フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Bela is a Darkfriend
Bela is a Darkfriend
 Cerberus.Pukushu
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2010-07-30 23:53:39  
Valefor.Prothescar said:
If one enjoys George R.R. Martin's work, would one enjoy this series?

i enjoy bot WoT and the saga of fire and ice. id say similar but not really exact. WoT really takes off in the later books. the first ones are good for sure, but leaps and bounds as the series progresses.

fire and ice has more death and so plot twists are more shocking and permanent, but WoT has more intrigue imo. both have their action, intrigue, and magic portions. i do want to finish both, but i have invested over a decade into WoT so thats high on my list to finish.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-30 23:57:15  
Robert Jordan is a superior world builder/designer than Martin, but Martin has a better sense of pace and plot twists.

At least until the last book, in which Captain Sasquatch evidently shot it all straight to hell. Didn't he say the next book would be out five years ago? And he forgot half the characters in the last one?

The sad thing is that for all its copious length, it looks like Wheel of Time will be finished before Martin gets the next Ice and Fire book out. He's apparently nowhere even close, according to his own blog.

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Is Towers of Midnight? the last book in the series? Oh yeah what how long ago did Robert Jordan die?
Jordan died in 2007. Sanderson is finishing the series under the watchful eye of Jordan's wife (who was his editor), and his former assistants. They're finishing the series off Jordan's copious notes about how he wanted it done, which he had years to write because his terminal illness took awhile.

Sanderson is an enormous RJ fan, so he's taking the utmost care in it, mimicking his style as much as possible and supposedly the last books are really good. RJ's wife chose him.

I'm not up to the last books yet. Only up to 10. The problem with the Wheel of Time is that it goes into a fairly long lull from about book 6-9, where not a lot happens but massive political setup, etc. Jordan admitted later that he got bogged down in a world that had gotten too big and a character roster that had grown too long.

A lot of people drop the series at this point, because it doesn't have the rapid-fire action of the first ones. But it picks up again for the big finish.
 Ragnarok.Wran
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: wran
By Ragnarok.Wran 2010-07-31 00:25:40  
no Towers of Midnight is not the last book. What happened is that 12 books were planed by Jordan. the 12th was to be called A Memory of Light. It was decided that it would be broken into 3 books, 12 is The Gathering Storm, 13 is Towers Of Midnight, and the 14th will be called A Memory of Light.
There is also talk of other books after the main series that cover before wheel of time and some for after A Memory of Light.

The Gathering Storm is well written and I did love it. It answer many questions that are left from the first 11 books. Brandon Sanderson does a excellent job, it just bothers me that i can tell its not Jordan

I do recommend Reading the forward in The Gathering Storm Brandon Sanderson did a great job explaining what was/is happening with the series.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2010-07-31 01:11:03  
LOL >< so true
 Bismarck.Amla
user: Amla
By Bismarck.Amla 2010-08-06 03:31:03  
<3 this series

just about to start reading book 12 (the 1st part lol) cant wait ^-^
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-08-06 03:49:42  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Wheel of Time reference.

*** Twilight. Vapid teen wish fulfillment crap.

/clap

But I have to say those books are not bad I read a few...

Blame the movies for ruining ***, this is what happens. It is no different than the justin beiber phenomenon going on.
 Siren.Temeraire
サーバ: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-06 16:07:18  
IMHO Robert Jordan is excellent on characterization, but a bit shady on his plotlines. There are more loose ends than just the death of Asmodean.

I have read all of the books.

Surprised this has not been mentioned yet, but film rights for the entire series have been sold. The Eye of the World is slated for release sometime in the second half of 2011. Would like to believe it would trounce Twilight, but millions of gushing teenage girls > millions of nerdy fanboys.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-08-06 16:11:41  
Siren.Temeraire said:
IMHO Robert Jordan is excellent on characterization, but a bit shady on his plotlines. There are more loose ends than just the death of Asmodean.

