Random Politics & Religion #25

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #25
Random Politics & Religion #25
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 59 60 61
By Nausi 2017-06-27 10:23:15  
Remember when the CBO said Obamacare would decrease premiums but obamacare actually increased them? I do!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 10:24:30  
Nausi said: »
Pepridge
It's Pepperidge!

If you are going to make an offhanded attack, at least do it right! No half-assing attacks allowed here!
[+]
By Nausi 2017-06-27 10:25:22  
Youre just mad i beat you to it!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 10:26:24  
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 10:27:06  
Remember when attacks and retorts had a quality associated with them?

Pepperidge Farm remembers!
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-06-27 10:33:55  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
If you are talking about all the democrat/liberals jumping ship on the bill, I hate to break it to you (not really), but they were never even going to board that ship in the first place.

I'm 125% positive those are the very senators you are talking about.

And you would be wrong, of course.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-06-27 10:40:20  

I'm glad they remember, because I sure don't. Maybe I haven't been here long enough.

P&R in the 1800's:

"I say, good sir. It is not I to whom thy insult should be focused, as it would be better directed toward thyself."

"Nay! This insult is most befitting for a man such as thyself. Thy intellect is most suspect!"
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 10:48:12  
Viciouss said: »
If you are talking about all the democrat/liberals jumping ship on the bill, I hate to break it to you (not really), but they were never even going to board that ship in the first place.

I'm 125% positive those are the very senators you are talking about.

And you would be wrong, of course.
And yet, you do not name, nor source, these senators "jumping ship" from the Senate Health Care bill.

Excuse me if I state how much talking out of your *** you have been doing lately. It's hard to see which is the face and which isn't anymore.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-27 10:51:01  
Remember when the CBO said Obamacare would decrease premiums but obamacare actually increased them? I do!

Why is the CBO even getting involved in this? The CBO is pretty good at figuring out how much something will cost the US government or predicting the effects of tax laws on revenue but is absolutely atrocious on predicting market effects on the economy. It's atrocious for the same reason most everyone else is, globally connected economies are far to complex to model without making ginormous assumptions.

Obamacare was essentially a giant tax on middle class Americans to pay for medicare and welfare for lower income Americans. There was some attempt at free markets but without the removal of inane regulatory restrictions it makes no difference.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2017-06-27 10:56:31  
I like how the air on this website has changed now that a lot of the vocal liberals aren't talking as much anymore, or get smacked down whenever they try to say something. It's like this place did an almost 180.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-06-27 10:59:25  
There are some Republican senators fighting the bill, but from what I've seen they want the legislation to be even stronger with regards to repealing Obamacare, not balking at CBO scores.

All I see being reported is the amount of people who will lose health coverage. All I have to say to that is, "YA THINK?!?" I can't believe that there would be people not wanting to pay for a product that they are no longer forced to buy.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-06-27 11:02:51  
Looking like they don't even have the votes to proceed on the bill, which McConnell wants to ram through today. Setting himself up for a loss, as usual.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 11:28:11  
Yatenkou said: »
I like how the air on this website has changed now that a lot of the vocal liberals aren't talking as much anymore, or get smacked down whenever they try to say something. It's like this place did an almost 180.
It helps when the biased mods aren't mods anymore.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 11:28:37  
Looking like they don't even have the votes to proceed on the bill
Where do you see that?

Or is that from CNN?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 11:31:59  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

I'm glad they remember, because I sure don't. Maybe I haven't been here long enough.

P&R in the 1800's:

"I say, good sir. It is not I to whom thy insult should be focused, as it would be better directed toward thyself."

"Nay! This insult is most befitting for a man such as thyself. Thy intellect is most suspect!"
Nay you, good sir!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 12:36:57  
Trump, Mueller and Arthur Andersen

Background: Arthur Andersen is the prime example of what just being accused of doing can do to a company. While acquitted in 2005, the Big 5 (at the time) CPA firm almost immediately dissolved due to lack of trust and losing all (not almost, but all) clients during the Enron scandal. Arthur Andersen was acquitted from any and all wrongdoing, as it wasn't them who known, or could have known, what the executives did to cook the books, even when questions were asked and answered adequately for them.

Also: Sources are bad, unless they are made up like CNN does all the time.

Quote:
What exactly is Special Counsel Robert Mueller investigating? The basis in law—regulation, actually—for Mr. Mueller’s appointment is a finding by the deputy attorney general that “criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted.”

According to some reports, the possible crime is obstruction of justice. The relevant criminal statute provides that “whoever corruptly . . . influences, obstructs or impedes or endeavors [to do so], the due and proper administration of the law under which any pending proceeding is being had,” is guilty of a crime. The key word is “corruptly.”

