In Need Of New PC Suggestions!

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXIV » General » In need of new PC suggestions!
In need of new PC suggestions!
 Shiva.Jestta
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Matthew
By Shiva.Jestta 2010-09-11 15:32:29  
Hello all~ just recently I managed to fry the motherboard of my laptop that I was planning to play FFXIV on. Due to this, I'm now in the market for a new computer. I've been shopping around a bit trying to find something that can play FFXIV on max settings, while trying to maintain a 1000$ budget. This is what I have come up with so far:

Case
iBUYPOWER Lexa-S AMD Dragon Special Edition Gaming Case

Processor
[== Six Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU

Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan

Memory
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade from DDR3-1333 ** Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 1GB - PALIT Sonic Platinum - Core: 800MHz - Single Card
Video Card Brand
Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface
Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface

Power Supply
600 Watt -- Standard

Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Flash Media Reader/Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) 64-Bit

I was hoping somebody could provide me with some suggestions and opinions on this build and the few questions I have. So~

1. Will 4GB of RAM be enough for me to play FFXIV on max settings, while having background apps (youtube, jtv, etc.) running? If not, how much RAM would allow me to do this?

2. Personally I'm an ATI graphics card person, what would the ATI card equivalent of the the GeForce card be? Also, would this card be able to support my want to play on max settings (or the ATI equivalent?)

3. I know absolutely nothing about motherboards, so I could use some help. Will this motherboard work with all the other hardware I have, and if not what should I consider buying instead?

4. Is the power supply sufficient enough for me to effectively run my computer while playing FFXIV?

5. Seeing as I'm already over budget with this build by a small amount, is there anything I can reduce to something cheaper, while still keeping mostly the same functionality? (Like the HDD space, 1TB seems awfully excessive.)

6. Will the graphics card I've selected limit the usefulness of a 6-core processor? If so, should I consider changing to a quad-core, or possibly even a dual-core processor?

Sorry for the repeat thread, I know there are a million of them cropping up as we get closer to the FFXIV release. Anyways, any and all suggestions and opinions appreciated, thanks! :)

PC made through ibuypower.com if anybody was wondering.

Bismarck.Cordareo
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 15:47:18  
Okay, this post is going to be pretty barebones, it serves 2 purposes.

A: We can get you under 1000 easy and 2: I need some time to put together a nice detailed post answering your questions and giving you some options, so I am here, and thinking/working. :)
EDIT*
Need a few things from your end

A: Your screen size (i.e. 17 inches or 27 inches) or a link to your monitor you expect to use :)

B: Any extras like mouse and keyboard that you need or just the tower

C: Can you put together a computer or does it HAVE to be prebuilt?
By Matthew 2010-09-11 16:09:18  
The screen size is a good question, I actually need to buy a new one since my old one is being used on a basic family computer. Looking at just the basic of the basic, it will probably be this:

Monitor
17" Standard LCD 1280x1024 ASUS VB171D

No need for a mouse or keyboard, I always have an extra lying around so I'm good there.

I would preferably not put together my own computer, as everything I do has a tendency to go horribly horribly wrong (xbox modding memories...and that's basic!) but if I had a really great set of instructions, I could probably do it if needed.
 Shiva.Jestta
By Shiva.Jestta 2010-09-11 16:10:53  
Didn't notice the option to post as my other character, sorry! That's me.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 16:37:41  
Okay, Will come up with a few ideas, just got done crafting a butt load of iron subligar (get it? Butt load! Cause you wear them on your butt :P) Check back on this post for edits, I'll try not bumping this to the top 20 times with all my info I'll be putting here.

To answer your questions though

1. Will 4GB of RAM be enough for me to play FFXIV on max settings, while having background apps (youtube, jtv, etc.) running? If not, how much RAM would allow me to do this?

4GB is plenty of memory for most, but some think having more is going to do a ton more for them. If it's a huge concern, can always buy another 4GB of the exact same stuff and slap it in and presto, 8GB.

2. Personally I'm an ATI graphics card person, what would the ATI card equivalent of the the GeForce card be? Also, would this card be able to support my want to play on max settings (or the ATI equivalent?)

The newest cards are 5XXX series and the Fermi cards i.e. GT* 400 series
The 5830/5770 is plenty powerful enough.

3. I know absolutely nothing about motherboards, so I could use some help. Will this motherboard work with all the other hardware I have, and if not what should I consider buying instead?

