Do Violent Video Games Make People Violent?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Do violent video games make people violent?
Do violent video games make people violent?
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Mrbaddawg
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: MrBaDDaWg
By Bahamut.Mrbaddawg 2009-01-02 16:57:33  
hello i was wondering if i could get some thoughts and quotes on this topic, "do violent video games make people violent"

just let me know what yall think or what ever,

i am doing this for a research paper, and was hopping to use some quotes from people in this paper.

Thank you ^^

PS: kinda a bad topic i guess >.< o well
 Asura.Mikerocca
サーバ: Asura
user: kord
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-02 17:04:31  
Horrifically tired and trite debate...anyone weighing in on the matter is guilty of being violent for the beating of this long, dead horse...

You're probably better off googling it for your research instead of starting a fresh one all over again on a final fantasy board--a community comprised of members who are notorious for bashing the views and opinions of others and derailing threads via the use of 4chan posters :D <3

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Drue
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Drue
By Bismarck.Drue 2009-01-02 17:39:25  
Video games don't make ppl violent it's the ppl themselves that are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE enough to let go of reality and do dumb things. I did a college current event on that same topic and that's about all I put down.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-02 17:41:32  
I was helping my elderly relative across the road the other day. After helping her I went home and played on some Unreal Tournament for a few hours. The next day, instead of helping her across the road, I stole a flag she had in her bag, gunned her down and ran back towards my house shouting "I've got the Flag!".

Decide for yourself whether video games make people violent.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Mikerocca
user: kord
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-02 17:43:41  
Wooooodum said:
I was helping my elderly relative across the road the other day. After helping her I went home and played on some Unreal Tournament for a few hours. The next day, instead of helping her across the road, I stole a flag she had in her bag, gunned her down and ran back towards my house shouting "I've got the Flag!".

Decide for yourself whether video games make people violent.

Ty!!! rofl
 Bismarck.Drue
By Bismarck.Drue 2009-01-02 17:47:30  
sorry thought it was a serious topic lol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-02 18:06:55  
I think it was supposed to be, but this whole discussion is so ridiculous to me, I had to reply accordingly!
 Fairy.Blackmist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-02 18:11:48  
it all depends on the person, they could be just normaly violent and play games, but blame the games for there violance, (scape goat)

but really its the ppl who are dumb enough to act on anger from a video game an lash out in real life, games are there for you to "lash out" in an other sence, releave your stress.

Violnet games like GTA DOOM or w/e. nothing better then shooting something an not worrying about "how do i hide the evidance"

But if your stupid enough to get mad at a game an beat the next old lady you see, for her little flag, shame on you (lol ^.-)

It's just all relivance as to how ppl take it.
games don't Make ppl violent, but some times brings out there pre-existing anger, an violnet tendianceys

In other words. They need to play FF & kill tw monsters to releave stress :O

Flare 80000000 dmg to a lvl -7 worm XD

problem solved
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-02 18:22:56  
Sometimes after playing FF for lots of hours straight, when I go outside, my mind is still in FF mode when I look at things and people. This is generally humorous and wears off almost immediately. But, one of these days, that could all change...
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-02 18:24:23  
:P so thats why you play FF untell you pass out :O no worries about attacking the neibors dog thinking its ceribrus un clamed :O
 Seraph.Kep
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kepnerd1
By Seraph.Kep 2009-01-02 18:44:52  
Drue said:
Video games don't make ppl violent it's the ppl themselves that are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE enough to let go of reality and do dumb things.

Agreed...stupid people put a bad mark on video games.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-02 19:13:18  
Would you buy a game because you can blow someones head off in that game? Evryone does stuff like that and enjoys it in-game, but once the game is off people come back into reality.

When you hear about people enacting stuff they see on game it's the people being mentally unstable or w/e and they could have just as easily enacted stuff they've seen on TV. That's just my opinion >.>
 Bismarck.Drue
By Bismarck.Drue 2009-01-02 19:15:23  
like kids when the power rangers first showed up
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-02 19:21:34  
Drue said:
like kids when the power rangers first showed up

LOL =D
 Alexander.Sgtdbo
サーバ: Alexander
user: sgtdbo
By Alexander.Sgtdbo 2009-01-02 19:35:22  
The fact that this is even an acceptable topic for a research paper shows the broken state of our educational system and how out of touch our so called educators are.

Show me the kids who became violent because of violent video games and I will show you the parents who failed and blame everything and everyone but themselves.
 Bahamut.Mrbaddawg
user: MrBaDDaWg
By Bahamut.Mrbaddawg 2009-01-02 20:01:23  
Sgtdbo said:
The fact that this is even an acceptable topic for a research paper shows the broken state of our educational system and how out of touch our so called educators are.