President Trump’s critics describe two of his actions as constituting possible obstruction. One is an alleged request to then-FBI Director James Comey that he go easy on former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who was under investigation for his dealings with Russia and possible false statements to investigators about them. According to Mr. Comey, Mr. Trump told him, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go,” because “he is a good guy.”

An obstruction charge based on that act would face two hurdles. One is that the decision whether to charge Mr. Flynn was not Mr. Comey’s. As FBI director, his job was to supervise the investigation. It is up to prosecutors to decide whether charges were justified. The president’s confusion over the limits of Mr. Comey’s authority may be understandable. Mr. Comey’s overstepping of his authority last year, when he announced that no charges were warranted against Hillary Clinton, might have misled Mr. Trump about the actual scope of Mr. Comey’s authority. Nonetheless, the president’s confusion could not have conferred authority on Mr. Comey.

The other is the statutory requirement that a president have acted “corruptly.” In Arthur Andersen LLP v. U.S. (2005), the U.S. Supreme Court accepted the following definition: that the act be done “knowingly and dishonestly, with the specific intent to subvert or undermine the integrity” of a proceeding. Taking a prospective defendant’s character into account when deciding whether to charge him—as Mr. Comey says Mr. Trump asked him to do—is a routine exercise of prosecutorial discretion. It is hard to imagine that a properly instructed jury could decide that a single such request constituted acting “corruptly”—particularly when, according to Mr. Comey, Mr. Trump also told him to pursue evidence of criminality against any of the president’s “ ‘satellite’ associates.”

The second act said to carry the seed of obstruction is the firing of Mr. Comey as FBI director. The president certainly had the authority; it is his motive that his critics question. A memorandum to the president, from the deputy attorney general and endorsed by the attorney general, presented sufficient grounds for the firing: Mr. Comey’s usurpation of the prosecutor’s role in the Clinton matter and his improper public disclosure of information unfavorable to Mrs. Clinton. But the president’s detractors have raised questions about the timing—about 3½ months into the president’s term. They have also cited the president’s statement to Russian diplomats days afterward that the firing had eased the pressure on him.

The timing itself does not suggest a motive to obstruct. Rather, coming a few days after Mr. Comey refused to confirm publicly what he had told Mr. Trump three times—that the president himself was not the subject of a criminal investigation—the timing suggests no more than an understandable anger. The statement to Russian diplomats, which might have been intended to put the Russians at ease, collides with the simple fact that an investigation—conducted by agents in the field—proceeds regardless of whether the director continues in office, and thus hardly suggests the president acted “corruptly.”

One of Mr. Mueller’s early hires among the dozen-plus lawyers already aboard has a troubling history with the word “corruptly.” Andrew Weissmann led the Enron prosecution team that pressed an aggressive interpretation of “corruptly,” which permitted a conviction even absent the kind of guilty knowledge the law normally associates with criminal charges. As a result, the accounting firm Arthur Andersen was convicted. By the time the conviction was reversed on appeal to the Supreme Court in 2005—in large part due to the erroneous application of “corruptly” in the statute at issue—Arthur Andersen had already ceased operation.

What if—for some reason not apparent to the public now—Mr. Mueller were to conclude that the president did act “corruptly”? Could he initiate a criminal prosecution? The Office of Legal Counsel at the Justice Department, which sets policy for the department and other agencies of government, has already opined more than once—starting in 1973, during Watergate—that the answer is no. It would offend the Constitution for the executive branch to prosecute its head.

What else might Mr. Mueller do? Some have suggested that if he finds criminal activity occurred he could report his findings to the House so as to trigger an impeachment proceeding, as Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr did in 1998. But the law under which Mr. Starr was appointed has lapsed, and the regulations governing the special counsel provide for only two kinds of reports—either to Justice Department leadership when some urgent event occurs during the investigation, or to the attorney general to explain the decision to prosecute or not. Reports of either type are to be treated as confidential.

Mr. Mueller could simply take the bit in his teeth and write a public report on his own authority, or write a confidential report and leak it to the press. If he did either, he would be following Mr. Comey’s lawless example.

Or if, as appears from what we know now, there is no crime here, Mr. Mueller, notwithstanding his more than a dozen lawyers and unlimited budget, could live up to his advance billing for integrity and propriety and resist the urge to grab a headline—not necessarily his own urge but that of some he has hired.

Hold fast. It may be a rough ride.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-06-27 12:49:33  
Asura.Saevel said: »

Why is the CBO even getting involved in this? ...
Its in the job description.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 12:50:51  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

Taxes and budgets, sure, but not determining markets projections.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-06-27 12:55:00  
Looking like they don't even have the votes to proceed on the bill
Where do you see that?

Or is that from CNN?
Multiple sources show 4 paleo conservatives against, one moderate against, 3 moderates still undeclared one way or the other, and the Koch Bros threatening to primary anyone who votes for it.

