...and nothing of value was lost.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-11 01:50:38  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
My advice is give up sam with that gimp gear, and level a job that can take full advantage of ah gear like drg or drk.
Yeah, because you started the game with awesome gear right? Don't be a douche.

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Believe he is topic banned now. ...and nothing of value was lost.

After reading this, I've decided I am in favor of abortion in cases of incest
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
サーバ: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-11 02:02:11  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
My advice is give up sam with that gimp gear, and level a job that can take full advantage of ah gear like drg or drk.
Yeah, because you started the game with awesome gear right? Don't be a douche.

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Believe he is topic banned now. ...and nothing of value was lost.

After reading this, I've decided I am in favor of abortion in cases of incest
Yep.
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-11 07:30:12  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Great Katana TP/WS:

Change Bushi to Wyvern, then you can worry about Torques/PCC and Aces/Wally

Siren.Clinpachi said:

Polearm TP/WS:

As for mix and match vs 5/5 Usukane, that will depend on the target and your food, but mix and match + pizza is normally the best. Unless 5/5 Usukane allows you to eat meat.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-08-11 10:40:42  
Why do people keep insisting on the tp grip?

Isn't it only +11 stp after full Store TP merits as lvl 75SAM to get a 6-hit? Wouldn't goading belt(+5), rajas ring(+5), brutal earring(+1), chiv chain(+1)/Unkai Nodowa(+3) give you either +12 or +14 stp? I'm just trying to clarify.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-11 11:03:48  
Lakshmi.Wardens said:

Isn't it only +11 stp after full Store TP merits as lvl 75SAM to get a 6-hit? Wouldn't goading belt(+5), rajas ring(+5), brutal earring(+1), chiv chain(+1)/Unkai Nodowa(+3) give you either +12 or +14 stp? I'm just trying to clarify.

It depends on your weapon.

For Hagun (delay:450) or any other 450 delay Great Katana, Rose Strap is unnecessary, since Rajas Ring (+5)+ Brutal Earring (+1) + either Usukane Sune-Ate (+7), Hachiman Sune-Ate (+5), or Askar Korazin (+5) gives you the Store TP needed to 6-hit with full merits.

However, many SAMs are now using higher delay Great Katanas, created by Trial of the Magians. When using a higher delay weapon, it's possible to make a reasonable 5-hit build, and one of the key pieces is the Rose Grip (+4).
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-11 11:14:43  
Lakshmi.Wardens said:

Well for starters you are using many slots that are used for better options, such as a PCC in neck, or Jtorque. Then you want to maintain as much haste as possible, so for those who own Vbelt, Goading is a weaker option unless you can achieve a 5hit. Chiv chain is okay, but still loses out to superior slots, whereas grips generally offer minimal increases.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-11 11:19:49  
Goading isn't standard gear yet since it drops from Lacovie and trading Pole out for Rose is a better trade than Goading for Velocious or Bullwhip Belt. It's really only for those who have Swift or are trying for a 5hit.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-11 12:56:07  
Lakshmi.Wardens said:

'cos rose+rajas+brutal+ecp ring is the best way to 6hit SAM w/o usukane body or goading belt.

You lose no haste, 1-3 accuracy and 2 DA.
Every other combination of gear (Hachi hands or feet, askar body etc) lose a lot more accuracy or haste.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-08-11 15:33:23  
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I personally really want a Goading belt at the moment. I've never really been a fan of the swift belt, I've just used it to get around 19-20% haste on my SAM..

But the enmity on and stp on Goading belt will help both my SAM and PLD. No clue how I'm going to get it though...
 Phoenix.Cell
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2010-08-11 22:15:30  
Wow, lots of info.

Shiva.Superdan said:
I'd reccommend working towards Byakko's Haidate.

back - Amemet will do fine, get a smil+1 for ws

waist - Swift on tp, warwolf on ws. Easy ^^

Once you are ready to upgrade from this, the standard has usually been fume feet, b.haidate legs, dusk hands, hauby & walahra turban for main 5 armor slots in TP.
Thanks, I will work on Byakko's as soon as I get a good end game shell. I picked up a smil+1 and had a warwolf belt aleardy. As for the W. Turban, I have 1000 bronze pieces but Chochoroon has been taken so I cant get it yet.

