フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Hacked: Demmis
Hacked: Demmis
 Asura.Demmis
VIP
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Demmis 2008-12-23 22:43:15  
Just wanted to say I got my account (Demmis) hacked over this weekend. So if you see my character on and the person is being an *** I am sorry. I have been trying to get a hold of SE with no luck so far. Over a hour waiting online for support and a hour on the phone and I not talked to one person yet just been waiting.

Also I have been told that my character is on a new server since Mondayish though what server I am waiting to find out.
 Fenrir.Nephthyz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Sephera
By Fenrir.Nephthyz 2008-12-24 00:23:03  
you got hacked bro no way! that sucks well hope everything gets back to you
 Kujata.Rosangela
サーバ: Kujata
user: Angel
By Kujata.Rosangela 2008-12-24 01:50:05  
>.< I'm sorry to hear you got hacked. I just had my account returned to me by SE after filing paperwork and stuff the best time to get support from SE is to call in or wait online a few minutes before they close the support center.

I was sent to the Valefor server. >.<

I hope you can get your character back.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-24 02:45:40  
I guess some ppl say not to keep your password on Auto.

Change it say once a week for now on until u feel comfortable.. and also too... mix it with Numbers and Letters.. and to make it more stronger...thats just an idea.....but you get the point...
 Midgardsormr.Acropora
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Acropora
By Midgardsormr.Acropora 2008-12-24 02:51:24  
Same thing happened to me, character was moved to phoenix server... SE never helped -.- Hope you have much better luck =/
 Fairy.Blackmist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2008-12-24 03:19:14  
i was hacked oct. 11th ._. i noticed my FFXIAH acount page being refreshed every 3 hours, untell i was hacked. luckly, i got allmost everything back from char. restore. and wasnt transfered to an other server
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2008-12-24 09:42:22  
ouch sorry you got hacked
 Hades.Niopha
サーバ: Hades
user:
By Hades.Niopha 2008-12-24 11:25:54
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Keep your comp secure and don't visit sites RMT have been recently advertising in tell. Don't use Internet Explorer and ensure you have a Noscript feature or similar on your browser.

Which rule did you break?
 Midgardsormr.Acropora
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Acropora
By Midgardsormr.Acropora 2008-12-24 11:35:07  
I didn't "break" any rules, I did use IE at the time, and my password was "saved", which I no longer do... got a virus and whole comp went down, 2 days after, I got hacked so I'm assuming something happened at that point and my password was found out, now I use firefox, I don't save my password, and probably will change my password every 6 months or so, maybe more. Fortunately for me, it wasn't a case of "I gave my password to 7 LS members and they got mad at me and took my things"

The only other person who knew my info, was in the same room with me...

But yeah for tips on keeping your info safer, DO NOT set your password to "save", make sure you manually click it in each time, it can get stored in a POL file the other way, and any hacker can dig in and find it.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-12-24 11:45:44  
Good luck getting your account back; I've know about 15 people who lost there accounts during the virus runs and only 5 so far have had their accounts returned to them. All 5 did not get any items returned which were lost. One more friend got his account back last week and just put in for item recovery the other day because they took everything not in storage or on mules.

Nothing wrong with IE if you know what you are doing and don't have wife who likes to download every single free flash game that comes around. The flash banner virus and the realplayer exploit which went around, you would have not been safe, Firefox or not, unless you blocked all flash and in which case, most website won't even function without flash these days. My firewall caught the realplayer exploit and the flash exploit both times when it made it through my browser (Firefox). I retested the site with IE7 and the basic security functions of Vista caught it before it even made it to my firewall.

Saving your password is fine if you have good security software which does not allow unknown programs to read certain files without your permission. However, if you are one of those types who get annoyed by popups asking "X file wants to read file X -- allow? yes or no?" boxes -- then Firefox is for you. I personally like to customize every file that runs on my PC and if I don't want it to view/read/write to another file and/or memory process, I don't allow it. Even known good files.

Both recent FFXI hacks were through iFrames -- just either 'disable' or 'prompt' iFrames in IE7 security.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-24 12:02:18  
I would just do the following thing that have been mentioned above, and also do nto autosave yoru password, and instead of every 6 mos, make it once a month. Soudns like a pain in the a$$, but in the long run, You'll be glad you did.

I have been playing around with my PC, and this year alone I had to reformat my PC 5 x for non-ffxi reasons, but for silly reasons. Thats good, b/c if I had any flash,even tho I'm firewalled to the ***... and even then I have myself protected, you should still disable auto remember the password.

Just write it down somewhere where its visible for you or just remember it.

You'll be glad you did. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
 Fairy.Raikan
サーバ: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2008-12-24 12:55:57  
I keep my password saved, but it's an old password that no longer works~

A royal "eff u" to anybody who thinks they're getting my account that way :>
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-24 15:56:38  
http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2008/12/mcafee-reveals.html

Password Stealers

How it works: A McAfee North American holiday shopping survey found that 53 percent of consumers admit they use the same password for multiple websites or online services. If someone finds out (or guesses) one of your passwords, it could put your entire digital life at risk.