Show me the kids who became violent because of violent video games and I will show you the parents who failed and blame everything and everyone but themselves.

ohhhh nice i like that lol,

and thank you everyone who took this topic seriously... >.> iv never read FF fourms before and didnt know they did those type of things lol.

and yea... my teacher choose this topic for me, out of 10 that i picked -.-
 Sylph.Feyen
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hiachi
By Sylph.Feyen 2009-01-02 20:57:36  
Ultimate Fact: There was violence before violent video games, before violent television programs, before violent motion-pictures, before violent books.

People just want something to martyr, whether its Harry Potter, Poke'Mon, violent video games, etc.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
サーバ: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-01-02 21:12:34  
lol pokemon cards make kids violent. like when that kid shiv'd another over a pokemon card.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-01-02 22:44:32  
religion makes people violent. <---put that in your paper.

people are naturally violent period. anyone who says otherwise needs to go back to the mines where stupid oafs belong.
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-01-02 22:45:54  
I'll be naturally violent cause some dude on the internet told me I was.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-01-03 00:32:35  
Video games don't make people more violent, and I'll kill anyone who disagrees!! >:D

But on a more serious note. I've done 3+ talks on this before. When I look online I always find lots of studies on how they make people more violent. I even brought it up in a Philosophy class (which was quite funny because the teacher believed they do). I showed the Gears of War 2 commercial and said you can saw people in half. She thought it was strange and asked "Who in their right mind would want to stare at a computer screen and cut someone in two?" I proceded to raise my hand and so did about 8 other guys in the room. haha

So the side that believes it does has a lot of actual numbers and such. But when you believe it doesn't, there seems to be slightly less "facts". I've found that in my almost 10 years of video games (getting my first game on my 11th birthday), everything from Pokemon Red to Left 4 Dead. I don't have the urge to go be violent to someone. Whether that violence is going and punching someone in the arm or shooting them in the head.

Its also like my dad says. There was violence before video games. And my personal opinion is I'd rather have my kid had home playing a video game than going out and smoking/drinking/vandalizing.

Also on the other side, yes I suppose it can cause violence of some kind if there is something in your head that makes it hard for you to perceive fantasy from reality.
 Fairy.Telamon
user: prisonsex
By Fairy.Telamon 2009-01-03 01:49:40  
I do believe that video games, along with any other medium can make people more violent, however marginal the difference may be.

Let me emphasize, I don't think that video games can turn a normal person into a violent person. I believe that excessive exposure to any violent sources may increase violent tendencies in a person. Be it, Television, literature, video games, or other people.

Not in the sense that the person will mistake fantasy with reality, but moreso that the exposure to violence will justify the violent behaviors and distort what is morally right and wrong.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-03 04:51:02  
Bigger question should be this....

Does violence make violent video games? If it wasn't for pre-existing violence, would there be a GTA or Halo? Is it human nature to seek out violent acts either thru violent means or "imaginary situations"

Now, back to killing that bunny rabbit with Burst II....
 Ifrit.Maverick
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Maverick
By Ifrit.Maverick 2009-01-03 05:38:53  
SE makes me violent when i hear people go 1/1 on LL and i was there till i was 1/77, lol

And when they amuse themselves with the idea of 90 hour repop NMs

GTA lets me relieve this stress
 Bahamut.Blooodyangel
user:
By Bahamut.Blooodyangel 2009-01-03 07:00:40
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

does romantic novels or movies make people romantic?........ they like to believe so, but that doesnt make them romantic. nothing MAKES you violent, romantic, smart or whatever, unless you are raised on stuff like that, and not "educated", like a boy only watch scary movies since childhood, if left alone can become violent or .... a wuss, but after you reached certain point where you know right from wrong and you are responsible of your own actions, its your choice to do something or not, anything that happen around you might influence your decision but it wont MAKE you do anything, unless someone is pointing a gun to your head :P

vedio games, religion, politics whatever, you are responsible of your own actions if you are sane person and been taught to do whats right, if we can blame games and religions... we dont have the right to sue people as they are not responsible of their actions ^^
 Leviathan.Robban
user: Robban
By Leviathan.Robban 2009-01-03 07:56:38  
talk about video games making people violent makes people violent...

ok, what i think is that it's a symptom instead of cause of violence in some people. As in violence leads to violent behaviour and playing violent video games, not video games leads to violence that leads to violent behaviour. not saying that all players of violent video games are potentially violent.

or then it could be that people just use video games as a scapegoat
First Page 2 3