Multiple sources also say never count McConnell out.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-06-27 13:13:36  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
If you can think of a better way to cut costs and maintain production capacity there are a hell of a lot of us that would like to hear about your ideas.

I understand your point but what I'm saying is that I don't see why things would revert back to how they were.

it doesn't matter. businesses already figured out all the loopholes and adjusted accordingly to skirt the legislation.

things are worse now than before we tried to fix it.

rise in uninsured
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 13:15:35  
inb4 Vic coming here, making a victory lap, while the score is still Trump 140, liberals 6.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-27 13:22:11  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

No it's not. The CBO does analysis of government funds, not private markets. They aren't equipped to handle private markets very, hell even the best for-profit financial forecasters have trouble doing that with any measure of accuracy.

Put it this way, if they were able to accurately model and predict a private market, they could immediately leave their jobs and be billionaires in a few years.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-27 13:23:35  
inb4 Vic coming here, making a victory lap, while the score is still Trump 140, liberals 6.

But when you apply data homogenization in order to enhance the receptivity and inclusion of non-binary gender fluid hamsters you get Trump 2 Liberals 9001.

Liberal Math yo.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-27 13:28:34  
Those damn hamsters, always *** up the math.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-06-27 13:40:48  
And in another bout of "It depends on what your definition of is is" ...

Impact of Trump Travel Ban? Define 'Bona Fide'
It might depend on how strictly government lawyers interpret the court's words

Quote:
(Newser) – President Trump hailed the Supreme Court's decision to partially reinstate his travel ban as a "clear victory" on Monday, but the practical applications are a little murkier. That's largely because of the limitation the court applied: The ban, it said, can't affect anyone with "a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States." The reinstated ban could be back in effect as soon as Thursday morning, but just how big of an impact will it have? Here's a look at coverage:

Six nations: The president's ban singles out visitors from Iran, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen, but they may not be greatly affected because of the court's limitation, reports the Guardian. That's because the vast majority of these visitors have family members in the US, which would seemingly qualify as a "bona fide relationship."

For example: NBC News reports that of the 12,998 immigrants who came from Yemen last year, 12,563 had family in the US, per the State Department.

Refugees: Their fate is much more unclear. Specifically, does a relationship with a US resettlement agency qualify as "bona fide"? It might depend on how strictly government lawyers interpret the decision, notes NBC.

Tourists: If they're from the six nations listed above, they're almost certainly out of luck.

Key definition: The New York Times reiterates that much of the gray area revolves around the definition of "bona fide relationship." For example, "if a vacationer has a reservation at a hotel in the United States, does that qualify as a 'bona fide relationship?'" The answer might not be clear until the US bans somebody from coming and the case winds up in court.

Court examples: In their decision, the justices said that in addition to those with a "close familial relationship," others exempted could be workers who've accepted a job in the US, students accepted to an American university, and lecturers invited to address a US audience. The AP, however, thinks administration lawyers may take a hard line and seek to block academics and lecturers.

Scientists: International researchers hoping to work in the US are essentially in limbo right now given the vagueness of the language, reports Scientific American. "We're back into a wait-and-see pattern," says one immigration lawyer.

'Stigma': All in all, the practical impact should be limited, Becca Heller, director of the International Refugee Assistance Project, tells the New Yorker. But the "stigma" of the ban remains, she asserts. "The message of the order is that we think Muslims are dangerous, and we're not going to let them into the US."

Partisan divide: Most Democrats (64%) agree with the above sentiment—that the ban is all about keeping Muslims out of the country—but only 34% of Republicans agree, per the Hill. Republicans say national security is the reason for the ban.
Interesting links in the original.
By Viciouss 2017-06-27 13:44:28  
Such a nice victory lap while Trump sits on the sidelines and does nothing. Enjoy those hostile town halls.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-27 13:52:24  
The Supreme Court gave several examples. "Bona fide" is a term from UCIS along with the various levels of "hardship", lots of legal precedent already existing.

Quote:
does a relationship with a US resettlement agency qualify as "bona fide"?

Absolutely not, Supreme Court explicitly said that agencies purposefully setup to assist foreigners to come to the USA would not be considered a bona fide relationship.

Quote:
"For example, "if a vacationer has a reservation at a hotel in the United States, does that qualify as a 'bona fide relationship?'"

Nope.

It's pretty much family of US Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents, not just anyone already in the USA. Or someone who's already accepted a position with a US company, university or business function. Anyone familiar with the US immigration system (I now am intimately familiar) should recognize those are various already existing visa programs that involve a rather lengthy process. Furthermore the position must be authentic, meaning they can't of been accepted / hired merely to get them into the US.

Now the media hasn't talked about this but UCIS and DHS are cracking down on visa fraud and mass importing of foreigners into the US. Random site inspections and a higher bar of proof required, especially for H1B's.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 59 60 61