users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » General » Attribute Point Placement
Attribute Point Placement
 Gilgamesh.Khara
サーバ: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Khara
By Gilgamesh.Khara 2010-06-07 04:49:44  
Is anyone else pretty skeptical about this system? I understand SE is trying to let us customize our own class, but isn't there a point where there can be too much customization? And even then, I highly doubt people will allow others to stray far from "builds" for certain rolls. Meaning, a melee DD needs x amount of pts in such and such attribute or else they're no good. This kind of stat system reminds me of Ragnarok Online / MapleStory, where if you don't put the points in the right spots for what you want to do, you're thrown to the side and dubbed useless. Sure a reallocation NPC would alleviate a couple of issues, but if it costs gil I say no thanks, place the stat points for me thanks. And no, I'm not lazy, I probably read more guides for whatever MMO I'm playing than the average informed player. So I'd be willing to do it, I just really don't like the system. Anyone agree or am I alone? D:
 Valefor.Vasante
サーバ: Valefor
user: Shadro
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-07 05:18:48  
I understand where you're coming from but I like the option to have that slight edge in customization wherein not every character in the world playing the same job is purely identical in gear and base stats.

I do partially agree with you though as it seems it'll just eventually become moot as time goes on because cookie cutter builds will appear.

Considering you can change jobs on the fly though...
 Fairy.Blackmist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2010-06-07 05:20:11  
Well you can *subtract* merits, by spending some merits, to remove it,

oh, you didn't want that last +1 to STR. well get 9 merits, and you can remove it :p honestly, I think its Really HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, and needs some editing, I mean, Sure ok' takes the same amount to take away, as it did add, but your not "improving" your character so why not make it 1/2

(and before the ppl who pop up saying they can make 15 merits a day)

It Really just depends on your play style, I mean, i got +1 Dex, on my mithra, mainly cause I wanted to see a bace of 90~ Dex, on other jobs, Other then THF *Full dex merits would give my Drg 80 dex, for example*

Granted mithra already being a dex ***. and at the time, My THF Was going to be my Main job.

anyway

if you find your self on RDM ~ BLM or even SCH more, get some INT Merits, Sch, whm, or (lol) main heal smn? MDN merits,

but at the same time, MND also applys to Gulitine and Chi blast.

so Really its all about how YOU play your Job(s)

so Make it how you want it ^^ some ppl might Scuff at you, but you know, fk them, :D
[+]
 Valefor.Vasante
user: Shadro
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-07 05:24:00  
Sorry to burst your bubble, Blackmist, but this is the FFXIV forum.
 Fairy.Blackmist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2010-06-07 06:06:57  
hahah sorry~! my bad i Really shouldn't be posting @ 3am~ xD

Well then ^^; Disregard what i have stated :D
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-07 06:26:36  
Yeah I wasn't excited when I played XIV, still looking forward to it though.
 Sylph.Nazantia
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-06-12 21:46:42  
I agree with you, OP. I like customization, but I don't think this is the right kind of customization. It was fun in Diablo 2 because it was easy to reroll characters; but in FFXIV (assuming XIV is similar to XI), we won't be rerolling and I don't like the idea of having to work my tail off to change stat inadequacies.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-12 22:30:41  
I don't have a problem with this at all really. If you can't figure out what stats your character is going to need (based on ANY previous rpg background) well then sucks for you. For the rest of us with a clue, it won't be that hard to figure out.

Edit: Hmmm, my mage needs MOAR STR~!
 Sylph.Nazantia
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-06-12 22:49:39  
Yeah but you are also assigning your own HP and MP growth, not just STR, DEX, INT, etc. If you don't give yourself enough or too much...
 Shiva.Lorielain
サーバ: Shiva
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-06-12 23:19:57  
Fire Emblem-esque fixed growth rates, choosable at the beginning! {Yes, please.}
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-12 23:36:52  
Sylph.Nazantia said:
Yeah but you are also assigning your own HP and MP growth, not just STR, DEX, INT, etc. If you don't give yourself enough or too much...

Still a simple matter of prioritizing. As long as you aren't getting HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE with it I don't really see a potential for disaster. Though I can see people doing it just for the s and g's maybe lol.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-13 01:02:41  
As far as I'm concerned it's pointless from the get-go.. At least in principle.. It won't take long at all (I give it a month, 2 if that, but I won't be surprised if it takes less then that) for cookie-cutter builds to be well established, and to be judged when you don't adhere to them..

On the other hand, it's not really all that different now.. You can argue you'd like to have the ability to slightly tweak your build to what you feel suits you and your play style, but you can do that on FFXI as well.. Pretty much every 75 job on FFXI has a cookie-cutter build and you're ridiculed by elitists if you don't follow it, there are of course people who couldn't care less about gear/stats and care about how well you actually play your job, and I'm sure there will be plenty of those in XIV as well.