That particular board is sufficient for the other hardware you posted. I can go more in depth if you want about each specific about a mother board.

4. Is the power supply sufficient enough for me to effectively run my computer while playing FFXIV?

yes, and if people tell you no, it's because they have no concept or knowledge of how a computer works and just like big numbers. The only way you'd need to go higher is with more a crossfire/sli set up.

5. Seeing as I'm already over budget with this build by a small amount, is there anything I can reduce to something cheaper, while still keeping mostly the same functionality? (Like the HDD space, 1TB seems awfully excessive.)

You can reduce most of it, since most of it is overboard/over priced. For example, the GTX460 and processor can be reduced to a Phenom IIX4 965 and a 5770 saving you easily $100.

6. Will the graphics card I've selected limit the usefulness of a 6-core processor? If so, should I consider changing to a quad-core, or possibly even a dual-core processor?

This question is a bit akward, since the amount of cores is not where your issue would lie, but in other areas. Needless to say, 6core processors are not as great as they sound. A Phenom II X4 955/965 currently are still the best bang for your buck within AMD and Intel.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-11 17:05:01  
save up to $4k and get a basic one of these
http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/ProductCategoryDetail_catDesktop_productReactor1.aspx

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 18:07:00  
Hey Agles!

Just bumping, there will be a ***huge wall of text incoming with tons of clicky links, bear with me, I have to write this in word pad or I get lost in my own post and it looks likes garbled ***that only I can understand.

Will be about 10 more mins (maybe 15)
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-11 18:10:25  
I can't offer any help with specs or internal PC components, but you might wanna look at Cyberpower PC, they build custom gaming laptops and desk tops from the components and with the programs you want, kinda expensive, but I've heard they are better than Alienware.

Inb4 "lolAlienware"
By Zekko 2010-09-11 18:13:23  
LmaoAlienware
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 19:01:34  
Okay going to list some options here, trying to make this neat and easy to follow, and for stuff that carrys across all options, I'll seperate them into a seperate section (for example, the monitor I selected will be used for all of these options so going to have it's own seperate section in this post). The seperate sections will be labled EXTRA and EXTRADIY. Extra are for ALL sections, including prebuilt. EXTRADIY is for all DIY and HALF.

Options Labled DIY are ones you will build yourself. These ones are generally better in cost and you gain more performance, but in exchange you have to do it yourself. The savings are quite large. I strongly suggest everyone to take a dive into this type of computer shopping unless you are completely and morbidly afraid. All options labled DIY will be linked to a picture of a shopping cart on newegg with the hardware inside. All the hardware models are listed in text in the pictures and require little effort in finding them and putting them in your cart if you choose to go a DIY route.

Pros: You save quite a bit of money and in general experience great performance boosts.

Cons: You have individual warrenties per part instead of the computer as a whole (more of an inconvienance). You have to do the work yourself.

Options labled PB are Pre-built. This means it is put together and shipped to you as a finished product. Computer manufacturers have a fetish by putting more cost on these by increasing hard drive size by X amount. A computer that costs 900 may have the same specifications as one with a price tag of 1000 but the only difference is 500GB of Hard disk space which is not price efficiant. The options labled PB will only include links since it is one page instead of linking 10 pages to each piece of hardware.

Pros: No building yourself. 1 Warrenty for the whole system.

Cons: Costs more for less performance. No sense of accomlishment. Your wallet will cry blood and god will kill kittens! Not really, but it sounded good.

Options labled HALF are DIY combos where, same thing as DIY, but they are combos put together for the purpose of ordering it as 1 item instead of DIY items. They still require the extras.

Option 1 (DIY)

Option 2 (DIY)
Option 3 (DIY)
Option 4 (PB)

Option 5 (PB)
Linky
This option is also similar to Option 2 (DIY) and is less process power but more in the graphics department. What this translates to is less multi task (i.e. Youtube and FFXIV) and more single task performance (better graphics for FFXIV).

Option 6 (PB)
Linky
The last PB and once again, similar to the other PB and Option 2 (DIY). The green case is pretty cool. :)

Option 7 (HALF)
Linky
Basically a half and half between PB and DIY. Just another option.

EXTRA
I chose this monitor since it was a lot nicer then the one you chose and only 20 dollars more.