Quote:
What to do: Be sure you use have an updated comprehensive security software suite to help prevent access to password-stealing malware -- this includes anti-virus, anti-spyware and a two-way firewall. And create complex passwords such as h@ppYh0lid@y$

I just saw this and figured i post this as a reminder that this shouldn't go over looked.
 Asura.Demmis
VIP
By Asura.Demmis 2008-12-25 02:29:50  
Yea, I had very strong password(letter,numbers, caps & lowercase) and I don't use IE. Been using Firefox since it was alpha builds called Phoenix. My problem was that my eset Antivirus ran out and I didn't have the money for 3 weeks to renew it so I installed a free trial of Norton(which I hated already). While Norton was installed I got keylogger installed and thats when they must have gotten my login. Since then I reinstalled eset and it found it right away. Still no luck with SE. I just don't have over an hour to sit on the phone just waiting to be answered in the first place. Hopefully after the Holidays I can get this worked out.

P.S. If only FFXI played in linux this would have never been a problem. Since I only use windows for FFXI and using FF to visit FFXIAH and other FFXI sites while playing. (I know it plays in WineX but slow as hell.)
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2008-12-25 06:03:53  
So changing the password everymonth or typing it into the manual digital keyboard thing is safer?
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-25 08:15:01  
Stanflame said:
So changing the password everymonth or typing it into the manual digital keyboard thing is safer?

Yes, In my opinion, but if you have a key logger that you don't know about in your system, that could also represent a problem.

I'd probably want to make sure there isn't one on your pc.

Then if you want to type it manual then thats is up to you. Some ppl say its safer.. it's all a matter of opinion.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [66 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Demmis
VIP
By Asura.Demmis 2009-03-01 00:21:46  
Hey just wanted to say I got Demmis back this Saturday waiting till Tuesday to reactivated so I don't have to pay 15$ for 3 days of access. So if you see me around you know its the real deal.
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-01 03:07:26
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

how can I check if theres a keylogger in my system? I have norton..
 Asura.Davinia
user: Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2009-03-01 09:58:50  
Reublucian said:
how can I check if theres a keylogger in my system? I have norton..

Get rid of norton for starters, and invest in ESET, it has a small footprint so isnt memory consumptive like Norton is where it embeds itself into every part of your system.

Davi
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-01 10:06:41  
I can't recommend ESET myself, my dad put it on my PC, when I asked him to simply re-install winblows while I was at work, and it caused problems all over for me, spamming me with update messages constantly, then saying "I'm all updated!", only to ask to update again 10min later.

Personally I use AntiVIR, been using it for a while now and love it. Tiny program that's very similar to ESET, uses almost no resources and doesn't eat at everything <3

With a combination of AntiVIR, Spybot S&D and AdAware, I've yet to be hit with a Virus, and all the Spyware/Adware I've ever had is beaten to death easily.
 Titan.Rebekah
サーバ: Titan
user: Rebekah
By Titan.Rebekah 2009-03-01 10:24:31  
lol i thought that the update we had with the keypad ***was going to help stop this... or lessen the chances of having this done. >.>
 Asura.Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2009-03-01 11:11:02  
Hitetsu said:
I can't recommend ESET myself, my dad put it on my PC, when I asked him to simply re-install winblows while I was at work, and it caused problems all over for me, spamming me with update messages constantly, then saying "I'm all updated!", only to ask to update again 10min later.

Personally I use AntiVIR, been using it for a while now and love it. Tiny program that's very similar to ESET, uses almost no resources and doesn't eat at everything <3

With a combination of AntiVIR, Spybot S&D and AdAware, I've yet to be hit with a Virus, and all the Spyware/Adware I've ever had is beaten to death easily.

Personally ive had no problems with ESET but thats just me, other people will suffer different problems with different machines. As for re-installing windows thats a bad idea in the first place, but I do agree with Spybot and Adaware with those two alone if anything gets through it deserves too.

Davi
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-01 12:52:56  
Re-installing windows is a bad idea?

I'm sorry.. what?

I re-install windows at least twice a week.. Please tell me how it's a bad idea.
 Asura.Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2009-03-03 04:40:32  
Hitetsu said:
Re-installing windows is a bad idea?

I'm sorry.. what?

I re-install windows at least twice a week.. Please tell me how it's a bad idea.

There are lots of reasons why not!

The Integrity of your PC falls everytime you re-install, such as the condition of your hard drive. Your left with a completely bare machine yes? which means no Anti-Virus software, without up-to-date patches, windows isnt at correct SP levels leaving you extremely vulnerable to attack, i can name more but its just pointless.

i got a question for you though... why do you feel the need to reinstall windows twice a week? Ive had the same Windows Installation on my machine for 8 months maybe, and it still runs as good if not better than the day I built her.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-03 04:46:00  
I don't reinstall it on my own machine twice a week. I've yet to see a single problem with reinstalling it. Any PC I do reinstall windows on runs faster and is more responsive, due to the lack of pointless junk on it.

Where exactly the "You have no AV.. etc" comes into it I'm not sure.. Are you implying I simply leave it without an AV/Updates and the likes?
 Asura.Davinia
By Asura.Davinia 2009-03-03 05:13:35  
no im not saying you leave it without but there is a gap where the machine is left without it from fresh install to the time AV is installed.

Then you have to update windows and your AV install your office software just seems very pointless to me and a quick fix that doesnt solve anything but diskspace!

kthnxbai!
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-03 08:25:02  
Cut the attitude =/

If you're willing to invest slightly, as I did in the other thread I recommend Kaspersky. It's possibly the most unintrusive anti/firewall/scanner all-in-one that i've ever had. It has an extremely in depth readout of attempted breaches of security, and allows you to set very specific rules for individual application, files and others. But having said this, I'm able to understand most of it with fairly little exploring, so it's not overcomplicated either. Not overly expensive either at £30 for 3 installations (meaning you can install it on 3 seperate PCs, it has a code for each.)