Overall, they're just putting a new face to the same game.. FFXI is old and most everyone has done everything already, FFXIV is new and a chance for people to experience things all over again.

EDIT: As far as character development goes, the only real difference I see, is that you won't have to spend tons of gil to get 'the best' gear to get your stats how you want them.. However, I'm sure you'll still have to bust your *** off to get the stats regardless (in this game we do it by farming gil for equipment, I'm guessing in XIV you'll bust your *** for the ability to tweak stats directly)
 Leviathan.Dubont
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-13 01:29:59  
I'm just waiting for the generic warrior class to show up to a party thinking he is a badass with his 99Str...first hit is a miss...second hit is a miss...third hit is a miss...party leader asks "What are your stats?" Warrior says "99str, 10 int, 10 mnd, 50 Vit, 2dex " /kick /blist /shout of this ignorant person. I've seen it happen in Perfect world...an archer with maxed out Dex gets one shotted b/c he has like 9 Vit...
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-06-16 20:16:51  
The concern wont be so much spending stats wrong initally it will be how updates and just general discoverys in game mechanics will happen. Think of it like STR effecting ranged damage, nothing ever comes out and says it but im sure initally people didnt think it was important looking at rng's stat spread.
 Bahamut.Ahura
サーバ: Bahamut
user: ahuralove
By Bahamut.Ahura 2010-07-03 05:15:15  
your going to get the elitist complaining about gears builds anyway refusing to let you in the part why should you give a crap about your stats hell you can prob lie if its not exactly what they want i think its fantastic making your own screwed up build and its not like they said your stat placement is perm so i really don’t get what your complaining about in ragnarok for sure i know that ive shut ive seen quite a few hundred elitist shut up with some royally screwed up builds out damaging/living them
 Bismarck.Naeo
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Naeo
By Bismarck.Naeo 2010-07-04 01:19:01  
If you can reallocate your stats, it's kinda of a moot argument anyway. go Cookie Cutter build for events later in the game, and switch to your build for fun.

For Instance: you're Job X,(JX here on out) JX's job is to smack the mob for lots of damage, so you pour your stats into STR and DEX for endgame stuff.

during your own personal time, you like to *** around and use Job Y's abilities on JX because it's just fun for you. you can then allocate your skill points to mimic your want, having less STR and DEX, but more MND and MP for your mage "sub" spells and stuff.

But even then, with the ability to "build" your character, i dont see cookie cutters getting all that popular. maybe as a base, like STR gets x ammount, DEX gets x ammount. you now have ~30 points to spend. have fun.

But this is the elitist *** community we're talking about, so who knows.
 Bahamut.Ahura
By Bahamut.Ahura 2010-07-04 05:34:16  
well tbh they prob cant see what build your in so *** them
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-07-04 05:36:18  
its a horrible horrible system

horrible

horrible

also once you used your points on a stat you "cannot" relocate them
 Bismarck.Naeo
By Bismarck.Naeo 2010-07-04 07:24:26  
even with alpha knowledge, you can't say for sure that it's not relocate-able. it may be something they add in during beta, or already have worked out and impliment it before release. or it may just be something they add during the PC release.

but reguardless, we're stuck with this system, we can't complain about it now, less we want XIV to be delayed another couple years :P
 Bahamut.Ahura
By Bahamut.Ahura 2010-07-04 16:17:31  
they wouldnt make you unable to relocate them since you wouldnt be able to from one job to another thatway
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-07-04 16:55:25  
O look more speculation about things people know nothing about.

i'll just walk out now
 Bismarck.Naeo
By Bismarck.Naeo 2010-07-04 17:00:32  
Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:

i'll just walk out now

way to troll and not contribute to the conversation :D where as we're simply talking over options that may or may not be plausible.
Felt the undying need to be useless for a moment did you? well good job, you succeeded.

@ahura - we can't really do much of anything until we know more info, i'm interested in seeing how it pans out =]
 Bahamut.Ahura
By Bahamut.Ahura 2010-07-24 20:04:58  
Bismarck.Naeo said:
Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:

i'll just walk out now

way to troll and not contribute to the conversation :D where as we're simply talking over options that may or may not be plausible.
Felt the undying need to be useless for a moment did you? well good job, you succeeded.

@ahura - we can't really do much of anything until we know more info, i'm interested in seeing how it pans out =]

theyve already stated that you can realocate them and hell they lowered the amount of stats you can upgrade and so
magic power magic def magic acc
power def acuracy thats the way they seem to be going