EXTRADIY
Heat sink

Thermal paste

These first two links are to another site, since newegg doesn't sell them, but you will need these.

CD/DVD drive
I don't know if you have taxes in your state (we don't have sales tax here in Oregon).

There are tons of sites that build computers. I always try to steer people away from them because it's a huge money sink for less performance, but some people just don't have an option or just can't help but feel safe with these places.

Dell
HP
Sony
Cyberpower PC
ibuypower
Alienware
If you decide to go these routes the basic things you will want are:

Intel i5 or better.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 or 965.

4 GB of DDR3 1333mhz (more then 1333mhz is an overclock on it's speed so don't bother).

ATI 5670 or Nvidia GTS 460. The numbers represent the card model, higher indicates higher end. With Nivida GTS becomes GTX in the high end version of it's cards. With ATI, anything about 57XX (i.e. 5830) is considered the start of it's high end cards.

Some optional things to look at with some of these websites that are more custom/indepth:

Powersupply 550~650W. The more W the more expansion you have later on. Anything above 550W is unnecessary unless you are planning on Crossfire or SLI (multiple GPU solutions) in the future.

Case (Don't really matter all to much)

Stick to Air cooling if you can since Liquid requires upkeep, unless you are comfortable with this.

Anyways, I feel like I covered every issue in this post, if you have questions feel free to ask. :)

BTW There might be ninja edits here and there, was in a rush to get this posted so you weren't asleep :(

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 19:52:29  
Siren.Agles said:
Cordareo, what kinda of upkeep is there with liquid? sense the desktop i ordered has it coming with it.

i read about changing out the water once a year and changing the tubs in like 2 years.

That and also you have to make sure the reservoir is full, I'd check it once a month to make sure it's full.

Air cooling and liquid cooling are both great, Liquid is for overclocking and air is for everything else. :)

Just make sure you don't leave it and forget about it.

Also, not sure if it ships full set up with the liquid cooling installed, I'd bust her open and check to make sure everything is snug, cause you don't wanna spring a leak :)

Or you could just follow whatever dell instructions are and let them replace it if it leaks, either or.

I just prefer air since it's no maintenance. :)

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-11 20:15:44  
Siren.Agles said:
will do, on checking it.

i have heard time and time again about pcs with ram sticks popping loose and such in shipping. plus, to drool over the pritty insides. though, id think it best to ship without coolent in it. id think there would be some kinda paper work that would say so. just half to wait for it to show up.

and, you seem to have alot of fun looking up pc stuff.

Heh, Make sure you take some photos and share with the community your new toy :)

As far as it goes with me and like looking up pc stuff, it's not so much that I like or have fun, I am just coming out of my shell when it comes to PC advice. I've always wanted to post and help out, but have always been anti-social about it. I think if I can do 10 good things helping out, that 10 good things will come back my way :). That or I'll just feel good. :)

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Cordareo
By Bismarck.Cordareo 2010-09-12 00:24:26  
Siren.Agles said:
i was also just thinking. all you did was fry the motherboard. i would quetion if other pc parts are working or not. but your case should be fine. so, could save yourself the $50-$100 on a case if you build.
maybe Cordareo knows how/if you can safely check the other parts. if you had a good graphics card thats still ok. then just get a normal pc with a good cpu and drop the graphics card in. could save a bundle there. that also goes for drives too. added storage plus midea from the old pc is still there.

but remember to check 1st. dont want to put a graphics card in that may have caused the motherboard to go in the 1st place. though i cant see a drive causing a motherboard to go. unless it had some funky virus on it.

Absolutely great suggestion, but the one thing that throws this entire suggestion out the window is...
Shiva.Jestta said:
laptop

So can't really do much, but RMA/Warrenty or take it to a 3rd party who has a spare board they can swap out (for quite a cost, sometimes not worth even considering).

All in all though, great contribution :)

Also, I will definitely bookmark that site and check back for pics in the coming up days/week :)

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Jestta
By Shiva.Jestta 2010-09-12 15:31:39  
I'm back, I appreciate the rush but I had work in 3 hours so I didn't get to keep posted here much yesterday. Just went through all the links and I have to say I'm extremely impressed, your very thorough! I appreciate all your guys suggestions and it seems I shouldn't have any problem finding the PC I need now and without problems. :) Thanks guys your awesome!