users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » General » Silly Question
Silly Question
 Shiva.Snojoe
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: snojoe
By Shiva.Snojoe 2010-08-07 17:13:45  
I know that Phase 2 of the beta ended the other day, so I'm figuring this may be the cause, but I figure I'll ask here before I post on the beta's forums.

I just gained entry into the beta, downloaded the installer, ran it, etc. When I go to start it though, I get a Windows pop-up saying that the application stopped working (a la Windows saying Firefox, Thunderbird, Safari, etc., stopped working; it's not the Beta program itself) before anything happens.

Is this a result of the beta being shut off for the time being (like, there's nothing for the client to connect to, so it just crashes), or should I still be able to connect to *something* despite being between Beta phases?

I'm waiting for sure to post on the Beta site until after Phase 3 begins, that way I'm not creating a problem thats not really a problem, but I'm just curious if it's me, or the [lack of] game.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-08-07 17:43:22  
I had this same issue, as well as a few other ATI card users. Try updating your drivers, should work perfectly afterwords.

When beta is down, you'll be able to access the login screen, it'll just never connect and eventually time out.
 Caitsith.Lerond
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2010-08-07 17:59:39  
I got that window that said it stopped working properly, dont know about you but my graphics card is quite old and i just assumed that was the problem.
 Shiva.Snojoe
サーバ: Shiva
user: snojoe
By Shiva.Snojoe 2010-08-07 18:32:05  
Ragnarok.Flippant said:
I had this same issue, as well as a few other ATI card users. Try updating your drivers, should work perfectly afterwords.

When beta is down, you'll be able to access the login screen, it'll just never connect and eventually time out.
D'oh.

I did that last week, and forgot to restart; that'll actually explain why an icon would remain highlighted even when I took my mouse off it, and it wasn't active, XD. That did the trick, the update files are downloading now. Thanks :)