Surprised this has not been mentioned yet, but film rights for the entire series have been sold. The Eye of the World is slated for release sometime in the second half of 2011. Would like to believe it would trounce Twilight, but millions of gushing teenage girls > millions of nerdy fanboys.
YAAAAAAAAAAAY, do we know who the cast is yet??? 'Cause this had better be LotR-good or even better. (I loved the cast for LotR. Wish Viggo had a more robust voice, though. :3)

BTW, Just finished book 4. I almost cried when [something REALLY devastating happened!]. ; ; That's just so wrong....
 Siren.Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-06 16:14:57  
It is on IMDB, but the page is very short and doesn't list much detail other than an expected 2011 release.

Keep reading...Siuan isn't done yet, and she and Bela have a close relationship (technically Bela is Egwene's horse, tho).
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-08-06 16:15:42  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Siren.Temeraire said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAY, do we know who the cast is yet??? 'Cause this had better be LotR-good or even better. (I loved the cast for LotR. Wish Viggo had a more robust voice, though. :3)

BTW, Just finished book 4. I almost cried when [something REALLY devastating happened!]. ; ; That's just so wrong....
That was seriously in book 4? Wow, I didn't really appreciate how long ago that was lol. I reread them just before 12 came out, then again once i had read 12.. I probably should have payed more attention.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-08-06 16:25:08  
Siren.Temeraire said:
It is on IMDB, but the page is very short and doesn't list much detail other than an expected 2011 release.

Keep reading...Siuan isn't done yet, and she and Bela have a close relationship (technically Bela is Egwene's horse, tho).
:O Cooooooooooooooool....
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-06 16:34:21  
No spoilers for those who haven't read it! ><
 Siren.Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-06 16:49:00  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
No spoilers for those who haven't read it! ><

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I just wanted to put a little teaser in there for those who just read earlier in the thread that the series gets bogged down.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-08-06 16:51:04  
OH, ***. Sorry >_<
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2010-08-06 17:36:29  
I love this series, but I can see why people fizzle out on it. It starts off like a typical adventure/fantasy series, but after a point it becomes less adventury, and starts being about politics. How can Rand possibly befriend both the Seanchan and Illianders? Aes Sedai are everywhere, but instead of smiting shadowspawn, they're too busy nestling themselves in the colons of the royalty of the nations. And what the hell is up the *** of the Children of Light? Those dudes need to get laid big time.

Still, I love the series, and am currently working on part 1 of the 3 part Tar'mon Gaidon series.

Btw, spoiler alert... Bela's more than a darkfriend. She's the Dark One!!!!

edit: Furthermore, she's wiping the world of all the humans so she can employ her amateur gardeners (trollocs) to cover the world with carrot fields.
 Quetzalcoatl.Cuzuki
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Cuzuki
By Quetzalcoatl.Cuzuki 2010-08-06 18:17:15  
Totally awesome series. It seriously does drag a bit in books 7-10 (anyone who says that nothing happens Lord of Chaos needs to wake up, reread it, and pay more attention.) Except for Mat's chapters. Mat's just awesome. However, it has definitely picked up again in Knife of Dreams and Gathering Storm. Yes, Gathering Storm Towers, of Midnight and, A Memory of Light was originally meant to be a single book, but it was getting waaaay too large. So the PUBLISHER decided to have it split into three books.

I'm currently reading Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and would definitely recommend WoT readers to read this trilogy as well. Just remember that Brandon Sanderson loves his plot twists, I'm expecting some major ones in the final two WoT books. Although there were some nice sized ones in Gathering Storm already.

Siren.Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-06 20:05:36  
If you read the wikipedia page and other internet pages about WoT, you will see that the series grew from something like a proposed trilogy to a six book deal to a promise to stop at ten books. In the end, Jordan decided to end it all in one book tentatively titled "A Memory of Light" no matter how many pages it took. Apparently, he left something like 1500 pages worth of material in note form, and Sanderson got it up to 2600 pages by the time the decision was made to split the final "book" up. Basically, the publisher stated that it couldn't print a 2600 page book, and Jordan's widow felt that the size of the book would scare away some potential readers. Sanderson then agreed to write three books instead of one.

It is somewhat ironic that books 7-10 are the most criticized on here, yet the series didn't start hitting No. 1 on the best seller lists until those very books.