Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-03 11:47:58  
OP why you linking me to a QQ article?
Whomever wrote it must have like a vat full of tears by now.
I think GI isn't including ***about it because they doubt it's going to be released the day that they say it will, because...well they often don't.
 Cerberus.Rayik
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2010-08-03 11:58:23  
I stopped getting game magazines a long, long time ago. I realized one day after sifting through the 20 pages in-a-row of ads, that that's all the articles really were. Advertisements. The games they were raving about often times sucked, were way over-hyped, or flat out didn't happen(Dead Rush anyone?). That's why certain game stores push subscriptions to their own home brand of magazine; yeah, I wanna pay a yearly subscription fee for 116 pages of ads.

Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-03 12:14:32  
Cerberus.Rayik said:
I stopped getting game magazines a long, long time ago. I realized one day after sifting through the 20 pages in-a-row of ads, that that's all the articles really were. Advertisements. The games they were raving about often times sucked, were way over-hyped, or flat out didn't happen(Dead Rush anyone?). That's why certain game stores push subscriptions to their own home brand of magazine; yeah, I wanna pay a yearly subscription fee for 116 pages of ads.

Internet killed the magazine star >.>
<.<
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-03 12:38:30  
In their defense, if anyone had told me a bazillion-dollar AAA MMO that's been in development for many, many years, was still trying to keep their servers up longer than 20 minutes 8-10 weeks before launch day, I would write them off too.

I know that SE is working very hard, and commend them for it. If they pull it off, they all deserve raises and about 3 months of comp time.

But if Sep 30th is really launch day, they are very, very behind the usual development curve for an MMO. They should have been in stable, no-invite-needed, always-up open beta in March or April at the latest. They should probably be in code freeze on most features by this point, just to get infrastructure needs figured out and settled. And they should not be making dramatic changes to things like the combat system 7 weeks before launch day. (More like 5, with launch buffer.)

MMO's only get one chance at launch. If your launch goes poorly, crashes, is buggy, or otherwise incomplete, you don't get to come back three months later and convince people to try again. If you get slammed in the press and community for having a crappy product on Day 0, your game is doomed. EQ2, Anarchy Online, SWG -- games that suffer rocky launches never manage to regain their ideal subscription trajectories. I really really hope SE is willing to delay launch if necessary, instead of pushing something sketchy out the door.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-08-03 13:17:11  
Shiva.Snojoe said:

Yeah, GI is totally in bed with Blizzard and sucking WoW off like Anna Nicole used to, but in all reality, I think both sides are pretty much right in their stances.

Not all game players play MMOs, but all MMO players play games.

I really lol'd at this. Does it sometimes also make you think, that maybe GI is somehow syphoning off somewhere in mmo-land that maybe there may be some corporate pay offs or kickbacks, and GI makes their money off promoting WOW. I somehow doubt they make their money, just by lilttle editorials and such.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-03 13:49:59  
FF14's success or failure will have no effect on FF11's projected lifetime as long as it remains profitable.

All MMO's have predictable life cycle graphs, and typically have subscriber numbers that mimic urban center population distribution. This stuff is a pretty well-defined science at this point. Once the game's been around for awhile and the math has taken over, the individual opinions of the user base are, surprisingly, mostly irrelevant.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
サーバ: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-08-03 13:55:55  
FF games have never been bad, just some are worse than other FF. And you can only tell after playing it. Online video game sites or magazines often gave a good mark to games I just hated (metalgear ... 10/10 for a game with 5 hours of gameplay and 30 hours of cinematics, ... really ? ) and conversely. I mean some snow board game they praised are just worse than the snow board mini-game in FF7's Gold Saucer. 90% of the games on consoles are utter ***, and I'm certain FFXIV will belong to the last 10%, like always.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-03 13:58:06  
GameInformer had a story on FFXIV anyway. Good luck trying to find anything on FFXI in GI though.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-03 14:00:17  
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
FF games have never been bad, just some are worse than other FF. And you can only tell after playing it. Online video game sites or magazines often gave a good mark to games I just hated (metalgear ... 10/10 for a game with 5 hours of gameplay and 30 hours of cinematics, ... really ? ) and conversely. I mean some snow board game they praised are just worse than the snow board mini-game in FF7's Gold Saucer. 90% of the games on consoles are utter ***, and I'm certain FFXIV will belong to the last 10%, like always.
Well Yeah, those dumbasses are only going towards pretty graphics than gameplay.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-03 14:04:55  
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
I had snowboard game on one of my old cell phones.
it was a fun portable time killer.
also.
has anyone heard of "Eorzeapedia" before this?
I think it's funny they made a whole argument and then another counter argument against GI when GI isn't going to give a ***what they say.
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-08-04 10:36:15  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
In their defense, if anyone had told me a bazillion-dollar AAA MMO that's been in development for many, many years, was still trying to keep their servers up longer than 20 minutes 8-10 weeks before launch day, I would write them off too.

I know that SE is working very hard, and commend them for it. If they pull it off, they all deserve raises and about 3 months of comp time.

But if Sep 30th is really launch day, they are very, very behind the usual development curve for an MMO. They should have been in stable, no-invite-needed, always-up open beta in March or April at the latest. They should probably be in code freeze on most features by this point, just to get infrastructure needs figured out and settled. And they should not be making dramatic changes to things like the combat system 7 weeks before launch day. (More like 5, with launch buffer.)

MMO's only get one chance at launch. If your launch goes poorly, crashes, is buggy, or otherwise incomplete, you don't get to come back three months later and convince people to try again. If you get slammed in the press and community for having a crappy product on Day 0, your game is doomed. EQ2, Anarchy Online, SWG -- games that suffer rocky launches never manage to regain their ideal subscription trajectories. I really really hope SE is willing to delay launch if necessary, instead of pushing something sketchy out the door.
I agree with all this for the most part. However at the rate SE has been flying through the "beta phases" leads me to think that they have more developed than they are letting on. They seem to be trickling out content that's been ready (or nearly ready) to launch. Weather or not this is a good development model, or if it's even true at all I have no idea. Just my speculation.
 Seraph.Corrderio
サーバ: Seraph
user: Corrderio
By Seraph.Corrderio 2010-08-04 10:58:23  
This is why I never read gaming magazines or bother with reviews.