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:

As for merits 5/5 overwhelm is a must
also 5/5 store tp is a must
But usually people do
5/5 store tp
5/5 meditate recast
5/5 overwhelm
4/5 blade bash
1/5 shikikoyo or full 5/5 blade bash
but in terms of ikishoten/shikikoyo/blade bash it really depends what you're doing mostly with your sam
then one day maybe you can gear to look like this(give or take better items)
Thanks for the merit suggestions and the gear setup is just amazing. =p

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

I think your gear is off to a good start. I hope this information piques your interest in a few of the suggested items. Regardless, remember that playing SAM is so much more than your equipment, no matter what the basement-dwellers tell you. Knowing how to manage your enmity, knowing how and when to skillchain, knowing how to switch from offense to defense using Hasso and Seigan, knowing how to utilize Store TP to maximize your WeaponSkills ... all of these are so much important than your equipment.
Good luck!
Nice. Those are all things I think about and like to work on.

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Without Byakko's Haidate you can just use Turban, Fuma and Dusk gloves for 11% Haste while wearing Shinimusha haidate as the key piece to maintain 6hit.

On paper it is better but full Perle isn't a bad choice regardless as it's overall stats cannot be ignored.

Merit choices have been covered above, but I personally went with 5/5 Blade Bash as having it as a 5 minute timer is a god send for me as it saves lives, Shikikoyo is good but most jobs will be /SAM mostly anyway so that's faded somewhat.
So once I add W. Turban to my Fumas, Dusks, and Swift Belt Ill be at 15% Haste.

Bismarck.Maxse said:
I camped O Kotes and legs in O Castle, Bounding Boots, Empress, went 1/2 on Swift Belt, Beat Cop for Rajas (Prommies before update), I just got sky access and Im on Devine Might for earring. What more could I have done by my 5th month? Bleh.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
You have STP merited so that's a good start. You need 11STP for a 6hit with Hagun, or 12-13 for true 6hit. So as of now, you can achieve that through your haidate, rajas ring alone. So you could use Turban/Dusk/Shinimusha/Fuma for haste. A better option would be to get Rose strap and use chiv chain/ecphoria so you can wear full perle for higher haste until you get Byakko's.
Good info thanks. What about Stp while in WS set? I mean I macro back to TP set before first swing, so does that not matter?

Also, Im on the last fight of Acp and was going to grab this. Is this completely worthless inplace of the Hauby?

Nuevo Coselete Rare Ex
[Body] All Races
DEF:49 HP+20 STR+5 DEX+5 VIT+5
LV 75 WAR PLD DRK SAM DRG

Acc. +10
Store Tp +4 Subtle Blow +4

Ifrit.Vextra
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 22:23:16  
Phoenix.Cell said:

Good info thanks. What about Stp while in WS set? I mean I macro back to TP set before first swing, so does that not matter?

Also, Im on the last fight of Acp and was going to grab this. Is this completely worthless inplace of the Hauby?

Nuevo Coselete Rare Ex
[Body] All Races
DEF:49 HP+20 STR+5 DEX+5 VIT+5
LV 75 WAR PLD DRK SAM DRG

Acc. +10
Store Tp +4 Subtle Blow +4

If this is for a 450 delay GK such as hagun, rajas and brutal will be enough stp in ws to keep you at a 6hit build, my opinion save the coselete for something else! Also 78 upgrade hauby to perle.

edit: shinimusha haidate are a good alt until byakko's, these will allow you to tp in dusk gloves and fuma, assuming you have stp fully merited, which should be your first priority after dinging 75.
 Ifrit.Eckz
user: Eckz
By Ifrit.Eckz 2010-08-11 22:39:03  
Ifrit.Vextra said:

If this is for a 450 delay GK such as hagun, rajas and brutal will be enough stp in ws to keep you at a 6hit build, my opinion save the coselete for something else! Also 78 upgrade hauby to perle.

edit: shinimusha haidate are a good alt until byakko's, these will allow you to tp in dusk gloves and fuma, assuming you have stp fully merited, which should be your first priority after dinging 75.

Unless I'm mistaken NQ Haub would be a better choice over Perle Hauberk if not using the full set.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 22:47:10  
Ifrit.Eckz said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:

Unless I'm mistaken NQ Haub would be a better choice over Perle Hauberk if not using the full set.

nope perle is better
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-11 22:49:40  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Ifrit.Eckz said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:

nope perle is better

TP or WS?

