フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Religion strikes again
Religion strikes again
First Page 2 ... 14 15 16
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-17 18:26:36  
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5297052/ce/us/south-african-man-killed-wife-kids-changing-tv-germany-australia-game?cc=5901&ver=us
Quote:
JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.

David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.

"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.

"In that argument, they started assaulting him."

Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.

Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.

"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."

All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.

Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.

"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."

The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.
[+]
 Shiva.Xet
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-17 18:30:05  
The big problem here is that his wife should have been in the kitchen making him a sammich and getting him beer for the game.

But yeah nothing is right about what i just read.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-06-17 18:30:27  
dude you dont touch the remote, thats it. not religion related. Touch my remove and imma beat u too

:P
[+]
By Zekko 2010-06-17 18:30:53  
Wouldnt say it was religion. Just a disagreement and some freaky people.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-17 18:32:59  
This is why the World Cup sucks.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 18:34:01  
Zekko said:
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-06-17 18:35:41  
Breaking news, riot has showed up in front of hase's house!
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-17 18:37:32  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Breaking news, riot has showed up in front of hase's house!

EY BOY

BETTER NOT COME 'ROUND HERE, BOY!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 18:38:10  
Zekko said:

It was Religion.

Let me explain.

If it would have been any other show, the family would not have killed him, and if they did It would have been wrong!

There is a Logical Pathway between Religion and Atrocious acts.

This horrible man changed the channel on their religious television program. How Dare he do that? God shall not tollerate this kind of behavior.

They killed this man in the name of god. Logically, if you think about it, killing him was a righteus act. They really think they did the right thing, and they believe in their hearts that they are good people for doing it.

[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 18:40:48  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Zekko said:

It was Religion.

Let me explain.

If it would have been any other show, the family would not have killed him, and if they did It would have been wrong!

This horrible man changed the channel on their religious television program. How Dare he do that? God shall not tollerate this kind of behavior.

They killed this man in the name of god. Logically, if you think about it, killing him was a righteus act. They really think they did the right thing, and they believe in their hearts that they are good people for doing it.

[+]
 Shiva.Xet
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-17 18:41:02  
Magnumatic I love the avatar, how its not been b& is beyond me but it's awesome +1
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-17 18:46:06  
Shiva.Xet said:
Magnumatic I love the avatar, how its not been b& is beyond me but it's awesome 1

Why would it?
Someone had an exploding head as one and there was no problem, lol.
I have one where the shooter is the Burger King.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 18:48:54  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Zekko said:

It was Religion.

Let me explain.

Troll or not, he has a good point. Most religious people take it extremely personal, therefore any manner of insult or attack against their faith or should something blasphemous arise they more often than not go apeshit and tend to resort to violent reaction.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 18:51:31  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Zekko said:

It was Religion.

Let me explain.

Troll or not, he has a good point. Most religious people take it extremely personal, therefore any manner of insult or attack against their faith or should something blasphemous arise they more often than not go apeshit and tend to resort to violent reaction.

Most people tend to take violent extremists who practice a religion and then make giant blanket statements which is supposed to apply to anyone who follows a religion.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-17 18:51:47  
Why the *** does a South African man give a ***about Germany and Australia kicking ballz? lol
Firefox got pissed at me for not capitalizing things, including Firefox...just realized those *** are doing that....YOU AREN'T A PROPER NOUN GODDAMN YOU.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 18:52:31  
Well, you see this ***often enough in the news do we not?
But you are correct. Generally these people were passively violent to begin with, however, religious backlash tends to magnify the effect. Sadly resulting in an innocent man's death.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By brahmdut 2010-06-17 18:53:28  
ya we can say the same thing about loads of things.. for that saying religion is the only time.. I'm sure if I go Google I can find people killing to watch sports
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 18:54:18  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Well, you see this ***often enough in the news do we not?
But you are correct. Generally these people were passively violent to begin with, however, religious backlash tends to magnify the effect. Sadly resulting in an innocent man's death.

So does anything that would cause a debate. Money causes deaths too, as does love.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 18:54:21  
I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't practice religion who have murdered for stupider/as stupid reasons, it probably just doesn't make the news because people don't have a huge scapegoat(religion) to blame for it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-17 18:54:54  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Zekko said:

It was Religion.

Let me explain.

Most people tend to take violent extremists who practice a religion and then make giant blanket statements which is supposed to apply to anyone who follows a religion.
you just blew my mind.

Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-06-17 18:55:18  
Nothing is wrong with faith and respecting and fearing our Devine Creator but imo religion is no different than a cult. Religion has caused more death than righteousness since the word religion was created. The whole ideology of religion is blasphemy with in itself.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 18:56:59  
Note that I said most take religion personally. In the end it's up to the individual on whether it becomes a violent reaction or not, but you have to admit; violence is a common side effect to religious conflicts as a whole.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-17 18:57:22  
I do have sympathy for the argument that writing off an entire religion, or the practitioners of that religion, because of bad behavior by a few of its members, is wholly unfair.

That having been said, if the followers of said religion do not act better or worse than the general population in any statistically relevant way, what's the point?

For example, the Catholic Church triumphantly announced the other day that the incidence rate of pedophilia by clergy "is no higher than that of the general population."

Okay, great, but isn't that damning with faint praise? What's the point of looking to the church as a moral compass if it evidently doesn't matter either way?
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 18:59:19  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I do have sympathy for the argument that writing off an entire religion, or the practitioners of that religion, because of bad behavior by a few of its members, is wholly unfair.

That having been said, if the followers of said religion do not act better or worse than the general population in any statistically relevant way, what's the point?

For example, the Catholic Church triumphantly announced the other day that the incidence rate of pedophilia by clergy "is no higher than that of the general population."

Okay, great, but isn't that damning with faint praise? What's the point of looking to the church as a moral compass if it evidently doesn't matter either way?

That is strange. That's almost saying "we're no worse than typical members of society". But certainly not any better.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-17 19:02:19  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Zekko said:
With a dash of 'whatthefuck', but pretty much this. This is people being irrational and *** ridiculous. It's not like they were "Smiting him in the name of Christ!". lol

They "thought" they were :P

Edit: All religious people are not murderous.. But they are definitely all
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
irrational and *** ridiculous.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 19:02:56  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Note that I said most take religion personally. In the end it's up to the individual on whether it becomes a violent reaction or not, but you have to admit; violence is a common side effect to religious conflicts as a whole.

Ya most people you hear of take religion personally. The other several billion who don't make the news everyday obviously don't. Violence is the result of a lot of conflicts in general lol. Anywhere you have the clash of ideas, be it religion, money, favorite channels, violence is always a very possible outcome. Religion is no better or worse imo. And if people weren't fighting over religion, they'd just be fighting over something else.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 19:05:13  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Ya most people you hear of take religion personally. The other several billion who don't make the news everyday obviously don't. Violence is the result of a lot of conflicts in general lol. Anywhere you have the clash of ideas, be it religion, money, favorite channels, violence is always a very possible outcome. Religion is no better or worse imo. And if people weren't fighting over religion, they'd just be fighting over something else.

It was far from my intention to single out religion as the most or only common factor of violent reaction. However, based on the incident at hand, there is a keen correlation between his death and the conflict's circumstances.
First Page 2 ... 14 15 16