 20 21