フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Haste vs. Accuracy Endgame
Haste vs. Accuracy Endgame
First Page 2 ... 14 15 16
 Ragnarok.Xellana
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Xellana
By Ragnarok.Xellana 2010-06-03 17:13:50  
Bleh... I'm hoping this isn't as dumb a question as I feel it is, but was talking with a friend about the pros and cons of haste builds vs. accuracy builds when dealing with endgame mobs (anything from Dynamis mobs to HNMs and then some).

I'm personally leaning towards Accuracy since the evasion of the mobs is usually higher and this way there are less WIFFS. My friend is all for as much Haste as you can stack and DEX/STR where you can't to balance out the misses.

Which is better? Or is there a medium where you stack Haste where you can and Acc where you can't?

I've been playing mage jobs much more lately so I'm not up to date on THF gear wants/needs. :(
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-03 17:20:34  
Haste, acc where you can't get haste, eat pizza, profit.

There's situational ***but that's the gist of it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-03 17:25:59  
Most spots you want haste in already come with accuracy packed in them as a bonus. Like: Homam hands/legs/feet, Swift Belt, ASA Legs. Should always be using turban, brutal/suppa. That's about it, everywhere else you're gonna want to pack on ACC and use Pizza to build up on that. Back is the exception unless you have chuch, but neck/earrings ACC.

Edit: I meant to say neck/rings.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-03 17:28:01  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Haste, acc where you can't get haste, eat pizza, profit.

There's situational ***but that's the gist of it.
/thread
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-06-03 17:39:22  
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Very often haste gear will come with accuracy on it (i.e. Homam).

One slot where you may very often opt for accuracy over haste is the neck; trading the large chunk of accuracy that PCC and Love torque give in for 1% Haste (Tiercel Necklace) can be rough.

The body slot is another one where you may occasionally opt for accuracy over haste (Rap. Harness vs Homam, or something similiar).

Generally though: Haste>Accuracy. For WS, drop the haste and throw in accuracy and DEX till capped, with STR and AGI thrown in depending on the particular WS and job abilities used. If it's a single hit WS, you can drop accuracy altogether for stacked WS.
 Titan.Willson
サーバ: Titan
user: Willhem
By Titan.Willson 2010-06-03 17:50:49  
If I may, I'd like to shed a little light on those situationals and job specifics.

"Dynamis to HNM"
Dynamis mobs are a joke, haste onry. Most things under HNM level can follow this category as well.
In my own opinion, HNMs are a little different. Depending on which you're talking about, most DDs won't be just swingin' away at them, so having haste is pretty pointless. You'll want to have accuracy so you can hit it, get your tp, and gtfo. Jobs like sam, or jobs that popularly can sub sam usually don't have to worry about it with meditate. However since you mentioned thief, I'd say have more accuracy for HNMs. Haste isn't doing anything if you miss every hit, and you'll be missing a lot unless you have some amazing gear and dagger merits. D:

My two or six cents. ^^

(lol pushed tab enter as if I were using auto-translate, hence edit)

Edit again: Basically what everyone else has said holds true.
 Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-06-03 18:13:27  
Forum wrap up 8D

@ the OP why bother with vs just use both just grab some Homam(legs,hands,feet)toss some haste on belt(swift+) and head(walmart,denali,homam)and acc where ever else....then just macro in str/dex for WS...problem solve
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-03 18:57:58  
Odin.Kalico said:
head(walmart, denali,homam)

Fixed that for you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Xellana
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Xellana
By Ragnarok.Xellana 2010-06-04 15:37:07  
You guys make it sound like Homam is easily aquired. If I had Homam, I'd be wearing it. Hands down. But that being said, I've been doing Limbus for over 5 years and have yet to be able to get any piece save body (go figure). I was looking at Denali Bonnet over Wala just for something different to play with.

Thank you for the input though. I'll have to start looking at gearing THF again.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-04 15:42:09  
Ragnarok.Xellana said:
You guys make it sound like Homam is easily aquired. If I had Homam, I'd be wearing it. Hands down. But that being said, I've been doing Limbus for over 5 years and have yet to be able to get any piece save body (go figure). I was looking at Denali Bonnet over Wala just for something different to play with.