I can't be bothered to read the entire thread.
 Ifrit.Eckz
By Ifrit.Eckz 2010-08-11 22:51:07  
I should have clarified that I was referring to for TP.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 22:52:06  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Ifrit.Eckz said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:

nope perle is better

TP or WS?

I can't be bothered to read the entire thread.
then dont bother posting.

but,

....full perle at 78 if you dont have byakkos, ws in perle body (perle head isnt bad either) at 78 if you dont have osode
[+]
 Ifrit.Eckz
By Ifrit.Eckz 2010-08-11 22:59:12  

edit: Somehow managed to forget fuma's and didn't give swift belt to the perle set. Shouldn't post when I'm tired lol.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 23:36:51  
with op's gear atm full perle + rajas + chiv chain + ecphoria ring + rose strap would net him a 6hit with 14 haste(not counting the swift as it doesnt matter pertaining to this)
this is better than
11 haste from w.turban, dusk gloves, and fumas

Where have you been these last four years in ffxi if you think 2 haste isnt better?

of course once op gets byakkos he should be using them.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-11 23:49:24  
Yeah, with a 450 delay weapon... SAM needs +46 StoreTP for TP, and +44 StoreTP for WS, for a 6hit build.

So, if he doesn't have Byakko's Haidate yet...

He could do Full perle set + rajas + Brutal earring + rose strap + Chiv chain (or Ecphoria ring instead of Chiv chain)... so that plus 25 STP Jobtrait and +10 StoreTP from merits, he'll have +46 STP for TP, and +14% haste in full perle.

For WS just needed +44 StoreTP, which is jobtrait,merits, rajas, rose strap. (brutal should still go in there though)
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-11 23:58:44  
sam cant wear blitz, he needs both chiv chain and ecphoria equipped during tp phase to maintain a 6hit in addition to having rajas and brutal rose strap, if using full perle.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-12 00:00:59  
Nope, just need 11 STP during TP phase. 16.7*5+16.6=100.1
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-12 00:02:36  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
sam cant wear blitz, he needs both chiv chain and ecphoria equipped during tp phase to maintain a 6hit in addition to having rajas and brutal, if using full perle.

lol brain fart on the blitz ring there. I'll fix that...

But unless I'm overlooking something here.. why chiv chain + ecphoria if he only needs +46STP for TP and +44 for WS?

Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-12 00:04:01  
op doesnt have brutal, not sure why i added it to one of my posts though
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-12 00:07:20  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Nope, just need 11 STP during TP phase. 16.7*5+16.6=100.1

Yeah, I was gonna say... I was pretty sure I had done the math right on that...

11.5 base TP per hit.

For TP: 11.5 * .46 = 5.29 + 11.5 = 16.7 TP

For WS: 11.5 * .44 = 5.06 + 11.5 = 16.5 TP

16.7 * 5 = 83.5 TP for 5 swings.

83.5 TP + 16.5 TP = 100% TP
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-12 00:09:44  
I meant to say rose strap instead of brutal its fixed now
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-12 00:12:28  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
I meant to say rose strap instead of brutal its fixed now

lol np it happens... but yeah, you're right... if he doesn't have brutal earring, he can do it with chiv chain + ecphoria ring then, yeah.

He should be getting brutal soon though, considering that he already has a rajas ring <.<

Alexander.Gib
サーバ: Alexander
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-08-12 00:19:33  
Full time Domaru, it's the obvious choice
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-12 00:26:59  
Alexander.Gib said:
Full time Domaru, it's the obvious choice

Actually if you don't have askar or usu body domaru is a good choice to keep a 5hit with the new GK. One second let me make some item sets.

edit:

TP

Can swap out domaru with askar or usu and swift with goading, but this is a fairly easy to obtain 5hit. Usu feet with lol hachiman.
TP per hit 20.4

WS

TP per hit 19

(20.4*4)+19=100.6 <- 5hit without sacrificing too much str on ws phase.

Can get around using usu feet by using
Hachiman hands
Chiv chain
Atilla's earring
Ecphoria ring
This will bring you to 20.3 tp per hit allowing you to tp in fumas and ws in full str + hachiman body
 Phoenix.Cell
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2010-08-12 01:58:53  
Back to OP. Me. I don't have Rose Strap or Brutal yet.