Thank you for the input though. I'll have to start looking at gearing THF again.
It really isn't that hard... I got hands and legs within a few months of Sea access. If I'd put all my points towards Homam instead of spreading them around I could have gotten the full set inside 6 months easily barring stingy drops.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-04 15:44:12  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Xellana said:

It really isn't that hard... I got hands and legs within a few months of Sea access. If I'd put all my points towards Homam instead of spreading them around I could have gotten the full set inside 6 months easily.

itt: all servers and linkshells are the same.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-04 15:47:45  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Xellana said:

It really isn't that hard... I got hands and legs within a few months of Sea access. If I'd put all my points towards Homam instead of spreading them around I could have gotten the full set inside 6 months easily barring stingy drops.

itt: all servers and linkshells are the same.
Not at all. If I'd run with other shells I know of I could have gotten the pieces even faster. You just have to run with a group that doesn't take a full alliance for a single zone.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 15:49:30  
Ragnarok.Xellana said:

It's pretty easy to live without Homam...and just don't use Denali Bonnet, just don't do it.

There you go. Amemet +1, Chiv Chain, w/e Dagger if you can't afford Forager's/PCC/Blau. If you don't have Rajas just use a 2nd Sniper's. If you don't have Brutal, set priorities straight. Can't get any cheaper than that, though. Use SH(+1), Cobra Unit Harness, whatever you can get until Homam.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 15:49:51  
Ragnarok.Xellana said:
Which is better? Or is there a medium where you stack Haste where you can and Acc where you can't?

This pretty much. Accuracy only really beats Haste if your hit rate is rather low, and all haste does is make you miss faster (basically why Turban beats other pieces in almost every situation). There's a lot of acc food too, so Haste really does remain the most important stat for melee TP.

Edit: Go go cat avatar
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 15:49:58  
I was in a limbus shell for over 2 years w/o a single job that can lot homam, aka lots of points. Day I ding 75, get pants and feet in the same run, kinda cheated the system on that though.

We have a rule for only 1 piece a run, but nobody wanted feet and I told them if I'm only getting one, I'm taking legs. So, I got legs over the other legs lotters and after everyone passed and they dropped to me, I said well if nobody is gonna take the feet I won't even free lot em, I'll spend points so they don't go to waste, so I got them too.

Got body and hands within 3 weeks of that.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-04 15:51:57  
for me personally, I'd prefer to play with friends even if it wasn't the right way to do it.

EGLS are ***when everyone is a douche bag, I'd prefer to play with people I like any day. If you happen to have a really good group that manages to do things incredibly well and are decent then lucky, but otherwise fun > anything else for me really.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 15:53:36  
Ragnarok.Xellana said:
You guys make it sound like Homam is easily aquired.

Also just throwing this out here, but you could make a 6 man perma (or more if needed) and easily do the zones + Omega. It's a lot easier than you'd think.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 15:53:56  
Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Cobra Unit Harness

In fact, when you aren't using Rapparee, you can use this piece to your advantage similarly to Skadi legs. Brutal/Rajas/Cobra Unit = +8 STP. Can get the last 1 STP to hit 9 total from either Chiv Chain (if you don't have a PCC for whatever reason), or Ecphoria Ring (1 less accuracy than the Sniper's isn't going to make or break you) to get a steady 10 tp per attack round. This is assuming you have notihng better than all the aforementioned gear.

Oh, also, SE has given us even something BETTER than Homam Legs. ASA Legs are DEX+2/AGI+2 Acc+7 (+8 If you count the ACC from the 2 DEX) and Haste +3. This game's getting way too easy, Homam is virtually un-needed other than the fact that it gives accuracy and 1-2% more haste depending on your gear.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-04 15:54:38  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
for me personally, I'd prefer to play with friends even if it wasn't the right way to do it.

EGLS are ***when everyone is a douche bag, I'd prefer to play with people I like any day. If you happen to have a really good group that manages to do things incredibly well and are decent then lucky, but otherwise fun > anything else for me really.
I don't (at least not the group I do Limbus with atm), but we can still field two groups for most runs. It's not that hard lol. If you can field 12 people you can probably clear two Apollyon zones a night.

EDIT: Probably is just covering my *** in case you've severe problems with job spread. Any group with even decent job spread and gear sets that at least had a little thought put into them can clear any Apollyon floor with 6 or less.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-04 15:54:57  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ragnarok.Xellana said:
You guys make it sound like Homam is easily aquired.

Also just throwing this out here, but you could make a 6 man perma (or more if needed) and easily do the zones Omega. It's a lot easier than you'd think.
Can do it with 4 if you get lucky.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 15:56:00  
Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Homam is virtually un-needed other than the fact that it gives accuracy and 1-2% more haste depending on your gear.

Or if you cast spells.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 16:00:55  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Or if you cast spells.

Well, this is in the THF forum, so you're only missing out on the fast cast (gogo utsu?) of Homam Legs by using ASA Legs. And even then, the topic of discussion is solely TPing, nothing else. My point stands, you can live without Homam if you care enough to. At least until you can get your hands on said Homam, you won't be that much more gimper. (***, Dusk Hands beat Homam in accuracy capped situations.)
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-06-04 16:11:15  
Ragnarok.Xellana said:
You guys make it sound like Homam is easily aquired. If I had Homam, I'd be wearing it. Hands down. But that being said, I've been doing Limbus for over 5 years and have yet to be able to get any piece save body (go figure). I was looking at Denali Bonnet over Wala just for something different to play with. Thank you for the input though. I'll have to start looking at gearing THF again.
I'm 4/5 only missing body right now and I've only had sea since the end of September..but then again I help run my shell and we are lowish man so we get ppl gear quickly. If I had been doing Omega for 5 years and only had 1 peice I'd shoot myself.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 16:14:59  
If you go 5 years w/ 1 piece of homam get a new shell, seriously. There are
A) too many people
B) Nobody with enough skill to actually clear ***
C) you do limbus once a month
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 16:23:30  
I'm just curious...how many Omegas have you done in those 5 years?

And do.not.use.the.cobra.harness.please. Just shows you're a gimp who won't invest in real gear.

Also, do.not.use.ASA.legs.with.3%haste.and.7acc.please.

Use Skadi to TP in, Homam to cast Utsusemi. Salvage is easier than Limbus, and you can do it much more often. What's more, you're a THF, BRD and WHM. You can fit into just about every group.

As for your original question: Haste > Acc > Atk > Str > Dex. Love torque is an exception and it should be full-timed for everything bar shooting bolts and evasion purposes.

Eat sushi if you really need the extra acc. Eat Pizza if you kinda need the extra acc. Eat meat if you don't need the extra acc. Simple, huh.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-04 16:27:56  
Quote:
And do.not.use.the.cobra.harness.please. Just shows you're a gimp who won't invest in real gear.
One of the best high acc pieces you can use. Only things that come to mind for alternatives are ACC/DW Mirke and Homam Corazza.
Quote:
Depends on the delay of your weapons and other STP gear, but in high haste situations 1 haste versus shaving off a hit to WS can be pretty sidegreadeish for a DW job. The extra accuracy certainly doesn't hurt.

EDIT: Disregard the second part, I forgot about the attack. Nonetheless, while Salvage is fairly easy with a good group it's quite a timesink and upgrading pieces is rather expensive. If they're struggling to get Limbus gear, I'd guess they'd find Salvage quite intimidating. ASA is the easiest of the post-Bravo's haste legs to get and quite good, nothing wrong with suggesting them.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-04 16:31:18  
Bismarck.Ihina said:

Use Skadi to TP in, Homam to cast Utsusemi. Salvage is easier than Limbus

Flawed logic. ASA legs are far easier to obtain than both of them. Use ASA till the other(s) are obtained.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-04 16:31:51  
Quote:
Atk > Str >

If you're going 1 to 1 ratio, then the order of this is incorrect. Only time you want to put str instead of attack is if your fstr is capped or you can get a lot more attack than you can str. For example, you wouldn't use 11 attack instead of 11 str.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-04 16:33:53  
Bismarck.Ihina said:

Use Skadi to TP in, Homam to cast Utsusemi. Salvage is easier than Limbus, and you can do it much more often. What's more, you're a THF, BRD and WHM. You can fit into just about every group.

Uh, why not? It's 1 more accuracy than NQ SH, and easily obtained, and just happens to come with the STP. I never once said use Cobra Harness and Homam Legs over Skadi. I just said you can replicate what the Skadi do. And this person has neither Skadi nor Homam, which is why I put Dusk and Bravo's Subligar in the set.

Bismarck.Ihina said:

What do you recommend as a substitute for Homam, then? (these are in fact, better than Homam, so it doesn't even deserve to be called a substitute.)
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-04 16:39:39  
hmm hmm hmm
well if you don't have homam i would actually wear acc for endgame. Considering you are a thf and you wont even get haste magic lol, ohat will give a bigger boost than turban. Heck i think even if you had haste ohat should be better than turban on gods and etc, cause our acc is really low with or without homam and thats with pizza on top.
First Page 2 ... 14 15 16